Skip to main content

tv   CNN Tonight With Don Lemon  CNN  April 18, 2018 8:00pm-9:00pm PDT

8:00 pm
this is "cnn tonight." i'm don lemon. 11:00 p.m. here on the east coast. we're live with all the breaking news for you. a long time lawyer for donald trump says he has warned the president to be careful about michael cohen. jay goldberg who negotiated trump's divorces said the president called him last friday seeking advice. goldberg says he warned trump that cohen could flip on him, even suggesting that cohen might be wearing a wire. we're gog to have more on that in just a moment. plus listen to what the president says tonight about sanctions on russia. >> we'll have sanctions as soon as they very much dweserve it. >> but it's hard to square that with the president's claim he has been tough on russia. >> there has been nobody tougher on russia than president donald trump. i want to get right to our breaking news tonight and that's on michael cohen. michael, thank you so much for joining us this evening.
8:01 pm
so let's talk about your reporting, that one of the president's long time legal advisers jay goldberg warning him about michael cohen, that he could flip. what else could you tell us about that warning? >> basically he said that in his long experience as a criminal defense attorney and a prosecutor that essentially someone can say, you know, i'm going to stand by you, i'm never going to crack. but when a family man like michael cohen and he's facing the prospect of criminal charges, time in jail, he's got kids at home, that he's almost certainly as jay goldberg says is going to flip and turn on the president. so he said you just have to be very careful. you may trust this guy, but in my experience he's going to crack. even mob figures crack when they're under. >> interesting. tell our audience about jay goldberg. this is someone who's been a key figure in president trump's personal life.
8:02 pm
>> that's right. he has 50 years of legal experience both as a prosecutor on the federal level and a criminal defense attorney. he's defended mob figures. he did as you said two of donald trump's divorces, and, you know, basically has just a wealth of legal experience. he's in his mid-80s now. and so donald trump likes to consult people in this life from the past when he's seeking advice about he should do in a situation. right now he's kind of gone through a number of different lawyers, and he's facing some serious questions after this raid of michael cohen's apartment, his totell room and office last week. >> and michael, he also warned the president against sitting for an interview with robert mueller. what was his reasoning? >> basically he said, you know, you may think you're going to be able to tell the truth and you'll be fine, but it'll be a trap. so you never should give an interview because you never know
8:03 pm
even if you tell the truth what kind of trap you're going to walk into. he also advised the president to fire deputy attorney general rod rosenstein and look for someone more loyal. he said the president, you know, was mostly quiet, the president listened. he did respond, i think michael cohen is very strong. but essentially that is what jay goldberg told him. >> so did jay goldberg mention how the president was to his advise? does it sound like he's taking his advice seriously? >> the president didn't give a lot of response. mr. goldberg also spoke to ty cobb who's leading the president's legal team, and they told us today, you know, the president called mr. goldberg as a courtesy and that he had passed along mr. goldberg's advice to his legal team. mr. goldberg also recommended
8:04 pm
another lawyer who's also a new york criminal defense attorney, former prosecutor to be on the legal team. but he was not interested in that, and so it's unclear how serious seriously -- he actually reportedly called mr. cohen the same day he spoke to goldberg. if that call happened afterward, clearly he was not listening if jay goldberg told him don't talk to michael cohen because he might be wearing a wire. >> interesting. michael of "the wall street journal," thank you. appreciate your time. i want to bring in now cnn law enforcement analyst jonathan and page payton and areva martin, the author of "make it rain." let's discuss this. page, who typically flips? what kind of client? >> that's a great question, don.
