Skip to main content

tv   Consider This  Al Jazeera  September 29, 2013 10:00am-11:01am EDT

10:00 am
welcome to al jazeera. here are the top stories. congress moved the federal government one step closer to a shutdown. early this morning the house of representative's passed a bill from the government. only if congress agrees to delay the affordable care act and kill the tax to pay for the act. the bill moves through the senate where democrats promised to reject it. if a shutdown happens, entitlement programs will continue, including medicare, medicade and social security. tsa and border control officers will work. however, 800,000 federal workers and other agencies will be furloed, passports and visas
10:01 am
will not be processed. national parks and museums closed. >> international experts plan to start inspections of syria's chemical weapons arsenal by tuesday. the u.n. security council voted on friday to secure and/or store syria's chemical weapons. president obama prayed the approval. >> israeli prime minister benyamin netanyahu is set to challenge hassan rouhani's diplomatic charm offensive. he left for new york and hopes to challenge perceptions that iran is less of a nuclear threat under hassan rouhani. those are the headlines. >> is al-qaeda the strongest it's been in years?
10:02 am
new trouble from the terror group raises serious concerns. a few years after the death of osama bin laden and other key figures, has al-qaeda loft its leadership but gained power? what role do celebrities play in helping international aid relief no golden globe nominated actress sienna miller is seeking help in humanitarian crises. >> an alien life may or may not have been discovered. voyager one may or may not have left the solar system and you may soon be able to travel to space, or maybe not. hello, i'm antonio mora. welcome to consider this. just a few months ago, president obama declared the terror group was on the path to defeat. or is it? al-qaeda is stealing support from u.s. backed rebels in syria and the
10:03 am
nairobi mall massacre maybe a reunderstood threat from the security group. >> require i can't will be required to abandon its chemical weapons arsenal, but it will not include the threat of force against syria if bashar al assad's government fails to comply. the spokesperson for the syria national coalition said the syria opposition remains wary of any deal. >> he has killed 110,000 people. can you trust someone who what committed such a trays cities. >> 11 syrian rebel groups issued a at the same time calling for the establishment of sharia law. it's a key denext. three of the groups were aligned with the u.s. backed opposition. sala discounted the new alliance. >> these groups are not part of the resolution. they do not represent the syrian people. they represent a small minority. >> it remains unclear with the statement is one of discontent of leadership or a pledge of allegiance to al-qaeda.
10:04 am
>> the president of tune nearby is that warns al-qaeda is staging a comeback feeding off the anger of the piecened arab spring. he pointed to two recent al-qaeda linked assassinations. >> they didn't assassinate one human being, they assassinated a whole nation. >> he says hundreds of young tunisia men have gone to fight. this is the al-qaeda linked al shabab attack, the large evident attack in kenya since the u.s. embass bombing in 1998. >> joining me now are jack rice, former c.i.a. officer who covered the middle east extensively in our studio in minnesota and kenneth catsman, tracking al-qaeda's revolution for more than 20 years, coming
10:05 am
to us from washington, d.c. seems like so much for al-qaeda on the run. our map shows affiliates of al-qaeda in iraq, syria, a number of african countries and yemen, countries pretty much all over the world, that doesn't include its presence in the far east. al-qaeda is swaying more hold over according to the economists, over more territory now and recruiting more fighters than anytime in its history. >> i think it's true. we are seeing an expansion of affiliates. there really is no command in control. there is no control from al-qaeda, meaning in afghanistan, and if you can't coordinate attacks, it makes it much more difficult, and yet at the same time, we have to realize that when you have really truly independent organizations, it's hard to take the organization as a whole down, because you have to fight them one by one. >> the economists also had this
10:06 am
quote: >> ken, what do you think? are they winning? >> well, i don't really see them as winning, to tell you the truth, because they've really shifted, really, the threat to the united states' homeland and to the european mainland i think is much diminished. these al-qaeda affiliates have expanded, yes, there are more of them in more places, yes, but other than al-qaeda in the arabian peninsula, all of these affiliates are really focused on the countries where they are operating. for example, al-qaeda in iraq is trying to destabilize prime minister malaki, in syria trying to oust bashar al assad. it's a different threat. i wouldn't say winning or losing.
