Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Poppy Harlow  CNN  August 21, 2016 4:00pm-5:01pm PDT

4:00 pm
from a meeting trump held with hispanic supporters in new york on saturday. here's what his campaign manager kellyanne conway told cnn today. >> so what donald trump said yesterday in that meeting differed very little from what he's said publicly, dana, including his convention speech last month in cleveland. it's that we need a, quote, fair and humane way of dealing with what is expected to be about 11 million illegal immigrants in this country. nothing was said yesterday that differs from what mr. trump has said yesterday. >> let me play something from what mr. trump was said previously. listen to what he said back in november. >> we'll have a deportation force. you'll do it humanely. >> will they get ripped out of their homes? how. >> if they came from a certain country, they'll be sent back to that country. that's the way it's supposed to be. >> does donald trump still support that, a deportation force removing the 11 million or so undocumented immigrants? >> what he supports -- and if
tv-commercial
4:01 pm
you go back to the convention speech a month ago, dana, what he said is that we enforce the law, that we're respectful of those americans who are looking for well-paying jobs and that we're fair and humane for those who live among us in this country. as the weeks unfold -- as the weeks unfold he'll lay out the specifics of that plan that he would implement as president of the united states. >> wo that include a deportation force, the kind he talked about this that sound bite and during the republican primaries? >> to be determined. >> while trump's future support of a deportation force remained tbd, we did learn more about his campaign war chest. brand-new documents filed with the federal election committee found that trump ended july with $38 million on hand for his campaign compared with hillary clinton's $58 million. today trump has spent $89 million on this run for the white house. that's a fraction of the 268
4:02 pm
million that's been spent by clinton. a lot to dissect this hour. joining me is our panel, amy kramer and a. scott bolden is the former cham of the washington, d.c., democratic party and a hillary clinton supporter. thank you both for being here. >> good evening. >> good evening to you both. amy, tbd, that's what kellyanne conway said but also the trump camp is saying he didn't say anything new in the meeting with hispanic supporters that he hasn't said before. either way it's confusing. does donald trump have to do a better job of explaining where he is on this issue? >> i believe he's going to come out with an immigration policy from the reports i've heard this weekend, he expects to come out with something later this week. and so i would wait and decide what i think about it until, you know, he puts out what his plan is. and that's exactly what he needs to do. he needs to talk to the american people about it. >> so he's lagging in the polls among minorities, right?
4:03 pm
whether the fox news poll that shows him 46 points behind clinton when it comes to latino voters in this country, whether it's the nbc/"wall street journal" poll this shows him at 1% support among african-americans. would it behoove him to alter his deportation policy a bit to say, i am going to work on a way or a path towards legalization for some of these 11 million undocumented workers in this country, even if it's not something you agree with, would it help him in the polls? >> i'm not sure about that, poppy. i think that the important thing is that donald trump stands firm on his positions. one of the things that, you know, galvanized people across the country is that they're concerned about our illegal immigration situation. and they want it to be dealt with. and this administration has not dealt with it in the way that people want it to be dealt with. we want our borders secure. it's essential to our national security. >> to be clear, fact checking,
4:04 pm
the obama administration has seen the deportation of a number of undocumented workers in this country so much so that the civil rights committee has dubbed president obama deporter in chief. if we do see a softening of trump's stance on how to handle the 11 million plus undocumented workers in this country, does that make hillary clinton more vulnerable on this issue? because this is something she's been hammering him at. if he changes his tune, does it make it more difficult for her? >> just because he changes his tune doesn't mean he's going to do it. it's impossible to understand exactly what he believes in and what he doesn't. i will say this, it is huge that his campaign manager, huge, was given two or three opportunities to say he would do forced deportation and build the mexican wall and she refused to do it. she said tbd. >> the question wasn't about the wall. he always said he's going to build a wall. >> the forced deportation. it's huge. it was essential to his message in the primary.
4:05 pm
this wouldn't be a pivot. this would be a reversal. then he has to face credibility issues. does he have credibility now if he doesn't go forward with the forced deportation with the people that supported him or does he try to get at blacks and browns and white educated voters? i think the message has been clear. i think that the die has been cast. i think it's too late to get african-americans and hispanics and educated whites back into the fold. the die has been cast. so it doesn't matter what he says. it doesn't matter if he softens his position. >> you're saying the die has been cast when your candidate is way up in the polls in the battleground states, but we know we've got 80 days to go. we'll see a lot more americans paying very close attention to this election after labor day. so amy, to you, though, on those numbers, it is clear that donald trump has to win over more minority voters and has to get more women on board if he wants to win the white house.
