Skip to main content

tv   Don Lemon Tonight  CNN  August 11, 2021 11:00pm-12:00am PDT

11:00 pm
you can watch "we love new york city the homecoming concert" saturday, august 21st, exclusively on cnn. the news continues. want to turn things over to don for "don lemon tonight." hello, everyone. thanks for joining us. this is "don lemon tonight." and i've got to get right into this. okay? and i want you to really pay attention to this because it's -- you have to see what's happening around the country. chaos. what is going on with a lot of americans when it comes to wearing masks to stem the spread of covid, especially mask mandates for children who are heading back to school? it's turning so many people into angry lunatics, quite frankly. last night, the williamston county school -- school board voted to -- in favor of having children in their elementary schools wear masks. okay? and after the meeting, one man who spoke out in favor of the mandate was verbally assaulted in the parking lot. police officers had to make sure that he got to his car safely. i want you to take a look at the verbal abuse heaped on that man. here it is.
11:01 pm
>> you are a child abuser! there's a place for you guys, there's a place in hell and everybody's taking notes, buddy. >> put it back on. >> put that mask back on. >> put your mask on. >> how you like that? huh? we know who you are. we know who you are. no more masks. >> keep it calm. keep it calm. we're on these guys' side. they're on our side. >> no, no, they're not. they're not on our side. >> the police are on our side. the police are on our side. let's calm down. calm down. we know who you are. we know who you are. you can leave, freely, but we will find you and we know who you are. we know who you are. >> you will never be allowed in public, again. >> i know who you are. let him out. let's let him out.
11:02 pm
>> you better watch out. you better watch out. you better watch out. >> keep it calm. everybody, back up, please. everybody, back up. back up. back up. >> i'm back, man. i'm on the side. i'm a parent. >> everyone, peace. peace. we know who you are. >> [ bleep ] you. >> what is happening to us? parents. is that the example you want to set for children, whether you agree with mask mandates or not? i don't -- people always like this? i don't -- my parents never acted like this. and none of the parents in my schools.
11:03 pm
growing up ever acted like that. i don't know what's going on. it's horrifying. it's chilling. you can't watch that, and not be embarrassed for those people. and feel sorry for the man. it's just plain wrong, that americans are threatening another american, who simply wants to protect children while they're in school. he told us that a child in his kid's 6th grade class tested positive for covid just today. and i get that no one wants to wear a mask. i get it. and i get that a lot of parents don't want their kids to have to wear one while they are in school. okay? but if it's going to protect children from getting infected, isn't that what matters most or what should matter most? look at this map right here. shouldn't we all -- aren't we all in this, together? the numbers are getting worse. the map shows most of the country is red. average number of daily cases across the country, now, at around 116,000. in the past week, 94,000
11:04 pm
children were diagnosed with covid. and because of the surging-delta variant, the cdc now projects the death toll in the u.s. from the virus could reach upwards of 660,000, by the first week in september. but one woman at the tennessee school-board meeting, so angry about the mask mandate, she is threatening to sue, now. >> also, i'll see you all in court. my child will not be wearing a mask. >> in the face of all this anger, there are some, brave people trying to get through with the facts. and i -- i just want you to hear what a respiratory therapist with two decades of experience who works with covid cases, and is also a parent, told the tennessee meeting.
