Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  April 14, 2011 3:00am-4:00am EDT

3:00 am
>> reporter: really, you made them feel guilty? did anyone quit smoking? >> no. not quite. >> that's it for "360." thanks for watching. "piers morgan" starts now. i'll see you tomorrow. tonight, donald trump, no holds barred. what does he think about this? what do you think about donald trump banging on about this? >> i think it's a shame. i think my brother should definitely be president for a second term. >> everybody's talking about him and tonight i want to give donald trump the chance to respond. and speaking of no holds barred, we've also got whoopi goldberg. >> i don't generally talk about the trapeze in my room but that's a whole other thing. >> oscar winner, comedian, talk show host, broadway producer, most importantly, never short of a word or two.
3:01 am
you've become really squeaky clean, haven't you? >> i still smoke cigarettes. i don't have a boyfriend. >> tonight one on one with whoopi goldberg. this is "piers morgan tonight." donald trump has been a harsh critic of president obama and perhaps not coincidentally is tied for the lead in the crowded field of potential presidential contenders. donald, you must be hating this, you're the center of attention. >> well, i really find it to be interesting, because as you know, i've done a great job as a businessman but i'm not a politician politician, and maybe that's what's resonating with people, i don't know. i was happy to see your cnn poll. frankly there are other polls coming out even more so. i'm very honored by it, piers. >> it's interesting, i've been following this for a few months now, your slow progression in
3:02 am
the poll ratings. do you get a sense that washington, d.c. hasn't really taken you seriously? and do you think we're now at the tipping point where they have to? >> well, i always felt that the people took me seriously. and very seriously. and if i'd make a speech or if i'd do a show, i could see that it was really -- it was really hitting home. and whether i talk about china, whether i talk about opec and how they're just absolutely ripping us like nobody's ever ripped us before, how they're in the case of china and so many other countries, how they are just taking our jobs, taking our money, making our product, manipulating the currency so it makes it almost impossible for our companies to compete. when i say these things, people really get it. you know, the public is very smart. and they do get it. >> people have been saying in the last few days as these
3:03 am
ratings have come out showing you, you know, basically the equal front-runner at the moment of the republicans with mike huckabee, they've been saying, ah yes, but when donald trump gets properly scrutinized, rake over his personal life, his finances, then it will all come unstuck. what's your answer to that? >> well, i've been very public for many years. again, i'm not a professional politician. i don't do this for a living. i understand politics. i've dealt with politicians all of my life. i've dealt with foreign countries all my life. i've made a lot of money with china as example. and i understand china. i understand the whole mentality. i understand what they're doing and how they're doing it to us. i know the solution, perhaps more importantly. >> if you do not get the republican nomination, you have flirted with the idea of possibly running as an independent. is that a serious option for you? >> well, i don't like the concept because they've done polls and i get huge numbers as an independent and i'm a very
3:04 am
conservative republican. so unlike other people that would be, let's say, much more liberal in terms of a tag, where you take votes away from obama, i would be taking votes away from the republican candidate, and i don't want to do that. so it's something i really don't want to do. and, you know, the problem is, i get very, very high independent votes. in fact, cnn did a poll where my numbers are even better than they are in the republican primary. as independents. i think you saw that, piers where i'm substantially in the lead by many, many points. >> who would you see as potentially your main rivals in the current field? >> everybody, everybody. they're all rivals. everybody. and i really like some of them. some of them i know. i really like some of them. and it's always a little bit difficult for me to go against people that i like. because i can't be the real donald trump. it's a little bit difficult. and i will say this, i actually think, and i said it before, that i actually think it's tougher to win the republican primary than it is to beat obama. at least for me. >> i want to come now to probably the most contentious
3:05 am
issue that involves you at the moment. this whole thing about president obama, where he was born. the birther scandal as it's now been dunn bbed. i want to play you a clip from my interview with the president's sister which was quite contentious when it came to your involvement in this. does this whole, think, ridiculous debate about whether he was born in america -- what do you think of that? >> i think it's unfortunate. he was born in hawaii. there is a tremendous amount of proof that has already been presented. the then republican governor and head of the department of, you know, health in hawaii even attested to the fact that the birth certificate that they inspected was, in fact, valid. it's in the newspaper. it's on the day of his birth. so i think that it is time for people to put that to bed, put it to rest completely. >> what do you think of donald trump banging on about this every day at the moment?