10:07 am
that's the wrong way to look at it. it's an evolving threat, a different challenge than it was on the eve of the september 11 attacks. >> let's look at specific countries, starting with injury. as the chemical weapons deal is moving forward, any unified movement to bashar al assad is in shambles. some of the strongest fighters joined al-qaeda linked fighters, reacting to that news, a spokesman for what is a a more and more track further moderate coalition tried to put a good face on thing. >> we say we are in a state of war. we are not democratically elected and this is the reality. if we can represent 80%, 90% of the sirens, we've done a tremendous job. >> they may have the most support among the syrian population, but some experts
10:08 am
estimate that now about 80% of 100,000 or so rebel fighters are leaning moderate to hard line jihadists. >> they are trying to shine this up. when you see a coalition that starts to splinter the way it is, you can't simply say this isn't a big deal. this is a big deal. if we think about who's supporting whom, it's not just about the civilians. there's some 2 million plus people either refugees or displaced people inside of syria itself. we need to talk about the 100,000 fighters, who those people are, who they support and if they're going moderate to more extreme in terms of what they believe, how are you going to get the coalition to take the leadership role with those guys and that's a real problem for them. >> it's beyond the splintering. there's on going fighting among the factions. this week, we saw the syrian free army killed an al-qaeda linked leader, kurdish fighters
10:09 am
also killed another al-qaeda leader. there seems to be a civil war within a civil war. what happens now, and how does the west, the u.s. in particular figure out what to do and whom to support? >> it's one of the biggest problems. when you start looking at syria in general, let's just take one simple example. you think of the kurds in northern syria, the kurds, the p.k.k., they cross not just syria, but they cross parts of northern iraq, they take a large swath of turkey. how do you convince those groups to be a part of a broader coalition, while at the same time, you're looking at other elements that may be not with the coalition, but that doesn't necessarily make them al-qaeda. i think personally that one of the things that the u.s. is afraid of is they're afraid of repeating some of the mistakes that we made in afghanistan because in the 19 create's, where all of a sudden we were funding organizations and people and eventually, those people turned against us. >> this is what john mccain said
10:10 am
earlier this month about the western backed free syrian army. >> the overwhelming majority of the syrian people want bashar al assad gone. by the way, they are not extremists and jihadists and the syrian people would reject extremists and jihadists. >> common thread is that all want assad gone. if he goes, what happens if the strength is really in these less moderate hands, what will happen? >> yes, and i think he is going to fall fairly soon. if you looked at a battlefield map recently, he's lost a tremendous amount of territory. even rebel in fighting is not material to the overall fight. the rebels are advancing in difference provinces, even as this in-fighting is going on. what happens after he's gone?
10:11 am
syria is a very mediterranean coastal , western looking society. >> so was lebanon in the 1970's and look what's happened there. >> ok, but even the islamist groups in lebanon are very different from the taliban or yemen, saudi, islamists. basically, real radical islam takes root mainly in the interior of the arabian peninsula, the desert. the coastal areas of the middle east tend to be more moderate, more cosmopolitan. radical puritanical is plaquist movements tend to be rejected or watered down substantially. if you look at muslim brotherhood in egypt, it's much more modern than many islamists in yemen or saudi arabia. syria is going to be syria no matter what. it's
10:12 am
secular, mediterranean, coastal, and it's going to water down these very puritanical islamic tendencies. >> a lot of reports say these groups are much better organized, fund understand and it's creating problems for the west as to whom to give money to. >> yeah, that's one of the biggest problems of all. if we think about this from an american per specti, what the americans have been trying to do is to figure out how to support the coalition. yet at the same time, they're petrified if they support them, some resources will end up in the hands of the al-qaeda affiliates or other extremist groups. what happens when you deny resources to the coalition, it makes the coalition seem weak, makes them seem incompetent and strangely enough, by denying the coalition resources, you strengthen the mother extremist groups who say look, these guys aren't doing everything.