11:05 pm
>> you're looking at someone who is exhausted, frustrated, and feeling helpless, at this point. we know this delta variant affects the kids, and it's at an all-time high. some of these babies can't be vaccinated. imagine what's going to happen in the next few weeks. right now, over 120,000 americans have been infected with covid, in one day. kids included. our local children's hospital is on diversion right now. we're just within our first week of school. yes, no more masks sounds good, until it affects your family, personally. it's our duty to protect our children, and we don't have time to wait for others to get vaccinated. but what we can do, right now, is agree that masks will slow the spread. it's our best defense we have to keep some type of normalcy within our community. so let's link arms, protect our children, during these unprecedented times while we have the chance. >> clarita perkens will be joining me shortly on this program, along with the pediatrician who, also, spoke in favor of masks for kids at last
11:06 pm
night's meeting. unfortunately, though, the issue of masks, especially for school children, is so politicized, as i have been talking about every night on this program. two republican governors, ron desantis in florida, greg abbott in texas, standing out in front of everyone and making the issue all about politics. trying to advance their own, political futures. desantis and abbott moving to -- to punish local school district officials who are defying them, and putting mask mandates in place. today, it's even spilling into arizona where gop state lawmakers are calling on the republican governor to withhold public funds from school systems that require masks for students and teachers. but it's not only politicians politicizing covid. a white house reporter for the fox-propaganda network trying to trip up the press secretary, jen psaki, today on the question of vaccine hesitancy. which, at this point, is vaccine refusal. let's just make it plain. vaccine refusal. and trying to blame the president of the united states. watch this. >> at the time, when donald
11:07 pm
trump is out there saying we're going to have a vaccine in the next couple weeks, next couple months. and joe biden is out on the campaign trail saying don't trust donald trump. did that create any kind of vaccine hesitancy? >> not that we've seen in the data. i would note that, at the time, just for context, the former president was, also, asking people inject versions of poison into their veins to cure covid. so i think that's a relevant point. >> as if we could ever forget that crazy advice given by the one-term, twice-impeached, former occupant of the oval office. >> i said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do, either through the skin or in some other way. and i think you said you're going to test that, too. sounds interesting. >> we'll get the right folks who could. >> right. and then, i see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. one minute. and is there a way we can do something like that? by injection inside or -- or
11:08 pm
almost a cleaning because, you see, it gets in the lungs. >> remember that? how soon some people forget. tonight, we are also learning more details about the extent of trump's attempted coup. the former-u.s. attorney in atlanta, bj pak, saying that he abruptly quit during trump's move to overturn the election results because he heard trump was going to fire him, anyway. that he apparently believed pak was a so-called never-trumper. a source saying that pak told senate investigators today that he left his job, as trump was pressuring the justice department to play a role in his scheme to claim massive fraud in the election results in georgia. quitting two days after this infamous phone call from trump to georgia's secretary of state, brad raffensperger. >> so, look. all i want to do is this. i just want to find -- uh -- 11,780 votes, which is one more
11:09 pm
than we have, because we won the state. >> again, how soon some might forget that. we know he didn't win georgia. and got no help in his fraudulent scheme from brad raffensperger and the truth is coming out. the facts can be twisted, but they can't be denied. opponents of mask mandates in one tennessee school district showing their rage. up next, two medical professionals who attended the school-board meeting talk about their experience. >> we know who you are. >> we know who you are. >> you can leave, freely, but we will find you and we know who you are. >> you will never be allowed in public, again.
11:10 pm
(vo) how do you know when you've found your team? they all might look a little different. they might find each other for different reasons. maybe you're trying something new, or you've done this before. whether you're winning, or just doing your best. when you're on the lanes, they're right behind you. reunite with your team. go bowling.
11:11 pm
[sfx: radio being tuned] welcome to allstate. ♪ [band plays] ♪ a place where everyone lives life well-protected. ♪ and even when things go a bit wrong, we've got your back. here, things work the way you wish they would. and better protection costs a whole lot less. you're in good hands with allstate. click or call for a lower auto rate today.
11:12 pm
(struggling vehicle sounds) think premium can't be capable? think again. ♪ (energetic music) ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ introducing the first ever at4 lineup. premium and capable. that's professional grade from gmc.
11:13 pm
the science is crystal clear. masks protect us from the deadly virus surging in this country. so, why are these face coverings the source of so much rage? here's what happened at a school-board meeting in tennessee over debate on whether children in elementary schools should have to wear masks. >> no more masks! no more masks! no more masks!
11:14 pm
no more masks! no more masks! no more masks! no more masks! no more masks! >> the school board ultimately voted in favor of masks and things got even uglier. so joining me now, two parents who were at the meeting, and were harassed for advocating for masks in the classroom. dr. james keffer, he is a pediatrician. and clarita perkins, she is a respiratory therapist. thank you, thank you, thank you so much for joining us. it is a really important issue, my two great nephews just went back to school today. and i am praying they are going to be okay in the classrooms. that's as close as i get to having children, at this point. so, um, everyone is concerned about -- about the little ones. so clarita, things got very heated at that school-board meeting and we heard you pleading to help keep children safe. what were you feeling, as you spoke there? and then, saw all of this blow up? >> i felt hurt.
11:15 pm
i felt disrespected. i felt disregarded, as a healthcare advocate for our community. um, it was a big blow, you know, i -- i put 110% in -- into my community. we don't know who comes through these doors, but we take care -- i -- i, personally, try to take care of these patients, like my own family members. and um, they have -- last year, they had the mask mandate. and this year, they have lifted it. and i just want to know that, when i go into the hospital, while i'm taking care of the community, i want someone to advocate and take care of my child. and the vaccine -- um -- is only available for 12 years and up. i have a 13-year-old. i have a 10-year-old. and i want to know that i can let my guard down, when i come home. you know?
