Skip to main content

tv   Erin Burnett Out Front  CNN  April 19, 2012 11:00pm-12:00am PDT

11:00 pm
>> i recently took a look at the candidates that are running for president and i evaluated their chin. obama has a pretty good-looking chin. i think newt gingrich has a good chin, but he's got a little extra material under here that detracts in his chin, but, clearly, the one that has the most presidential chin is mitt romney. >> hey, look, it's an election year, anything goes. in an election as in life, when anything goes, it does tend to get as any dog will tell you, breaking news tonight, two agents who lost their job over the secret service sex scandal. more agents could still be fired. and hit with a lawsuit that says the reality show is racist and the latest in the case of the soldier who vanished from fort bragg. the man questioned. we go after him.
11:01 pm
good evening, everyone. i'm erin burnett. out front, breaking news. two of the secret service agents who lost their jobs in the fallout of the prostitution scandal identified. according to cbs news, david chaney was the supervisor "lewed to retire. another supervisor greg stokes, removed with cause. he was recently listed as the supervisor of the canine training section of the secret service. that's what we were able to find out in our search just a few moments ago. now, a third employee who left the agency yesterday in connection with the scandal is still so far unidentified but i think the thing to emphasize, more heads will be rolling. more agents who could be losing their jobs and kicked out in the next 24 hours and the chairman of the homeland security committee told cnn today we'll see a lot more of these resignations tomorrow. >> i have four investigators working on it, the sources in law enforcement.
11:02 pm
talked with as many people as we can. if i have to, i will send investigators down to colombia. >> the homeland security committee. eight other agents and ten members of the military investigated for allegedly bringing prostitutes to their hotel rooms in colombia ahead of the president's visit. now, we don't know the identities of those investigated but it is widely believed they're all men and the secret service, elite agency that protects the president saying it's a good old boys club with a rings up mentality. the latest on what's happening on the military side and who those individuals are and how deep that may go, but now an insider's view into the culture of the secret service. women make up nearly 7,000 many employees. female law enforcement agent defined at gun carrying personnel make up about 11% of the agency. women are expected to do
11:03 pm
everything male counterparts do from training and deployment in order to protect the president. one person who knows the job better than anyone, barbara riggs, the first woman to be named deputy direct are of the secret service and one of the first ten it joins agency. she's "outfront." appreciate you coming on and talking with us, barbara. i know you're not familiar with both of these gentlemen. you don't know greg stokes but may be familiar with david chaney. >> yes, i think i do know who he is, yes. >> anything you know about him anecdotically, giving us a sense what kind of a person he is? >> no. i never worked with him personally. my interactions have always been very professional. >> and so what about the culture of the secret service? i mean, i just referred to what some say is the wheels up, rings off mentality. is there something to that? >> well, that phrase, the first time i've of heard that phrase
11:04 pm
was in the media this week. so i have never heard that before. the culture i know of the secret service and one that i lived for 31 years is a work force of men and women who are dedicated to their mission, and make great sacrifices every day in the service of their country. >> and certainly, i mean, i think all of us who have of had to interact, whether with the president or the secretary of state, have seen that incredibly professional, impressive behavior in every level, but obviously what happened in colombia was incredibly disturbing and it wasn't just one person. it was a lot of people meaning a lot of people seemed to think it was okay. are you surprised it happened? would it have happened in the secret service you knew? >> well i am shocked and surprised, because i have spent 31 years traveling on advances under six different presidents. i was assigned to the presidential protective detail on two separate occasions for a total of seven years at the white house.
11:05 pm
i supervised advance agents, i conducted advances, i had advance acts report to me in my supervisory position on the president's detail prior to a visit as the assistant director had many components of the advanced teams reporting to me and i have never seen an incident like this in the 31 years of my career. >> and is there -- an assumption there wouldn't have been any women. what would you have done if this was what you saw before you were deputy director. a woman seeing all the guys drinking. even if you didn't know they were taking prostitutes home or if you did, would you have turned them in? >> well, if i saw something like that, i would probably counsel them personally, because, you know, first of all, i don't know -- i do not know who the individuals were, other than what you have just told me. and, now my experience, when you're on an advance is that, especially a day or two before the visit, you're walking through the sites with
11:06 pm
counterparts, going to countdown meetings briefing supervisors coming in to walk through the sites, and there's no time for frolicking. >> so director mark sullivan loses his job even though everyone has come out and defended him. is that just some sign or signal that needs to be sent or not? >> well, i am very proud of how mark, the director, has reacted to this. he's been very decisive and acted very quickly. i have known mark for over 20 years. in fact, he worked for me on the president's detail when i was a supervisor, and when i was the deputy director, he reported to me as the assistant director and you cannot find an individual of a higher character than mark sullivan, and he has shown, in my opinion, aggressive leadership in addressing this issue. the other concern i would have was, you know, the secret service is in a campaign year. we're in a presidential campaign. we're seven months away from a campaign. >> right.