3:06 am
>> well, i think it's a shame. and i think my brother should definitely be president for a second term. and that's really all i have to say about it. >> i mean, donald, i'll put my cards on the table here. i kind of think you run a pretty -- as far up this flag pole as you can. i mean, doesn't there come a point where you have to accept that nothing else is going to emerge on this story and you have to let it go? >> well, think you're totally wrong. and i was surprised at your statement that frankly you don't agree with it. because you're supposed to be a great reporter. and if i were a reporter, i'd be all over this. i think that his sister's lovely. i have to tell you. i watched the interview last night. i thought she was a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice. and i just thought she was a
3:07 am
lovely person. and i watched it. i thought it was an excellent interview. and i'm sure he's very proud of her. the fact is, he doesn't show his birth certificate. he shows a certificate of live birth which is a much lower standard. he's not showing his birth certificate. >> donald, let me ask you directly here because i don't agree with you on this issue and i have huge respect for you, as you know. but on this issue, do you actually believe that president obama wasn't born in hawaii? do you personally believe that? >> i think there's a substantial chance. and i will tell you, when i first started on this about a month and a half ago, i had heard this issue for years. by the way, 70% of the republican party thinks that maybe -- in fact, it's actually higher, could be 75%, that maybe, maybe, he wasn't, and about 30% think that he was not born here. >> finally, donald, i mean, today president obama came out with this huge new fiscal plan. involving cutting trillions of
3:08 am
dollars off the deficit. what was your take on it when you read the detail? >> well, think it's terrible for a lot of reasons. including the fact that you're talking about big tax increases. you're talking about the interest deduction on real estate and people's homes, where they're losing a big chunk of it. that's what going to do to the home market, which is devastated already? and, you know, when it goes good there's nothing that creates more jobs like the home market with the real estate. and you're taking away a big chunk of the deduction. the automatic trigger is brutal. and charitable giving is going to be hurt very badly because you're taking away the incentives at least from a financial standpoint to do charitable giving. so there are a lot of negatives. also, the number -- with all of that said, the number is so small that it won't make enough of a dent in the deficit. >> well, donald trump, i certainly think it would be most entertaining at the very least if you entered this campaign. think a lot of people are waiting with bated breath. and they're watching your poll numbers going up all the time. i would imagine, as you have said, there is mounting
3:09 am
fascination at the white house as to whether you will run or not. so thank you for joining me tonight. we'll watch this race. >> thank you very much, piers. >> today, president obama laid out his plan to cut the nation's $14 trillion debt. his goal, slashing $4 trillion over 2 years. the goal that's got republicans complaining too little, too late. some of his own party fearing the cuts will go simply too deep. listen to the president. >> to those in my own party, i say that if we truly believe in a progressive vision of our society, we have an obligation to prove that we can afford our commitments. if we believe the government can make a difference in people's lives, we have the obligation to prove that it works. by making government smarter and leaner and more effective. >> who will win this latest budget battle? joining me now is governor schumer. chairman of the campaign committee. senator, thank you very much for joining me.
3:10 am
the reaction has been pretty intense today, to the president's speech. what was your view? >> oh, i thought he hit it out of the park. the president laid out a vision for america that just about every american can accept. we know we have to cut the deficit. the deficit is a real problem. but at the same time, we know we have to grow the economy. and increase jobs and increase middle class lives. and the president has put his money on both. there's significant deficit reduction. $4.4 trillion over 12 years. but at the same time the president has said that we are not going to do certain things that some on the radical right would like be done. let me name three major differences between the president's proposal and, say, the ryan proposal. first, we don't believe in ending medicare. or making medicare so fragile that a senior citizen can't exist on it. second, we believe that there are certain programs that have to grow.