11:16 pm
so, i know that the numbers -- um -- are proof. i know that masks help. they're not 100%. i know vaccines are not 100%. but they help. when this pandemic, first, started, what did we do? we trusted the mask -- i mean, the medical experts. and they were able to help us get to the point of lifting the mask mandate. but when you lift of the mask mandate and you have low vaccinations, what's happening now? the numbers are climbing back up. as of last week, our local children's hospital was on diversion and school had not even started, yet. when i dropped my kids off, there was about 5% of students wearing masks. during this whole pandemic, for the 19 months that we've been dealing with it in the hospital, in the icu, we have never had the chance to not wear masks.
11:17 pm
we've never been able to lift our masks. we have gotten used to seeing our co-workers from just this. we never stopped wearing the masks, and we have to be a advocate for our patients. um, we are fine. we've never got pneumonia. we've never got any skin infections and we wear our mask longer than anybody else. >> uh-huh. yeah. >> for 13 hours a day. and only time we get to let up is for lunchtime. >> yeah. and that should be an example for -- for the folks who are out there. because parents do set the example for kids. if they tell their kids it's okay to wear masks and they teach them it's okay, the kids will be okay with it. if they say that they're bad -- >> resilient. >> yeah, exactly. dr. kiefer, you also spoke in favor of wearing masks and you were heckled. i want to listen to this, and then i will talk to you. >> what we've seen in the last year is some kids getting sick with covid. most of them do really well. but some of those kids having some long-term issues with their hearts.
11:18 pm
what i have not seen is any kids coming in with my asthma is acting up because i have to wear a mask at school or i have a skin infection because i'm wearing the mask at school. >> please, continue. >> thank you. we would love it, if there was a way -- another way out of this pandemic. but what we have right now is a way to vaccinate our students and our public. and we can wear masks, until all that -- we can wear masks, until all of that happens. >> i should say dr. keffer. pardon me. so, doctor, you had really good information there. people just didn't want to hear that. can you -- can you make any sense of that, as a doctor who happens to be a parent? >> yeah. you know, it's -- it's challenging, don. i've been taking care of children for the last 20 years. and um, there -- it's hard for the lay public to really understand everything about different medical conditions. um, in the same way you never want to ask me about your 401(k) because i just don't know anything about it.
11:19 pm
um, but what i have seen, over this last year, is children go from not being able to wear a mask and keep one on, to them being able to keep a mask on, even children as young as 2. um so, i'm not surprised at it because i have seen disinformation, you know, all the way about vaccines to, you know, wearing helmets to c car seats. but i've not seen the amount of -- um -- what seems to be just woeful, you know, willful, you know, disregard for people who really know just a whole lot. people who know a whole lot more than i do about how infectious disease spread and for a hundred years, we have been wearing masks to prevent us from infecting our patients. um, if you ever have to have surgery done, someone's going to wear a mask so they don't infect you while you're opened up. if i am ever treated for cancer and -- and my immune system is down because the chemotherapy,
11:20 pm
my healthcare team is going to wear a mask to help me not get sick. this is not new information. um, i see about -- every month, i see four to five -- 4 to 600 different individual patient visits. i have been doing this for the last 13 years in my practice here in the community, in nashville. and during this ralast year, i have not seen children come in with i have an infection because of a face mask. um, and you know, the people who were there seem to be indicating that the masks were dirty and they are going to make you sick. well, i can tell you, when children wear masks regularly, we do not see you because you're sick. >> yeah. it -- it's -- you wouldn't say willful ignorance but i will say it's willful ignorance. you said willful disregard but same thing. they are being -- they're willfully being ignorant of this because they don't want to learn. they are defying what the science and what logic says. clarita, look. i want to play, again, some of what we saw outside of that school-board meeting, as people were trying to leave. these anti-maskers harassing another person, who spoke in
11:21 pm
favor of masks. here it is. >> poor kids stuck in that bacteria. huh? we know who you are. we know who you are. no more masks! >> keep it calm. keep it calm. >> no more masks. >> we're on these guys' side. they're on our side. >> no, they're not. they're not on our side. >> the police are on our side. the police are on our side. let's calm down. calm down. we know who you are. >> we know who you are. we know who you are. >> you can leave freely but we will find you and we know who you are. >> you will never be allowed in public, again. you will never be allowed -- never be allowed in public, again. >> i know who you are. let him out. let's let him out. >> i -- wow. so, to hear people yell, we know who you are, we will find you. i mean, that's scary. why are people so angry, particularly these anti-maskers? what are they so mad about? >> i think they're afraid of another shutdown. i think they have been so
11:22 pm
enclosed with not being normal, that the potential of someone controlling their life. they are stressed out. you know? and they're lashing out. and we are simply -- we don't want to wear the masks, either. we are simply trying to be an advocate. we are seeing these covid patients, while they go to work and live their everyday lives. we are just trying to be a advocate for our community. that is it. you know? we, right now, as of today, we are opening up our fifth covid unit. as of a couple of hours ago. i just got off from work today, and we're starting to open up our fifth covid unit. our er is full, right now, waiting for beds. we are a high acuity of care hospital and a lot of community hospitals depend on us to take their most sickest patients.