10:13 am
>> let's go back to the big al-qaeda, the one original remnant left. a warning was issued to anyone who would work with the west, specifically in syria. >> the united states and its allies try to support the secular parties but failed. they started to form new awake anyones in syria that will fail. i warn my brothers not to form any relationships with these parties. what happened in egypt is a perfect lesson on this. >> we talked earlier that there was no central leadership, that it's also u. all going to spread out. does he have a say with the al-qaeda folks in syria or is he more of a somewhat inspirational figure. >> i see no evidence of significant connections between him in pakistan and al-qaeda
10:14 am
fighters in syria. they call themselves al-qaeda, but i think they're using the al-qaeda brand to recruit, to bring in people from chechnya, fighters, jihadist fighters, libya, elsewhere. al-qaeda, when we think of al-qaeda, it's bin ladennism. that trend is really on the dehe cline. we have to look at al-qaeda really as a group of local maxes, all focused on the politics and environment of the countries they are operating. i see zawahri having no influence on what is going on in syria at all. >> actually, i agree. we he look at what he has actually said. his influence is far more in egypt than syria. he's from egypt himself. when you look at the recent arab spring and realize what has
10:15 am
happened there, that influence is there because he has that personal connection, but there is no more command and control, and that has been one of the things that the west has been effective in lopping off. that doesn't mean they're gone, it just means it's not being directed from elsewhere. >> there's been al shabab recruiting in minnesota. there's been videos about the so-called martyrs, the path to paradise. here's one of the comments from that video. >> if you guys only knew how much fun we have over here. this is the real disney land. come here and join us. >> now, that young man apparently went on to be a suicide bomber. we know that al-qaeda, the leadership did years ago send fighters to africa. do you see some of the people we've talked over the past few days think al shabab has not gotten stronger, that nine robey
10:16 am
was an act are desperation? >> we take a look back at one of the international attacks in uganda in 2010, this one going after soft targets, if they were going after african union troops, kenyan troops, it would show their power, but it also shows willingness to get out there and swing. i agree in this point, if we look at what al shabab is doing, they're in east africa, inside of somalia, just touching on kenya, but that's tied to civil war issues that the kenyans are involved in. they're not reaching beyond that. they don't have that capability, certainly not at this point. >> final question, what does this mean for america. i know you both have said you think the way al-qaeda is functioning now that attacking abroad is getting harder and harder. with these kind of lone wolf attacks or small groups especially when you've got people coming from the united states to train in those places, do we need to be worried? >> well, we're seeing diplomats in the region need to be
10:17 am
worried, there are other installations in the persian gulf that we use to defend the persian golf security, installations in africa. i think u.s. personnel, u.s. citizens in the middle east, north africa, south asia region. i think the dangers have increased. in terms of the homeland and european mainland, i think it's substantially less threatens than it was in 2001. >> let's hope that is the case. jack rice, ken catsman, on inside story, we bring together unexpected voices closest to the story, invite hard-hitting debate and desenting views and always explore issues relevant to you.