8:05 pm
i would disagree with the people who say that everybody flips. i mean i've been representing people in federal criminal cases for 24 years now, and not everybody flips. there are a lot of people who were willing to go ahead go to trial. if they're not guilty, great. if they're guilty they'll go ahead and serve their time. they don't want to turn on somebody for personal reasons or the benefits aren't that great. i mean michael cohen would have to get a sweet deal i think for him to be willing to turn on the president when the president has really been his livelihood for so many years. so i think it's going to take more than just we'll go easy on you or we'll give you a few years off. >> you think that trump will actually pardon cohen to void all this? >> i absolutely do. and i think the new york attorney general is so concerned about that that he has gone to the governor to try to seek some protection. because new york will also give protection to someone who's received a federal pardon from
8:06 pm
state charges as well. so i think that is definitely a possibility if trump is really concerned that cohen's going to cooperate against him. he would end it right when he's charged. he's not going to wait for a conviction, not going to wait for the opportunity for him to cooperate. go ahead and stop it now. and i am certain that there's some sort of message being sent to cohen either directly or indirectly that's going to be the deal. >> you believe michael cohen will flip. >> clearly none of us know exactly what michael cohen is going to do. we're not inside his head. we don't know what advice he's getting -- >> and we're assuming there's something to flip on. >> that's the point i was about to make, don. all of this assumes that the president has done something, that he's done something he believes or someone believes is criminal and that we know to flip someone you have to be able to give the prosecutors some information that's going to be valuable to the prosecutors. so if it's just general information the prosecutors aren't going to give michael cohen a sweet deal if he doesn't
8:07 pm
have any valuable information to provide them with. so this conversation about would michael cohen flip or not really needs to be about what is it that donald trump has done that michael cohen knows about that could be used as leverage to get him to disclose to the federal prosecutors? i think that is the real issue here. has donald trump engaged in criminal activity that michael cohen knows about that was the subject of the raids that the fbi engaged or that they conducted on his office or his home? >> i think it's interesting that this attorney is giving him advice about, you know, be careful, he's going it flip or what have you because if you're the attorney for the president, jonathan, and from your past dealings you know that this guy is above board and he's done things, you know, within the law, you wouldn't have to say that. you'd say, hey, you have nothing to hide. talk to whoever you want to. >> i think that the president's
8:08 pm
trying to reach out to get any advice he can in a pressure cooker situation. look at what the mueller investigation has done. it's created this absolute paranoia to anyone that's involved. with the president reaching out, and now we're talking about michael cohen wearing a body wire to record the president. >> would that ever get by the secret service? >> it depends. i'll be honest with you, it depends on what type of access level that the staff is granting to michael cohen. but i think if i'm on the mueller investigation, i'm an investigator on that team, what am i trying to get by listening into that conversation? am i trying to pick up some sort of spontaneous utterance by the president? listen, if there's a there there in this investigation, they're going to find it other ways. the president is not going to admit it verbally to michael cohen that he did something illegal or anything like that. so i think that mueller is running a very systematic investigation to either prove or
8:09 pm
disprove what he's supposed to be doing. but to your question, can someone walk into the it white house with a wire on? no, they can't. okay, the secret service has ways to protect that. >> and anyone who's been there knows you have to go through several layers of security, and you walk through metal detecters and put your stuff -- >> exactly. so the advice that michael cohen could wear it, it's speculation, but it's not pragmatic. >> so, page, do you get the sense that there's an assumption that michael cohen has committed some crime on behalf of the president? how do you view what's happening here? >> you know, don, it seems crazy but i can't imagine the president would be responding the way he is to this development if he didn't have something to hide. he sends his lawyers down to court to prevent the government from even seeing anything that might have some connection to him in michael cohen's files that were seized by the government. and he's also reaching out to long time lawyers who have
8:10 pm
represented him in the past showing the type of concern you would expect from someone who has something to hide. >> you think it's over past business dealings, maybe? the way he handled his real estate businesses? >> that doesn't make the most sense, because i think since he's become president it's unlikely he done anything with michael cohen to create some criminal exposure. but there's no way donald trump or michael cohen had any knowledge some years ago they would be under this scope. >> areva, that's your red line, remember? >> to that point that page is making about the president taking these extraordinary efforts to try to prevent this information from becoming public, he's doing the same thing in the civil lawsuit involving stormy daniels. he hired counsel in that lawsuit to join into the action to prevent stormy daniels from telling her story. so, again, the president is engaging in conduct that suggests that he is guilty of something. we don't know what it is.
8:11 pm
the information has not been disclosed to the public. but someone who has nothing to hide doesn't engage in the kind of conduct he's engaging in with respect to this criminal investigation of michael cohen and the civil lawsuit involving stormy daniels. >> if cohen, jonathan, decides he wants to record future phone conversations, any way to protect the president against that? don't talk to him. >> that's it. it comes down to basic of communications security. watch what you say, operational security. you can have a conversation with michael cohen as much as you want. you don't know if he has a speakerphone on his ends, if he's recording for an iphone. so electronic surveillance takes a lot of different means, and it's very difficult to protect end point conversations. >> let's talk, page, a little bit more about jay goldberg. did he violate attorney-client privilege by disclosing this or any ethical guidelines or not because he's no longer actively engaged as his lawyer?