11:23 pm
this virus does not have a respect of person. we know the delta variant is affecting the younger children, as well as the younger generation. 98% of our patients, right now, are unvaccinated. 98%. >> wow. >> so, it -- you know, when we were at the board meeting, the -- the superintendent even said that the numbers were astonishing. and that was day three. the -- the day of the board meeting, that was the third day of school and the numbers had jumped, from friday, to that tuesday. so, if we don't wear a mask right now, what do you think is gonna happen? why -- why should we have to wait until we have a shutdown? >> well -- >> i want to see football games and cheer -- cheerleading and plays. i want to see that. i don't want to see the kids at home. the kids learn better at school.
11:24 pm
so, we cannot -- we can't do it by ourselves. we need the community to help us. >> understood. and i -- >> if we don't do it together, we won't get anywhere. >> understood. i just want to put the -- the numbers up because you talked about it. and -- and dr. keffer, i am going to ask you the question because according to this county school board superintendent, which she just mentioned, he said elementary level nurses reported 25 positive cases since friday. he says an increase at the start of the school, compared to last year. um, so that's why the -- the schools wanted a mandate. do you feel like your kids are safe, now, with the way things are? >> you know, i'm very fortunate, don. my children are all over 12. so they have all been vaccinated. um, i informed my son, who's starting his -- his -- finishing up high school -- that even though he'd been -- um -- vaccinated, that i still wanted him to wear a mask while he was there because if he's one of those people who, maybe, didn't
11:25 pm
respond to the vaccine to develop -- to develop immunity. i want him to be protected. and if he is one of those people, who's not feeling supersick but maybe is infected and could spread it, i don't want him to spread it to someone else. fortunately, he and his siblings have had jobs that they have had to wear a mask every day at work for six-to-ten hours since march of 2020. so, because we've coached them up, their work has coached them up. last year, the school helped coach them up. it's not a big deal to them. >> yeah. well, thank you, doctor. clarita, i really appreciate your passion, too. and look, you know, with children, you can do a mask challenge. who's got the coolest mask? who's got the cutest mask? you know, make your own. hand paint your mask. i mean, all kinds of things to get them to appreciate wearing the mask, instead of saying it's all bad! and not even looking at the science. right? >> don, it's very much like when we have a child come in who
11:26 pm
needs to have [ inaudible ]. the parent's like, this is gonna hurt. that child's going to be scared. but when the parent's like, hey, find the potatoes in there. the child's like, oh, this is fun. >> right. yeah. >> we can coach our kids up. >> there you go. again, parents set the example. just because you can have kids doesn't mean you should. thank you, very much. i appreciate it. see you, both. be safe. thank you. >> thank you. >> take care. >> you, too. he thought trump was about to fire him so he quit. a former-u.s. attorney testifying. this all went down because he wouldn't lie about the election. stay with us. so that you can lie that scuff-free life. honey, i'm home! honey! scuff defense. i love our scuff-free life. behr ultra scuff defense. exclusively at the home depot.