3:11 am
for instance, we have to continue helping kids go to college. we have to make our schools better. we have to build modern infrastructure. and we have to continue scientific research. and, third, the president believed in shared sacrifice. the republican proposal actually lowers taxes on multimillionaires who really don't need these government programs. they can afford college pretty easily for themselves. we say no, there should be shared sacrifice. everyone's going to have to give a little. you don't lower taxes on multimillionaires to 25%, the low effort level since herbert hoover, if you want to get the deficit down and help the middle class gain jobs and gain better lives. >> i mean, it's quite clear, as we saw from the near shutdown last week, the economy is going to be the central plank of the next presidential campaign. do you see an ideological split beginning to form itself now
3:12 am
between the republicans and democrats? >> well, i think there's a split between what the president said and some in the republican party who are on the far right who say, you know, that all the sacrifice should be from the middle class. think the president put it well. he didn't want to see 36 senior citizens each increase their medicare payments by $6,000, a huge jump, to help fund a tax break for a single millionaire. and so that's what you're finding. but you are finding some republicans, tom coburn, saxby chambliss, saying yes, it should be part of it. there should be shared sacrifice. it would be next to impossible to get the deficit down in a very snifg can't way and not do certain kinds of revenues. as soon as the republican leadership comes to that realization, we can then sit down as equals and negotiate a good deficit reduction package. >> a little earlier in the show,
3:13 am
i was talking to donald trump whop is emerging to many people's surprise as a front-runner in the republican nominee -- what's your take on that? >> i can't say anything bad about donald trump because he's from brooklyn. to me, in the republican primary, the more, the merrier. >> do you take him seriously as a candidate if he decides to actually officially declare? >> i'm going to leave the republican primary to the republican voters, the republican office holders and the many candidates who are battling it out. i think we'll beat every single one of those who are talking about running. let's hope it comes down to the substantive issues. when it comes down to the substantive issues, i think the proposals that we're making and the president made today are a lot closer to where the average american is than the republican
3:14 am
proposals so i hope this is a substantive election. by the way, when american people are not happy and things aren't going so well or hurting a little bit, think the substance matters more, so i think that will actually be an advantage for us. >> senator schumer, thank you very much indeed. >> thanks, piers. >> coming up, a woman who's not afraid to speak her mind about politics or anything else. the one and only whoopi goldberg.
3:15 am
3:16 am
3:17 am
whoopi goldberg. how are you? >> i'm good. i'm fascinated by my own image. >> the wall of shame we have here or hall of fame, whatever you want to call it. >> i think it's fame. i'm never ashamed. >> really? you've never been ashamed of anything you've ever done? >> i don't think i've ever done anything shameful. >> that's in itself is shameful. >> why? >> shouldn't you -- >> you mean publicly or private? >> let's go private. >> well, i'm sure something would have been shameful. or ways that i did things. >> feel free to share. >> well, no, just, you know, i
3:18 am
don't generally talk about the trapeze in my room but that's a whole other thing. >> you've had three marriages. >> yeah. >> first one lasted six years. >> yeah. >> second one lasted two years. >> yeah. >> and the last one lasted a year. so i think i know why you haven't gotten remarried. you wouldn't have enough time to actually get divorced. >> oh, i see. >> they're lasting shorter periods. >> well, i suppose that, you know, you have to actually be in love with the person that you marry. you have to really be committed to them. i just don't have that commitment. i'm committed to my family. you know. and so for that relationship has lasted, you know, the longest. >> do you think you were in love with all your husbands? >> no. >> any of them? >> no, i don't think so. >> really? >> uh-huh. >> amaze thing to say, isn't it? >> it's the truth. >> it's sort of amazing. >> oh, well all right. >> you have church weddings? >> oh, let me see.
3:19 am
i think there's a vegas. maybe one was a church. and one was a house wedding. >> why did you do it if you weren't in love with them? >> because i wanted to feel normal. and it seemed to me if i was married, i'd have a much more normal life. clearly, that's not the case. that's not a good reason to get married. you have to actually want a life with someone. through ups and downs. and i just discovered that wasn't for me. >> how many times have you been in love? >> once. >> who with? >> a man. >> go on. >> i've gone as far as i'm going. >> can i try to name him? >> you would chuck a name. >> ted. >> you asking me if i was in love with ted? is that the man i'm talking about? >> yes. >> no. >> really? >> uh-huh. >> would we know who the person is? >> no, and that's the beauty of it. >> wow, amazing. bombshell time. >> it's not a real bombshell but i snuck a couple in on ya'll and nobody knew. >> you did. the one person you probably
3:20 am
loved is someone we don't know about. >> uh-huh, yeah. and that's okay. >> is this a recent thing? >> no, no, no. long time ago. >> you wish you'd married that person? >> no. >> why? >> because what i know now is i don't want to live with -- i don't want to live with anyone. >> yeah, but you tried it with the wrong guys. >> no, i think i tried it with the right guys for other people. it wasn't them. it was me. because i actually like living on my own. i like being able to go up and down my stairs farting like a queen and not having to explain. i like being able to smoke all over my house and not have someone go -- you know, i like my privacy. i like it. >> didn't you like being in love? >> i don't know if i did. because it's -- the hardest thing. if you already have a family, being in love with someone is very difficult. because you want them to know that you also love them, and you want your family to know that
3:21 am
you love them, and it's a very difficult choice to have to make. you know, it's a difficult choice to have to make. and once you realize that it's one or the other, you say, oh, okay. >> do you think that guy knows he's the only man you've ever loved? >> yes, yes. >> you still talk to him? >> yeah, we talk all the time. he's got two great kids and a great wife. >> he's married and -- >> oh, yeah. oh, yeah. >> i feel quite sad for you. >> why? >> i don't know. i just feel like -- >> you know, people say that all the time. people always say, you know, i'm going to fix you up with someone. i go, no, no. >> i feel sad this guy you loved ended up with somebody else and it didn't work out for you. >> yeah, but, you know, lots of other things did so i didn't do too badly. not too badly at all. >> are you on the dating scene? >> no. please, honey, oh, my god. could you imagine? >> not really.