8:12 pm
>> don, it knows back to the question whether or not he was giving donald trump legal advice on that phone call, and it sounds to me that's expecthy what he was doing. but if trump then shared that advice with another lawyer that would still be protected. so he must have had the approval of the white house before he released that, because otherwise, yes, i think he would be violating attorney-client privilege. >> the key factor here is what the feds already had on michael cohen, because they clearly had enough to get a search warrant for multiple raids. that's not an easy task, areva. >> no, not at all. they had to be submitted to a magistrate judge and meet this extremely high bar to establish before that magistrate. the high probability that crimes have been committed by michael cohen in order to cart out those ten boxes that we know were taken from his office and to get the hard drive and electronic devices that were taken, that electronic information. so something -- michael cohen is
8:13 pm
in a lot of trouble, no doubt about that. he's under federal investigation, and it's not something you can take lightly. and i think the advice to jay goldberg to donald trump is sound advice. i don't think donald trump should assume that anyone is going to go to jail perhaps ten years or more for crimes he may have been involved in. i knee eknow he talked about th loyalty pledge and he'll take a bullet for the president, but this is man with a family. i actually know friends who have seen michael cohen out with his kids. so as a person who has a family i can't imagine talking to my spouse about going to jail to protect someone else and raising your child or children as a single parent. so there are a lot of situations that will come into play. >> i know for a fact he 's concerned about it. he's in a lot of trouble.
8:14 pm
>> yeah, he's in a lot of trouble. the fbi, the investigators they're not on a fishing expedition here. they're not saying we're just going to raid these offices just to see what we can see. this is spear fishing. they knee exactly what they wanted to find, exactly the evidence that they thought was there, and they're sifting through that. what exactly is there, you know, time will tell. but i think he is in a lot of trouble. i mean, just think about the process here. you know, agents of the fbi had to sit in front of a magistrate and they had to swear to certain facts that they know to get that search warrant. you know, that's not a fishing expedition. >> thank you so much. appreciate it. when we come back the president also had a lot to say tonight about russia, about sanctions, and about kim jong-un. we're going to get fareed zakaria to weigh in. that's next.
8:15 pm
your society was led by a woman, who governed thousands... commanded armies... yielded to no one. when i found you in my dna, i learned where my strength comes from. my name is courtney mckinney, and this is my ancestrydna story. now with 5 times more detail than other dna tests. order your kit at ancestrydna.com nand it's also a story detmail aabout people tests. and while we make more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country, we never forget... that your business is our business the united states postal service. priority: you
8:16 pm
i'm all-business when i, travel... even when i travel... for leisure. so i go national, where i can choose any available upgrade in the aisle - without starting any conversations- -or paying any upcharges. what can i say? control suits me. go national. go like a pro. looking for a hotel that fits... whoooo. ...your budget? tripadvisor now searches over... ...200 sites to find you the... ...hotel you want at the lowest price. grazi, gino! find a price that fits. tripadvisor. with our #1 formula to burn fat, best-selling supplement to build muscle, and most effective ingredient to boost free testosterone, force factor will help you unleash your potential. now available at walmart. ( ♪ )
8:17 pm
your heart doesn't only belong to you. child: bye, grandpa! and if you have heart failure, entrusting your heart to entresto may help. entresto is a heart failure medicine that helps improve your heart's ability to pump blood to the body. in the largest heart failure study ever, entresto was proven superior at helping people stay alive and out of the hospital compared to a leading heart failure medicine. don't take entresto if pregnant. it can cause harm or death to an unborn baby. don't take entresto with an ace inhibitor or aliskiren, or if you've had angioedema with an ace or arb. the most serious side effects are angioedema, low blood pressure, kidney problems, or high blood potassium. ask your doctor about entresto. and help make more tomorrows possible. entresto, for heart failure.
8:18 pm
president trump insisting again tonight that he has been tougher than anyone else on russia, but the facts don't exactly bear that out. let's bring in fareed zakaria the host of fareed zakaria, gps. i know you don't like the glasses, so i'm going to take them off for you. i actually can see better with them.