11:27 pm
[♪] looking to repair dry, damaged hair without weighing it down? try pantene daily moisture renewal conditioner. its color-safe formula uses smart conditioners to micro-target damage helping to repair hair without weighing it down. try pantene. mission control, we are go for launch. um, she's eating the rocket. ♪ lunchables! built to be eaten. (man) i've made progress with my mental health. so when i started having unintentional body movements called tardive dyskinesia... ... i ignored them. but when the movements in my hands and feet started throwing me off at work... i finally had to say, 'it's not ok.' it was time to talk to my doctor about austedo. she said that austedo helps reduce td movements in adults... ...while i continue with most of my mental health medications. (vo) austedo can cause depression, suicidal thoughts, or actions in patients with huntington's disease. pay close attention to and call your doctor if you become
11:28 pm
depressed, have sudden changes in mood, behaviors, feelings, or have suicidal thoughts. common side effects include inflammation of the nose and throat, insomnia and sleepiness. don't take austedo if you have liver problems, are taking reserpine, tetrabenazine, or valbenazine. austedo may cause irregular or fast heartbeat, restlessness, movements mimicking parkinson's disease, fever, stiff muscles, problems thinking, and sweating. (man) talk to your doctor about austedo... it's time to treat td. td is not ok. visit askforaustedo.com
11:29 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ hey google, turn up the heat. ♪ ♪ ♪
11:30 pm
comcast nbcuniversal is investing in entrepreneurs to bring what's next for sports technology to athletes, teams, and fans. that's why we created the sportstech accelerator, to invest in and develop the next generation of technology that will change the way we experience sports. we've already invested in entrepreneurs like ane swim, who develops products that provide hair protection so that everyone can enjoy the freedom of swimming. like the athletes competing in tokyo, these entrepreneurs have a fierce work ethic and drive to achieve - to change the game and inspire the team of tomorrow.
11:31 pm
so we are getting some new information tonight about just how far the former president was willing to go to overturn the election. former-u.s. attorney in atlanta, bj pak, telling senate investigators he resigned in january because trump was considering firing him. according to "the new york times," trump wanted pak out because he wouldn't push bogus claims of election fraud in georgia. joining me, now, cnn political commentator, charlie dent. he is a former-republican congressman and former-deputy assistant attorney general, harry litman. good evening, to both of you. harry, i'm going to start with you. so, u.s. attorney pak says that he quit because the former president was considering firing him for not getting behind this election-fraud lies. according to "the new york times." it was suspicious, at the time. was that part of the attempted coup? >> i think so. i mean, he was really focused on
11:32 pm
georgia, at the time. he, in just two days from there, will be calling raffensperger and saying i just need those 1,100 votes. and he was totally apoplectic that his u.s. attorney wouldn't go along with the lie. so even though donoghue, at justice, knew it was a lie. they called pak up and said the president's gonna fire you. and pak thought, i'm gonna resign with dignity. nobody will know about it, then. but now that he's talking to the judiciary committee, they do know exactly why it happened, because the president was fixing to fire him. and why? because he wouldn't support the lie of election fraud in georgia, which he investigated and found no evidence of. >> yeah. we can hear you, very well. we can't see you well, so we are going to stick with it because what we need most is the information that you'll provide, harry. you point out that a president can fire u.s. attorney for any reason or no reason, at all. but what about a refusal to lie about an election? this is for harry.
11:33 pm
>> yeah. so -- so, thanks for that. you know, i was a u.s. attorney, and i got the sack, eventually. and really, in -- you know, he's not going to try to challenge it. but theoretically, don, you couldn't fire him because you didn't like his race and these are -- this is protected speech. you say to him, unless you -- because you won't lie about this, i'm gonna fire you. i think it's a technical-constitutional violation. but it doesn't really matter. he resigned before it could happen. and we know that he decided to just act with dignity, rather than go along in any way. nevertheless, what trump was contemplating, i think, was probably unconstitutional. >> charlie, if what pak is telling this committee is true, you think this is going to become part of the january-6th investigation? >> well, i certainly hope it does because it -- it really lays down the predicate of what happened. you know, before january 6th with the president insisted on pushing this false narrative.
11:34 pm
and the fact that he would pressure, and try to bully and intimidate department of justice officials from jeffrey rosen, down to mr. pak, to the secretary of state of the state of georgia. to me, it's -- it's simply so -- it -- it's beyond stunning. i -- i keep coming back to the fact that, if -- if any, other elected official had picked up the phone and had a conversation with brad raffensperger, like the president did. and it were publicly revealed. i would have to think that that -- that elected official would be prosecuted by state officials and, perhaps, federal officials. i mean, it is just so stunning, to me, that this could happen in america. that a president could use his office to try to really manipulate the justice department. thank goodness, we have people like mr. pak and -- and others who, you know, held their ground and did their duty and -- and -- and that these institutions, they prevailed. >> charlie, i'm just wondering if -- if any of this is going to make a difference with anything? senate judiciary chairman dig
11:35 pm
durban wants to interview trump's former chief of staff, mark meadows. what do you think? you think it'll happen? >> well, i think, look. i know mark meadows, i served with him. but mark meadows has -- he has -- has to answer questions. you know, he was -- he was in the white house, at the time. you know, based on a lot of reports, he seemed to be aiding and abetting mr. trump. former-president trump in his attempt to, you know, to try to -- try to change the -- the election outcome. so, i -- i think it's fair game that mr. meadows and others in that white house answer questions about their role leading up to insurrection day. and not only just -- not just what happened on that day, what happened prior to election day. and this is one of those, i think, seminal moments that we need -- we need some answers, we need some clarity. the american public deserves to know. >> charlie, thank you. harry, thank you very much. next, we hope we can get tou a studio next time. we know you had some issues but you came through perfectly clear in your voice. >> very quick point, though. can i make a very quick point?