4:06 pm
>> right. >> as he prepares for the debate this weekend, we know he started that prep this weekend, what do you want to hear him say on the debate stage september 26th to do that? >> i want him to talk about the policies and his solutions that he's going to implement in order to get our economy going again, to create jobs and to secure our borders and make sure that we're safe as a nation. >> but he's been doing that, amy. what different things do you want to hear? >> immigration policy is a big thing. that's about our national security and securing the borders. that's another thing that i want to hear. i want him to reach out and appeal to these people and talk about why he is going to be a better president than barack obama or hillary clinton would be because hillary clinton will be four more years of the same of this administration that we've had the past eight years. and that's what donald trump needs to articulate. and i think that's what he's trying to do out on the campaign trail. he is out there, he's held 24
4:07 pm
events already this month. and he's continuing to meet with people. as we talked about before, he's down in mississippi and texas reaching out to people. those are not battleground states. >> why is he there? why is he there? people scratched their heads when he went to connecticut last week because it's so solidly blue. why spend money down in, you know, in texas and mississippi? >> well, first of all, because number one, there's a large hispanic and latino population in texas. why not reach out to them? second of all, because it's no secret that there's been a problem with the republican party as well as the democratic party. he's trying to bring the republican base together, reach out probably to some of those ted cruz supporters, the never-trumpers out there. and look, i think ted cruz said -- did exactly what he didn't intend to do. he unified people at the convention when he got up on that convention stage and didn't endorse donald trump. but trump is going to texas and i'm sure he's trying to reach out to those people.
4:08 pm
there's no place that these candidates show not go, poppy. >> switching gears here, scott, i got to ask you about this because this week we learned at the end of the week that the clinton foundation will stop taking money from foreign governments and from corporations if hillary clinton is elected president and that bill clinton will not give paid speeches. he hasn't done so since 2015. but today on "state of the union" our dana bash pressed clinton's campaign manager robby mook on this point, on the decision to not stop that donation from foreign governments now or while she was secretary of state. why wait until she's president if she wins. listen. >> but if this is the right policy now, why not do it when she's running for president? >> the foundation is doing an enormous amount of work and it
4:09 pm
takes time when you're in a number of countries around the world to retool, refocus the mission and adapt. as you said, they receive a great deal of funding through these streams and it will just take some time for them to readjust. >> scott to you, first. >> i don't disagree. i don't disagree. and there is an optics issue, but having referenced it as several nonprofits and forget me for putting my legal hat on, but there's nothing illegal or inappropriate about what the clinton foundation or the initiative has done. they've done incredible work. it does take time if you're going to retool or withdraw that because of perception purposes. but let's be real clear. >> the actual argument would be why not start now? why not start stopping this now? >> well, i don't think that the campaign manager for hillary clinton said they weren't going to do that. he just said it took time. but again this is above and beyond what the 501 c 3 rules
4:10 pm
require. we're on unchartered ground here. there's never been a wife of a former president and now she has a good shot at being a president and he's going to be the first man. this is uncharted ground. i know what they're going to have to do with this foundation is treat it as a blind trust and continue to retool it and continue to consult with the lawyers and 501-3c experts so there's no issue with regard to if i'm giving money to the clinton foundation that somehow i'm trying to gain access to the white house. if those contributors want hillary clinton to win, then i think they should give and they have been or will give to the campaign itself -- >> amy -- >> we have a lot more discussion to do about this. we all agree that we want to avoid that negative perception. >> amy, final thoughts? >> i just think when you've accepted money from foreign governments and foreign corporations --
4:11 pm
>> foundations do that all the time. >> yes, but they don't have somebody that is on the taxpayer dollar either working and there's not somebody that's running for president of the united states. i think there's a clear conflict of interest. and i think that actually the moneys that have already been donated ought to be returned and the foundation should be shut down just like the boston globe wrote this past week. >> scott, amy, thank you very much. spirited debate, as always. you guys have a great week. >> thank you. >> a programming note for you, an interview with my colleague alisyn camerota, you won't want to miss. she went and sat down with mike pence. that exclusive interview tomorrow on "new day" beginning at 6:00 a.m. eastern. the new reality for parts of louisiana after absolutely devastating floods, homes filled with water, furniture heaped on lawns. families living in shelters. our polo sandoval is live in the flood zone. polo? >> reporter: and poppy, we have seen these occasional downpours that are, quite frankly, adding insult to injury for families
4:12 pm
and they're simply trying to gut their homes out and get rebuilding their lives started. coming up you'll meet one of those families and an update to the sobering statistics. more homes have been damaged. a wedding celebration turning deadly after a suicide bomber detonates. the person responsible is believed to be as young as 12 years old. ♪ mapping the oceans. where we explore. protecting biodiversity. everywhere we work. defeating malaria. improving energy efficiency. developing more clean burning natural gas. my job? my job at exxonmobil? turning algae into biofuels. reducing energy poverty in the developing world. making cars go further with less. fueling the global economy. and you thought we just made the gas. ♪ energy lives here.
