Skip to main content

tv   Larry King Live  CNN  November 23, 2009 12:00am-1:00am EST

12:00 am
-- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com >> larry: tonight, dancing with the stars and the big countdown to the moment millions will be waiting for. who will waltz away with a coveted mirror ball? the last contestants standing are here to preview the finale. donny osmond. ♪ kelly osborn. mya. and their partners. consider the odds for and against them. plus, a samba surprise. one of the eliminated couples dances on to the set. judge carrie ann inaba is here with me, tom bergeron, next on "larry king live."
12:01 am
good evening. i'm tom bergeron sitting in for larry king tonight. our topic is one i know well. i've been getting ready for nine weeks to do this show. it's the finale of the ninth season of "dancing with the stars." the result show's tuesday. we'll crown a new winner. with us are the finalists. all-around entertainer, fabulous dancer. i know he's told me himself, he's in vegas, donny osmond. now, donny's sister, marie, finished -- >> how are you, tom? >> i'm good, buddy. marie finished third in season five of "dancing with the stars." he and marie are headlining in vegas at the flamingo. kelly osbourne's here in the studio with me. she's a reality star, singer, and the daughter of ozzie and harriet nelson. mya, grammy-winning, multiple platinum recording artist. she's the founder and executive
12:02 am
director of the mya arts and tech foundation. it's going to be that kind of night. this is fun for me because -- you know, we've gotten to know each other over the past nine or ten weeks. and now i risk alienating the three of you by grilling you on "larry king live." >> can i just say something right now? >> of course. >> being on the show right now, you never really know what's going to happen. that's why i think it's such a popular reality show. because you look at the three finalists. you've got mya, who's the most amazing dancer. and sometimes i wonder who's the professional. because she's so good. you've got kelly osbourne -- >> yeah. >> -- who's like the ultimate cinderella story right now. then you've got the last man standing here. it could go any way right now, any way. >> okay, all right. excuse me, donny, just a note to the producer, we were saving donny kissing up to the other contestants for segment four. we'll just move that up.
12:03 am
let me -- let me just ask you guys. this has been a crazy week for you. between the show monday and tuesday, you're going to have to dance four dances in your quest for the mirror ball trophy. how you holding up, kelly? >> you know, i'm doing surprisingly well. i kind of changed my schedule around a little bit to where i rehearse in the morning and then i have a break and i come back and i rehearse till night. sometimes it goes a little later than midnight and you have to be up and back in the studio at 8:00 in the morning and you get really tired. but it's part of it. it's the excitement. it's the challenge. it's fun. it really is, believe it or not. >> oh, i can see -- i told you on one show when you came over to me, getting ready for the judges, it's fun watching you have fun. and that was true back i think in week three or four. but as you've grown as a dancer, it's been even more fun to watch. >> it's just, you know, i never thought in a million years that i would find myself through dancing.
12:04 am
it just seemed so weird to me because -- i mean, i was such a tomboy. i still kind of am. but it just -- it allowed me to get in touch with a side of myself i never even thought existed. >> that's cool. mya, how you holding up, with this last week of training? >> well, my body's definitely in a lot of pain. and i have tons of bruises on my legs that i am sporting. >> yes? >> and, you know, we are going into overtime at this stage of the competition. overtime, around the clock. >> right. >> even until like 2:00 a.m. the expectation is very high for the finals. and we want to go out on that floor and of course have fun, but we also don't want to look a mess. so we are putting in the work. >> now, donny, you're also doing the vegas show this week on top of getting ready for four dances. how you holding up? >> okay. [ laughter ] >> tom: that's kind of creepy, buddy. >> well, i got to tell you, it is -- it has been a huge challenge. just like they were saying, we
12:05 am
got four dances this week. and four shows a week on top of that here in vegas with marie. >> right. >> but, like kelly said, you know, we are having a good time. it's a dance show. we are really enjoying this process. our bodies ache like crazy. i'm dancing on a broken toe. kelly -- she can barely walk because of the pain in her feet. i mean, every single one of us have aches and pains. but at the end of the day, it's a dance show. and we are enjoying it. >> see, this is why -- >> such a great opportunity. >> hosting is the curbiest gig on this show. let me tell you. we're going to look at everyone's dances from this week. we're going to start with donny and kym. here they are doing the samba. >> can i come in? ah! >> that was very good. i don't know what you're doing with your feet. that was really good. i'm going to go through your legs. then go woo woo and look at my butt.