11:36 pm
>> yes, sir. >> the fulton county d.a. may, yet, prosecute trump. he is considering -- she is considering prosecuting trump for the raffensperger call. so that might happen. >> thank you, very much. see? we got it loud and clear. thank you, harry. thank you, charlie. i will see you, both, soon. so do you need a third shot of a vaccine? some americans could benefit. the fda's expected to make announcement in the next-48 hours. more on that, next. you think you're empty? i'm empty. do you suffer from cartridge conniptions? be conniption-free, thanks to the cartridge-free epson ecotank printer. a ridiculous amount of ink! you're mocking me. not again! the epson ecotank. just fill & chill.
11:37 pm
go with simparica trio it's triple protection made simple! simparica trio is the first and only monthly chewable
11:38 pm
that covers heartworm disease, ticks and fleas, round and hookworms. dogs get triple protection in just one simparica trio! this drug class has been associated with neurologic adverse reactions, including seizures. use with caution in dogs with a history of these disorders. protect him with all your heart. simparica trio.
11:39 pm
comcast nbcuniversal is investing in entrepreneurs to bring what's next for sports technology to athletes, teams, and fans. that's why we created the sportstech accelerator,
11:40 pm
to invest in and develop the next generation of technology that will change the way we experience sports. we've already invested in entrepreneurs like ane swim, who develops products that provide hair protection so that everyone can enjoy the freedom of swimming. like the athletes competing in tokyo, these entrepreneurs have a fierce work ethic and drive to achieve - to change the game and inspire the team of tomorrow. cnn learning the fda is expected to authorize covid-vaccine booster shots for some immuno compromised people within the next 48 hours. that, as a new study suggests the delta variant is hurting vaccine efficacy here in the u.s., although the vaccine's still strongly protect people against severe disease, hospitalization, and death. joining me now, dr. peter hotez, co-director of the texas children's hospital for vaccine development. good to see you, sir. thank you very much.
11:41 pm
um, this preprint study shows that vaccine efficacy is getting worse, in july. got worse in july. moderna's efficacy, by the end of july, had fallen to 76%. pfizer's dropped to 42%. when you see this study, tell me what you think? what stands out to you? >> well, the most important piece of this, don, is the fact that still the protection against hospitalizations and deaths is, still -- is, still, there. so that's the single-most important component and -- and the one to keep in mind. if you actually look at the data, there's -- there is a bit of a dropoff in the last month with the pfizer vaccine. but it's hard to know how statistically relevant that's going to be. what worries me is the fact that, in israel and -- and elsewhere, we are seeing similar things. so it's not just this study. so i think what we're starting to see, now, is decline in -- in preventing asymptomatic transmission.