11:07 pm
>> and you know, this is going to distract the work force, and my concern would be, you know, further distracting the work force with any change of leadership. >> thank you very much, barbara, appreciate your time. one 69 first ten women to join the secret service in this country. as promised, new details about the ten u.s. military personnel including five members of the elite army special forces now questioned in relation to the prostitution scandal. we now know the failure of the army green berets to meet curfew on the same night involving the secret service agents led to the military opening its own investigation. barbara starr follows that side of the story. what more can you tell us about what happened, who these people are, how many of them there might have been tonight? >> reporter: erin, at the moment they are still questioning essentially ten military personnel about any potential involvement in either heavy drinking or the solicitation of prostitutes or any of the activities that went on in colombia, and investigating
11:08 pm
officer of the u.s. military is conducting that right now. at the moment it appears to be limited to the ten. five army green berets, and five others. sadly, all of the military services appear to have personnel involved in this mess. so they're looking at all of them. i would say, however, you know, the military's making the point, they're not exactly clear yet exactly, where it all stands. they may broaden it to include other military personnel and they still could wind up clearing some of these ten of any wrongdoing, erin. >> thank you very much. producers of "the bachelor" reality show, hit with a lawsuit. are reality shows racist? new information about the keystone pipeline. we'll tell you why the all miss decision is not in the hands of president apparently. it is in the hands of the state of nebraska. and new developments in the case of fort bragg's missing soldier. a man drove her home from the bar, and today questioned by police.
11:09 pm
tle emotional here? aren't you getting a little industrial? okay, there's enough energy right here in america. yeah, over 100 years worth. okay, so you mean you just ignore the environment. actually, it's cleaner. and, it provides jobs. and it helps our economy. okay, i'm listening. [announcer] at conoco phillips we're helping power america's economy with cleaner affordable natural gas... more jobs, less emissions, a good answer for everyone. so, by reducing the impact of production... and protecting our land and water... i might get a job once we graduate.
11:10 pm
i'm michael bazinet, president of creative digital imaging of bangor, maine. we have customers all over the united states. we rely on the postal service for everything that we do. the eastern maine processing facility is vital to our operation and our success. if we lose this processing facility we could lose clientele because of increased mailing times. we would have to consider layoffs as a result of that. closure of this plant will affect all of us. ♪ [ female announcer ] sometimes, all you need is the smooth, creamy taste
11:11 pm
of werther's original caramel to remind you that you're someone very special. ♪ werther's original caramels.
11:12 pm
the "bachelor" is a reality show about 25 lovely ladies look forge love and one sexy, single guy. saying that description does not apply to people of color and are suing producers of "the bachelor" and "the bachelorette." wasn't given consideration during a casting call last august. >> the guys in front of me, the white males in front of me took
11:13 pm
maybe like 45 minutes to an hour, but when i went up, it took me maybe 15, 20 minutes. kind of rushed me through. >> over ten years and 23 seasons, the show has never featured a single person of color in the leading role. now, it has had contestants from different races. warner horizon television, part of warner brothers entertainment and is subsidiary of our parent company, time warner says, this complaint is baseless and without merit. in fact, we have had various participants color through the series history and they've been consistently and publicly vocal about seeking diverse candidates. >> i would have been on the bachelor if i was handsome. >> and an attorney of civil
11:14 pm
rights. good to have you both with us. let me start with you, joey. 23 seasons not a single person of color in the leading role. taking your legal hat off a second, discrimination? >> without question. look at the duration of time the show has been on, there hasn't been one in the leading role you can make that conclusion. legally speaking, i would have something else to say about it. sure, anybody could draw that inference off the bat. >> before we get to the legal side, brad, you've been on a legal show. "the apprentice." how you get treated, vis-a-vis, how much air time versus them. why do you think the numbers are so skewed? >> well, listen, reality shows are not reality. the fact is, that you're putting together a puzzle, and you're taking people that you think would be interesting for tv. it could be these two gentlemen weren't that interesting. i don't know them. so, you know, to just say, randomly, like, hey, it's a racist show because they've
11:15 pm
nerve her a black contestant in the leading role is not really looking at the individuals that apply. if you look at the individuals that apply, plenty applied to "the apprentice" that didn't make it. i don't know if there were smart, dumb, white, black, hispanic, but there's different people they need for the show. to say that blanketly, it's lard to do. >> put on the legal hat. brad, trying to cast, looking at the demographic. white women, between the ages of 20 and 40. making it up. there might be something to that. we want a white bachelor. legally, is that okay, or not? >> if you're casting a role and that role is what you're looking for, it's just like anything else. i'm not going to do an ad for clairol, right? not going to do an ad for a hair product. there are certain roles they want, and certain roles that fit certain people. you know, and legally, i don't think they're going to be responsible for it.