8:19 pm
but listen, not much has happened since you've been here, right? >> not much has happened. it's the usual trump circus. we've got a few tweets. >> the president held a joint press conference tonight with the prime minister of japan, and right at the end he says this about russia. watch this. >> there's been nobody tougher on russia than president donald trump. between building up the military, between creating tremendous vast amounts of oil we raised billions and billions of dollars extra in nato. we had a very, very severe -- we were talking about it a little while -- fight in syria recently, a month ago between our troops and russian troops. and that's very sad. but many people died in that fight. there has been nobody tougher than me. >> fareed, he keeps saying that but his acs don't really bear that out. because we learned just today
8:20 pm
from the administration there won't be any additional sanctions on russia. >> you know, the odd thing about trump is what he really is on russia is totally erratic. you don't have a strategy towards russia. it would be one thing if there were a strategy that said, look, we are going to try to get on with russia and here's the strategy and here's what we're going to do. and we want these deliverables. that's not it. on mondays he listens to james mattis and does a bunch of things that are anti-russian. on tuesday he decides he doesn't want to do that for god knows what reason and on wednesday he watches nikki haley and decides that's not what i'm going to do and on thursday he decides i'm going to be tougher. i can tell you having traveled around the world the last few months, that is the most difficult thing for countries around the world to understand. countries around the world
8:21 pm
understand america is so powerful. they will accommodate themselves to any american strategy. but what they can't understand is this bizarre -- it's constantly shifting. one day nikki haley is speaking for trump, the other day she's not. i think he boxed himself in on russia because he was unable to mouth the simple truth that russia interfered in our elections and therefore they needed to be penalized. so everything after that has been sort of a weird compensation because of that absence. >> he can't admit that because he thinks in some way he's admitting that they helped him and that was the reason he became president. >> i think that's exactly right, that somehow -- you could write the speech, don. it would be so easy to say this is not about me, this is what the russians did, this is why it's bad. if i benefitted, you know, it's
8:22 pm
bad. he would actually seem a statesman. he would seem larger than himself. he'd be taking on the cause of the country not himself. but for some reason he just can't do it, and that has boxed him in, where he doesn't -- clearly there's a part of him that wants to have some -- with russia, but he can't move in that direction because everyone thinks it's because putin has something on him, and he can't go in the other direction either. so what we have the sis bizarre schizophrenia. >> because he talks about maximum pressure on north korea and unbelievably powerful sanctions on north korea. when it comes to that maximum campaign he thinks is so effective he can't find himself to do sanctions on russia. >> he's never really been able to understand that russia is in many ways the principle kind of spoiler in the international
8:23 pm
system. the russians are the ones who are trying to destabilize jueure and thia crane. trying to destabilize western democracy. you know, this is not -- i think this is something we can soberly understand and do something about. but it seems as if trump doesn't seem to understand that. there's a part of him that doesn't quite get that. and this is not just true about russia. he admires putin because he's a tough guy. he admires duterte in the philippines because he's a tough guy. that's not the same as having interests and values compatible with what the united states wants and the west wants. >> there's a book power versus force. you'd rather be powerful than forceful. >> and particularly be
8:24 pm
influential and respected. there's something about -- james comey has taken a lot of flack for making the reference to organized crime. the two elements that are true is there's enormous emphasis on loyalty, and there's enormous emphasis on power. those two elements in the trump circle do seem very -- >> can we talk north korea now? because here's what he had to say about that. >> if we don't think it's going to be successful, mark, we won't have it. if i think it's a meeting that is not going to be fruitful, we're not going to go. if the meeting when i'm there is not fruitful, i will respectfully leave the meeting. president moon of south korea was very generous in when he said if it weren't for donald trump the olympics would have been a total failure. it was my invucholvement and th involvement of our great country
8:25 pm
that made the olympics a very successful olympics. >> that was my favorite line. >> if not for donald trump the olympics -- any american president has personally taken credit for the success of the olympics. >> now one has. he talked about mike pompeo, the secret meeting there. but the question is, and you know he has the summit. denuclearization, is that a reality? >> the trump administration and trump gives them a lot of credit for trying, for exploring these issues is important. i think it's important to understand so far the north koreans have really been getting everything they wanted without having to concede anything. all they have said is that they're willing to talk about denuclearization. and because of this they have gotten a meeting with the south korean president, a meeting with the american president, a prospect of the end of hostilities with south korea, the prospect of the end of hostilities with america and the recognition of north korea.