12:06 am
♪ ♪ choo-choo ♪ woo woo cha boogie ♪ choo-choo choo ♪ take me right back to the track jack ♪ >> donny and kym, you guys certainly know how to work a room. >> somebody can work a room. this is the guy. ♪ well you don't know me ♪ for i never knew >> you can really play it. like watching a lifetime movie. romantic, emotional. drama. oh, take me. >> tom: bruno, bruno, relax, take a chill pill. so later in the show, donny, i want to go back to what also happened this past week, the tango, because i have never seen anybody beat themselves up as much as you did. we're going to get to that a little later on. i couldn't help but notice,
12:07 am
kelly, you brought your pretend dog with you. >> um, you're being inappropriate. no, seriously, it's my dog. >> tom: he's a pomeranian? >> yes, i have such separation anxiety i can't go without him. he cries when i leave him, like, so loud. if i left him in there you'd probably hear him in there. >> tom: sort of like having aaron carter here. >> yes. anyway, it's -- he just sits there and sleeps and hangs out. don't you? >> tom: let me ask you guys about what i think is one of the most pivotal dances of the final week. and it has made some couples champions. it has cost other couples the championship. that's the freestyle dance. mya, what do you guys have up your sleeve for that? >> we are still trying to figure that out at this stage in the competition. >> tom: because it's friday. >> there are four dances to worry about. so we've covered two so far. we're still sort of working on the choreography for the second one.
12:08 am
we haven't gotten to the third, which is our freestyle. >> tom: really? >> yikes. >> tom: are you nervous? >> i'm very nervous at this point. there's so much under our belts to cover. we have -- we want to do a great job. and it's an amazing experience. but this week is unlike any other week in the entire competition. >> tom: how's your freestyle coming along, kelly? >> we finished it last night. it's so -- it's something you would never expect like me and louis to do. but we're kind of -- we're doing something really different. i'm even doing like four lifts in it, which are terrifying me. >> tom: which you can do in the freestyle. >> four lifts going on in it. and it's just, it's very busy, but at the same time, i think it's really important to show off what we have learned during the show. >> tom: great. you saw a bit about donny and his training and his dance. we're going to focus on kelly and mya when "larry king live" returns. i'll apologize to aaron carter. later, our mystery dancers are here. don't go away.
12:09 am
it's not always easy living with copd, but i try not to let it hold me back... whether i'm at the batting cages... down by the lake or... fishing at the shore. i'm breathing better... with spiriva. announcer: spiriva is the only once-daily inhaled maintenance treatment for both forms of copd, which includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. i take it every day. it keeps my airways open... to help me breathe better all day long. and it's not a steroid. announcer: spiriva does not replace fast-acting inhalers for sudden symptoms. stop taking spiriva and call your doctor if your breathing suddenly worsens, your throat or tongue swells, you get hives, or have vision changes or eye pain. tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, problems passing urine or an enlarged prostate, as these may worsen with spiriva. also discuss the medicines you take, even eye drops. side effects may include dry mouth, constipation and trouble passing urine. my doctor said i could be doing more to breathe better and now i am.
12:10 am
announcer: ask your doctor about lifestyle changes and once-daily spiriva.
12:11 am
>> tom: welcome back to "larry king live." i am tom bergeron from "dancing with the stars." let's look at another pair of finalists. here are kelly and louis, this week, not in training, but actually dancing. quickstepping. ♪
12:12 am
♪ ♪ 99 red balloons floating in the summer sky ♪ >> tom: all right. wow. look at you move. and we will show that tape of donny doing the samba a little later on in the show. this was a really important dance for you. >> it was. and i actually hadn't been able to complete the thing from start to finish prior to actually when i was about to dance. and because my feet were so bad, i couldn't walk on them. i actually had to have my feet injected and numbed. and i think the only reason why i was able to keep up with louis is because i kept such a tight close hold with him. i would feel when his feet hit the ground. even when my feet hit the ground, i couldn't feel them. so i didn't know if they did or not. i was just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. ended up being minus one step.