4:13 pm
i wodon't know where i'd be without itre so when i heard about con-artists committing medicare fraud... it made me so mad i wanted to give them the old one-two one, never give your medicare number to get a free offer or gift two, always check your medicare statements for errors these crooks think we're clueless, they don't have a clue it's your medicare, protect it see more ways to fight fraud at medicare.gov/fraud she said i should think of my teeth like an apple. my hygienist said the most random thing. it could be great on the outside... ...not so great on the inside. her advice? use a toothpaste...
4:14 pm
...and mouthwash that strengthens both. go pro with crest pro-health advanced. it's uniquely formulated with activestrength technology... ...to strengthen teeth inside... ...and is better at strengthening the outside... ...than colgate total. crest toothpaste and mouthwash makes... ...my whole mouth feel... ...amazing. advance to healthier gums and... ...stronger teeth from day one. my check-up was great. crest. healthy, beautiful smiles for life.
4:15 pm
president obama heads to louisiana on tuesday in the wake of the worst natural disaster to hit this country since superstarm sandy. the number of hopes damaged in louisiana now stands at more than 60,000. because some areas are still dealing with that standing water from the flood, that number could rise as teams make their way into those hardest-hit flood zones. as for the residents, they're sifting through the mud and sifting through what is left of their belongings. let's get right to our national correspondent polo sandoval who is right in the middle of the flood zone. frankly, looking behind you, it is stunning. yet these residents some of the luckier ones because most of them actually have flood insurance. >> reporter: right, poppy. so they'll be at least able to rebuild some of their homes. but when it comes to their belongings that you see behind me, they still have to replace all of this. this is basically what that 7 trillion gallons of water and rain left behind. widespread devastation. as you're about to hear, also heartbreak.
4:16 pm
>> this is where the kitchen was right here. the water got up to about 2 1/2 foot in the house. >> reporter: step through jule leblanc's home in the city of gonzales and you see what hundreds of homes in southern louisiana look like today, a bare interior stripped of any comforts of home. >> we had to gut everything totally in the house. >> reporter: he only saved what he and his son alec could carry out as the water approached his doorstep last monday. most of what was left behind had to be discarded and now sits soaked on the front lawn. >> it happened fast. and it's sad. you do what you got to do. we saved a lot. thanks to him and my brother, they put everything as high as they could. >> reporter: leblanc saved his family and the small irreplaceable items including his mother-in-law's albums. >> her stuff she kept in this blue tote.
4:17 pm
this is what gets me. i said, we don't need to get that. so i felt bad the next day because i didn't want it destroyed. and i said, i'm going back. i don't care how deep it is. to get her things that she wanted. >> this is a damn shame. >> reporter: alec used his cell phone to capture that return home along with his son. >> i don't even remember it was his birthday because all the trauma that was going on. ♪ happy birthday to you >> reporter: there was time for a brief celebration amid the heartbreak, though, dad fashioned a makeshift cake out of whipped cream and a few cookies. >> i actually sang happy birthday to him while we were standing in the water in the house. >> reporter: like many of the families on the block, leblanc has help from friends, neighbors and co-workers. >> i'm living in my camp. it's going to be rough for the next two months, but all of us are safe. we're alive. >> reporter: even with those helping hands, he says, it will be weeks, perhaps months before he turns his house into a home again.
