tv The Papers BBC News February 4, 2020 10:45pm-11:01pm GMT
should leave the country, if they can, to minimise the risk of exposure to the coronavirus. that's the official advice published by the foreign office earlier today. work is continuing to bring home britons from hubei province, where the outbreak began. so far, 427 people have died from the virus — all but two in mainland china — with more than 20,000 cases confirmed in 26 countries. the number of cases is thought to be doubling every few days, but the world health organization says it still does not amount to a pandemic. 0ur correspondentjohn sudworth has the latest from beijing. in wuhan, they have turned this stadium into a hospital — state media using images like these to reinforce a message. china's getting things under control. but the deserted airports and cancelled flights show it's fear that seems to be winning.
now the uk, along with germany, france and new zealand, are advising those who can to leave. it has prompted some to try to bring their flights forward. the british government advice has not really been that helpful because you can'tjust take a flight out. if the flights are not there, they are not available, so, yes. lydia, did it add to your sense of worry when you heard governments telling people to get out if they can? yeah, a little bit. the biggest worry was that the city would get locked down because we were in the second worst province after hubei, chongqing. so there have been cities in the province that have been quarantined and once you are quarantined, you are stuck. this is more than 500 miles from wuhan, residents kept indoors, transport shut down. these scenes are driving fears in foreign capitals that the virus
may not be contained. the advice to 30,000 britons in china to head to the airports is extraordinary. the world's second largest economy, deeply integrated into global supply chains and transport networks, now essentially deemed too risky. but it is not easy for all brits to leave. little baby atlas doesn't yet have a passport. it seems to be that the news is saying that the elderly and the young are the most vulnerable to viruses generally, so we are a little bit anxious about that. and danny's wife is a chinese national without a valid visa. but the uk government has announced that should not matter. i have spoken to the chinese foreign minister and received reassurances that no families that want to return with a uk national will find themselves divided on the basis of dual nationality.
china is fighting on, but with so much still unknown about this virus, the international community is not taking any chances. john sudworth, bbc news, beijing. let's talk a little more about today's events. 0ur global health correspondent tulip mazumdar is with me. what is behind the decision? it's based more on logistics than public health. china has been severely restricting travel in the country and there are concerns that it is going to be increasingly difficult for british people to get back. last week, british airways and virgin announced they were suspending direct flights between the uk and china. there are still some other carriers that are travelling between the two countries and the country has said today, if you can get onto one of those flights, get on one of those flights. quite a lot of talk today about the contrast between
what the british government is doing what the british government is doing what the british government is doing what the world health organization is suggesting, what can you tell us? the official advice from the world health organization is to not read strict travel or trade at all. they say there is no public health reason to do that and it can just stigmatise some of these communities around the world. we have just heard tonight that there is a belgian woman who was on board a flight bringing people back from china into france. it has been confirmed she has the coronavirus. there were 11 british people on that flight as well. ten of them have already been quarantined on the wirral at hospital there. the 11th person is being tested for the coronavirus. as and when the symptoms come up, there is people will be diagnosed very quickly and will get treatment very quickly. that is what we're seeing, these quite severe measures being taken here in the uk, quarantining people off planes and all around the world and it is in the hope that they can stop this becoming a global
pandemic. that is where you would see sustained person—to—person spread in communities, in different countries all around the world. at the moment, we're seeing that but it's hope some of the more extreme measures. that from happening. thank you very much. a surgeon in the west midlands was allowed to get away with hundreds — maybe thousands — of unnecessary or mutilating operations, because a dysfunctional health system did not tackle his actions. an official inquriy has found that opportunities to stop ian paterson were missed because of a culture of denial and avoidance among staff at nhs and private hospitals. as a result, five health professionals have been referred to their regulatory bodies. west midlands police are also looking at another employee. the inquiry is recommending that the cases of more than 11,000 other patients should now be reassessed, as our correspondent sian lloyd reports. ian paterson's malpractice was on a devastating scale. the number of patients affected
became clearer today. many of these women were told they had cancer when they didn't and underwent needless operations. others were subjected to untested surgical techniques. they had campaigned for this independent inquiry, which found they had been failed by the health care system at every level. if you were a paterson patient, you were 50% more likely to get a re—occurrence of breast cancer because you had been left with breast tissue, basically a time bomb, in your chest, ready to explode, ready to give you cancer, because he didn't remove it. ian paterson had treated thousands of patients. concerns had been raised about him in 2003, but he continued to practice, both in the nhs and the independent sector, until 2012. he'd moved between hospitals in the west midlands without criticism being shared between the places where he'd worked. two years ago, he was found guilty in a criminal court and his sentence for wounding later increased
from 15 to 20 years. today, the man who chaired this inquiry said opportunities to stop paterson had been repeatedly missed. my report sets out what can only be described as wilful blindness in relation to paterson's behaviour and aberrant clinical practice. colleagues avoided or worked around him. some could have known, others should have known, and a few must have known. his report makes 15 recommendations. including automatic suspension if a person is investigated and patients are considered at risk. and that the information is passed on to their other places of work. creating a database where patients can check a consultant's previous performance. and making patient safety a top priority across current regulation. i think ijust hated him from that minute. knowing that somebody in his position could be so devious and nasty.