12:13 am
i never thought i could do that, so afterwards i was so excited. >> tom: that was the day we talked i think prior to rehearsal. i could see that you were upset. and i was just saying when you walk into that ballroom, the energy of the audience, they want you all to do well, even if they've shown up -- >> it's the most amazing atmosphere in the world, being in that studio, because you've never been somewhere where everybody wants everyone to do well. it doesn't matter if they're rooting for you or not. >> tom: you feel that as well, mya? >> there's nothing like live performance. you give and you receive. when you're on that dance floor, it's magnetic. it's energetic. it's electric. there's no other feeling like it. >> tom: donny, one of the things i found in all the seasons when your sister was on, really going back to our first season, is that even though you guys were all competing against each other, you form friendships and bonds that outlast any given season. and that's true on this one,
12:14 am
too, isn't it? >> it sounds like a cliche when you say we pretty much have become a family backstage. but it is true. it's more than just a cliche. all 16 couples when we first started, it was a family. and, you know, you've been doing this for a long, long time, tom. when somebody gets kicked off, you get closer and closer to that trophy. it's such a strange juxtaposition because you're losing a friend. and it's going to be nice to have all 16 couples there for the finals. but be standing up there with mya and with kelly and myself, to be honest with you, we're in the finals, all three of us have won. here's the challenge -- we -- each one of us want that trophy so badly. i would love it for mya. i would love it for kelly. i really would like it for myself. but it's a very strange -- like i said juxtaposition to be in because they're my friends. >> tom: yeah. well, you know, it's also been interesting just to watch you
12:15 am
guys blossom to varying degrees on the show. we're going to round out the top three with mya and dmitry. this is from earlier this week, as -- i hope your solo's in this. it was the salsa you soloed in, wasn't it? >> yes. >> oh, man, that was good. watch them do the salsa. ♪ last night i dreamt of san pedro all of nature wild and free all the nature wild and free ♪ ♪ this is where i long to be this is where i long to be tropical the island breeze all of nature wild and free ♪ ♪ this is where i long to be la isla bonita ♪ >> tom: i love the reaction of you. you almost look bashful about your own solo. >> i don't watch these performances afterwards. i go on to the next immediately. i'm not comfortable watching myself. >> tom: really? >> yes.
12:16 am
>> tom: kelly, this was fascinating to me. you completely went up on your solo. you forgot it completely, right? >> i did. it was one of those moments where i swear to god, i was like, please don't start giggling, please don't start laughing. because something happened. like i completely forgot what i was supposed to do. so i just sat there and, like, and like made it up as i went along. somehow ended up working. when i met louis again and i checked, we had this one second of please don't giggle, please don't laugh. we made it work. it ended up being really good. when i watched it back, i was like -- all i was doing was like waving my arms like this. i was thinking it's ridiculous. >> tom: it reminded me -- >> the same thing happened with dmitry and i the first night. i forgot two parts of my salsa. he says, turn, get down. go down. >> it's like instant fear and you feel like an instant failure. i just couldn't help but be like, i cannot believe this is happening. please don't laugh, please don't laugh. you wouldn't -- if you didn't
12:17 am
know the dance prior, you would never know. >> tom: well, good for you. that's the wonder of live tv. carrie ann inaba, who is going to be joining us in a bit, she's written an exclusive blog about dancing and what it means to her. read it only at cnn.com/larryking. carrie ann is here with us. i think she's touting some paddles. been putting our clients first. according to a leading independent research firm, in 2009 clients rated wells fargo advisors the #1 u.s investment firm for doing what's best for them. with advisors nearby and nationwide, we're with you when you need advice and planning expertise to meet today's challenges. wells fargo advisors. together we'll go far. of your business, what do you see? is the glass half-empty or half-full? well, with ups, you could eliminate warehouses. streamline your supply chain, and even reach new global markets.
12:18 am
so your business is more adaptable, more efficient and more profitable. hey, the opportunities are out there. seize them with ups. is anybody else thirsty? >> tom: welcome back to "larry king live." i'm still tom bergeron from "dancing with the stars." the judges are an important part of the show. eh, it's in the prompter, i had to read that. let's take a look at the wild three who rate the fancy footwork. >> last night, excellent jive. and this was as good. >> i'm actually going to disagree with you. i thought this was better than
12:19 am
last night. >> you have to let go, you have to shimmy it up. ♪ funky as i am i think it's going to be really exciting. you're a diamond in the rough. i love that performance. >> dirty little girl! yeah yeah yeah! ♪ i like to move it move it ♪ we like to move it >> top-notch performance. >> tom: very nice, okay. >> mark, the way you flowed from your tricks back into your dancing was effortless. i'm so -- back in top form. you went wrong a couple, four times maybe. maybe five. >> tom: all right. now, joining us in sexy casual wear, is carrie ann. come on over. >> why thank you. >> tom: come on, my dear. how are you? >> i'm fine, how are you? look, it's girls night. >> tom: it feels like we've had a coup of "larry king live." we've kind of all taken over here. we just have to be careful this
12:20 am
doesn't become the same tone as our dress rehearsals which tend to be a little bit spicier. but you're not there for those. >> i'm not included. >> we were talking about how -- because mya asked tom and i what -- do people write your dress rehearsal for you or is that off the cuff? because we sit back there in the red room in dress rehearsal just waiting to see what he's going to say next because everything is just so funny. >> he's crazy. >> tom: see, in the dress rehearsal, when you wait to hear what i'm going to ad-lib in the r-rated version it breaks you up. in the actual show, when you wait to hear what she's going to say, it freaks you out. what do you three regard as your roles? is bruno -- did bruno ever say, okay, i'll be the nutball and len can be the crusty brit and i'll be the lift police. >> crusty? >> he's not so crusty. i sit next to him. there's no crust. >> tom: didn't mean literally. >> no, no, i think bruno just came out like that into the world. the thing with bruno is he
12:21 am
learned english by watching films so he speaks very colorful. remember, english is a second language for him. and then len is just older and has very set ideas of what ballroom is and what it should be. comes from that world. so rightly so should have those ideas. i come from a whole different world. first of all, i'm american. whole different world than the other two. and then my background, i believe that the dance is all about, you know, the hold, not just the technique, not just the performance, but the connection, the excitement. all the things you almost can't quite speak about. >> tom: just so you guys at home know, bruno and len, one of the reasons they're not here now, they're also judging the mothership of "dancing with the stars," which is strictly "come dancing" which is the show in england which birthed all the "dancing with the stars" shows around the world. they have been, all this season, flying to england, judging that show and then coming back and judging ours. >> and they get crankier and crankier. >> tom: they do. which i love. which i love.