11:42 pm
and we have three or four studies showing it's going down to 40 to 50%. and -- and that's concerning. the good news is, if you got the pfizer-biontech vaccine, like i did, i feel comfortable that i'm not going to go to the hospital. or -- or the intensive-care unit. but the question's going to be what's the trigger from usfda and cdc to say whom, maybe, we should think about a third immunization. adding to the confusion is the fact that we don't really know if this is waning immunity, declining immunity, or if it's something unique to the delta variant because the two things are happening, at once. and then, finally, there is a lot of data that's out there that's not publicly available. so, i'm pretty confident, all these discussions are going on between the companies and the fda and cdc. so we will see if, tomorrow, when they announce the third immunization for immunocompromised individuals, and we will see which immune-compromised conditions they are looking at beyond solid organ transplant recipients. whether they will give us a hint
11:43 pm
of what's going on with not immunocompromised individuals and whether they are looking at certain age groups, et cetera, to decide to give that third immunization. >> well, you mentioned immunocompromised groups. i am going to play this because a booster announcement for some immunocompromised people is a really big development but i want you to listen to u.s. surgeon general, vivek murthy, what he told cnn tonight. here it is. >> while we think, based on, you know, looking at the trends in the data that it is likely that boosters will be needed for a broader set of the population. what we are trying to figure out, right now, is the right timing for when to initiate those additional doses. and also, who those doses should be available to. based on where the need is greatest. >> so as you have been saying, you say that there is a high likelihood a booster will be necessary for everyone, regardless of health. when do you see that happening? >> well, we've been talking about this for a -- almost the whole year, now. and -- and that's to build in greater resilience to all of the
11:44 pm
variants that are coming in from abroad because we've done a terrible job vaccinating africa, asia, and latin america. but, so, i have been anticipating a booster, a third immunization, for quite some time. what -- what caught us off guard a little bit is when the pfizer ceo put out the press release saying we need to do it now, for delta. and not really providing any of the supporting information. so i think what dr. murthy is saying is we're gonna take this, in stages. we're going to start out, looking at the ones that are most obvious in need of a third immunization. people on immunosuppressive therapy, especially solid-organ transplants. that will be announced probably in the next day or so. maybe, tomorrow. then, we may see, just like they are doing in israel now, a third immunization for older individuals. in the case of israel, they are doing over the age of 60. we'll see if we get any indication from vivek, from dr. murthy or the others that -- that we may need to go to that group, next. it's unclear, how much information they're gonna
11:45 pm
provide tomorrow, though, in terms of when -- when we think we might need this for the general population. >> and let's talk about -- um -- children under 12. the surgeon general says that a vaccine for kids under 12 could be ready before the end of 2021. how does that change the dynamic of this pandemic? and how fast can we get kids -- get enough kids vaccinated? >> well, the reason we need it is really exemplified by what's going on, now. we have got this firestorm raging across the south where seeing lots and lots of young people, including adolescents and kids, going into hospitals including children's hospitals. even pediatric icus. and unfortunately, um, we're -- one of the reasons for that is the low-vaccine uptake, especially among young people. so, having that option to vaccinate younger, school-aged kids, between 5 and 11, would be really great for a lot of parents who really want that comfort level. um, you know, the truth is if -- if we had done, in the south, what's going on in vermont right
11:46 pm
now -- um, where all the adults are vaccinated. all the adolescents are vaccinated, 12 to 17, we would not feel this urgency. but we've got a train wreck going on, in the south, where nobody's vaccinated and schools are about to open. so -- >> some of them are open. >> that's the warmup. this is what i'm worried about. >> i am going to get this next question in before we -- before i lose you here because you told me months ago that we would see a red state/blue state divide over covid. you were just talking about it. sure enough, that's what's happening, especially in florida and texas where the gop governors are going against experts. so, florida has about 6.5% of the u.s. population. but about 20% of the hospitalizations and cases. you know, as i was talking to you on the commercial break about how, you know, coming up for the fall and -- and winter, are we gonna see that it's -- is it going to get worse? how much worse is this going to get, doctor? >> well, that's the big unknown, right? i mean, we know when the schools -- i'm not even thinking about the fall, at this point,
11:47 pm
don. remember, last fall, we started to see this surge up in the mountain west states and in the -- in the upper midwest. so, we're going to likely see that, again, in the mountain-west states where vaccination rates are, also, low. but for now, it's a matter of getting through the next-few weeks, as schools open. you know, everybody stamped their feet and said we have to do in-person classes. and i get that. i mean, i'm the parent of four-adult kids. but when the kids were little, my wife anne and i were, you know, always wanted to see the kids in school. but -- but the problem is everybody stamped their feet and demanded in-person classes but nobody wanted to roll up their sleeves, and do the hard work and put the policies in place in southern states to make it happen. it meant mandating masks. it meant mandating vaccines for everybody 12 and up. and nobody wanted to step forward and -- and do the hard work. and now, i worry, once schools open with this raging epidemic, i mean, this is a screaming-high level of transmission among the highest we've ever seen. and you open up schools, without masks, without vaccines, and
11:48 pm
tell me what's gonna go well here. and so, we're already seeing schools opening up. and then, a week later, so many kids are becoming positive, they're shutting it down. and i think there's a good possibility we're going to see a lot of that happening, in the south, in the next few weeks when schools open early. >> oh, boy. thank you, doctor. i appreciate it. >> thank you. heroes protected the capitol during the january-6th attack, as insurrectionists called them -- take this -- traitors. new video of the insurrection, right after this. there's a world where every one of us is connected. everyone. everywhere. where everyone is included. where everyone has access to information, education, opportunity.