3:22 am
>> me sitting -- hey, in the bar? no, no. i'm -- i never was much of a dater. i'm not a real go out kind of person. though in the last couple of months, lots of my friends are on stage now so i'm getting to go see lots of shows. i was never a real dater. i either meet somebody and we hang out and whatever happens happens. but i'm really a singular person. >> do you get lonely? >> i don't think so. i keep trying to. you know, i keep trying to go -- boy, i really want someone in my life. but i don't. you know, because the greatest thing is that there are people in my life that i love and adore. some of them are married. some of them are not. but i don't have to -- i don't have to do any more than love them. i don't have to do any more than that. and i actually like that. because i love some of these folks that i know. i mean, with all my heart. but, boy, do i want them coming to live with me?
3:23 am
hell no. hell no. >> what's been good about you? one of the many good things about you, but your big campaign on behalf of gay marriage won you a lot of support from a lot of people in america. contentious things to do. are you disappointed that president obama, who i know you're a massive fan of and supported, hasn't really done that much for gay marriage? >> well, i'm not surprised by it. very few presidents can go on and make the change they want to make. and he was very clear that he was conflicted about it. and once he made his decision, he talked to everybody, said, look, i'm going to go for it. and i -- you know, the guy's got kahonas. i have to say. he said, we're going to the generals and we're going to do this. we're going to pass the law getting rid of don't ask, don't tell. we're doing it. because it's hurtful to our
3:24 am
citizens. now, what does he feel in his heart? he has no problem with gay folks. he has a problem with gay marriage. i suggest he never marry a gay person. then he'll always know that his heart is good. but he's looking out for gay people in the way that he can. and in this country, it's huge that anything got done. at all. at all. >> do you think we're getting there perhaps? >> well, listen, we didn't tip over the edge, in spite of the fact that everybody's saying, oh, he hasn't done anything. you know, we didn't go over the edge. he pulled us back. has he spent a lot of money? probably. there was a lot of money spent before. i'm sick of it. i'm sick of, you know, endless taxes by telephone companies and, you know, people telling me that i can't have a hamburger from mcdonald's because i should know it's going to make me obese. no, no, no. get off my back. get off my -- you want me to
3:25 am
stop smoking cigarettes? stop selling them. right? >> right. >> i mean, because they're making money from the taxes. they don't mind that. but we're concerned about your health. cigarettes cost in some states $13. a pack. see? and until they stop selling them, i'm going to -- i'm going to smoke. >> good for you. >> i think so. >> you should do whatever you want to do. >> well, not whatever i want to do. because i would not smoke without saying to you, does this bother you? if it does, i won't do it. because i'm very -- i'm aware that other people may not feel the same way. but i do think that i was raised well. you were raised well by intelligent people for the most part, both of us, and that we know how to say to someone, would this bother you if i did that? >> let's take a little break. you're nicely fired up. >> i'm not fired up. >> when we come back, i want to know what you really think of the ladies of "the view." >> if anything was going to put me back in my shell, you just did. [ sneezes ] allergies?
3:26 am
you think i have allergies? you're sneezing. i'm allergic to you. doubtful, you love me. hey, you can't take allegra with fruit juice. what? yeah, it's on the label. really? here, there's nothing about juice on the zyrtec® label. what? labels are meant to be read. i'd be lost without you. i knew you weren't allergic to me. [ sneezes ] you know, you can't take allegra with orange juice. both: really? fyi. [ male announcer ] get zyrtec®'s proven allergy relief and love the air®. [ male announcer ] get zyrtec®'s proven allergy relief people have all kinds of retirement questions. no problem. td ameritrade has all kinds of answers.