12:22 am
wardrobe malfunctions and more still to come. we're just getting warmed up on this special "larry king live" preview of the "dancing with the stars" finale.
12:23 am
12:24 am
>> tom: welcome back to our "dancing with the stars" finale preview. i'm tom bergeron sitting in for larry king. who is getting his suspenders re-aligned tonight. we are joined by our stars' dance partners.
12:25 am
kym johnson is paired with donny. >> hi. >> tom: kym, hi kym, how are you, my dear? >> hello. i'm good, tom, how are you? >> tom: i'm good. now, kym, as you may know, is a former australian amateur ballroom and latin champion. she debuted on "dancing" in season three after winning the australian version of "dancing with the stars." >> yes. >> tom: louis van amstel has been teaching kelly all that she knows. he's an emmy nominee, former u.s. professional latin champion. and seven-time dutch national amateur champion. i'm going to start treating you with more respect. >> thank you. >> tom: and -- wow. and dmitry chaplin has been putting mya through her paces. dmitry transitioned from the competitive reality show "so you think you can dance" to "dancing with the stars" last season and he's twice been nominated for the nobel peace prize. some of this i'm making up.
12:26 am
donny and kym, by the way, have had an incredible run. earlier, we showed you the initial meeting and things like that. here now -- and i'm serious this time -- is a look at donny's samba from earlier this week. ♪ i can tell you're hurt by that look on your face girl ♪ ♪ i could make you happy baby satisfy you too ♪ ♪ one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl ♪ >> tom: now what made this particular dance all the more amazing, donny, was that it came on the heels of a tango that was
12:27 am
an unmitigated disaster for you. i felt so bad for you. what happened on the earlier dance that night? >> i'm going to let kym start this explanation. >> well, yeah, i feel terrible. i got caught in my dress, first of all. i don't even know how it happened. suddenly, my legs were all tangled up in half of my dress it seemed. it just kind of threw us. it was hard to get back on again. >> when you tripped that tripped me. and then i just went off to cleveland at that point. and kym was yelling at me, now, do this step, do this. i have no idea what you're talking about. >> i got -- i just remember getting really hot and flustered, like -- >> i have never seen you like that before. the sweetest lady on the planet says "do this step!" "do that step!" >> i was just trying to get you through it. i could see in your eyes -- >> it was -- -- that you didn't know where you were. >> tom: i could see that. where i was watching, from the row i go to when you guys are dancing, i could see in your face it was a look i hadn't seen
12:28 am
before. >> tom, can you imagine -- >> tom: and you're so hard on yourself. >> well, we worked really, really hard. kym and i -- we all worked so many hours in the studio. we completed a dance. you saw it in the dress rehearsal. it was flawless as far as i was concerned. we did a dance and choreographed a dance that will never be seen. and it was a very important one for me. >> yeah, but you are very hard on yourself. you really beat yourself up. it was horrible after that tango. to come back and do the samba was difficult. >> tom: that was the mark of a pro right there. i think the fact that you -- within minutes you were able to come back. right, carrie ann? >> yeah, that was pretty incredible you came back. you really came back by the third dance i thought. >> tom: oh, really? >> the third dance was amazing. >> the person who got me back on stage was my son. he came backstage, pinned me up against the wall and he said, dad, be the professional that you are, snap out of it, get back out there. he got me back on stage. >> tom: nice, nice.
