Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  November 2, 2011 9:00pm-10:00pm PDT

9:00 pm
luck with the play. >> thanks for having me. all right, tomorrow oklahoma senator tomorrow co-burn comes out front. he's in a gang of six. republicans and democrats that will work together and cut the american deficit. he comes out front tomorrow with his big idea and to put pressure on the group of 12. a group that must take action, super committee, please, please, super committee. step it up. be heroes. don't be that. and on that note, here's piers and on that note, here's piers morgan tonight. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com tonight, raising cain. >> don't even bother asking me all these other questions that you all are curious about. okay? don't even bother. >> herman cain facing a third accusation of sexual harassment, but more popular than ever. what really happened? will we ever find out? and one of the most powerful women in america, condoleezza rice. the ultimate bush white house insider. why does she say dick cheney attacked her integrity? why did she threaten to resign after 9/11? and what did she really think about moammar gadhafi's crush on
9:01 pm
her? condoleezza rice live and no holds barred. this is "piers morgan tonight." is good evening. herman cain's campaign calls a report of a third accusation of sexual harassment an example of "baseless allegations." meanwhile, a republican political consultant in oklahoma says he witnessed inappropriate behavior by cain at the national restaurant association back in the '90s. but even before all this the pressure seemed to be getting to candidate cain. listen to this extraordinary encounter with reporters earlier today. >> so don't even bother asking me all of these other questions that you all are curious about, okay? don't even bother. >> it's a good question, though. >> but are you concerned about the fact that these women do want to -- >> what did i say? >> are you concerned about -- >> excuse me. excuse me! >> step aside, please. >> what part of no don't these people understand?
9:02 pm
>> all getting rather heated. joining me now it try to make sense of all this is john king, anchor of "john king, usa." john, pretty fiery stuff there with herman cain. what's extraordinary is the more revelations spill out the better his polling seems to be. >> well, the most recent polling, anderson, most of it -- piers, excuse me, captures only -- >> did you call me anderson? >> i did. and i'm very sorry about that. i was just watching the previous program. i'm a fan there. >> that is bordering on harassment, i might add. >> it is. you have my now. i'll have to sign an agreement and leave. the most recent polling, we need to be careful, captures maybe a day or two of these headlines. the new quinnipiac poll shows herman cain still leading nationally. but again the last day or two maybe. we need to look at the polls in a week to ten days. because this is still coming out. you have what you mentioned the associated press quoted as saying a third woman when she worked at the restaurant association mr. cain did something that made her uncomfortable, made her feel that he was infringing on her rights. that's number one. another allegation.
9:03 pm
an anonymous allegation but still an allegation. tonight gloria borger reporting that one of the women is meeting with her attorney trying to get permission from the restaurant association, with whom she signed a confidentiality agreement, to issue some kind of a statement. sew says the attorney, she does not want to be "the next anita hill." i presume by that meaning she doesn't want to do a television appearance or talk about this very much but she does want to issue some kind of statement. we don't know where this is going. but we do know this. it's not over. >> let's listen to this guy, chris wilson. he's an oklahoma pollster who worked with herman cain. he claims he saw herman cain harassing women. let's hear what he had to say today. >> i was the pollster at the national restaurant association when herman cain was the head of it. and i'll tell you, i was actually around a couple times where this happened. and it just -- anyone who was involved with the restaurant association at the time knew that this was going to come up. >> i mean, john, is herman cain
9:04 pm
handling this very badly, or is it all kind of playing to his folksy i'm not a politician reputation? you know, that behavior with the reporters earlier, you would never see a conventional politician talking to them like that, and yet that is part of herman cain's charm, isn't it? >> it is. he's not a politician. and he sticks it to the establishment. and he is not afraid to stick it to the news media, although he has been very media-friendly, as you well know. you had a conversation with him that he is still trying to recover from with the abortion questions. you asked him about. on the one hand being the anti-politician helps him. at some point the question is is there a cumulative effect of having things -- having crises and having conflicting accounts? here maybe issues aren't true. maybe the allegations were a misunderstanding. he didn't think he did anything wrong. the women thought he did. that happens sometimes in life. but how he has handled this raises a lot of questions. and that clip you just played, that would be if credible the first eyewitness, the first person to go on the record saying i saw him doing things that were offensive, i saw him doing things that at least the woman could fairly assume was some sort of sexual harassment.