10:18 am
10:19 am
10:20 am
10:21 am
10:22 am
10:23 am
10:24 am
10:25 am
10:26 am
10:27 am
10:28 am
10:29 am
10:30 am
>> film fans know sienna miller gracing red carpets around the world for more than a decade. she's also been a global action bass door for the international medical core. the group has done relief world around are the world for decades. miller has helped launch a first responders program. >> it's basically we are trying to enable people in communities to become self efficient, so the best response to a disaster is from the people on the ground from the communities themselves. that is our commitment here at the clinton global initiative. we've launder the celebrities
10:31 am
first responders, people who will lend their names in appeals and which had hopefully spike traffic, et cetera. >> how important is it to get those people involved and to help out. >> i think the culture we live in, people respond to that sort of assistance from well known people. it really does make a huge difference for the organization. i feel fortunate to have gotten some of the people we've managed to recruit. >> you've been active, traveling to the congo, haiti, through your roam as an ambassador. what kind of things have you seen, what has struck you the most? >> i've seen so many things, too many to recount. i've seen a woman who flat lined in a makeshift tent in port-au-prince and two minutes later, from doctors, she came back to life. that was the most profound experience. i met victims of gbg and
10:32 am
malnutrition and scarfation. it's always an encouraging work in the field, because you see the things done. most of the medical staff are locally trained individuals. it's not putting a bandaid on a problem, it's training a community to become resilient and self sufficient, which is vital. >> the positive consequences of what you see overcome just very tough situations that you face, death, disaster, how do you deal with the suffering you witness, and how has it changed you? >> well, you know, it's impossible not to be effected by it, it's devastating. in a sense, it's a huge gift, you realize how fortunate we are in the world we live in and how wonderful i am in my life. it's devastating, heartbreaking and very hard as a new mother to not feel affected especially by the children who are victims of disease and poverty and a lot of
10:33 am
its preventable. you try to shine a light on the fantastic work the association is doing. you know, keep working at it. >> the greatest humanitarian crisis going on right now in the word is in syria, a couple of million refugees who have left the country, you've got 5 million people displaced within the country. the international medical core hob working in syria since 2007, they started helping iraq keys fleeing the iraq war, now in the middle of another humanitarian crisis. the medical core was just given a big grant to help syrian refugees that have gone to turkey. how much have you heard about what the organization is doing there? >> it's not something i'm going to talk about now. it's obviously a delicate situation and a terrifying crisis, but the international core are in 70 countries around the world. our focus is on africa to enable
10:34 am
them to become self sufficient. that's what we're here to talk about. >> the international medical core has responded to familiar anyone in somalia, ethnic cleansing, to the tsunami, the challenges must be enormous when the organization goes and faces those kinds of crises. they've been around for 30 years. it's a significant organization. >> it is. >> what would you tell people who would like to support them? >> i just think it's an organization that really is completely incredible. i've seen the work firsthand, and as i said before, what they do, which is really different is they train the community to become self sufficient, so it's empowering, respectful of the countries that we're visiting. the work they do is incredibly beneficial for tons of people. it's an organization they should definitely look into. >> how does the organization
10:35 am
coordinate with other humanitarian organizations? what have you seen when you've gone and helped in responding to these cries? >> last year, i was in the horn of africa and there are obviously tons of ngo's, a big crisis at the famine. the u.n. tends to run the whole thing and other organizations, everyone pitches together so you can do nutrition, sanitation after a while, people get allocated to different things. it doesn't tend to be too competitive in that situation. everyones there ultimately for the goal of helping as many as possible, and of course that means cooperating with other organizations. we worked with many, many different people over the years, and crib to do so. i think our incentive is to reach as many people as possible. >> interestingly, we're a bunch of news people here and none of us, we were having a discussion earlier, had heard about the
10:36 am
international revenue core, even though it's had a revenue over $230 million, that's up there with doctors without borders that everybody knows about. why do you think the international medical core, very well managed, has managed to fly under the radar? >> i think it's, you know, the focus for the organization has really been on the work and it's incredibly beneficial to have exposure. what i'm trying to do is shine a light on the organization as much as possible, but a lot of the funding, money that people spend on advertising, we put into the field, work and programs that we're running. but obviously, exposure is important, this is why with the group of first responders, we have january ham, robert patterson, trying to get medical core on the map. we're doing incredible work, but people haven't necessarily heard of us, so that's where i come in. >> important message to get out. >> what country do you hope to work in next?