4:18 pm
and as we expect to see a presidential visit here in the coming days, you talk to some of the people in these communities, you ask them what they hope the president gets from the visit. not only do they hope that he actually sees this level of devastation, but that he also allows for really an expedited process for federal funding to arrive for some of these families. we mentioned at the top, sure, some families, a small percentage may have flood insurance, but replacing their contents is going to be very difficult and very expensive. >> and of course, all those things that are irreplaceable, no matter how much money you have. polo, thank you very much. live for us tonight in gonzales, louisiana. if you'd like to learn more about how you can help the flood victims in louisiana, go to cnn.com/impact. we have a number of ways there that you can help. coming up, a horrific suicide bombing kills dozens gathered for a wedding celebration in turkey. the attacker believed to be as
4:19 pm
young as 12 years old. more on the influence isis had and what the president of turkey is saying, next. one day a rider made a decision. the decision to ride on and save money. he decided to save money by switching his motorcycle insurance to geico. there's no shame in saving money. ride on, ride proud. geico motorcycle, great rates for great rides. ♪ wireless service is essential to our business. t-mobile network has been amazing. i save a lot of time using t-mobile cause i don't have to worry about the overages. t-mobile has actually come to us and said "we see what is going on in your business, here's how we can help."
4:20 pm
switch today and get a free samsung galaxy for everyone in your business. we went to t-mobile, and we haven't looked back since.
4:21 pm
4:22 pm
a wedding celebration in turkey turning deadly overnight when a suicide bomb explodes in the middle of the festivities. more than 50 people were killed. the person responsible is believed to be a young boy as young as 12 years old. hospital officials say that the bride and groom were also both injured. they're not in critical condition. turkey's president right now blaming isis for the attacks. no group has claimed responsibility thus far, though. this as heartbroken families mourn at dozens of funerals for the victims. the white house and the state department tonight condemning the attack. let's talk about all of it with
4:23 pm
bob behr. first of all, the use of a child. this child is believed to be between the age of 12 and 14. president erdogan of turkey is pointing the blame squarely at isis. is this typical isis strategy, to arm a child with a suicide vest and send them into this? >> well, poppy, it's not the first time, but this magnitude of attack, yes. about a year and a half ago doctors in raqqah told me that children were coming into the hospital traumatized because they were being told they would have to commit suicide in military operations. so the fact that they got a child to cross the border into turkey and attack this wedding party doesn't come as much of a surprise, but it's also a huge danger because police, when a child is approaching them, it's not like they can confront them. it's -- you know, this is getting worse by the day, frankly. >> this was in southern turkey
4:24 pm
right near the syrian border. but when you look at the totality of the situation in turkey, it was just over a month ago that there was this failed coup attempt with more than 200 deaths. thousands of arrests, et cetera. a few months ago, you had the major attack at ataturk airport where 44 people died. i mean, turkey is a country that the united states needs to be much more stable than this because it's not only a key ally in the region, a key muslim democracy, it's a key partner of the united states in fighting isis. >> poppy, i couldn't agree more. when i was assigned to iraq in the '90s, we depended on turkey, we depended on incirlik air force base where the u.s. flew f-16s and protected us. they have nuclear weapons there. we have a government that's being destabilized by syria and iraq. we can complain about erdogan all we like, but he's in a tough, tough position between military discontent and the
4:25 pm
islamic state. that's a wide open border. this conflict in syria is going to have a long-term effect on turkey. i'm convinced of it. >> so what does the united states do, right? the white house, the state department came out tonight, condemned the attack. but i mean, how far can the united states go in terms of trying working to stabilize turkey, to make them the most effective ally they can be in this fight? >> well, i think we're supporting erdogan. you know, we didn't support the coup. we had no involvement in it. it becomes more unstable at this point, i would quietly pull out the nuclear weapons. we just don't know which way it will go. i talk to turks all the time. they're scared for their country. and short of, you know, invading syria and stopping this civil war, you are just going to have to let the whole problem burn itself out. but we just can't predict where it's going to go next.
4:26 pm
>> bob baer, thank you for joining me. you just mentioned the civil war in syria. the human toll. that's what we'll talk about next right here. it was a heartbreaking picture. the picture seen around the world of a little boy, a 5-year-old caught in the horror of war. coming up, the deputy secretary general of the united nations is here to talk to me about the impact of omran's story and why he believes it's proof that the entire world has failed the syrian people. fight back with relief so smooth and fast. tums smoothies starts dissolving the instant it touches your tongue. and neutralizes stomach acid at the source. tum-tum-tum-tum-tums smoothies, only from tums. or keeping a hotel's guests cuttinconnected.i to 35,000 fans... businesses count on communication, and communication counts on centurylink. this clean was like - pow. everything well? it felt like i had just gone to the dentist.