9:05 pm
again, though, this story is so complicated because you get something like that and you say there's a witness, then we find out this witness, who says he saw it at the time, has a tangential political connection to texas governor rick perry. he's working for a political action committee that is not run by mr. perry but that is run by one of his former top aides and that is supporting the perry campaign. >> wolf blitzer, thank you very much. only kidding. john, thank you. >> thank you, piers. >> so will these allegations be fatal to herman cain's campaign? joining me now to debate that is harvard law professor and author of "american on trial," alan dershowitz and amy holmes, anchor of glenn beck's "the blaze." alan dershowitz, i guess the trigger moment for herman cain will be if any of the women behind these so-called harassment charges is able to come forward, identify herself, and talk publicly. how likely from a legal point of view is that, do you think? >> well, i think it's quite likely.
9:06 pm
herman cain is in a situation not completely of his own making, at least recently. he didn't voluntarily disclose anything or breach the agreement. somebody else did. he obviously as a presidential candidate had to issue some kind of a statement, and the question is does that waive the confidentiality agreement in relation to the other women? do they now have an opportunity to come forward and present their argument? courts are not particularly accepting of confidentiality agreements, particularly when they involve public figures. so if he were asking me my advice as a lawyer, just to predict what will happen, i think that these confidentiality agreements will be broken and each of the three people will have an opportunity to present their case, and then it depends on what kind of harassment it is. was it quid pro quo, which is the worst kind, sleep with me or i'll fire you? was it harassment of a particular individual, kind of aggressive behavior but not physical touching? or was it just creating a hostile environment which could be bad jokes, dirty jokes, that kind of thing?
9:07 pm
so a lot will depend on what they say when they come forward. but they will come forward. >> amy holmes, i mean, it is bizarre that even though the scandal had started and it had been running for a couple of days the latest polls suggest that the public certainly at the moment are not put off by herman cain. what do you make of that? >> well, i would say more specifically that the gop voters are not put off by these allegations because they went through the sexual harassment whiplash of the '90s, of the anita hill accusations against clarence thomas and then the paula jones accusations against president clinton, where we saw a lot of feminists, you know, frankly changing their tune when it came to sexual harassment. susan estrich she even said in the paula jones case that not every woman tells the truth and not every accusation should be used to destroy a man. so i think for those gop voters they're rallying around herman cain really in part because of a common enemy, and that's what they see is hypocrisy in the political class and in the
9:08 pm
media. but in terms of this scandal, how far does this go, only herman cain really knows. and up to noint we've gotten a lot of conflicting stories from herman cain, which i think could eventually hurt him. >> alan dershowitz, the level of money that these women have been paid doesn't seem to be she high. what does that tell you about the nature of these allegations? >> well, it tells me two things. first, they're too high for simply a severance package for people earning relatively small amounts of money. they generally don't get a year severance package. they're just dismissed or they want to leave. so something was going on. but it also suggests that it wasn't the worst kind of sexual harassment. that it was probably some intermediate level, which by the way, back in the early '90s might not have been taken as seriously as it would be taken today. so he may be caught in a kind of time bind whereas what was if
9:09 pm
not acceptable in the workplace certainly tolerable or not as condemnable back in the '90s as it would be looked at today. so we just don't know enough to make a final assessment. but the amounts involved suggest that it's at a middle level of seriousness, not at the lowest level and not at the highest level. >> and amy holmes, we've had charges of racism here, both from herman cain and others. ann coulter called it a high-tech lynching. and came out with this extraordinary comment that, you know, black conservatives are better than the democrat blacks at the moment, which i thought was offensive on almost every level. what do you think of the central charge that there is a racist undertone to the way that people are now going after herman cain? >> well, i haven't seen a racist undertone to this. herman cain, he is one of the front contenders for the gop nomination at the moment, and is coming under the kind of scrutiny that any candidate should. however, i would point out that the media did not put the same
9:10 pm
scrutiny on john edwards when he was running for president, and it was revealed by the "national enquirer" in the midst of his campaign that he was carrying on an affair with a campaign staffer, who we all know now is rielle hunter, and that he had even impregnated this woman. and bob schieffer of cbs was on done imus and said we're going to ignore this story, the washington press corps, this is the kind of thing that we should really give a miss because this doesn't look like there's anything to it to me. and in fact we saw that the washington press corps did not dig further and this was an affair that was ongoing during the campaign. so i think that with herman cain and with his political future, again, it really depends on what other allegations come forward and how he handles it. >> but i think there's an enormous difference -- >> alan, you want to jump in? >> yeah. i think there's an enormous difference, no matter how despicable you might think edwards was, that it was entirely voluntary. there were no unwelcome advances. here you have three alleged victims, and i think it's impossible to ignore allegations of real victims.