3:27 am
call us for quick help opening your new ira. or an in-depth talk with a retirement expert. like me. stop by my branch for a free retirement check-up. retirement hows and how-muches? whens... and what-ifs? bring 'em on. it's free. you're gonna retire. and we're gonna help. retirement answers at td ameritrade. roll over your old 401(k) and get up to $500.
3:28 am
3:29 am
shoot. >> "newsweek" magazine recently said you're the most popular host of "the view" and you're even more liked than your friend oprah. what do you say to that? >> okay. i don't know, i don't know. >> no denial i notice. >> well, i -- you know, i mean, i'm thankful, i'm grateful, but i don't know really what it means.
3:30 am
i don't know what it means. >> are you friends with the other co-stars of "the view"? or are they co-workers you have to get on with? >> no, no, no. i don't have the patience for it. i don't have the patience just to -- >> you haven't got the patience when you're out there with them? >> not with them. sometimes when we're talking. there are things i really don't care about and i'm supposed to. i have to try a little harder. but there are just things i'm never going to understand the fascination. >> like what? >> like "dancing with the stars." you know? or charlie sheen's thing. or, you know, any of it. >> you had a problem with drugs, didn't you? >> yeah. >> when you see him, do you feel sorry for him? what do you think? whatever you want to do? >> no, you know what, these are such personal issues. they are such personal choices. that if he can do it and do, you know, ten years of working and
3:31 am
not being called out because he's always been on time and he knows his lines and he does what he's supposed to, well, who am i, you know? who am i? i know how it is to, you know, know what you're doing when you're, you know, sort of a little off. >> isn't it true that when you won your oscar you were actually high as a kite? >> no. >> oh, please tell me the truth. >> well, no. i mean, it could be. i could have smoked a joint. i don't know. >> could have smoked a joint when you won an oscar? >> how long ago do you think that was? that was in 1990. i probably did smoke a joint. but, you know, again, to explain what you did you know, 1990 was how long -- i'm straight as arrow now and i can't even tell you how long ago that was. but, you know, what you did 10 years or 15 years or 20 years -- you grow up. would i smoke a joint now before i went to work? no. >> have you ever? >> no, god no. >> really? >> yeah. number one, you can smell it on
3:32 am
people, okay. so why put myself in that position? >> you've become really quite squeaky clean, haven't you? >> i still smoke cigarettes so i'm not that squeaky clean. and i don't have a boyfriend. >> i want to play you a little clip of some of the men you've gone after on "the view." >> that i've gone after? >> yeah, i think you'll enjoy this. >> all right. >> come open. . >> i want to say something. >> you're accusing me of lying. let me tell you -- >> what do you mean i'm accusing you? you're a lying sack of dog mess. you lie. i think that's the biggest pile of dog mess i've heard in ages. >> the question is -- >> i do like the word. i love the word dog mess. >> -- called me dog mess for half an hour. >> well, they won't let me say
3:33 am
the real word, you know. >> what do you want to say? >> i say that's bull [ bleep ]. but you can't say bull [ bleep ] on network television. >> really? >> 11:00 in the morning. apparently not. you cannot say bull [ bleep ] >> is that ridiculous? >> yes, i do. >> absurd, those fake morality plays -- >> well, we have to adhere to them. >> tell me about what "the view" does for you. you obviously have this stunning career in many different fields. and you've ended up as this kind of voice of america in the morning. >> did you say ended up? is this it? am i done? >> i didn't mean in a bad way. >> oh, all right. i meant -- by the way, voice of america is a very important role. and it's a role that you seem incredibly perfectly capable of filling. but do you ever think you'd be this? you ever think you'd be on tv every day giving opinion? >> no, i never did. you know, this is the -- i still do, one woman show, one person
3:34 am
shows, where i talk about all kinds of different issues. about no, i don't think of myself as the voice of america. but i do think that sometimes i see things from a different perspective. sometimes because of my race. sometimes because of my gender. sometime because of my experiences. but -- and so i don't -- i mean, a safe place where i can say, no, here's what i know, here's my experience with something like this. and it feels okay. >> when you hear donald trump go after barack obama for where he was born, what do you think of that? >> it makes me really, really angry. it makes me angry because the facts are there. and you're refusing -- you're pissing in the face of facts. facts are facts. you know? there are a whole line of people whose job it is to make sure that the president of the united states is an american citizen.