11:16 pm
i think it really is baseless. >> what do you say? >> you might do a role for a hair product. but here's the point. the point is, two don conflicting concerns. one is this 1981 action governs contracts that says you can't discriminate on the basis of contract. at the same time, remember, we live in a freedom of contract society. i'm allowed to enter into a contract with anyone or anyone who i want to. and it's totally up to me. so you have to balance those considerations. having said that, you do have to look at the statistics. and viewing the complaint as i have, there's two people they cite there. i think you have to cite a little bit more than two people who have come forward and not got the job and then statistically match it against white applicants who haven't been successful. >> joey, curious how you answer the question, they could say, say the numbers don't go in their favor, the numbers indicate you racially profiled in selecting, then they're going to say we're out to make money, on a network, the demographic is a certain group. right? i mean, i would imagine if you
11:17 pm
were casting this on another network you'd get a different choice. >> correct. >> is there anything to that? >> there is, erin. to your point, what happens is, when you're looking at, look, we're not talking about social consciousness, we're talking about a business, who's in business to make money. if you have a demographic that you can appeal to, and that demographic is going to fill the coffers that's your first obligation. they're not about social conscious, social justice, they're about having viewers, the more the merrier to get paid. ultimately to the point of contract. that's the basis for which we entered into this. >> civil rights. >> exactly right. >> is there a case? will they get anywhere? >> a novel approach. it raises social conscious. why not? they're make a motion, try to dismiss. abc will off the bat. see how far it goes. why not? >> i don't think it's going far. make a motion to dismiss. a pull of mock jury from new jersey, one of my favorite places on earth and ask, what do you think about the complaint? send it over. they're not buying it. i don't think it's going anywhere.
11:18 pm
>> thanks very much to both of you. this sure raises awareness. you look at things sometimes in a different way. the obvious is in front of you and sometimes you don't notice it. oh, one of the things every championship team looks forward to and their fans like to watch when they get to go to the white house and visited president. today the alabama crimson tide football team's turn. i'm sure joe scarborough was rolling over. unfortunately, could not bring their waterford crystal trophy, because it shattered after a player's father stumbled on a rug under the trophy display. no word if it was a trip or he was, i don't know, having a beer to celebrate winning. not sure how it happened, but it's gone. the school is working on getting a replacement crystal football which cost about $30,000. one expensive trip. a lot of money, but it's not enough to get you into a dinner with president obama.
11:19 pm
40,000, as in dollars. how much 25 supporters of the president are paying tonight to attend a fund-raising dinner with president at the w hotel in washington. the money raised going to the obama victory fund. wow. crystal football, money for your campaign. hmm -- all right. the keystone pipeline could be on its way to being a reality. making a lot of people, a lot of people angry, but nebraska holds the cards. tomorrow is 4/20. we read through the news to bring awe story from colorado. with the spark miles card from capital one,
11:20 pm
thor's couture gets the most rewards of any small business credit card. [ garth ] thor's small business earns double miles on every purchase, every day! here's my spark card. and here's your wool. why settle for less? great businesses deserve the most rewards! the spiked heels are working. wow! who are you wearing? uhhh, his cousin. [ male announcer ] the spark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase, every day! wait! your boa. what's in your wallet? ♪ ( whirring and crackling sounds )
11:21 pm
man: assembly lines that fix themselves. the most innovative companies are doing things they never could before, by building on the cisco intelligent network.