ian paterson subjected judy conduit to three operations she didn't need. she can't understand how he got away with it. if somebody had taken notice when they reported mr paterson, so many people could have been spared what he put them through. but theyjust let him carry on. there was a culture of avoidance, supervisors appeared to wait for others to act. the nhs trust where paterson worked says it supports the recommendations, whilst spire healthcare admits opportunities were missed. we should have called them sooner, we have changed. spire is changed. we have got much better regulation of consultants today. ian paterson had abused hundreds of patients. the question they've asked is whether it could happen again. the inquiry acknowledged that some improvements to regulation have been made, but said that patient safety still doesn't come high enough. sian lloyd, bbc news, birmingham.
in 15 years' time, people will no longer be able to buy a new petrol, diesel or hybrid car. that's the new target set by the government as part of its plans to tackle the climate crisis. the ban has been brought forward by five years and the announcement was made in glasgow at the launch of a un climate summit. but as our science editor david shukman reports, the launch took place days after the sacking of the woman who was organising the summit. around the world, more and more drivers are going electric. some countries faster than others. norway wants a total switch over in the next five years. and now, the government is planning for the uk to do that by 2035. terence hall, a driving instructor in swansea, wants an electric car but worries about keeping it going. it's very hard around here to find somewhere to even charge a vehicle unless you've got your own property.
so, unless you can find your own off—road parking, you've just got to park on the side of the street, which is not the best idea for someone who's got an electric car. installing enough charging points is a big challenge, and of course, someone has to pay for them. and then there is improving the cables that supply the chargers. new tunnels beneath london arejust the beginning. cost is definitely an issue. according to our research, drivers always say that upfront costs for electric vehicles is always one of the main barriers to going electric, so we have been consistently saying to the government that they need to provide clear incentives to drive us to do so. turning our back on the pollution from petrol and diesel engines is part of the government's plans to tackle climate change. and every green initiative by the uk is now in the international spotlight. that's because a major united nations summit on climate change will be held in glasgow later this year. but the official who was planning it, claire o'neill,
was sacked last week, and she has now attacked the prime minister, saying he isn't taking the problem seriously. he's also admitted to me that he doesn't really understand it, and it's good... reporter: really? he said that to you, did he? yes, i mean, he said all sorts of things over the years, but you know, this is, as i think i said in my letter, this... reporter: he said he doesn't understand climate change ? well, he doesn't really get it, i think is what he said, but others around him do. have you been sleeping here all night? her timing was deliberate. borisjohnson was unveiling his climate plans at the science museum in london today, with the help of sir david attenborough. we don't need to emphasise to them or to you that the longer we leave it, not doing things but going on talking about the problems, the worse it's going to get. afterwards, borisjohnson chose not to answer any awkward questions. prime minister, why did you sack claire o'neill? when are you going to name her successor? thank you.
when are you going to name her successor? so, i've just stepped out of the event here at the science museum, where downing street officials said no one could ask questions. i tried anyway but got nowhere, so we still don't know the detail of the government's plans on climate change, or who's going to run the huge summit due to take place in glasgow in november. the future is electric. so, there is a vision of a green future, but also uncertainty about how we'll get there. david shukman, bbc news. the brother of the manchester arena bomber has gone on trial today at the old bailey. in the prosecution's opening remarks, the jury was told that hashem abedi was just as guilty of murdering the 22 people who died as his brother, salman, who detonated a bomb during an ariana grande concert in 2017. abedi, who's 22, denies all the charges against him, as our home affairs correspondent daniel sandford reports. teenage sweethearts chloe rutherford
and liam curry died side by side in the manchester arena bomb. today, their mothers arrived together — liam's mum pushing chloe's in her chair. the families of 15—year—old megan hurley and kelly brewster were also there to hear the evidence. they're just four of the 22 people killed in the bomb, aged from eight to 51. other bereaved families were watching the trial by video link. oh, my god... the bomb went off at 10:31 at the ariana grande concert on the 22nd of may 2017. sirens. as well as those killed, 264 were injured. the bomber, salman abedi, was blown to pieces. but today, his younger brother hashem abedi went on trial. the prosecution saying that he was just as guilty of the murder of the 22 people. in the aftermath, police found evidence, the prosecution say, that the brothers had bought 16 litres of sulphuric acid and 55
litres of hydrogen peroxide — chemicals used to make explosives. and they got access to a property on the 12th floor of this tower block, miles from their family home. from mid—february to mid—april, the prosecution say, the brothers rented this flat, where police later found traces of the home—made explosive tatp. the allegation is that it was here that the brothers manufactured the explosive and accumulated parts for making the device. just over a month later, salman abedi boarded a tram wearing a backpack, travelled one stop to the manchester arena and detonated the bomb. daniel sandford, bbc news, at the old bailey. a syrian government offensive, backed by russia, against the last rebel enclave in idlib has caused one of the biggest waves of displacement in the nine year old war. intensive aerial bombardment and a ground offensive have emptied
entire towns and sent huge numbers fleeing towards the turkish border. the united nations estimates that more than half a million people have been displaced over the past two months — 80% of them are women and children. it took years of fighting and a massive international effort to defeat the islamic state group. but is was a different type of terror group — its fighters didn't travel alone, but brought entire extended families with them. the result is that there are now 70,000 is followers, including 10,000 children being held in the middle east. our correspondent quentin sommerville and cameraman darren conway travelled to north—eastern syria to meet some of the children of is fighters, brought from their homes in indonesia — and now detained without much hope of return. the detention camps of the islamic state group aren't just a stain on syria...