4:27 pm
it just kind of like, wiped everything clean. my teeth are glowing. they are so white. crest [hd]. 6x cleaning, 6x whitening. and at two weeks superior sensitivity relief to the leading sensitivity toothpaste. i actually really like the two steps! crest [hd]. step 1 cleans, step 2 whitens. it's the whole package. no one's done this. crest - healthy, beautiful smiles for life.
4:28 pm
and an early morning mode.ode. and a partly sunny mode. and an outside... to clear inside mode. transitions® signature adaptive lenses... ...are more responsive than ever. so why settle for a lens with just one mode? experience life well lit®. ...upgrade your lenses to transitions® signature. now get up to a $90 rebate by mail. when you purchase glasses and sunglasses featuring select brands. ask your eyecare professional or visit transitions.com for details.
4:29 pm
by now you have seen the image. this is 5-year-old omran daqneesh, the home he shared with his family was bombed this week. who was behind the air strike, we don't know. activists blame the syrian regime and russia. you see him sitting in an ambulance bloodied and covered head to toe in dust just waiting for help. activists tell us it took nearly an hour to dig him out of the rubble. a syrian doctor tells us he
4:30 pm
didn't cry at all. he was in shock. and the perverse reality is that omran is one of the lucky ones. you see him trying to recover there. the syrian observatory for human rights says that more than 4500 children have been killed in syria as this war rages on. omran's brother 10-year-old aly died yesterday at a field hospital because of that air strike. omran's mother is still in that hospital in critical condition. this is a family torn apart by this brutal war that rages on. and this is just one of the families struggling so desperately every single moment in syria. this is incredibly important, and tonight i'm joined by the deputy secretary general of the united nations. thank you very much for being with me. i think it's no question that this is not discussed enough, and i'm glad we're here tonight and you're talking to us about it. you told my colleague clarissa
4:31 pm
ward this week the whole world has failed syria. you say it's worse than a nightmare because you wake up from a nightmare. why isn't more being done by the united nations, by the international community to stop this? >> well, first of all, i hope these images will be serving as wake-up calls for all of us. we sometimes talk about figures, 300,000 people killed in the war, but we need to see the realities on the ground. the child in shock at his brother dying. so i hope this image will play the same role as the girl with napalm over her body in the vietnam war and the young boy ayran kurdi. this war will only end if it's solved and discussed on the level of security council, u.s. and russia in particular.
4:32 pm
and then the countries in the region, turkey is one. then you need, of course, the people on the ground. participants to the conflict jt you brought up the subject of aylan kurdi because people will remember this image, the little boy, the toddler, washed on the shore on the beach dead. another victim of this atrocity. trying to flee. and the perverse reality is that he was trying to flee and he died like that. and this child stayed and his brother died and this child is covered in blood and dust. and the question becomes what's it going to take for these things to happen? how many more of these children do we have to see? >> this is what i ask myself and also secretary general ban ki-moon because the enormous human loss is there.
4:33 pm
and also the fact that the countries in the region are endangered, their security is endangered. you see also the effects of migration, refugees on europe. the whole political map is shifting. it can get worse. it can get worse. and that's why it's so important now that we really mobilize both on the level of security council in the region and -- >> the u.n. special envoy for syria said this week that the united nations as a whole has been forced to completely halt aid deliveries inside syria. he said not one single convoy in one month has reached any of the humanitarian besieged areas. now russia is agreeing to a 48-hour pause so that the supplies can get in. that's the minimum that's needed for humanitarian aid to get in. are we seeing people getting the aid they need now? >> we have 47 days of delivering
4:34 pm
humanitarian assistance a couple of months ago. the cessation of hostilities seemed to hold. fragile but generally it held. now we have hope. we should definitely now go for these 48 hours humanitarian causes, one this week, and if it continues, the following week until we really get serious talks going. we have to start with a step by step approach where the humanitarian pause is introduced followed by longer cessation of hoss tellties and serious talks about transition. this is a chance we have. and i hope that all who can influence the situation will follow this idea of the u.n. now running these 48 hours operations. we are getting the convoys ready. we're ready to go. we are already now preparing. >> because just tell our viewers what happens when that aid doesn't get in, when these convoys can't get in. >> it's unbearable.