9:11 pm
we have to find out what the allegations are, how serious they are. for example, what the race of the alleged victims are. obviously, in the -- >> why would that make any difference in terms of the veracity of the allegations? >> well, in the case involving thomas -- not in terms of the veracity but in terms of whether there's any racism involved. in the thomas case he called it a high-tech lynching and yet his accuser as of the same race he was. that really discredited his allegations. so it would in some way either lend or discredit claims of racism. now, you can have racism no matter what the race of the victims are if the motivation behind the accusation by those who were making them outside of the victims was racist. this doesn't sound like race. this sounds like politics. it sounds like it might be a little bit of dirty politics from some of his republican opponents. he first alleged that the perry campaign may have been involved, and then the perry campaign issued denials and sort of apologies. we have a lot more to go before we get to the bottom of this, but i predict we will get to the bottom of this, and herman cain
9:12 pm
would be well advised to try to get out in front of the story and not let it constantly creep up on him from behind. >> and piers, if i may add -- >> let me bring it to a halt. but let me ask you both for a prediction. as things stand, does herman cain survive this scandal, do you think? alan? >> i think he does if it's not quid pro quo sexual harassment. i think he does not survive a quid pro quo sexual harassment if it's credible. >> amy? >> i think it's far too early to tell, but i would say that herman cain should have given mike murphy a call, and he was the gop strategist who had arnold schwarzenegger say where there's smoke there's fire. >> amy holmes, alan dershowitz, thank you both very much. >> thank you. coming up, a woman who knows more than most about crises in the white house. condoleezza rice live. endless shrimp is our most popular promotion
9:13 pm
at red lobster. there's so many choices... the guests love it! [ male announcer ] it's endless shrimp today at red lobster. as much as you like any way you like, all for $15.99. offer ends soon. my name is angela trapp, and i sea food differently.
9:14 pm
9:15 pm
mywill be giving awaypp, passafree copies of the alcoholism & addiction cure. to get yours, go to ssagesmalibubook.com. i condoleezza rice do
9:16 pm
solemnly swear that i will support and defend. >> that i will support and defend. >> the constitution of the united states. >> the constitution of the united states. >> against all -- that's condoleezza rice being sworn in as president bush's secretary of state in 2005, and she's here tonight to talk about life inside the bush white house. her new book "no higher honor." and condoleezza rice joins me now. welcome back, dr. rice. we last spoke in january, when i first launched this show. and it's been pretty quiet since then. i mean, what's really happened? we've had the arab spring uprisings. bin laden's been killed. gadhafi's been killed. mubarak overthrown. >> yes. >> we've had the biggest financial crisis again we've ever seen. and we've got a guy who used to sell pizzas running your party's charge to take on the president. it's been pretty quiet. >> it's been a busy several months. that's absolutely right. >> what do you make of the whole herman cain phenomenon? because it is a phenomenon.
9:17 pm
he's come pretty much from nowhere to storm the gop ratings. he's engulfed in maybe scandal. we don't really know the full extent of it yet. but what do you think of him personally? >> i don't actually know him. but this is what our primary season is all about. he's an interesting person. he has an interesting background. obviously, a lot of business experience. and he's sort of shaking up the race. i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but this will all settle out over the next several months, and the republican party will choose a nominee, but our primaries tend to be a little bit like this. >> reading your book, obviously you make a big play of saying no one needs to tell you how to feel as a black american, as a black woman. when you see the charge of potential racism in the herman cain case, people saying that people are only going after him because he is a black conservative, do you think that holds any merit? >> well, i actually don't like playing the race card on either side. i don't like it when people say
9:18 pm
that the criticism of president obama is because he is black. the criticism is because he's the president and we tend to criticize our presidents. so i really don't like playing the race card on either side. obviously, i view myself as a black republican, as someone who can stand up for myself, and as i have often said, i don't need anyone to tell me how to be black. i've been black all my life, and if you don't like my political views, then that's really too bad. >> what do you think of the gop race generally? it's been fluctuating wildly over the last couple of months. i guess it may still fluctuate. mitt romney has been the steady eddie, if you like. consistently polling around the 25% mark. others have leapt above him and then crashed below again. what can you read into this from your experience? >> well, i don't think you can read anything in at this point. we really will get a much better view, a much better barometer how to think about this race after the first of the year, after the first primary. so, you know, i was associated
9:19 pm
with a campaign in 2000 very closely. the george w. bush campaign. going all the way back really to the beginning of '99. and there was a lot of turbulence in that campaign, too. people forget, for instance, that george w. bush lost the new hampshire primary by 17 or 18 points. so there's a lot of settling out to do here. but i'm one who actually thinks that our political system is not too rough. you want to see people under pressure. you want to see them when things get a little difficult because when they get in the oval office things are going to get rough and they're going to get a little difficult. >> without actually giving me names -- i know you probably won't, of who your favorite is. >> right. >> which of the candidates do you find yourself agreeing with most on their policy statements? >> well -- >> it may not necessarily be the one that you would vote for. >> well, there's no single candidate right now about whom i can say that. i think we have some very good candidates in the race. i myself am enjoying for the first time in quite a long time just sort of watching the campaign as a voter, as obviously a committed republican, and i think they're debating the issues. that's important.