8:26 pm
what do the north koreans mean by denuclearization? maybe it's changed, but historically what they have meant and they've been very consistent about this is they say we are talking about the denuclearization of the korean peninsula, by which we mean first the united states has to withdraw it's nuclear guarantee for south korea. it has to withdraw its troops in south korea. it has to change its alliance, which defends -- which assures south korea of defense. because all of that is basically in their view a nuclear threat to north korea. when you do that, maybe we'll get rid of our nukes. now, that's a very different -- i hope somebody has briefed donald trump that when north korea talks about denuclearization this is what they mean. they're not just talking about getting rid of their nukes. they're talking about kicking the united states out of south korea entirely. and if you do that, maybe we'll get rid of our nukes.
8:27 pm
>> fareed zakaria, thank you. are we good now? >> i still like it without the glasses. >> i know. he says you're too handsome for those glasses and i appreciate that. thank you. don't miss fareed zakaria gps. and when we come back the president said they cleared him but really they just shutdown the investigation. i'm going to ask the ranking member adam schiff if he thinks there's evidence of collusion. that's next. is it possible to save someone's life...
8:28 pm
from thousands of miles away? yes. thanks to the dedicated technicians at the american red cross... who worked with vmware... to develop technologies to help redirect the flow of blood to the areas and people needing it most. helping them recover... and refilling everyone with life-affirming hope. magic can't make digital transformation happen... but we can. that's the power of vmware, part of dell technologies.
8:29 pm
[ drum roll ] ...emily lapier from ames, iowa. this is emily's third nomination and first win. um...so, just...wow! um, first of all, to my fellow nominees, it is an honor sharing the road with you. and of course, to the progressive snapshot app for giving good drivers the discounts -- no, i have to say it -- for giving good drivers the discounts they deserve. safe driving! for giving good drivers the discounts they deserve. it's these new fresh-fx car air fresheners from armor all. each scent can create a different mood in my car. like tranquil skies. armor all, it's easy to smell good.
8:30 pm
if you'd have told me three years ago... that we'd be downloading in seconds, what used to take... minutes. that guests would compliment our wifi. that we could video conference... and do it like that. (snaps) if you'd have told me that i could afford... a gig-speed. a gig-speed network. it's like 20 times faster than what most people have. i'd of said... i'd of said you're dreaming. dreaming!
8:31 pm
definitely dreaming. then again, dreaming is how i got this far. now more businesses in more places can afford to dream gig. comcast, building america's largest gig-speed network. president trump and his joint news conference tonight with japan's prime minister repeating his assertions about the ongoing russia investigation, insisting over and over again there was no collusion. >> there was no collusion, and that's been so found as you know by the house intelligence committee. there's no collusion. there was no collusion with russia other than by the democrats or as i call them the obstructionists because they truly are obstructionists. so we are giving tremendous amounts of paper -- >> i want to bring in now
8:32 pm
congressman adam schiff. thank you for coming on. the president once again says there's no collusion. first there are multiple investigations that are going on, and secondly your republican colleague shutdown the house intelligence committee's investigation. is that the conclusion you arrived at? >> certainly not. the president said a lot of things tonight that certainly weren't true beginning with his m mantra of no collusion, no collusion we certainly have seen collusion with george papadopoulos, they previewed the dissemination of those e-mails, and in trump tower that arranged dirt on hillary clinton, the campaign's willingness to accept that help and shortly thereafter the russians unloading stolen e-mails to wikileaks for their dissemination. so there is certainly evidence of collusion. whether it rises to proof beyond a reasonable doubt of a conspiracy to defraud the united
8:33 pm
states bob mueller will have to decide. it president, don, also said that the intelligence committee had reached a conclusion. we haven't. the republicans decided to abandon the investigation. even when we hadn't interviewed several key witnesses, hadn't subpoenaed any number of documents we needed, and that's hardly conclusive of the president's case. the president today also in mar-a-lago made the claim he's been fully cooperative and has never invoked privilege or withheld documents. in fact, it pertains to our investigation they have done that repeatedly. steve bannon testified that he was instructed by the white house not to answer our questions about time in the white house, the transition or even most questions thereafter. and when he was subpoenaed he would only answer 25 questions that were written out for him by the white house, all of which had a one word answer, and that was no. so time after time witnesses