4:35 pm
i had the job as emergency coordinator one time. and to see that we see these medieval methods of sieges starving people to death which is against international law. and we see generally a decay, a disrespect of international law which is astounding. we need to have these signals coming from these images. the least we can do for omran is to mobilize. that's the best thing we can do for him and his brother. >> and before i let you go, let's look at omran again and talk about the reality is, i think, many people, their heart breaks when they see this picture, but they also feel detached because they feel like that is there and i'm helpless and i can't do anything. what is your message to people watching at home looking with broken hearts at this young boy and thinking that it's very hard
4:36 pm
to wrap their head around the magnitude of it and what they can do? >> we must fight hopelessness. we must understand that we must never give up. we must stand up for humanity. and we should require our governments, which are push public opinion, we should be active, we should understand that nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something. the worst thing we can do is to turn off the television, not taking the scene in, but i think we should try in some strange way -- i've been out in situations like this myself. unbelievable. unspeakable things that i've seen. and i've said to myself, i don't want to be provoked. i want to use this occasion, this moment to strengthen my intention to act. >> omran's picture was on many
4:37 pm
papers. i cut it out and put it on my office wall next to my computer because it is so difficult for me to look at. but we need to look at what is most difficult to help and enact change. >> and it's not a figure. it's a human being. it's not those neutral figures that you see. but it is the reality of the war. and we need to understand that reality. and we need to mobilize humanity to stop this horror this year. >> u.n. deputy secretary general jan elison. thank you so much. i take prilosec otc each morning for my frequent heartburn because you can't beat zero heartburn! ahhh the sweet taste of victory! prilosec otc. one pill each morning. 24 hours. zero heartburn. the wolf was huffing and puffing. like you do sometimes, grandpa? well, when you have copd, it can be hard to breathe.
4:38 pm
it can be hard to get air out, which can make it hard to get air in. so i talked to my doctor. she said... symbicort could help you breathe better, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. symbicort helps provide significant improvement of your lung function. symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol increase the risk of death from asthma problems. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. you should tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. symbicort could mean a day with better breathing. watch out, piggies! (children giggle) symbicort. breathe better starting within 5 minutes. call or go online to learn more about a free trial offer. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
4:39 pm
igoing to clean betteran electthan a manual. was he said sure...but don't get just any one. get one inspired by dentists, with a round brush head.
4:40 pm
go pro with oral-b. oral-b's rounded brush head cups your teeth to break up plaque and rotates to sweep it away. and oral-b delivers a clinically proven superior clean versus sonicare diamondclean. my mouth feels super clean! oral-b. know you're getting a superior clean. i'm never going back to a manual brush. donald trump this week reaching out to african-american voters in a major way. >> i fully recognize the outreach to the african-american community is in an area where
4:41 pm
the republican party must do better and it will do better. the gop is the party of abraham lincoln. and i want our party to be the home of the african-american voter once again. >> cnn political commentator charles blow is with me. he penned an op-ed this week actually before donald trump said that. the op-ed is titled why blacks loathe trump. part of it reads, although black america is looking askance at donald trump, he has no credibility with black people other than the handful of black staffers and surrogates who routinely embarrass themselves. trump has demonstrated through a lifetime of words and actions that he is no friend of the black community. he joins me now to talk about it. thank you for being with me. >> yes. >> you wrote that before he made
4:42 pm
those remarks last night, before he spoke in michigan on friday. >> after he spoke in milwaukee, where he made his first outreach. >> so let's talk about this. he knows from the polling that he has to do better. he's at 1% with black voters. you know, you had mccain at 4, mitt romney had 6. are you glad at least to hear him talking to black voters even if not in the way that you might want to see? >> i don't believe he's talking to black voters. >> okay. >> so i believe that this is a wounded person who realizes the wound is deep and is doing anything and everything to try to salvage that. i do not believe that, you know, 70-year-old leopard can change his spots in the last 70 days of a campaign that he is probably going to lose if current trends continue in record numbers. if you wanted to speak to black voters, you'd actually be in
4:43 pm