3:35 am
so if all of those people are in on some conspiracy to get some black terrorist in the white house -- it's, like, really? really? really? and, you know, he's on his thing about it. and it just makes me sad. because it means facts don't mean anything. no one has to check. no one has to prove anything. and this to me is a terrible disservice to the american people and to the internet, man. >> how do you think you would have fared as a young celebrity when you first hit the big time if the internet had been around? >> oh, my gosh. no. no. no, no, no. i don't think i would have fared as well. but, you know, it took everybody a little while to get used to me. it took everybody a little while to get used to how i looked and, you know, how i was. 'cause i wasn't like femme-girl, you know. i wasn't considered, you know,
3:36 am
beautiful. so people had to get over the hair. and they had to -- so, you know, anything i was doing back then would have been compounded by "and look at her." "look at her." >> i've always thought you were pretty sexy. >> thank you, piers. you are in a minority, honey. >> i don't think i am. >> oh, yeah. >> i think you'd be surprised. >> i don't think i would be. >> you clearly would be because you're surprised. >> it's because you're a younger man. >> going to take another little break. when we come back, i want to talk to you about your defense of many celebrities who fall by the way side. it's interesting. >> yes. hey! you want that? you want a warm, super-delicious strawberry toaster strudel yeah but now i have nothing to eat sure you do. hey! you can have the pop tart! pillsbury toaster strudel. the one kids want to eat
3:37 am
when i got my medicare card, i realized i needed an aarp... medicare supplement insurance card, too. medicare is one of the great things about turning 65, but it doesn't cover everything. in fact, it only pays up to 80% of your part b expenses. if you're already on or eligible for medicare, call now to find out how an aarp... medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company, helps cover some of the medical expenses... not paid by medicare part b. that can save you from paying up to thousands of dollars... out of your own pocket. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans... exclusively endorsed by aarp. when you call now, you'll get this free information kit... with all you need to enroll. put their trust in aarp medicare supplement insurance. plus you'll get this free guide to understanding medicare. the prices are competitive. i can keep my own doctor. and i don't need a referral to see a specialist.
3:38 am
call now to get a free information kit. plus you'll get this free guide to understanding medicare. and the advantages don't end there. choose from a range of medicare supplement plans... that are all competitively priced. we have a plan for almost everyone, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget. with all medicare supplement plans, there are virtually no claim forms to fill out. plus you can keep your own doctor and hospital that accepts medicare. and best of all, these plans are... the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp. when they told me these plans were endorsed by aarp... i had only one thing to say... sign me up. call the number on your screen now... and find out about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan. you'll get this free information kit... and guide to understanding medicare, to help you choose the plan that's right for you. as with all medicare supplement plans, you can keep your own doctor and hospital that accepts medicare, get help paying for what medicare doesn't... and save up to thousands of dollars. call this toll-free number now.
3:39 am
3:40 am
one of the more surprising things about you, whoopi, is you're quite happy to slap a politician around for bad behavior but when it comes to celebrities -- >> who have i slapped around? >> well, if a politician is behaving in your view wrongly -- >> no. >> or if a right wing cable host, someone like a bill o'reilly or glenn beck -- whack, whack, whack. somebody like -- well, let's play a clip. give you a little idea of what i'm talking about. >> see that picture? well, that picture -- certainly looks like a racist to me.