12:29 am
>> oh, wow. >> tom: that's good to know. you know, "dancing with the stars" has transformed many of our contestants, maybe no one more so than kelly osbourne. we'll look at her incredible journey and i'll still see if that dog's real. to stay in tune with life after 50, i switched to a complete multivitamin with more. only one a day women's 50+ advantage... has gingko for memory and concentration. plus support for bone and breast health. just what i need! one a day women's. tools are uncomplicated. nothing complicated about a pair of 10 inch hose clamp pliers. you know what's complicated? shipping. shipping's complicated. not really. with priority mail flat rate boxes from the postal service shipping's easy. if it fits, it ships anywhere in the country for a low flat rate. that's not complicated. no. come on. how about... a handshake. alright. (announcer) priority mail flat rate boxes only from the postal service. a simpler way to ship.
12:30 am
12:31 am
i'm don lemon here's what's happening right knew. new video in from oakland,
12:32 am
california, showing an all the case between a b.a.r.t. police officer and subway passenger. the suspect is 37-year-old michael joseph gibson, his sister says that he is bipolar and schizophrenic and under a doctor's care. police say he was drunk on the train. he is facing felony charges of battery on a police officer and obstructing and resisting an officer. both were treated for cuts. the officer and the suspect. the officer is on leave unable to perform his duty because of injuries. high winds and record breaking heat are fanning 100 raging wildfires in eastern australia. firefighters are battling the flames and scores of residents have been urged to evacuate. officials don't want a repeat of what happened in february when wildfires killed 173 people in one of australia's worst ever natural disasters. "atlantis" astronaut finished his first space walk and got the news his wife had given birth to a baby girl.
12:33 am
abigail was born saturday night at his father was orbiting 220 miles above earth. mom and baby are both doing fine. if the mission is going according to plan, randy will meet his daughter after thanksgiving. that is something to be thankful for. those are your headlines. i'm don lemon, keeping you informed. >> tom: welcome back. we're previewing the "dancing with the stars" finale here on "larry king live." i'm sitting in for larry. i'm tom bergeron. kelly and louis have bonded over dancing. we'll do a video rewind and see them in action. >> gosh. >> i'm so excited. >> i'm excited. how are you? let's do it. swing. like a beautiful lady. >> you got the wrong partner. ♪ well i've been saved >> the wild child rock princess
12:34 am
transformed. >> can you not make those noises, please? all dancers do it. i will never understand why. ♪ i like peanut butter ♪ i like toast and jam ♪ let's go baby >> i was impressed with myself. ♪ it's time for a holiday >> very well done. >> thank you. >> good performance. you should be happy. >> thank you so much. congratulations, guys. >> tom: what fun. what was that you said to her? that was your what moment? >> beige moment. >> tom: oh, the beige moment. bruno. >> you have no idea what that did to her. >> tom: bruno, just so the folks watching, bruno said that, right? it wasn't a compliment. >> no. >> tom: he said you danced beige. what did he mean? >> boring. >> it was bland. >> i don't think it stood out. it wasn't your fullest potential. it wasn't colorful enough. >> that word to me was like
12:35 am
someone going "you're boring." it literally -- it lit a fire inside me because i was like, i am not boring. and, like -- but it did what it needed to do because i came out the next week and, you know, broke through to the next level where i needed to be to stay in the competition and i'm really lucky because every single week, somehow, i managed to keep learning what i'm doing and -- >> the comments that you guys made this season, both bruno, len and you, carrie ann, they have been so on top. when they were harsh, they were needed. i was laughing when he called her beige. i was like, yes, thank you. >> sometimes people -- we always get booed when we say something negative. often it does help with a breakthrough. you get genuinely angry. or upset. then you're working with real emotion, which takes you to the next level. >> tom: the concern i had watching -- because i -- in all honesty this is no disrespect intended -- i didn't think you'd be here. >> i didn't either. >> tom: at this point. and the reason -- the reason i didn't think you'd be here is i
12:36 am
didn't think you were ever going to get past that little crisis of confidence you were having in the early weeks. and i think you've blown through that admirably. >> it's incredible what this show has done for my confidence. and i think if it wasn't a competition, it wouldn't have done it. i think that that -- the little competitive voice inside your head is, like, you have to keep doing this. you can't give up. this is the only time you get to do this. and, you know, as you get more and more comfortable with what you're doing and every week it's a tiny little bit easier with the nerves, you start to realize what you really are capable of doing. i have little moments of it. >> it's team work as well. you have to be patient as a partner. not push too hard. but also sometimes push harder. >> oh, don't listen to him. >> oh, come on. >> because he's got this whole big thing he does where he gets me to a place where he knows i'm just about to cry and he'll say something to me to make me cry because then it will push me to the place where he needs me to be. >> i don't do that to you -- >> it also lets it out. >> yeah, it does. >> exactly.