9:20 pm
i'd probably like to see a little bit more attention to foreign policy, but i understand that given the issues of domestic internal repair that the united states has to do that a lot of people are not focusing on foreign policy. but i'll just watch the debates and, you know, i'll make my choices later on. >> i mean, when the frontrunner, herman cain, doesn't appear to know anything about china's nuclear policy, do you get itchy fingers? do you think maybe you should throw your hat in the ring, albeit belatedly? >> no, i certainly don't get itchy fingers about throwing my own hat in the ring. absolutely not. isn't that kind of a mixed metaphor? but no, i don't myself. what i see is someone who may have misspoken. i really don't know. i know that there were many times during the 2000 campaign when issues of did the governor know this or the governor know that? the president of the united states, the people who come to the presidency of the united states very often don't come with foreign policy experience, but they get it rather quickly.
9:21 pm
and so the important thing to look for in candidates is what do they stand for, what are their principles, do they understand the unique character of the united states and its unique role in the world? >> let's turn to your book. a fascinating read. >> thank you. >> a complex read. covers eight extraordinary years really at the start of the millennium. when you finished the book, what was your emotion when you finally signed off on it? what did you conclude about that period in your life? >> well, first of all, there was the relief that i finally finished the writing, which, as you know, can be quite trying. but essentially -- >> it's a big book, too. >> it is. well, piers, it's only 740-odd pages. and that's less than 100 pages a year because we were in office for eight years. so i think it's actually not that -- not that big a tome. but it is for me an opportunity to talk to people about what it's like to be in the white house, to be in the state department, to try to give people a glimpse of not just what the decisions were but how
9:22 pm
they were made and the distinctly human character of the people and being in those circumstances. we're all human beings. there are personalities. there are disagreements. but most importantly, people are working hard on behalf of the country. and i called it "no higher honor" because that's really the way that i feel about those years that i served. >> i've read all the books now by the chief protagonists of that period in the administration, and my conclusion of your thoughts on them, if i was boiling it down, would be you admire the president, president bush, you hated dick cheney, you tolerated donald rumsfeld, and you felt a bit sorry for colin powell. how have i done there? >> let's start over. i did indeed admire the president. there's no doubt about it. and i really do believe that he did an exceptional job under extraordinarily difficult circumstances. the vice president i have a high regard for. we simply didn't agree a lot of
9:23 pm
the time, and particularly in the second term. i think the vice president exhibited some disappointment in the turn that the foreign policy took in that second term and associates it with me and the state department, and that's fine. people can disagree, but i don't have any less regard for the vice president. as to don, don and i have been friends for a long time, and i know that don is a kind of irascible character. i think he did a fine job on many things as secretary of defense. we didn't agree ultimately about the course of the war in iraq, and that was ultimately settled. and colin powell is my friend, and he's a great patriot. he served as secretary of state at a time when we were at war, and the hard thing about being secretary of state when we are at war is that especially in the early phases the pentagon is first on, and so yes, sometimes it was very hard being america's diplomat between 2001 and 2004. and i respect him for the job he did.
9:24 pm
>> i mean, you describe -- you say every public appearance with donald rumsfeld was a disaster. >> well, because -- well, the one in baghdad was a bit of a problem because i describe in baghdad that the president -- in the book that president bush had sent don and me to baghdad to sort of show unity between the defense department and the state department and don was impatient with the whole thing and, unfortunately, sort of came through in the press availability. and i'm afraid we wrote stories that we really didn't intend to write about how well we were getting along. and so, yeah, that one was a bit of a disaster. but you know, those things happen. and as i said, don and i remain friends. and it's awfully important for people to realize that you can have substantive differences, you can have intense debates, you can even have intense arguments, and you can still do
9:25 pm
it in a civil way where you may have personalities involved but it doesn't have to become personal. >> before we go to a break, very quickly, dick cheney said that he saw you crying in a professional situation. i found that very hard to believe. >> yeah, i find that kind of hard to believe too. no. i don't think i went to the vice president crying about something in the press. it doesn't sound like me, and i'm pretty sure it didn't happen. >> no. i didn't -- it didn't sound like you at all to me. coming up after the break, i want to talk to you about the revolution in the middle east, the deaths of bin laden and gadhafi, and whether you feel the way you went about war in iraq triggered all this or actually was the way that it shouldn't have been done. [ male announcer ] all over the world, there's a battery that's relied on to help bring children holiday joy, and while it doesn't travel by sleigh or reindeer, it does get around... in fact, every year duracell sends loads of batteries
9:26 pm
to the mattel children's hospital, u.c.l.a. of course, children here and everywhere don't really think about which battery makes their toy run... but, still... you'd never want to disappoint. duracell. trusted everywhere. ford fusion has now been named the most dependable but, still... you'd never want to disappoint. midsize car by jd power and associates. we go to kimberly. any thoughts on this news? i have no idea what's goin on. we are out. what was that? they told me it's the most dependable midsize sedan and they ran back into their little box. two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands.