11:22 pm
11:23 pm
the fate of the controversial keystone pipeline lies in the hands of nebraska. making a decision, the company building the pipeline proposed a new route wednesday. here's more detail. the new proposal travels a little east of the original pipeline. the president postponed making a decision on the pipeline last year due to environmental concerns. joining me now, conservative commentator and the daughter of a presidential candidate jon huntsman. good to you have with us. appreciate it. a proposed new route. what does this do for the president? a lot of heat on him from some in his own party and as well as the other side. now he can say it's nebraska's problem. don't get mad at me? >> i'm sure that's a political
11:24 pm
matter, it's a relief. not necessarily a plus but takes away a minus. they say the decisions that gets to the president's desk are the hard ones. if somebody else could have made it it wouldn't have gotten to the president's desk. this pitted union supporters, a desire for jobs with environmentalists, feel strongly about the risk of the pipeline and this is a bad kind of oil to burn. this shows strength in that it's moved. it's environmentally better. it doesn't really address the broader environmental issues. like i said, i'm sure in the white house they're viewing this as -- >> thank god it's not us. >> kick the can down a bit. >> kick it out west. >> exactly right, but regardless, i mean, as we move to the summer and the fall months, gas prices, oil prices, are going to be if not the most important issue on voters' minds. i have to say, he's been timid when it comes to handling energy independence and the keystone pipeline and even if this is not his decision now, he needs to lead it. he needs to be the president and say, look, we need to speed this up.
11:25 pm
get it going. we're still 60% dependent on foreign oil. >> did he say i'm glad this is changed, now go ahead. bless it? >> talk more broadly about energy independence and how to do it. this particular pipeline won't help has much. the idea, oil gets shipped from canada through the united states, refined, shipped away out of the united states from texas. i think that the argument here is not, to my mind so much about energy independence but more broadly, what are we going to do about the environment, about climate change? what are we going to do about energy? as i say, this was not set up in way he wanted. i'm sure there's some political precedent here that's -- >> other areas, too, that he could be looking at. like, we need to talk to our neighbors, like mexico. like canada. we need to look at other ways to become more energy dependent, because that's the on way we're going to have any control over the gas prices in america. >> i want to ask about what's
11:26 pm
happened on the vice presidential race. this is fun. we have a lot of time left. just an interesting what do you call it, faux pas, freudian slip what happened today. marco rubio doesn't want to be president now or of. said it moss and months ago. i thought he meant it, but then he said this. >> three, four, five, six, seven years from no if i do a good job as vice president -- i'm sorry. >> you guys all got that, right. >> as a senator -- >> that barely counts as a freudian slip. that's like -- like a -- like a bad first date. like, oh, god, the one thing i'm not supposed to say and i just said it. >> giving him press for the coming days. he's made it clear, he's not interested in the job, however i think he would be a phenomenal pick. a list of everything you need for romney, from swing state, he's, hispanic, he's the tea party darling. but i still think he's not going to take it.
11:27 pm
>> interesting to see. >> with vice-presidents you say, no, no, no until he say, oh, okay. >> that's right. the more you don't want it, the more people want you, right? >> i would be surprised if he took it. >> thanks to both of you. appreciate it. still "outfrount" sex offender questioned. >> i'm going it find my sister. that's all i can do. cu goes to pot. >> it's gotten out of control. >> i feel gross to be around that. >> all this tonight, "outfront." [ male announcer ] this is corporate caterers, miami, florida.
11:28 pm
11:29 pm
in here, great food demands a great presentation. so at&t showed corporate caterers how to better collaborate by using a mobile solution, in a whole new way. using real-time photo sharing abilities, they can create and maintain high standards, from kitchen to table. this technology allows us to collaborate with our drivers to make a better experience for our customers. [ male announcer ] it's a network of possibilities -- helping you do what you do... even better. ♪
11:30 pm
11:31 pm
we start the second half of our show with stories we care about, where we focus on our own reporting, do the work and found the out front five. breaking news on two of the secret service agents who lost their jobs on the prostitution scandal in colombia. there are names. david chaney the sump visor allowed to retire. greg stokes the supervisor removed with cause, recently listed as the supervisor of the canine training section of the secret service. a third left the agency yesterday in connection with the scandal and not identified yet, but more heads will roll. the chairman of the homeland security committee tells cnn more secret service agents could be resigning as early as tomorrow. two, a u.s. army black hawk helicopter crashed today in southern afghanistan.
11:32 pm
four american crew member was onboard are believed to be dead and the crash did occur in bad weather, but the u.s. official tells "outfront" they did not rule out enemy action yet. crews were waiting to be picked up when they witnessed the crash. no one on the ground injured. india. first test of a long-range nuclear capable missile was a suction. dubbed opny 5. it could hit major chinese cities including beijing. a success. international reaction was muted. the chinese government says the countries have a sound relationship pt us state department spokesman says india has a solid nonproliferation effort. they went ahead and got one without anyone in the international community saying they could. number four, international jobless claims fell to 386,000. a disappointing report.