12:37 am
>> then what he does, he realizes he made me cry and he'll get super emotional. he's like, i'm sorry. then we both cry. and then it's like -- >> i love this story. >> tom: dmitry is this your technique with mya or does she make you cry? i can't figure out -- >> in some other ways maybe. >> no, we have physical -- >> physical confrontation. >> tom: you've had physical confrontation? >> that's because of his difficult choreography that he doesn't have a good time simplifying. >> sure it's choreography? >> yes, i would never do that intentionally. yes. >> the amount of time -- like, i smacked him in the head, elbowed him in the head. >> at least in the head. >> our very first day of dancing, i accidentally kicked him in his man part and i felt like ooh. >> i think next season you guys should put a clause in the contract that says all guys should wear cups, period. >> tom: almost like the other show i host. donny, how are you and kym doing in that department in terms
12:38 am
of -- >> okay. i'm okay. >> tom: is she hard on you? >> kym is one of the sweetest -- she's one of the sweetest ladies. we're both so exhausted, right? >> yeah. >> but -- >> i haven't made you cry, have i? no. no, i haven't. >> tom: all right. we're going to take a break. we'll get the "larry king" commemorative cups out. the first perfect 30 this season is next. mya and dmitry will tell us how they got the judges on their side, after the break. and the mystery dancers are warming up backstage. right now. see who they are when "larry king live" continues. for over 150 years, wells fargo has been putting our clients first. according to a leading independent research firm, in 2009 clients rated wells fargo advisors the #1 u.s investment firm for doing what's best for them. with advisors nearby and nationwide, we're with you when you need advice and planning expertise to meet today's challenges.
12:39 am
wells fargo advisors. together we'll go far.
12:40 am
sun life financial has never taken government bailout money, yet no one knows our name. ♪ get down tonight that's about to change. so you'll pay for the tour, but i have to change my name? no, you're still kc, but from now on, they will be the sun life band.
12:41 am
it's funky. sooner or later, you'll know our name. sun life financial. >> tom: the "dancing with the stars" finale is tuesday. here on "larry king live" we're handicapping the last contestants' dancing. we've seen the others. now it's mya's and dmitry's turn to shine. let's look back and see when their magic started. >> oh, my goodness. dmitry is the perfect partner for me because, number one, he's cute. number two, he's tall and cute. number three, he is incredible. i thought this was going to be like the simplest dance in the world. >> oh, yeah. that's what i thought too. ♪ i realize the dream ♪ and i visualize the love that came to be ♪ >> that was beautiful. well done. >> all right.
12:42 am
>> that was music in motion. the girl was magnificent. ♪ >> i couldn't find anything to criticize. >> this quickstep is like really fine champagne. after you taste it, nothing else will do. ♪ it ain't worth a trip to paradise ♪ >> tom: now, there was that moment when len said i'm disappointed -- people were booing. he said, i'm disappointed because i couldn't find anything to criticize. what made that a special moment was he was a tough one to please for a while. >> oh, yeah. i have to say that len's criticism definitely lit a fire up my behind for a minute. i didn't know exactly what the rules were. i didn't know what the guidelines were. i didn't know what the
12:43 am
definitions of gimmicks and creative choreography were. so we took all the criticism, analyzed ourselves from week to week. at one point, we were at the bottom about to go home. and do our knockout dance to fight for our lives. and that is a scary position to be in. standing on those steps under those lights, spotlight, by the way, waiting for your name to be called to say "you're safe." that didn't happen until the end. but you never want to feel like that again. so you go into that studio. and we went and bought beds and tents and slept there. and then the next week, after some harsh criticism, we came out and finally pleased all three judges for the first time and that was a feeling like no other. >> tom: i bet. now, as that process was going on, dmitry, the early criticisms and trying to find a way to bring all the judges together, was that increasingly difficult for you? were you bringing the so-called gimmicks to the choreography? did you have to change your strategy? >> well, kind of had to, yes. because i'm kind of a rule breaker.
12:44 am
so -- on the season, yeah. so but yeah, it was kind of difficult. because at one point we didn't feel like we had to be limited by choreography. we wanted to be creative and kind of look out of the box. on the other side, also, it's important to follow the rules, not just come out. it's still a ballroom show. we're not to do some, like, crazy stuff. it was kind of hard to figure out what exactly len was looking for. >> tom: i can't figure him out sometimes. >> i agree. he was tough on you guys. >> carrie ann definitely made a point with one of my weaknesses. and i have to admit it, is the connection. this is a partnership. and this is the first time i'm getting to dance with a guy in my life. and it's about what we ignite for a crowd together. that was definitely one of my weaknesses from week one to probably six or seven. i'm just now getting it. it's all about trying to learn something really, really fast.