10:37 am
>> i'm hopefully planning a trip to jordan. that's next on the agenda. i'd love to go back to the congo. it's stunningly beautiful and in such crisis, i really fell in love with it. there are tons of places. i'd love to go everywhere, all their programs are inspiring. i'd love to visit them all. >> sienna miller, global ambassador, thank you for joining us. >> thank you very much. >> we wish you and the organization the worlds best efforts. >> you can visit >> obama administration officials said they need to enrol 2.7 u.s. redents between the ages of 18 and 35 in exchange plans to balance risks and hold down costs. will they enrol come 1 october -
10:38 am
should they pay the face. >> joining me now is jen mishory, deputy director of young invincibles, she's in washington d.c. and yevgeniy feyman, a research assistant at the manhattan institute. thank you for being with us. i want to start with you yevgeniy feyman. the young people are crucial to the success of obamacare. >> absolutely. they'll balance out the risk pool, they'll keep premiums that need the insurance, and the administration is reaching out to them. >> jen, the young invincibles are in the 18-34 group. >> getting your favorite songs for free is not new but for an industry that has suffered extreme lows, pandora, an on line streaming service won a federal court case. the decision up holds its right to the play all the compositions
10:39 am
in the catalog. the counsel says: what does i did mean for the music industry and how will it affect musicians? joining us from phoenix is bill wyman and singer songwriter and guitarist david lowry. thanks for being with us tonight. bill, it's a whole new world. we've got traditional radio, satellite radio, the itunes of the world, music streaming websites, c.d.s are still out there. royalties depend on how the music is being played, where it's being played. can you try to explain how musicians make their money especially with this whole music streaming thing? >> well, antonio, thanks for having me and i'll try. it's such a complicated world. this is something where a whole lot of lawyers got involved
10:40 am
really early on. you have to remember that the music business is one of the more corrupt industries that we have in america, and they sort of devoted themselves to keeping as much money from artists as it ever has and you have all this combined with the the absolute vaporization of the industry. the one thing we should know going forward is there are a couple kinds of royalties, one if you're the songwriter and one the performer. for a beatles song, john and paul are getting money every time it's played because they wrote the song, but the beatles george and ringo get no money when it's played, because they pay only song writing righties, not performance righties. a whole lot of other things, new streaming services, the music industry said wait a minute, we're not going to let you get away with only paying the song
10:41 am
writers, they have the song writing, called publishes and performance, so you have two streams of royalties, but then you have these myriad forms. you have radio, you have the c.d.'s, but you also have juke boxes, pandora, which is one form of streaming, spottify, placement commercials and t.v. shows, movies and myriad of others. each of these all with royalties coming on different miniscule percentages, and paying the song writers and performers. >> on paper, you think musicians must be making a ton of money. the royalties you received from pandora was $16 for the song low, a song of yours being played more than a million times. you own 40% of that song, that means pandora paid everybody just $40.25.
10:42 am
your song being played again and again and again on line, but how do you make money from this? >> well, yes. that's true. i mean, when you look at that and you say what -- where else do you get a million of anything, except maybe the old lira for $17. i mean, a million of anything for, you know, essentially $17, or a total of $42 for everybody involved in writing the songs is a little crazy. i also get a little money, though, as a performer. i'm one of the lucky ones, i'm also the performer, and so i get another $151, also from that million. i should be clear. the main problem, though, is that in this country, unlike almost every ore country in the world, we've decided to force songwriters to
10:43 am
license their songs to webcasters, right? we can't opt out. further, we essentially set this rate based -- the government actually sort of man dates that we have to let the webcasters use our songs and we also -- they also set the price essentially through this rate court in new york. now here we are, the bastion of capitalism and we've got the government regulating songs and setting the prices like it's nylons and it's world war ii or sugar or something like that. it's fairly bizarre, because i don't really know what the right price for a song is. i mean, maybe it's a little more than that, maybe a lot more than that, i just know it's not the rate we're getting paid right now, because there is no free market in song. >> we have a social media
10:44 am
question for you. hermela. >> after news broke that pandora won their court case, a lot of people felt few significances and artists were wronged by the outcome of the case, but for musicians, are there any positives to music services like pandora and spottify? >> well, yes, let me talk about there's webcasting and there's streaming. streaming is on demand, webcasting is you don't really get to choose the song. you get paid a lot more from streaming it wases and it's a percentage of revenue, so if in fact, you're paying for premium spottify, more money is going to the artist. ok no if you're using the ad service, you know, artists are -- the ad supported service, artists are getting fairly -- well, it's not great.
10:45 am
>> when you're talking c.d.'s, as a song righter, you can make a lot of money if you sell publisher c.d.s, some artists are making $8 on a $9.99 c.d., but it's being sold out there as a retail album, the artist is only getting a dollar and the label is also getting a dollar, but what's really surprising is when you download a full album at $9.99, the label is getting $5.35 and the artist only 94 cents. how does that work? >> this was interesting and what happened when we went to the digital era, and this is a point where i might agree with bill on this, is that the artist's royalties remain the same, but the record label's cost shrank dramatically. >> that's the question i wanted to ask.