3:41 am
>> he said he was joking. >> he doesn't look like a racist. he looks like an idiot. i know mel and i know he's not a racist. drunks say stupid stuff to people all the time. all the time. because they're drunk. they're out of control. they're not thinking. they're idiotic. that's why i don't like alcohol. i can't say anything about that 'cause i know what people are like when they're drunk. this rant -- i don't think he's drunk on this rant. >> you also defended michael phelps for smoking pot. >> no, i didn't -- i said he had the right to smoke pot. help had the right to smoke pot. >> that's defending him. >> no, that's just saying if you're going to condemn somebody for smoking weed, it seems kind of crazy if they're in their home and someone's taking a picture of them. >> you also believe that people -- and i've met mel gibson a few times and i kind of share your view about him. but as a rule of thumb of this kind of thing, do you think that people when they're drunk always
3:42 am
say different things to what they really think? or do you think the drink loosens tongues perhaps? >> i think that drunks say whatever comes into their head. drunks are not smart enough to think. they probably wouldn't say half the stuff they say and get their behinds kicked. the thing about drunks is they just -- they don't know any better. >> do you ever get drunk? >> yeah. >> properly, you know, seeing stars? >> yes, oh, yeah, i did, once. that's why i don't drink anymore. >> once? >> yeah, once. >> you've been drunk once in your life? >> once in my life and i was in public. >> where was it? >> no in new orleans. >> go on, tell me more. >> i've told you everything you asked me. >> i want to hear all about it. >> i know you do. >> how drunk were you? >> very drunk. and, you know, if you -- my belief is when you're at home, you're entitled to do whatever you want. you're in the privacy of your home. now, homes are no longer private
3:43 am
because if you have a party people have cameras so snap. you're at home, it doesn't mean anything. i'm saying michael phelps if he was at home and he wanted to smoke a bong, he should have had the right to smoke a bong. >> you don't think he had any responsibility as a role model -- >> he's not smoking weed out in the street. at home, no, i don't. >> really? >> yes, man, yes. because those ties are too hard for anybody to live up to. people say, you are a role model for these kids and you shouldn't be doing this and you shouldn't be saying you did this. the truth of the matter is is i should not be your kid's role model. you should be your kid's role model. but you don't want to be your kid's role model because even you can't live up to it. so back off me. >> so no famous people should ever consider themselves to be role models? >> people -- famous people should consider themselves
3:44 am
whatever they want to consider themselves. but know that the consequence of saying i am a role model is x, y, z. i'm saying that no one should be held to your idea of what their life should be. because your dream of what they should be doing, that's not -- that's not right. it's not fair. and it says that you can't have bad periods. not periods but bad swing, you know what i mean. >> they sell their wedding for $1 million, are they entitled to privacy? >> i don't know. if you sell it to a magazine, i wouldn't think so. i don't know. >> you can't be -- >> huh? >> you can't be -- >> i've never done that so i can't speak to it. i'm telling you. my attitude is you can't be surprised that, you know, people are following you around. you call them and tell them where you are, you cannot bitch that they're there. >> i agree. we've actually reached a point of agreement. what did you want to say? >> i wanted to say to those of you out there who disagree with me in terms of being a role model, save your e-mails. i know you don't agree. it's okay. save the e-mails. i get it. i get it.
3:45 am
but i have a different opinion. that's what i want to say. >> you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. >> thank you. >> when we come back, i want to talk to you about your work on broadway. >> thank you, piers. good for dinner tonight? i don't know, something. [ mom ] something... ♪ mexican. [ female announcer ] thinking mexican tonight? hamburger helper has five festive flavors like crunchy taco. hamburger helper. one pound. one pan. one happy family. today, investors want retirement planning likon their terms. i want to work with people who are objective. how about a plan with my name on it... not someone else's. can we start with realistic goals please? and research that's strictly third party. show me how to keep more retirement money in my pocket. now, and down the road.
3:46 am
those are my terms. those are my terms. those are my terms. then this is your place. td ameritrade. where millions of investors plan for retirement on their terms.
3:47 am
3:48 am
hey, we're keeping them honest tonight. is nato up to the mission in libya? your contract for "the view" is coming up for renewal. >> maybe. >> you're going to be there for two more years? >> yeah, as far as i know. i mean, unless i really step in it. >> would you like to extend it further? you want to carry on?