12:45 am
and not over-think when you're on the floor. >> tom: it's interesting, to hear you describe it that way. because back -- back in the production office when we're talking behind your backs -- and i said, i said, i think -- i think mya's finally come out of her shell now. and somebody else was saying, well, maybe she's been holding it back, holding it back. but it really was just you becoming more confident. >> for people who have more experience dancing solo, it is a very difficult transition to make, to learn the partnership and to trust that way. it's really tough. i feel for you guys. >> thank you for that. >> what i find interesting -- what i would like actually to happen more, we have all these rules, we got those e-mails from production -- >> no lifts. >> tom: all right, you know what, guys, we got to break. you can certainly argue off the air and i'll share that with you. when we come back, who's got what it takes to win the coveted mirror ball trophy? my sunglasses. ( tires screeching ) ♪
12:46 am
people say i'm forgetful. ( horn honking ) maybe that's why we go to so many memorable places. love the road you're on. the all-new subaru outback. love the road you're on. green shoots. recovery. they say with fingers crossed that the worst is behind us. maybe it's time to get back in the market. but different this time. with more control. and more freedom. why not visit td ameritrade? online, over the phone or in person at a branch. get a feel for their straightforward, objective approach. try out their tools, their research, their help. it's time to take advantage of new opportunities. it's time for td ameritrade.
12:47 am
welcome back to "larry king live." i'm tom bergeron. our finalists on "dancing with the stars can "have come a long ways since they started to tango all those weeks ago. let's see how far they've come. watch. >> my expectations are really high and i felt i was going to get a bit more. >> mya's been pushing herself really hard and is under a lot of pressure. >> let's do that again. again. one more time. this is like punishment, you know that? >> seven, eight. one, two, three. >> some of the stuff we're doing, you know, rum ba, it's really, really hard and i want to make it more difficult because i want to prove my dancing ability is good enough to make it into that final. >> as a performer, as a showman, i'll tell you what, donny osmond is second to none. i cannot believe the energy he gets out there on every dance. >> how old is this guy anyway? he acts like he's 3 years old on sugar.
12:48 am
>> ah! >> seriously, we're going to do these 100 more times until you get it right because you keep getting that bit wrong. >> can we make a game out of it? >> one word to describe my brother? dedicated. i'd love to see my brother win. i think it would be fantastic. >> great job! >> mya went from being a little girl not wanting to dance or sing outside of the living room to dancing on "dancing with the stars," and i'm extremely proud of her. >> winning this competition would mean the most to me. i'd love to show this maryland girl has what it takes to bring home that trophy. >> "dancing with the stars" was a hesitant step in the right direction for me. because i started off being one of the most terrifying miserable experiences of my life. why am i sweating like i'm in the shower? i hate sweating since i've been fat my whole life.
12:49 am
because i stuck to it, it's opened up a whole new door for me. >> she's an incredible young woman. i look at her and i go, she's ours. >> everything has changed. it's all through dancing. i never, ever thought these words would even come out of my mouth. >> aw. >> tom: all right, who do you want to win season nine? that is tonight's quick vote. go to cnn.com/larryking, cast your ballot. still ahead, more "dancing with the stars" the finale preview when "larry king live" returns. tightness in my chest came back- i knew i had to see my doctor. he told me i had choices in controller medicines. we chose symbicort. symbicort starts to improve my lung function within 15 minutes. that's important to me because i know the two medicines in symbicort are beginning to treat my symptoms and helping me take control of my asthma. and that makes symbicort a good choice for me. symbicort will not replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. and should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort contains formoterol. medicines like formoterol may increase the chance of asthma-related death. so, it is not for people whose asthma
12:50 am
is well controlled on other asthma medicines. see your doctor if your asthma does not improve or gets worse. i know symbicort won't replace a rescue inhaler. within 15 minutes symbicort starts to improve my lung function and begins to treat my symptoms. that makes symbicort a good choice for me. you have choices. ask your doctor if symbicort is right for you. (announcer) if you cannot afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help. because we believe in creating cleaner energy that creates new jobs. being the number one manufacturer of wind turbines in america. and developing lower emission, fuel-efficient aircraft engines. ecomagination means growing the green economy by harnessing our most powerful resource- imagination. the american renewal is happening. right now.