11:49 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ when everyone and everything is connected. that's really beautiful. anything is possible. good morning. cisco. the bridge to possible. welcome to allstate. (phone notification) where we've just lowered our auto rates. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ and savings like that will have you jumping for joy. now, get new lower auto rates with allstate. because better protection costs a whole lot less. you're in good hands with allstate. click or call for a lower auto rate today.
11:50 pm
do you struggle with occasional nerve aches, weakness or discomfort in your hands or feet? introducing nervive nerve relief from the world's number 1 selling nerve care company. as we age, natural changes to our nerves occur which can lead to occasional discomfort. nervive contains b complex vitamins that nourish nerves, build nerve insulation and enhance nerve communication. and, alpha-lipoic acid, which relieves occasional nerve aches, weakness and discomfort. live your life with less nerve discomfort with nervive nerve relief. he used to have gum problems. now, he uses therabreath healthy gums oral rinse with clinically-proven ingredients and his gum problems have vanished. (crowd applauding) therabreath, it's a better mouthwash. at walmart, target and other fine stores.
11:51 pm
mission control, we are go for launch. um, she's eating the rocket. ♪ lunchables! built to be eaten. i know a thing or two about cars. and, sometimes, buying them can make you tight in the chest. but with carvana, i can finally breathe easy, buying my car 100% online without any tense negotiation. smells like the internet. shop now at carvana.com.
11:52 pm
when i'm not racing, i'm personalizing, just like how carvana lets you personalize your financing. you can customize your down payment and monthly payment in a matter of minutes for some truly dazzling results. financing has never felt so fabulous. i've never slept like this before. we gave new zzzquil pure zzzs restorative herbal sleep to people who were tired of being tired. what is even in this? clinically-studied plant based ingredients passion flower, valerian root, and hops. new zzzquil pure zzzs restorative herbal sleep.
11:53 pm
so take this. new video released by the justice department shows officers protecting the capitol and being called traitors by one of the rioters. the officer's body cam footage just another look at the brutal conditions police were up against that day. watch this . >> traitor! >> how dare you! you traitor! how dare you! how dare you, traitors!
11:54 pm
how dare you, traitors! >> while it is unclear who was calling the police traitors, the video was released as evidence in the case against robert geiswine from colorado who has been indicted by a grand jury in d.c. on six counts including using an irritant spray and a baseball bat against u.s. capitol police. i thought they said they weren't armed. some republicans have tried to rewrite the history of that day as some sort of tourist visit or a day filled with hugging and kissing and once again the evidence of what actually happened proves that it was totally not the case. up next, a former u.s. attorney says he quit before trump could fire him and it's all because he wouldn't perpetrate the big lie. stay with us.
11:55 pm
11:56 pm
darrell is the most authentic person i've ever met. we got married this year. we want to have kids. we want to enjoy the rest of our lives together. my primary care was the wish away plan. where anytime i got sick or injured, i would just kind of wish it would go away. now, we definitely needed to have coverage because i need to make sure she's taken care of. my mom helped out by sending me a picture of the healthcare.gov commercial she saw on tv. i went to the website, i started looking for ones that had reasonable deductibles. i found a ton of great quality plans with reasonable rates. you can do it. get health insurance.
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
11:59 pm
damning new information from a former top u.s. prosecutor who says he quit because trump was going to fire him p. "the new york times" reporting the former president wanted him out because he wouldn't back the big lie. plus the fda expected to authorize a vaccine booster shot for some people with compromised immune systems within the next 48 hours. it comes as a pandemic of the unvaccinated is pushing hospitals to their limit. florida reporting a new all-time high for covid hospitalizations, pushing past the peak record by new york, which was hit very hard at the start of this pandemic. so joining me now cnn white house correspondent john harwood, senior political analyst mr. john avlon. gentlemen, good evening. thanks for joining. john harwood, i'll start with you. this information about the former u.s. attorney in atlanta. his name is b.j. pack. shows just how desperate trump was to overturn the election in his final days in office. what can you tell us about this
12:00 am
testimony? >> well, the former u.s. attorney testified to the senate judiciary committee virtually today. this is part of a series of interviews that the committee is doing as members on -- democrats on capitol hill are trying to gather what they can in addition to what the select committee is doing about january 6th. and what they found was that this trump-appointed u.s. attorney was told by justice department officials he would be fired unless he affirmed trump's claims of voter fraud in georgia, which he could not because there was no evidence. and so he resigned without explanation in lieu of being fired. we also know that the replacement that donald trump put in the job, somebody shifted over from the u.s. attorney position in savannah, also found there was no evidence. the picture that's emerging from some of these interviews,

32 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on