8:34 pm
refused to answer questions. they did so because they either invoked privilege, were instructed by the white house not to answer, or didn't answer because they wanted to preserve the white house's ability in the future to invoke privilege. so the president's statement representation that they've been fully cooperative at least as far as our committee is concerned is completely incorrect. >> the president was asked again if he was planning to fire robert mueller and deputy rod rosenstein. here's what he said. >> they've been saying i'm going to get rid of them for the last three months, four months, five months and they're still here. >> does that give you much reassurance? >> no, it certainly doesn't. and the president contradicts himself all the time. i remember just a few weeks ago he was attacking maggie haberman and "the new york times" saying they're suggesting i'm unhappy
8:35 pm
with my lawyer dowd, et cetera, et cetera and dowd is pushed out within a week or two thereafter. so no, i don't have any confidence. the president was reportedly prepared to fire mueller before, and i think congress is completely abdicating its responsibility by not taking up bipartisan led bipartisan legislation to protect mueller. >> what do you think about that? >> look it's certainly possible. none of us know what michael cohen has in his possession or what was obtained in those searches. but he is the fixer. he's likely to know a lot of what concerns the president, and it certainly would account a lot
8:36 pm
of the actions from the president to these searches. i will say this, that it's an extraordinary step to do a search of a lawyer's residence, of his office let alone his hotel. and i'm confident that the department of justice would have dotted every i and crossed ever t. this wasn't just any lawyer. this was the president's lawyer, and they would have known the sensitivity of this. >> the president claims his administration had turned over 1.4 million documents to the special counsel. does that number seem right to you? how many of those documents did you have access to on the house intelligence committee, and is that number right? >> i don't know if that number is right. and of course it's not the volume of documents that you produce. it's whether you're producing the documents that are subpoenaed, are requested, the documents that are most important to the committee or the special counsel. in this case, when we wanted to
8:37 pm
subpoena the administration, the administration was unwilling to do it. they wanted any documents or tapes he had with james comey and twice the white house refused. and the second time we asked we said, hey, if you don't give us an answer we'll have to consider excelling you with a subpoena, and they didn't respond. and this was true with witness after witness and document after document request. >> so the president's pardon of scooter libby has new legislation. >> it says in an event the president pardons anyone in an investigation with the president is a witness or target, those investigative files will be turned over to the congress. the congress ought to know whether the president is using the pardon power to obstruct justice. the americn people have a right
8:38 pm
to know. i think it's cleary constitutional am. it doesn't prohibit him from granting a pardon, but it does say we should be able to find out whether the president is using this power to shield himself from liability. >> it offers transparency at the very least. thank you, congressman, i appreciate your time. james comey sits down with jake tapper live on the lead tomorrow at 4:00 p.m. eastern. and when we come back the president blasting what he calls breeding in sanctuary cities. does he know how offensive that is?
8:39 pm
accused of obstructing justice to theat the fbinuclear war, and of violating the constitution by taking money from foreign governments and threatening to shut down news organizations that report the truth. if that isn't a case for impeaching and removing a dangerous president, then what has our government become? i'm tom steyer, and like you, i'm a citizen who knows it's up to us to do something. it's why i'm funding this effort to raise our voices together and demand that elected officials take a stand on impeachment. a republican congress once impeached a president for far less. yet today people in congress and his own administration know that this president is a clear and present danger
8:40 pm
who's mentally unstable and armed with nuclear weapons. and they do nothing. join us and tell your member of congress that they have a moral responsibility to stop doing what's political and start doing what's right. our country depends on it. my secret visitors. hallucinations and delusions. the unknown parts of living with parkinson's. what plots they unfold, but only in my mind. over 50% of people with parkinson's will experience hallucinations or delusions during the course of their disease. if your loved one is experiencing these symptoms, talk to your parkinson's specialist. there are treatment options that can help.
8:41 pm
my visitors should be the ones i want to see.