9:27 pm
this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for our country's energy security and our economy. ah, agents, i don't know if you've heard, but our training organization was recently named the "best in the world." nice little pat on the back. ahhhh! [ chuckles ] ah...that's good, that's good. that's, uh, that's...fun. it is, after all, a celebration for all of us. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪
9:28 pm
9:29 pm
♪ reaction in libya to the demise of moammar gadhafi. and back with me now is the former secretary of state condoleezza rice, who famously found herself the object of gadhafi's weird affections. >> yes. >> dr. rice, it was a bizarre setup where even when he left his palace they found this glorious scrapbook in your honor and when you went to see him you actually write in the back -- i'm going to read this back to you. "at the end of the dinner
9:30 pm
gadhafi told me he'd made a videotape of me. uh-oh, i thought, what's this going to be? it was quite an innocent collection of photos of me with world leaders set to the music of a song called "black flower in the white house," written for me by libyan composer. it was weird, but at least it wasn't raunchy." >> right. >> quite extraordinary. >> yes, quite extraordinary. and weird and a bit creepy. i had actually known that he had is this fixation on me. a couple of foreign minister friends had told me. and also a couple of my staff. and so i was going to libya. my job was to go there. he had given up his weapons of mass destruction. he had paid reparations to the families of the victims of his terrorist acts. it was my job to go there, do a little bit of diplomatic business, and get out. and so that's what i did. but i have to say, i did have that terrible moment when he said that he had the videotape. i am just glad that it all came out all right. >> and he never made any kind of move on you, then? >> no, no.
9:31 pm
>> the object of his affections. >> no, absolutely not. >> being more serious about this, i mean, the end of gadhafi was a suitably gruesome end to a gruesome tyrant in many ways. when you saw the way that he was killed, you know, dragged out by the rebels and basically executed, what did you feel about that? there was a debate about whether it was the right thing, that it shouldn't have been allowed to happen. what did you think? >> well, revolutions are not pretty, and there are any number of circumstances in which the tyrant who stays too long and refuses to leave and when fear breaks down and -- on behalf of his people and the tables are turned, those ends are often very violent. and so it might not be the way that we sitting here in a stable democracy that's more than 200 years old, almost 300 years old, might want things to happen, but revolutions aren't pretty. >> when you watch the extraordinary events of this year throughout the middle east,
9:32 pm
clearly there's a pattern of revolution driven from the ground up through mainly young people disaffected with their lot under these tyrants seizing control of their own destiny. and in libya in particular you saw the end of gadhafi driven by these pretty heroic rebels who decided to take him on and see him off. and the american military and the american administration, very much hands off. and the difference, of course, in cost was huge. the libya campaign cost $1.5 billion. iraq at its worst was costing almost that a week. very, very different way of going about the same objective of getting rid of a bad guy. do you look at what's happened to mubarak and gadhafi and slightly regret the way that you helped the administration go about iraq? >> well, the circumstances were fundamentally different, and the times were fundamentally different, and we went after saddam hussein because he was a security threat. he'd caused wars in the region. he'd used weapons of mass destruction.