front of black voters. he's had ample opportunities to speak to black groups. the naacp has invited him, he has rejected them. the urban league invited him. he's reject them. >> his attorney michael cohen said on our air he may go speak in front of the naacp. we may see more of that. >> the supposition is strong. why did you not do it when hate and bigotry was getting you votes? i think it actually fed more hate, that he amplified it because at the base of it the man is a salesman. he realized that that was selling a brand and he was doing it well, it worked very well for him in the primaries. now that it is not working, he's doing any and every other thing. >> so let's listen to something else that he said on friday night when he spoke in dimondale, michigan, which is a population of 93% white people and the group he spoke in front of was almost wholly white which
4:44 pm
he's been criticized for. here's part of what he said. >> the inner cities of our country have been run by the democratic party for more than 50 years. their policies have reduced only poverty, joblessness, failing schools and broken homes. it's time to hold democratic politicians accountable for what they have done to these communities. at what point do we say enough? >> does he have an argument there? >> you may be able to have an intellectual argument if you were not bigoted yourself. if your whole life -- if you can look at -- and what i did in that piece is look at your entire life including the year and a half that you've been running for president. what have you demonstrated in that entire period that you can point to to say i'm an egalitarian? what can you point to in that
4:45 pm
entire period that says i have done outreach of any sort? you're 70 years old. somewhere in your life you should be able to say i've done outreach in some way. >> his team would say the economic policies of this administration they would say have failed black america and that his job creation ability will help elevate them. so much so that he said he can get 95% of the black vote in four years which president obama only got 93%. >> all that's ridiculous. one of my favorite quotes is the great effect of racism is it's a distraction and keeps you explaining things that don't need explained. any lie does that. people know who donald trump is. and the idea that you could -- that that he would throw out a distraction, which is all this is. in my opinion, this is nothing but distraction. if you wanted to appeal to black people, you'd actually be saying something positive in the appeals. this is a backhanded way of criticizing black people in front of white people --
4:46 pm
>> so there's another argument. on my show last night. let's listen to what he said. >> there's one argument about trump's outreach to black voters this week that he's not so much looking for the votes of african-americans but he's trying to prove to college-educated republicans who are turned off by this that he's not racist. >> what do you make of that? >> there may be something to that. i think it's worse than that, though. i do believe that it is a backhanded way of criticizing back people in front of white people jt people. >> to what end? >> it cements the idea that black people are not necessarily great agents of their own faith and their futures. it says you have allowed yourself to be hoodwinked. he ticks off ridiculous numbers of stereotypes and statistics that are all negative. nothing positive about black people. he can't find a positive thing to say about the plaque
4:47 pm
community. that is not an appeal to black people. that's to reinforce negative stereotypes that white people already hold about black communities. in that way, it is basically an echo chamber of what they already feel. this is not -- and people need to stop saying that this is an appeal just because he his it's an appeal. it is a negative treatment of black people in america and black people see straight through it. >> 80 days to go. anything he could do or say? >> there are things he could do or say from a moral perspective that would be an apology for the thing he's done. that should not garner a single vote. there's nothing that should switch a vote. but he should do things morally because he's been so abhorrent as a human being both in the race and throughout his life. >> charles blow, the op-ed is an important read. i'm sure you'll have another one this week. thank you very much for coming in. important discussion. coming up, images spending -- imagine, i should
4:48 pm
say, spending months indoors and only seeing the outside for a few seconds at a time. we're going to take you to miami where this woman, this pregnant mother is living that reality, next. this car is traveling over 200 miles per hour. to win, every millisecond matters. both on the track and thousands of miles away. with the help of at&t, red bull racing can share critical information about every inch of the car from virtually anywhere. brakes are getting warm. confirmed, daniel you need to cool your brakes. understood, brake bias back 2 clicks. giving them the agility to have speed & precision. because no one knows & like at&t.
4:49 pm
4:50 pm
4:51 pm
concerns about the zika virus are drastically changing the lives of some families in florida. carla mcguire is four months pregnant and rarely now leaves the house even with a long-sleeved shirt on and long pants and mosquito repellent. she says there are too many risks that put her family in danger. our elizabeth cohen sat down with her to hear why. >> reporter: carla mcguire helps her mother-in-law get her son's stroller out the door. and that's it. mcguire stays behind while grandma gets to play with little raphael. [ speaking spanish ] mama is at home and you're here.