11:33 pm
despite the climb. labor department boosted its previous number by 8,000, that is a pretty big increase on the weekly numbers which puts concern about the jobs market. economisting we spoke to are saying, look, wait and see. some think the recent increase in claims could actually be a season's anomaly and the underlying labor market continues to improve. it's been 259 days since the u.s. lost its top credit rating. what are we doing to get it back? jobs matter. so does housing. existing home sales fell in march down 2.6%. a disappointing headline. look at it compared to a year ago. increase 5.2%. we take that silver lining for the day. north carolina police are questioning a registered sex offender in the disappearance of brittany bordeaux stationed at fort bragg. went missing saturday morning after vis illing a local bar. authorities interviewed the registered sex offender who drove bordeaux home, admits to do so but says he didn't do anything to her.
11:34 pm
the criminal defense attorney is "outfront" tonight. what do you think about this and what we can say from what we understand is the case, sex offender, 25 years old. young man there. is this -- he did drive her home. >> he did, and i think that the police are doing the right thing in starting with the last person who saw her alive. that is typical. it is standard procedure. when you have a missing person. but you know, erin, when you listen to what her mother has to say and her sister, they have both said that this is really out of character for her to go awol, her to be missing, not show up to work. let's just hope that she is found alive and well. >> so let me ask you about whether you think this is fair to look at this past. the past of this individual, you said he was 16 or 17 years old when convicted of assaulting a 5-year-old child. >> yes. or having improper relations with a 5-year-old, why he's on the sex offender list and is a convicted person with that type of record. but unfortunately in this case,
11:35 pm
he was the last person seen with her. so it is reasonable for investigators to focus their attention on him. the fact that he has this criminal record raise as red flag and kind of really wants to have the investigators focus on this guy. >> what about -- how far can they go in the situation where they don't know where she is? hoping that she shows up. that she chose to leave for some reason. if she didn't and this doesn't thaend way, what can they do without finding her? >> their job. they really have to do a very good job of investigating the situation. perhaps they can locate surveillance cameras in the neighborhood, in the bar. they could look at her cell phone records. i understand there was some pinging they called it at a nearby tower. they have to do their job, put on a thorough and good investigation and hopefully they'll do that. >> what can they do, though, in terms of moving the case forward or prosecuting if she doesn't show up?
11:36 pm
if they don't have a body? >> it's hard. i mean, they're going to need strong evidence linking him to her in terms of her death. let's assume there was a death, or some sort of assault. without that, without any sort of forensic evidence or direct evidence, i.e., and eyewitness, i don't see how this guy can get arrested, or charged for anything for that matter. >> they should be looking for more evidence. >> they need more evidence. >> thank you very much. appreciate your taking the time. following that awful story, and hope it has a happy ending. we now go to sanford, florida, a statewide task force convened to examine the ground law in the wake of the trayvon martin shooting. covering the story since the beginning, david mattingly. good to see you. obviously this task force. tell me you what know about it, how it's different. what they're trying to accomplish with this thing. >> reporter: well, the governor putting this task force together saying he wanted to do this after the special prosecutor was finished getter her case to court.
11:37 pm
now the governor has come out, headed up by the lieutenant governor. 17 people are on it. the governor says the makeup of this group is racially, regionally and professionally diverse. promising that they're going to be looking at data collected by the state so they're going to make factual decisions about this law determining if it is being applied the way it was intended or abused. so there's a lot in this group is going to be able to do when they're looking at this data, but the public is also going to get a chance to weigh in with hearings and then this committee's going to report back to the state legislature sometime early next year with their findings to determine if this law needs to be changed. >> and, david, tomorrow george zimmerman is going back to court for his bond hearing. a big story. what do you anticipate? >> the big question, will george zimmerman go free tomorrow?