8:42 pm
president trump tweeted something today that has a lot of people up in arms. i know what are the odds, right?? the president lashing out at california jerry brown saying there is a revolution going on in california, so many sanctuary areas want out of this ridiculous crime infested and breeding concept. jerry brown is trying to back out of national guard, want
8:43 pm
security and safety now. breeding. maria, what do you think the president means when he says the word breeding or breeding concept? >> we know what he means. and i think he knows exactly what he's saying. when he talks about breeding and sanctuary cities we know he's talking about immigrants, and we know that it's not just a loaded word, it's a racist word. and he's using it to rile up his anti-immigrant base who he knows this is political crack for, and this is something that he does when he knows that he is in political trouble. he's still not been able to get out of the very low points that he is in terms of his ratings and going into the mid-term elections he does know he's in political trouble especially in
8:44 pm
places like california. everybody keeps talking about a big blue wave that's coming. and the only thing he does when he's up against a politial wall like that is that he uses -- it's not even a dog whistle at this point. it's a megaphone. >> so terra, breeding is a term we hear referred to usually horses or dogs or animals, right, so what do you think of him using that term to describe migrants coming to america? >> yeah, i agree with maria on that aspect, that the term na g terminology is so inappropriate. across california like $24 billion a year. one in eight children in school in california is either has at least one illegal immigrant parent. i mean it's a problem.
8:45 pm
it's a legitimate policy problem. but when president trump uses loaded terms like that, it totally shuts down the discussion. i mean, you know, i find the breeding comment so derogatory, even though there is a valid policy debate concerning birth tourism. it happens with chinese immigrants that pay between $80,000 and $40,000, almost a high tech way of bringing immigrants in, which is illegal. they come here to have babies and when they have kids here they can stay. to finish that point it's important for people to know what's happening in california, and that's happening with chinese immigrants has been going on for a long time. >> i know. but i've got to get scott in. >> and it's also happening with russians. >> scott, sitting by patiently. i want to get your response.
8:46 pm
homeland secretary kirsten nielsen was asked about the tweet today. can you go on? >> well, i actually stared at this tweet for a long time today because i didn't quite understand the syntax. i looked at it for a long time, and then later tonight i think i know what he was trying to say. >> you're going to be the trump wisperrer, the tweet whisperer. >> i think what he was saying are sanctuary cities are crime infested and that they breed crime. i think that's what he was trying to say. i don't speak to the president about his tweets, of course, but to me i think people are jumping on the term. but i believe looking at the syntax i believe that's what he was trying to say. and i think that's what the point he was making. >> i appreciate you're saying that, why not just say that, though, scott? >> i think he did. i think if you look at the syntax of a lot of things he says both out loud and on twitter sometimes it doesn't come out the way you or i would
8:47 pm
say it out loud, but if were to say crime infested and breeding concept, i think if you take out the infested i think he was saying sanctuary cities is a breeding concept. >> stand by. we'll get to that after the break. we've got more the discuss. we'll be right back. ♪ with t-mobile, get the fastest network ever, now on the fasters samsung ever. because fast should be fast. ♪ now at t-mobile, buy one samsung galaxy s9 and get one free. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens ♪
8:48 pm
♪ bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens ♪ ♪ brown paper packages tied up with strings ♪ ♪ these are a few of my favorite things ♪ ♪ ♪ why people everywhere are upgrading their water filter to zerowater. start with water that has a lot of dissolved solids. pour it through brita's two-stage filter. dissolved solids remain? what if we filter it over and over? (sighing) oh dear. thank goodness zerowater's five-stage filter gets to all zeroes the first time. so, maybe it's time to upgrade. get more out of your water. get zerowater.
8:49 pm
searching for answers may feel overwhelming. so start your search with our teams of specialists at cancer treatment centers of america. the evolution of cancer care is here. learn more at cancercenter.com/experts if yorheumatoid arthritisevere and you're talking to your rheumatologist about a medication,
8:50 pm
this is humira. this is humira helping to relieve my pain and protect my joints from further irreversible damage. this is humira helping me reach for more. humira has been clinically studied for over 20 years. humira works for many adults. it targets and blocks a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. talk to your doctor and visit humira.com. this is humira at work.