10:46 am
in digital, you've got no production cost, so how in the world is the label making all that money and the artist making less? >> all these deals were cut before everyone understood how the digital age was going to evolve and some artists were suing the companies a lot saying hey, a digital download is like when a movie uses our song, because they generally split those proceeds and label said no, no, when you sell it digitally, you only get your dollar royalty. it didn't cost the label that much to make the c.d.'s. it was a quarter or 50 cents or even if it was a dollar and artists are always going to get roughly 10% of that money. what's happened now is once artists, because art its are smart and have smart managers and as time moved on have gottennen higher and higher royalty rates. it's not bog to matter, because c.d. sales are a quarter of what they were 10 years ago, people
10:47 am
are buying it at 14th as many. i think that maybe, the model might be spottify, ok, now, the problem with pandora is that you get a very small per stream rate, a small percentage of a current, but that's because it's one person listening to it. where as with radio, 10,000 people might be listening to it. ok? with spottify, because the rate as david said, the listener gets to choose, you do get a little more money. spottify makes the argument that look, it's like renting, if you buy a bruce springsteen album and listen to it 10,000 times, how much per listen did you pay for and if you're getting a nickel a track on spottify, over time over 10 years, that might actually add up to a lot of money. >> i want to get one last question in. we're seeing big brands. >> you don't get a nickel a track on spottify, all rights holders, the record labels, artists get about .6 of a cent.
10:48 am
>> half a cent, you're right, yeah. >> 110th of that. but spottify, yes, could be the way, but the rails need to go up, and they need to pay higher rates. spottify is the right idea, it just doesn't pay enough by my back of the match book calculation. >> guys, we're going to have to leave it there. certainly the big brand nails are still making a lot of money, the rihannas and stay lower swifts of the word. it wasn't long ago, artists were getting $3 million deals and those days are long gone. appreciate you being with us tonight. >> consider are this will be right back. on inside story, we bring together unexpected voices closest to the story, invite hard-hitting debate and desenting views and always explore issues relevant to you.
10:49 am
10:50 am
>> space scientists have been very busy especially over the past couple of weeks from finding proof of water on mars to the voyager becoming the
10:51 am
first spacecraft to enter interstellar space. scientists claim they have discovered proof of alien life after collecting dust samples during a recent meteor shower. they found single cell algae. the question now is where did these diatoms come from, derrick, thanks for joining us. what are the chances that these diatoms are from another planet? there's some discussion about this. not everybody agrees on this discovery. >> it would be really wonderful if there was much more concrete evidence about these diatoms actually having come from space. montenegrin are these tiny single celled, i believe concrete you haves found in sea water here on the plan net surface on the earth.
10:52 am
there was really only one piece of a diatoms found. it's hardly conclusive. in addition, if you continue to read further, you find out that the sample wasn't taken very broadly and a number of other small complicating factors. when we get down to it, it's hard to take this on the surface value for what they claim it could be. >> so no sure ail yep life yet. let's switch over to mars and the new pictures from in the is as curious city rover, offering evidence that mars was once wet. is it clear now that mars definitely had water at some point and the question becomes could that have supported life? >> i have to say, antonio, many years ago, back in the late 1970's looking at satellite photographs of mars, using air photo analysis techniques applied to swelling. >>, it was really evident that
10:53 am
long ago that many of the surface features we see on mars are created by the flow of some liquid across the surface. after having seen chemical evidence of the fact that minerals found on mars, some mineral that can only be created in a watery environment certainly proved to me as well as many other scientists that mars was much, much wetter in its past. in fact, if you look closely, what you find is there's still water frozen into the surface soil of mars as perma frost. it doesn't exist on the surface, but we know for sure water is there, and know mars did have large bodies of water in its past. >> so life or no life? >> i would love for there to have been life. we need to find some fat sills or find some more contemporary evidence. i think it would make a lot of sense to send some paleontologists to mars and they
10:54 am