9:33 pm
he was going after our aircraft. we didn't actually go after him to bring democracy to iraq. we brought -- we were going after him because he was a security threat. once we had deposed him, it was important to give the iraqi people a chance for a democratic future. but i think it would be a mistake to think that saddam hussein would have permitted an arab spring in iraq for even a moment. it would have been over in hours. we have seen how he deals with uprisings. the way that he dealt with the uprising in the south when he gassed the shia or the kurds immediately after the gulf war in 1991, where he slaughtered hundreds and thousands of people. this -- moammar gadhafi was a monstrous leader. he was not saddam hussein either in terms of his reach, his capability, or his capacity for systematic brutality. and so saddam hussein was not going to fall by these means. and i am very glad that he's gone. and in fact, it probably helped
9:34 pm
to stimulate gadhafi's decision that he would give up his weapons of mass destruction, coming as it did right on the heels of the deposing saddam. and i'm awfully glad that we were able to disarm him of his most dangerous weapons before this revolution because gadhafi sitting in his bunker with dangerous weapons might have been -- there might have been a very different outcome. >> what was the biggest mistake of the whole iraq campaign? the reliance publicly on establishing that he had weapons and the kind of drip, drip, drip -- you call it the sort of embarrassment of the president really becoming almost a wmd fact checker. >> yes. >> which was clearly a pretty degrading experience and deeply flawed. and in the end it turned out the public reasons for going to war with saddam were totally incorrect, whereas had you done what the administration did here with gadhafi and say we're going after saddam because he's a bad man and it will be good for the region, at least you could sit
9:35 pm
back now and say, well, we got rid of him for the reasons we said we were going to get rid of him. >> well, i think we did make those reasons but frankly we didn't emphasize them. and i talk about this in the book. first of all, we believed he had weapons of mass destruction and that was the immediate threat. particularly in the aftermath of 9/11 when you worried about some nexus between terrorism and weapons of mass destruction. weapons of mass destruction were not a theoretical probability with saddam hussein. after all, he'd used them before. he'd been seen in 1991 after gulf war one to have a crude nuclear device in perhaps a year. and so we believed that the weapons of mass destruction case was solid. but as i said, i don't they it was wise to have any of us but particularly the president debating or defending an intelligence nugget. did he buy uranium ore in niger, what were aluminum tubes for, why was he buying so much
9:36 pm
chlorin? because the strategic argument was this was a cancer in the region, saddam hussein, who had caused two massive wars in the region, who had tried to assassinate a president of the united states, who had put 400,000 of his people in mass graves, was breaking out of the constraints under which he had been put in 1991, and was reconstituting, according to our intelligence agencies, his weapons of mass destruction. that broader strategic case, i think, got lost in, as you call it, the drip, drip, drip of intelligence nuggets. >> let's take a break and come back. i want to talk to you about the moment you heard that osama bin laden was dead, the man who committed the 9/11 atrocity on your watch. just one phillips' colon health probiotic cap a day helps defends against occasional constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating. with three strains of good bacteria to help balance your colon.
9:37 pm
you had me at "probiotic." [ female announcer ] phillips' colon health. why did we build a 556 horsepower luxury car with a manual transmission? because there are those who still believe in the power of a firm handshake. the cadillac cts-v. manual or automatic, that's entirely up to you. we don't just make luxury cars, we make cadillacs. [ whooping ] ♪ it was the best day ♪ it was the best day ♪ ♪ it was the best day ♪ 'cause of you we make a great pair. huh? progressive and the great outdoors! we make a great pair. right, totally. that's what i was thinking. all kinds of vehicles, all kinds of savings.
9:38 pm
multi-policy discounts from progressive. call or click today. when you're a sports photographer, things can get out of control pretty quickly. so i like control in the rest of my life... especially my finances. that's why i have slate, with blueprint. i can create my own plan to pay down large purchases faster... or avoid interest on everyday items. that saves me money. with slate from chase, i'm always in control. financially, anyway. get slate with blueprint and save money. call 855-get-slate today.
9:39 pm
9:40 pm
back now with my special guest, dr. condoleezza rice. dr. rice, i'm getting lots of tweets wile we had the break there saying i wish that she would run for president. >> well, that's very nice, but thanks, i'll pass on that honor. >> is that a total lifetime pass, or could you see yourself tempted back? >> i'm really a policy person. i'm not a politician. and i've been through a
9:41 pm
campaign. i know what that takes. and i'll leave it to others. >> but you're not entirely ruling it out? >> piers, that's a no. >> let me ask you, where were you when you heard that osama bin laden had been killed? because for you personally, never mind professionally, it must have been an extraordinary moment in your life, having spent so long trying to catch him after 9/11. >> it was, indeed. i had just come in actually to washington d.c. i had landed that evening from california, and i flipped on the television, and they were getting ready to have the news conference, and i thought the president of the united states doesn't go into the east room this time of night. i think they got bin laden. and i was so gratified. i was grateful to president obama for taking a difficult decision because by all reports it wasn't a certainty that osama bin laden was there, and i was very glad that i think we had left the infrastructure in place to make that moment possible.
9:42 pm
the courier, for instance, who in 2007 we learned of this courier who eventually gave up bin laden, and so -- or led us to bin laden, and so this was a great story of american perseverance over ten years. said to foes in particular we don't give up until the job is done. >> who was the first person you told when you heard the news? >> well, i actually had a couple of people with me, traveling with me. one of them that worked with me at the state department. we immediately talked about it, and it was a really very -- very gratifying moment because even though i don't believe that al qaeda is done as an organization, in many ways the organization that did 9/11 is a very different organization now. it's been cut down to size. not just through the kill of bin laden, but also the many field generals like khalid shaikh mohammed and abu zubaydah who were taken off the battlefield. so this is a good story for american perseverance.