4:52 pm
that's because raphael's mother is pregnant in miami where zika is spreading. >> i don't want to be outside unnecessarily. >> reporter: and she knows what she's talking about. you're not just any other concerned pregnant lady. >> yeah. people an ob/gyn as well. >> reporter: she's an obstetrician and assistant professor at the university of miami. dr. mcguire is doing everything she can to protect raphael's future little brother. so we got to go out with raphael, with his grandma, but you had to stay home. is that hard? >> it is tough. because one of things i like doing with him since he's so energetic is playing outside. so being inside and kind of entertaining myself inside is sad. but i'll get through it. >> reporter: she knows one mosquito bite could potentially give her baby microcephaly, a devastating birth defect. when things go wrong with zika, they go really wrong. >> i think that's what people
4:53 pm
are most afraid of, and especially my pregnant ladies is that it can be pretty devastating. >> reporter: dr. mcguire hardly leaves the house except to go to work. and when she does, she is slathered in bug spray. so you've got one, two, three, four bottles of bug spray. >> and one in each bag i carry. i'm prepared at all times. >> reporter: her baby's due in february. and until then fun with her son means staying indoors. >> it's hard, and they have a pretty long way to go in pregnancy. so i'm just trying to take it one day at a time. one, two, three, four, five. >> reporter: and that's what she tells her patients. one day at a time as zika spreads in miami. elizabeth cohen, cnn, surfside, florida. elizabeth, thank you. coming up, switching gears, jeanne moos with politics at the grassroots level. and it's all caught on tape. running for president means
4:54 pm
staying in a different hotel every night. so i use the hotels.com rewards program to earn free nights. which i can use for my new friends here. thanks, captain obvious. you're welcome. roger that, sir. my name isn't roger. supported by hotels.com. enepeople want power.hallenge. and power plants account for more than a third of energy-related carbon emissions. the challenge is to capture the emissions before they're released into the atmosphere. exxonmobil is a leader in carbon capture. our team is working to make this technology better, more affordable so it can reduce emissions around the world. that's what we're working on right now. ♪ energy lives here.
4:55 pm
4:56 pm
4:57 pm
thieves caught on video stealing donald trump signs but trump supporters are undeterred. here's jeanne moos. >> you are looking at perhaps the most endangered species of yard sign. >> four signs i had up with donald trump are missing. >> reporter: they tend to be drive-bys. someone makes a beeline for the trump sign, grabs it, then jumps in a getaway car. and check out this dainty thief. the most recent theft involved a runner in hillsdale, new jersey. she jogged past the hour, waited for a car to leave, then came back, picked up the sign and took off. when the video went public, she turned herself in. the neighbor's trump sign was plucked by a masked woman. it could be worse.
4:58 pm
>> respect my opinion to vote for who i want to. >> reporter: this artist created a giant t for a yard in staten island. in the middle of the night someone set it on fire. the donald himself called to commisera commiserate. what's an artist to do? rebuild. >> it's going to be huge! >> reporter: this house in indianapolis lost a dozen trump signs in three weeks. we found very few hillary signs reported stolen. either her supporters aren't posting them or they're being left alone. in massachusetts one of richard early's signs was spraypainted never over trump. he had nine signs ripped out and tossed in the street. >> we're not going to take them down. the signs are staying up. >> reporter: some bipartisan tips for protecting your yard signs. a pennsylvania man slathers roofing tar on the edges. hard to get off and easy to spread to clothing and car. another person went and bought a giant jar of vick's jameso rub and smeared it over every inch
4:59 pm
of the sign. when hillary signs did i appeared out in the hamptons the owner reinstalled them on 12-foot poles with surveillance cameras and electric fencing. it may not be easy to steal an election, but an election sign? jeanne moos, cnn, new york. coming up tonight, a brand-new episode of declassified, faith under fire. and the life of a detained christian aid worker hangs in the balance. see the moments leading up to the daring rescue. >> you could feel in the air the volatility and the intensity and the chaos. we heard the sound of angry men running down the hallway. and these men started to bang on the door of our prison cell. these men were dressed for war. their heads were covered with
5:00 pm
turbans that were wrapped around their faces. all you could see were their eyes. it was very clear that these men would have no qualms with doing us harm. >> declassified tonight, 10:00 p.m. eastern. i'm poppy harlow in new york. thanks for joining me. back in 1981, i had the american dream, the beautiful wife, the house in the suburbs and a beautiful 6-year-old son. and one day i went to work, kissed my son good-bye, never saw him again. in two weeks, i became the parent of a murdered child, and i'll always be the parent of a murdered child. i still have the heartache, i still have the rage. i waited years for justice. i know what it's like to be there waiting for some answers. and over those years, i learned

178 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on