11:38 pm
two things we're looking for pt the prosecution has all the work to do tomorrow to prove that george zimmerman has to stay behind bars. it's possible they could be showing us evidence. we haven't seen before. we don't know. if they do that, that could be very interesting. also, if george zimmerman is awarded a bond and is allowed to get out, we know he's already indigent. if he does have a bond to make, who's going to pay for that? another big question right here, as we're just beginning with this legal process, as george zimmerman goes through the judicial process accused of second-degree murder in this case. so, again, so many questions right now. we're just waiting to see if he gets out and how he's going to pay for that bond, if he does. >> and i'm curious. i want to bring something david said there to give me a thought. if george zimmerman was going to flee, would you have thought whoa have done so before he was even taken into custody given what's happening. >> you would think so. this is, erratic, haphazard
11:39 pm
press conference that attorneys put together and seemed to indicate their client had gone awol and couldn't be found. they were concerned where he was. this is when this all comes to play, and i think that, you know, the prosecutor can say you know what? there's a reasonableness here to the fact he might not stay put. a time when his own attorneys couldn't reach him. there are facts that might help the pross dmugs trying to prevent him from getting bond what is the likely outcome? we've talk the about judge lester. a very, very fact-oriented guy. some prior cases, someone who had schizophrenia, killed their parents, he eventually let that person out of jail. very, very, plays it down the center jrchts that's great. what a judge should do, but second-degree murder is a very serious charge. the charge carries a prison time of 25 years to life. this is not you know, stealing your neighbor's cat we're talking about here. i think it's unlikely he's going
11:40 pm
to get bond. i would be very surprised if he did. >> and david, let me ask you, you mentioned something else i thought was interesting. is it possible there could be new evidence introduced tomorrow? what are the chances and how unusual if that occurs? >> the burden is on the prosecution to prove to the judge that george zimmerman has to stay behind bars. they have to prove that he might be a flight risk or a danger to the community. what we saw in the documents that have been filed so far for probable cause showed what we already knew and what we've already heard. they may have to come back with more information that we haven't seen so far to say to the judge, this is a reason why george zimmerman needs to stay behind bars. we're going to watch very intently tomorrow to find out whats prosecution's plan is, and what they plan to say to keep george zimmerman right where he is right now. >> all right. thanks very much, david mattingly reporting there from sanford in midland, of course. the president's election in
11:41 pm
france son sunday, but this is all about twitter. that's right. or twitter. i don't know. how do you say that word in another language? and a break in the original milk carton missing child case. police today could actually be close to solving a 33-year-old disappearance. i know the name of eight princesses. i'm an expert on softball. and tea parties. i'll have more awkward conversations than i'm equipped for because i'm raising two girls on my own. i'll worry about the economy more than a few times before they're grown. but it's for them, so i've found a way. who matters most to you says the most about you. massmutual is owned by our policyholders so they matter most to us. massmutual. we'll help you get there. who have used androgel 1%, there's big news. presenting androgel 1.62%. both are used to treat men with low testosterone.
11:42 pm
androgel 1.62% is from the makers of the number one prescribed testosterone replacement therapy. it raises your testosterone levels, and... is concentrated, so you could use less gel. and with androgel 1.62%, you can save on your monthly prescription. [ male announcer ] dosing and application sites between these products differ. women and children should avoid contact with application sites. discontinue androgel and call your doctor if you see unexpected signs of early puberty in a child, or, signs in a woman which may include changes in body hair or a large increase in acne, possibly due to accidental exposure. men with breast cancer or who have or might have prostate cancer, and women who are, or may become pregnant or are breast feeding should not use androgel. serious side effects include worsening of an enlarged prostate, possible increased risk of prostate cancer, lower sperm count, swelling of ankles, feet, or body, enlarged or painful breasts, problems breathing during sleep, and blood clots in the legs. tell your doctor about your medical conditions and medications, especially insulin, corticosteroids, or medicines to decrease blood clotting.
11:43 pm
talk to your doctor today about androgel 1.62% so you can use less gel. log on now to androgeloffer.com and you could pay as little as ten dollars a month for androgel 1.62%. what are you waiting for? this is big news. ask me how for? i've never slept better. [ male announcer ] why not talk to one of the six million people who've switched to the most highly recommended bed in america? it's not a sealy, a simmons, or a serta. ask me about my tempur-pedic. [ male announcer ] did you know there's tempur-pedic for everybody? tempur-pedic beds now come in soft, firm, and everything in between. ask me how i can finally sleep all night. [ male announcer ] tempur-pedic -- the most highly recommended bed in america. and now there's a new surprisingly affordable tempur-pedic. ask me about my tempur-pedic. [ male announcer ] these real owners are talking about their new tempur simplicity beds. all the comfort and support of a tempur-pedic in a simple, clean design. ask me how it's just what we need. and nothing more.
11:44 pm
ask me what a step up this is from my spring mattress. ask me about a good night's sleep. [ male announcer ] the new tempur simplicity beds -- surprisingly affordable and all with a 10-year warranty. to learn more or find an authorized retailer near you, visit tempurpedic.com. tempur-pedic -- the most highly recommended bed in america. we're back with outer circle, where we reach out to sources around the world. we begin in france, the presidential race in the final stretch.
11:45 pm
a big election for the country. current president nicolas sarkozy isn't alone in using social media, twitter, to win voters. running the most popular twitter account in the country. covering the elections, i asked how the internet is actually shaping the race of who will rule france. >> reporter: erin, you can tell things would be different in this campaign from the beginning president sarkozy announced the fact he was entering the campaign with a tweet. used his twitter account to make that announcement. one-third of the people are on facebook. it's a country very well tuned in to the internet and social media. and what has happened in the campaigns themselves, there are a number of people that are volunteers that use twitter all the time to either do fact checking, on candidates, opposition candidates on television, check out the fact that they're stating in various messages, and by the same token, they do cheerleading.