9:43 pm
>> do you miss high office, or are you just relieved to be out of it all? because the book details again and again the sacrifice that you have to make, like so many people at a high level of white house administration. you talk about envying your driver because every weekend he would be off doing stuff with his family or having fun and you were off around the world on another trip. so i guess mixed feelings? >> well, of course, it was a wonderful experience, and it was a very high honor, as i said. but i was glad to be done. eight years is plenty. especially eight years under the circumstances under which we served. but i am so happy to be back at stanford. and i'm a university professor again, which is really my vocation and my calling in life. and i don't -- i don't miss it. i like reading the newspaper and saying, oh, isn't that interesting and moving on to the next thing. so it's really quite nice. >> very quickly, if i was to pin
9:44 pm
you down and say your biggest triumph in the eight years and your biggest regret, what would you say? >> well, clearly, associating the united states of america firmly with the freedom agenda in the middle east after 60 years of trying to trade democracy for stability and getting neither. i'm very proud of that speech in cairo in june of 2005 that set a different tone based on president bush's second inaugural. in terms of regrets, of course, there will be many over the years, and we'll see how this all plays out. it may surprise you that in many ways the thing i most wish we had started earlier was the work on immigration reform. we were going to work with mexico to really take that issue on. i think 9/11 for very good reasons didn't allow us the time and energy and focus to do it. and when the comprehensive immigration bill finally came up in 2007, it failed even though jon kyl and john mccain and george w. bush and ted kennedy all wanted it. and we're still fighting the
9:45 pm
immigration issue in ways that i think are getting increasingly more difficult and really threatening what is one of america's really great strengths, which is drawing people here from all over the world who just want a better chance in life. >> well, dr. rice, it's been a pleasure, as always, talking to you. it's a terrific book, fascinating read. it's called "a memoir of my years in washington: no higher honor." and certainly the aspect of honor comes through on every page. and i thank you for your service and for coming on the show again. >> thank you. >> really appreciate it. >> thanks. thanks for having me. >> we'll be right back.
9:46 pm
the other office devices? they don't get me. they're all like, "hey, brother, doesn't it bother you that no one notices you?" and i'm like, "doesn't it bother you you're not reliable?" and they say, "shut up!" and i'm like, "you shut up." in business, it's all about reliability. 'cause these guys aren't just hitting "print." they're hitting "dream." so that's what i do. i print dreams, baby. [whispering] big dreams.
9:47 pm
9:48 pm
these are the sweet little animals that run into the road and cause car crashes. so, what do we do? [ thomas ] we talk to our customers... make sure they understand their options, in case these guys ever cross their path. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪
9:49 pm
fine you live under a rock, you have undoubtedly heard about the breakup of kim kardashian's all too tragically brief marriage. well, i recently sat down with kris jenner. >> you're the boss, aren't you? you're the godmother? >> i -- somebody has to be in charge. so it might as well be me. yeah. it's a great job. it's -- i wear a lot of different hats, for sure, because i'm their mom and i'm their manager and i'm bruce's wife and, you know, kind of in control of what happens. >> what are you first? what's the most important role you have? >> mom. i'm definitely mom first. i think that's my instinct. that's my nature. that's why i wanted to have sex kids since i was, you know, 14 years old. that's my most delicious role, and it's my meatiest role. it's my hardest role, for sure. but it's what i enjoy.
9:50 pm
it's what i'm kind of made of. >> and your genius, it seems know, and this is like a family thing because i interviewed two of your daughters early this year, is this thing about branding. i mean, you have taken the concept of a brand to virtually unparalleled lengths. recently a survey came out that said you made $65 million last year. which has not been denied, i've noted. >> well, you know, i think it's probably a combination of all the neighbors' money and the people in calabasas. >> that's a staggering sum of money to make from i would say unconventional talent. i mean, there's not a normal talent there. in the whole group. there's no natural singers -- >> right. they can't dance or sing or act or -- >> all the conventional sources of talent are not there. but there's a clear talent for marketing, for branding, and for business. >> mm-hmm. >> tell me about how the kardashian brand began. because you created this. >> well, created the show.
9:51 pm
the show idea. the concept of doing a reality show with the family. and we had pre-existing stores at the time. so we had clothing stores and a children's store. and that's been in my blood since i was aw child. because my mom's had stores. and so many people had always said to us, you know, it was the osbornes were born and everybody said, oh, you guys are so crazy, you guys should have your own show. and that sort of resonated with me for a couple of years and then finally, you know, one thing led to another and a friend approached me and said you should go meet with ryan seacrest. and i did. and he pitched it with me to e! and 30 days later we were filming a show. >> have you had any moments of should i be doing this? >> you know, no. i think every single thing that we put out there is just who we are. you know, we don't have a lot of things that you don't see on the show. but i think part of it is it's an agreement that we all made with each other when we first started filming. we said if we're going to do this let's let it all hang out, let's be real and let's do it.