would find the evidence pretty quickly. >> we're talking about sending people to mars, there's a reality t.v. show that is trying to send people to mars and establish a colony there, but according to nasa, a man mission to mars won't be possible soon, because it would expose astronauts to radiation that would lead to cancer. will it be a long time before that allows us to get to mars? >> so space exploration has never really been an easy thing to do. it's fraught with risks and there's no lack of risks in sending people to mars for other reasons besides the radiation factor and that's a problem. what we've been able to do is find ways to mitigate risks to make it worthwhile to make such trips. if we can come up with a method to mitigate the radiation exposure, that opens the door to travel around the solar system more freely, martian would be one of the first places to go to
10:55 am
nail down this question of whether or not there is any other life in other solar system. >> i'm sure we'd like to go back to the moon. the moon is 100 million years younger than scientists had previously believed. the question, though, is we're talking billions of years here, so 100 million not so much in the grand scheme of things. what's the significance of the discovery? >> i think the significance of the discovery runs in two directions, really, it's our ability to further interpret the evidence that we're collecting, both from earth as its history of its early formation with the moon, and our ability to better analyze lunar samples, as well, that tell us, give us more details about the early history of the moon. the other piece is that being able to better understand how the moon was formed in this solar system can give us hint and clues about the formation of planets orbiting other stars in our
10:56 am
galaxy, it helps us get a better view or understanding of what may have been going on or what could be going on in other solar systems. it's only recently that we've been able to clearly identify planets orbiting other stars and certainly hundreds of that, so there's a much bigger story for us to chase down. >> we may chase down more of that information now that voyager one spacecraft according to nasa has become the first man made object that has entered interstellar space, passing the atmosphere around the sun. there's been debate if this has happened at all. >> oh, yes, the debate has been going on for a couple of years now. the reason why is because as we get to these outer reaches of the solar system, we are encountering a region we're not familiar with. a few years ago, as early as last year, scientists were unsure about whether or not we
10:57 am
had past the helio pause, because it seemed we were outside, back in, then out, then back in. it was at that point the physicists realized that it was pulsing back and forth over the spacecraft. so now that we're well and you said of it, we can detect that we've actually past is and are that much further out. not out of the solar system yet be, still a ways fog for that, but at least as far as we've ever sent anything before. >> let's get a social media question. >> thanks, antonio. what is the expected life span of voyager one? >> that's a great question. engineers expect voyager one will continue to operate for another decade or so, 12 years or more. around that time period, 12 years and that's a really wonderful thing, because it tells us that the engineering that went into this was really
10:58 am
good, we'll be able to continue to do good science. the longer the spacecraft lasts, the more bang we get for our buck that we pay for to build these. 35 years is a long time for a spacecraft. these will eventually have cost us just pennies by the time they run out of energy. >> bang for your buck, the new spacecraft for the international space station had to skip its first attempt to link up with the space station. this is private money going to these new rockets. a good idea, you think that we have taken a lot of this private? >> oh, i think it's a fabulous idea. i makes perfect sense. thinking back to the early 1990s what a lot of corporations did was out source the easy work and did the things they could focus on and do it well. this is the kind of thing nasa needs to focus on. i think it's the direction they're going in farming out the easy stuff.
10:59 am
it doesn't take much to launch toilet paper and tissues up to the international space station. nasa is doing what i call evolving from being a space program of the 1950's and 1960ed and 1970's to being a space program of the 21st century in which they take on the big jobs, going back to the moon, going on to mars and the other daring things in the solar system and leaving the six delivery work to be outsourced. >> we may have space to yourism starting in a few months. it will cost you a quarter million dollars. i'm sure you'd like to go, i hope you're saving. thank you for being on the show tonight. the show may be over, but the conversation continues on facebook or our google plus places. you can also go to twister. we'll see you next time.
11:00 am
... >> welcome now to al jazeera. watching the clock and waiting, 37 hours until a government shutdown. today, the political powerplays kick into high gear. for military families, a possible shut down hits much closer to home. the latest in a string of deadly attacks. the newest target, a drewcrowde market in pakistan. the government is one step closer to a shut down. early this morning, house republicans voted on a spending bill that would keep the government running but delay the

73 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on