11:46 pm
same volunteers go out and cheerlead for the candidate they want with their twitter accounts. erin? >> incredible. now to afghanistan. president hamid karzai called for a transfer of power after photos surfed showing american soldiers posing with body parts of suicide bombers. the u.s. is preparing for eventual withdrawal. i asked nick paton walsh in kabul what the strategy is. >> reporter: erin, you heard today president karzai demand america and nato speed up the transfer of security to afghan forces because of the publication of these photographs in the "los angeles times." we've been to one village in the east where the united states teamed up with villagers who were hostile to the insurgency arming them, paying them to keep that area safe. it's worked the past few months. the taliban's presence there has been relatively peaceful. there are fears this may fail if insurgents during the summer fighting season choose to go
11:47 pm
back into that local area, if the afghan, afghan local police, don't get on wit afghan government that are now supposed toing their masters and if u.s. troops aren't able to provide support because their numbers are increasingly dwindling out here in the east. erin? >> nick paton walsh in afghanistan. breaking news. a possible break in one of the most high profile unsolved missing cases in the united states. 6-year-old etan patz disappeared in 1979 on his way to school. way to the school bus, about two blocks from his home here in new york city. the new lead has investigators searching for his remains after cadaver dogs picked up a scent of a commercial building in lower manhattan. >> we're looking for human remains, clothing or other personal effects, of etan patz in trying to find out where he
11:48 pm
-- why he disappeared and where. >> according to sources today's search is focused on a handyman who reportedly gave etan patz a dollar the day before he disappeared. the case raised national awareness when he became the first of hundreds to appear on the side of a milk carton. lisa cone the author of the missing child case that held america captive, and marc klaas. obviously you've lived and breathed this case for years and years. amazing after all this time, suddenly a break in a 33-year-old case? >> one hand, i am surprised. this is not a lead that goes in a direction people have been following for 33 years. on the other hand, it's been a 33-year roller coaster of twists and turns every time you think you understand the case, something happens that turns it on its head.
11:49 pm
in that sense i'm not surprised, because this is happening this week. and we won't know anything for a while about what will come of it, an it's not clear that it is going to lead us anywhere. >> right. you and i were talking in the commercial break before about we've heard of this, but a cadaver dog picking up a scent of human remains 30-plus year afrs something happened is hard to believe anyway. how could it be possible? but, marc, one of the things we've been hearing, they're going to search the handyman, considered a friend of the family. they didn't search this man's home, though, i understand, and i know lisa will jump in and correct me, originally, more than 30 years ago because the family said he was a friend. is that usual? that it's usually friends and families don't realize they're protecting someone who could have been involved in the disappearance or assault of their child? >> sure, erin. i'd like to say lisa did write an excellent book on etan. i've read it. it's quite wonderful. statistics always take you first
11:50 pm
to the family, then to friends of family, then to peripheral contacts and then finally to strangers and/or the registered sex offenders in the community. unfortunately back in 1979 they didn't have those statistics and they didn't have that kind of knowledge. so they quite possibly overlooked a very important potential lead in the case. >> so they didn't have, no registration then, lisa? is that a big parse of this? >> yes, and in the few high profile cases that followed. they searched the neighborhood, knocked on door, opened people's closets and did look in this basement, but as i understand it, they didn't pull up the floor that had been laid down there. they didn't find anything when they saw what was in the basement the last, when it happened, right after it happened, so -- >> it's hard to say. if it is the case and they find remain there's i find it hard to understand how they couldn't have found it then? they were trying, just messed up in that location and didn't do a good job?