9:52 pm
>> you've got a store opening in vegas. >> kardashian kaos. anything and everything zblsh it only sells kardashian stuff. >> yeah. >> what's the weirdest thing in there? >> okay. i decided that since the store was next to the pool that we should design beach towels with the girls' pictures on them wearing bikinis. so every girl has their own towel and you can buy the beach towel and then take it to the pool -- >> so you can literally lie on kim kardashian by the pool. >> exactly. >> this is a bizarre part of your life involving the o.j. simpson trial, which many viewers may not have realized, but you were best friends with nicole. and your ex-husband was part of the defense team for o.j. simpson. >> he was. >> you sort of hinted that he wasn't completely convinced. >> right. >> of o.j.'s innocence. although he defended him as a friend. he felt that out of loyalty he should be there for him. >> he felt like it was the right thing to do at the time. and i think that he certainly changed his stance, you know, before he passed away. i will always feel like the day
9:53 pm
that we lost nicole as a friend, you know, as a dear friend, we lost o.j. the same day. >> let's take another break. i want to come back and talk about kim because apparently the marriage is all over already. >> oh, no. >> that's not denial. we'll have to wait for the break to finish. da, da, da. the employee of the month is... spark card from capital one. spark cash gives me the most rewards of any small business credit card. it's hard for my crew to keep up with 2% cash back on every purchase, every day. 2% cash back. that's setting the bar pretty high. thanks to spark, owning my own business has never been more rewarding. [ male announcer ] introducing spark the small business credit cards from capital one. get more by choosing unlimited double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase, every day. what's in your wallet? this guy's amazing. what's in your wallet? ♪ ♪ ♪ when the things that you need ♪ ♪ come at just the right speed, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ medicine that can't wait legal briefs there by eight, ♪
9:54 pm
♪ that's logistics. ♪ ♪ freight for you, box for me box that keeps you healthy, ♪ ♪ that's logistics. ♪ ♪ saving time, cutting stress, when you use ups ♪ ♪ that's logistics. ♪ to bring you a low-priced medicare prescription drug plan. ♪ with the lowest national plan premium... ♪ ...and copays as low as one dollar... ♪ ...saving on medicare prescriptions is easy. ♪ so you're free to focus on the things that really matter. call humana at 1-800-808-4003. or go to walmart.com for details.
9:55 pm
9:56 pm
9:57 pm
apparently it's all over already. the marriage is over. it's on the rocks. >> don't tell me that. no. >> they've been unpacking suitcases left, right, and center. it's all over. >> well, they've been in new york for the last couple of months shooting "kourtney and kim take new york." so they're coming home tomorrow. >> still happily married? >> yeah. as far as i know. i mean, somebody better give me a call because i'd have work to do. yeah. i mean, they haven't enjoyed their company for a long time. kim and i went to dubai last week. so i was with her alone. but she seemed really happy. >> how much of your brand -- and i'm playing slightly devil's advocate here. but how much of it could have been possible without the explosion of attention that came with the sex tape involving kim? >> honestly, we had a show kind of in the works and had a tape done before that happened. so it was quite the opposite. when that happened, it was a
9:58 pm
horrible time for sure. all i thought about was there goes the show. you know. and it was actually quite the opposite. so i was -- it was shocking to me. >> did you think there goes the show or there goes my daughter? >> well, that came first. >> how did you hear about this tape? >> um, kim told me. >> hard conversation. >> yeah, it was a very difficult conversation. but at the time it was quite a few years ago and at the time you just -- you have to pick yourself up and you have to -- i went into my room and i had a good cry and i had a good cry with my daughter. and then you have to, you know, make some lemonade out of some crazy sour lemons. >> what are you proudest of with your family, would you say? >> my girls and my son, their hearts. they're good people. they work hard. they have the best work ethic in the world. i'm proudest of my grandson, who i adore. and the way that my kids handle themselves, they are so professional, they are so into
9:59 pm
this for the long run, they are -- they go to work every day at the crack of dawn and they work until they fall down, and then they get up the next day and they do it all over again. and they never complain. and they're having the best time. and i think i'm proud because they feel blessed. we feel very lucky. >> well, i feel lucky to have the kardashians in my life. >> thank you. >> i still get a vicarious pleasure out of watching you do your crazy stuff with each other. >> that makes me happy. >> it's like escapism. turn it on, there are the crazy kardashians. makes me feel my life isn't so mad after all. part of the fun, isn't it in. >> i think everybody finds one person they can relate to and they enjoy that. >> i've got a favorite. >> who? >> kim. >> shocking. >> i have a life-size cardboard cutout she gave me in any mork g my new york office. >> i heard that. will you tweet it to me? >> it sits behind me all day long. >> is it taller than she is? >> it's sort of slightly risque so it does raise f