12:51 am
all right. welcome back to a special edition of "larry king live." it's the "dancing with the stars" finale preview. i asked the two couples here with me earlier. i want to bring donny and kim back in from vegas. how is your free style coming, guys? because that's the dance -- for example, last season, less than one percentage point separated the winning couple from the second couple. i think the free style is what won it for shawn and mark. how is yours coming along? >> the pressure's on. i've lost you guys for a second. >> sure, you did. >> the rules don't apply for free style? >> there are no rules. >> good.
12:52 am
>> you can lift. you can lift as many times as you want. >> she's lifting me throughout the whole thing. >> whatever you want. we've had so much fun. >> except for ballroom. >> you can do anything you want, i think. >> we've taken a direction -- >> you can -- >> we've gone the direction of carrie ann, lynn and bruno have basically criticized me for being the performer, right, and more technique. >> it's just going to be massive performance. >> massive performance! >> he's the ultimate showman. it's going to be full razzle-dazzle. >> the only thing i would suggest -- >> will be some technique. >> okay. >> it's full on what we're doing at the moment. we're exhausted from it. but it's going to be fun. >> the only thing i would suggest, donny, and i say this, and marie knows that i love her. but steer away from floppy doll dances. all right? yeah. don't do floppy doll dances. >> i'll tell her you said that.
12:53 am
>> donny will not be dressing up as a doll. >> i'm sorry. that was one of the best things i've ever seen. >> not in my book. >> i think that is one of the best -- the best things i have ever seen in my life. it was amazing. especially when she went into the running man. >> she did the running man as a doll. >> i don't remember. >> bless her heart. >> earlier maya said you guys haven't quite arrived at a decision about this yet? >> that's your question. i'm sorry. >> it's okay. >> you are in agreement. you just haven't started rehearsing it yet? >> we're doing other dances right now as we have four this week. so we're still trying to work out the megamix. >> okay. yeah. >> and remember everything. >> that's going to be a new edition to our finale, our finals on monday.
12:54 am
as well, the megamix. our mystery dancers are next. which of the eliminated couples has their last live dance right here next? find out after the break. (announcer) some people just know how to build things well. give you and your loved ones an expertly engineered mercedes-benz at the winter event going on now. but hurry - the offer ends soon. been putting our clients first. according to a leading independent research firm, in 2009 clients rated wells fargo advisors the #1 u.s investment firm for doing what's best for them. with advisors nearby and nationwide, we're with you when you need advice and planning expertise to meet today's challenges. wells fargo advisors. together we'll go far.
12:55 am
12:56 am
welcome back to a special edition of "larry king live." we're here giving a preview of the finale of "dancing with the stars" season 9. joining me now, come over here with me. joanna and derek huff who are still getting over having been voted off last week. >> i know. >> so close! >> the losers' corner over here. >> it's true every season. donny is saying he misses you. >> oh, well i miss everybody. it's been such an amazing experience. and i miss you guys. >> no, really, it has been.
12:57 am
especially, like, everybody that's in the final. everybody deserves to be in the final for one reason or another. we're just rooting for everybody. >> that's cool. one of the things you were telling me during the break is -- don't divulge anything. you may use this in subsequent seasons. you had a killer free style move, right? >> yeah, i did. i had a really interesting idea for this season. i'll just to have save it for next season. >> i'll be heartbroken if i see it next season. >> we've all talked about the journey of being on the show. how has it been for you? how are you different from when you started 10, 14 weeks ago when you started training? >> gosh, such an amazing experience. it definitely made me stronger and more competitive. and definitely made me realize i could really do anything that i want as long as you have the dedication and take the time and focus. obviously a great partner helps as well. >> we're going to put you to work again now, if we can. are you going to dance for us? >> the salsa. >> the knock out dance. since we got knocked out!
12:58 am
>> performing their knockout dance, once again, joanne that and derek. ♪ ♪ >> great job. >> derek and joanna! >> my workout for the day. >> it's amazing you haven't gotten a concussion and you don't talk in a soprano by this
12:59 am
point. do you guys want to play judge along with carrie ann? what's the panel say? >> ten! >> ten! >> all the way. ten all the way. >> ten! >> oh, and donny and kim give you a ten fingers. >> we give you tens. >> fantastic. >> who's your pick for the finale? for the mirror ball trophy? >> you know what, it's a tough call. because everybody's so amazing in their own way. but kelly and i kind of bonded more throughout the week. so i'm rooting for my girl kelly. but all of them are amazing. >> yes. that was very diplomatic. now four people hate you. >> joanna who? >> don't tap dance now. >> joanna who? >> who do you think, derek? >> you know what, it's a dancing show. for a dancing competition i think mya would take it for dancing style.

228 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on