11:51 pm
>> i couldn't begin to speculate. i don't know what they would find now that they wouldn't have been able to find before. >> marc -- go ahead, marc. >> well, i was going to say, they just were not armed with good knowledge at that time, and whatted in that case is not uncommon. there was a case in oregon a few years ago were where a couple of girls disappeared. the son of a serial murderer, in fact, had just laid a new patio in his backyard but nobody paid attention to that for a couple of years and they finally found one of the girls' remains underneath. it's hard to criticize law enforcement when they are really armed with bad information and don't really know a lot about these kinds of cases. we've learned that an enormous amount since. >> they you've done this, reported it so much. where is his family now? reports today somebody may still be living there? what would they be going through right now? >> you know, i think it's very hard, but it's been hard for
11:52 pm
them all this time, and i also think they have been through iterations of this for 33 years. i mean, they have gotten calls saying etan is say live and living in a hippie commune, etan is, this woman's husband in florida. you know, they've heard so many different versions of this. that i -- i know that, that they're waiting. they're just waiting at this point. >> i just can't -- i can't -- hope certainly isn't the word, some sort of a -- knowing. >> yeah, and i've talked to them and to stan patz, his father enough, often fluff to knowthat enough to know he's been through this before, he's a very measured man and also doesn't -- he understands that it's not going to end things, to know what happened to etan finally. it's not going to make the pain go away, but he's been searching for answers all of these years. >> would have been 39 years old. lisa, thanks. marc, thanks to you.
11:53 pm
now to the university of boulder, colorado in boulder. sorry. almost as if i was on some sort of a drug. campus all but shut down in preparation for tomorrow's 420 marijuana smokeout. the state led the nation in legalizing pot passing an amendment to make it okay to smoke medical marijuana. look like some in colorado would like to see it snuffed out. out with latest. i understand that it has a little bit of a smell there? >> reporter: yeah, indeed. this is the cloetest thing stoners have to a holiday, erin. imagine this as being stoners new year's eve and this is their times square. cu boulder at the quad. they say enough. give up 12,000 people lighting up right in the middle of campus. this year saying, enough. we want to squash this. close the campus to outsiders and do everything we can to make this quad that's become ground zero for the marijuana enthusiasts as inhospitable as possible. take a look.
11:54 pm
now, i understand that to make this beautiful quad a little less hospitable you're putting down fertilizer? >> right. we've got some fish emulsifier that seeps into the turf and provides nutrients. it's made of deep-sea fish that feed on plankton and it's smelly. >> reporter: sounds smelly. >> it's very smelly. >> reporter: you'll have to really want tosmoke to put ups with this. >> what we're trying to do, create a disincentive for people to keep coming here for 420. this is not a place that's an appropriate venue for 4 20shgs as we've discussed. not trying to make it easy for people. no. >> reporter: so, erin, a lot of mixed reactions. some people are sad they won't be able to have their big celebration here. actually a group in court fighting the school's decision to close the campus and a thing calmed take back 420. people trying to do this right
11:55 pm
off of kamps, still do their smoking, other people are really happy this isn't happening here. facebook group, stay classy cu. aim to wear suits and ties and come out to show everybody here is not a stoner. a lot of people are also here about a more serious education. a lot of division here, but one thing we know, not the unusual 420 tomorrow. >> a tragedy for a lot of people for sure. thanks to you, jim spellman. still "outfront," how many mistresses are too many? really. [ male announcer ] if you believe the mayan calendar,
11:56 pm
on december 21st polar shifts will reverse the earth's gravitational pull and hurtle us all into space. which would render retirement planning unnecessary. but say the sun rises on december 22nd, and you still need to retire. td ameritrade's investment consultants can help you build a plan that fits your life. we'll even throw in up to $600 when you open a new account or roll over an old 401(k). so who's in control now, mayans? [ male announcer ] bravo, alex. you're officially an actress. and waitress, dog walker, and flier-hander-outer. but mostly an actress. you just booked the coveted role of coffee patron #4. i even have a line. my line is, "latte, please." i don't know. is she french? you know? "latte, please." [ male announcer ] good thing at&t gives you unlimited calling to any mobile, so you can call everyone. i know i have to say latte, but i feel like my character would drink tea. ♪ [ male announcer ] get unlimited calling to any mobile phone on any network when you get unlimited messaging.
11:57 pm
rethink possible. and it hasn't been going exactly as planned. [ director ] cut. cut! [ monica ] i thought we'd be on location for 3 days -- it's been 3 weeks. so i had to pick up some more things. good thing i've got the citi simplicity card. i don't get hit with a fee if i'm late with a payment... which is good because on this job, no! bigger! [ monica ] i may not be home for a while. [ male announcer ] the citi simplicity card. no late fees. no penalty rate. no worries.
11:58 pm
11:59 pm
i saw this headline on page 27 of the "new york post" today. toxic temptress hubby 100 lovers. crazy headline. of course, i had to read the story. thought it was one of those senational then i realized the latest development in a story we've been following for weekance corruption, murder, business deals and the downfall of chinese politician. the number kims from a respected journalist. we reached out to confirm it and he told us it was a conservative estimate and that bo could have been keeping more women. the keeping of a mistress is a male status symbol in china apparently. even a term for it. i woke up one morning in hong kong to see a whole article