8:51 pm
we are back, sean hannity is the unofficial chief of staff for president trump. back with our hosts, cardona and scott jenkins. >> i want you to take a listen to see if you can spot a pattern here. >> the reason why democrats only talk about the totally made up russia story is they have no message. no agenda. >> this is more proof, the democratic party is disarray. >> they have no agenda.
8:52 pm
>> do you want to know the truth? i think it is a disgrace. >> the highly classified memo has been released and it is shocking. it is stunning. >> a lot of people should be ashamed of themselves. >> a lot of people broke the law. >> it is more than a shame. it is so deep in its corruption. >> they coordinate in their talking point. >> no, it is a coincidence. >> they clearly talk all the time. if we know one thing of the president's core operating philosophy is it revolves around communication. he used sean hannity as the best person to speak. i am not surprised they feed off each other when it come to messages that the president thinks it delivered him to the white house. i read the story and none of it
8:53 pm
surprise me. if anybody is paying attention to the president and fox news feeding off each other. none of this should come as a surprise. >> thank you, sco scott, i appre your honesty. >> do you think this situation is unique to donald trump, have they coordinated with close figures in the media. >> well, i think trump does it in a way that a lot more inu yor face than other presidents have done it. when i read the story, i think not so much chief of staff is what sean hannity is doing. there is a reason why donald trump has not filled the role of director of communications. >> he's the director of communications, oh my god! >> great mind. >> exactly, that's what sean hannity is. he's a spokesperson for the president and he comes off as a talking point or he coordinates with the president.
8:54 pm
he has the biggest megaphone and maybe bigger than the white house podium itself in terms of getting the audience that he want to get to and interested in getting to. it shows hannity and it has worked well for him. >> terra, not much time, go on. >> is it dangerous to have one o f the most watched cable network in the country especially being an extension of the president's team. >> for this administration, sure, what they are doing over there, they turned it into a state propaganda channel. we went after msnbc for being left wing and pro-obama. now it is okay, sean hannity is the highest paid employee, he makes $29 million a year at fox. >> he's saying thing that is are not true or unfactual. that's the part that i have a problem with. if it was about policies and
8:55 pm
quoting and set the record straight, it is fine. every night it is a conspiracy of hillary clinton and something else and not holding trump accountable for what's going on. no wonder fox news got rid of what they have. there is no way they can live up to it of what sean hannity does every night. >> that was something to by pass and so did george bush to by pass and bias and mainstream media and they would do local news and obama would do this same. this takes that to a whole new level. >> scott, i got 30 seconds left. >> hannity keeps him connected to his base, do you agree with that? >> if you look at sean hannity's ratings and republicans and conservatives, he's probably one of the people's most uniquely qualified to keep the president connected to his base.
8:56 pm
trump's voters watch hannity's base. >> hannity is speaking up for the president then he knows that his basis going to stay with him. >> they share talking points and now we know they share a lawyer. >> maria. >> shathat's shady. >> it is true though. >> oh god, i was going to say that. >> i like it! >> mar >> maria. >> i where ever you are going tonight, have fun for all of us. that's it for us, see you back here tomorrow. so what's new? they've been saving folks money for over 75 years. a company you can trust. geico even helped us with homeowners insurance. more sounds great. gotta love more...
8:57 pm
right, honey? yeah! geico. expect great savings and a whole lot more. which is why i use armor tall ultra shine wash wipes.y. they effectively remove dirt, dust and grime with no water. that car is in tip top shape! we are both in tip top shape! armor all, it's easy to look good. (keybdear freshpet, i was in the air force and got seriously hurt. it was the worst time in my life... until i met tank. you really could say hes a rescue dog. so when he got heavy and his energy slumped, it was my turn to be there for him. thats when i found freshpet. he seemed to love it! and sure enough he got down to his ideal weight. freshpet put the puppy back in my dog and gave me back my best friend.
8:58 pm
8:59 pm
9:00 pm
internet providers promise business owners a lot. let's see who delivers more. comcast business offers fast gig-speeds across our network. at&t doesn't. we offer more complete reliability with up to 8 hours of 4g wireless network backup. at&t, no way. we offer 35 voice features and solutions that grow with your business. at&t, not so much. we give you 75 mbps for $59.95. that's more speed than at&t's comparable bundle, for less. call today. good evening, thank you for joining us, we begin with breaking news tonight. new comments from the president, when asked if he's going the fire mueller or

96 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on