3:49 am
is there a natural shelf life? >> i don't know. i'll know in a year or two. i mean, i can't really tell. i mean, i don't know. i don't know. i'm having a good time so far. >> what do you like doing most? you can do one thing for the rest of your life. >> really? >> yeah. >> i'd like to sit on my porch with my cigarette, my potato chips and my water, a great couple of thousand of books and my cat. >> for the next 20 years you'd do that? >> i could do that. >> no, you couldn't. >> i could. >> i don't believe you. >> i know. that's all right. you think i need a boyfriend too. >> no, i don't think you need a boyfriend. i don't think you need a boyfriend. i regretted the fact that the one guy you loved got away. that's different. >> well, right. i didn't say what i pushed him away. >> did you? >> i'm not telling you. >> why not -- >> you should have asked me. >> >> you can't take a cam toll an oasis and say you can't have
3:50 am
a drink. >> watch. a camel to the osasis? >> you've led me now to this story. >> the camel clearly had enough water to get there. >> you clearly wouldn't have raised the spectra of driving him away if you hadn't. >> you'll never know. >> what's on the horizon for you? >> you know, i've got musicals opening. i have "sister act" which is opening on broadway on the 20th of april. and we just opened another piece called "white noise" in chicago. another musical again. >> it's about white supremacist? >> yes. to me it's less about white supremacist than the choices we make when we chip away at integrity. the things you say i would never do that and you make a little ching and suddenly you've made a little bit of inroads and you've justified it. and another little tweak happens. is it's about when fame and fortune are being dangled, do you give up your core beliefs, whether the people agree with
3:51 am
them or not? do you give them up? and we have two sets of singing, two singing groups that have to deal with this dilemma. so it's very interesting and edgy and we use all the words that have been buried and burned. >> is america more racist or less racist than say 20 years ago from your experience? >> well, i don't know. you know, i thought it was slightly less racist, but now i'm not positive anymore. >> why? >> because it just feels -- for me, i have to put in my head when you question this president, the first president we've ever had of color, and you're not sure where he was born, and it continues, what is that about really?
3:52 am
>> in donald trump's defense, i don't think he's a racist at all. i don't think he means it in a racist context. >> why didn't he ask that about george bush or bill clinton? >> i suspect it's about votes, because his poll ratings, the more he hammers this point. it's probably an anti-obama vote catching mechanism. >> why not say he's a -- a crappy president. >> i like the fact that you don't like to be seen as a successful african-american, you would rather be seen a american. >> too many people died for that. i'm entitled to everything an american is entitled to. if that gives people pause, both black and white, i'm coming from a place where my mother worked
3:53 am
her behind off to educate me to make me know that this was my country. good or bad, this is my country. >> your next movie is called "a little bit of heaven." when we come back after the break, i'm going to ask you what your idea of what heaven is. >> ahhh. ♪ [ male announcer ] sitting. waiting. hoping. that's a recipe for failed investing. open an e-trade account and open doors, seize opportunities, take action
3:54 am
with some of the most powerful yet easy-to-use trading tools on the planet. all built to help you maximize the potential of every dollar you invest. successful investing isn't done by throwing ideas against the wall and hoping. it's done by lowering your costs and raising your expectations by using unbiased research and powerful screeners to build a diversified portfolio with stocks, bonds, mutual funds and every etf sold. and we'll help you every step of the way. with 5-star service and free education covering everything from the basics to advanced investing strategies. start now and we'll give you up to $500 and let you trade free for 60 days. visit our website, call us, open an account. e-trade. investing unleashed.
3:55 am
3:56 am
3:57 am
your new movie called "a little bit of heaven." what's your idea of a little bit of heaven? >> being here with you, piers. this is my little bit of heaven. sunny days with my family. >> ever thought what heaven might be like when you get up there? >> i just assume it's going to be good times with the family. people that you didn't get to meet because they were gone. >> do you believe in an after life? yeah. i like the idea of it. >> do you pray a lot? >> probably. >> probably? >> yeah. >> you either do or you don't. >> well, no, it depends -- how do you describe praying? >> i suppose -- >> going to church and stuff? >> not necessarily going to church but talking to an entity that is not physically there and
3:58 am
asking for help, do you do that kind of thing? >> no, no. >> what's your idea of prayer? >> i could use some backup. i guess that's it. >> do you go to any church? >> no, no. i don't like being inside, you see. >> at all? >> very rarely. if it's nice weather, then i don't want ever to see the inside of a house. i just want to be in the sun, soaking up the rays. >> in "sister act" you play a catholic. i am a catholic. >> i recognized you. >> imagine you're a catholic, profess to me your greatest sins. >> are you mad? you're not going to sucker me, piers. i was not born yesterday, fool! >> got to give a dog a bone. >> that was sweet.
3:59 am
>> give me a little juicy bone. if you were in the confessional now, what would you -- >> i would say, have you seen "sister act" yet? listen, father, come on over. yes, i'll give you two tickets. bring some of the sisters with you, tell me what you think. >> if you had five minutes to relive the greatest moment of your life, it could be anything, what could it be? can't be the birth of your daughter or any of your marriages. >> right. and it can't be the daughter of my kid or my grand kids? >> no. >> okay. in that case, i don't know the answer to that. because i don't know if i've already had it yet, the greatest moment of my life. i don't know. there are hundreds of times i've been the happiest. there's no one time. but again, i don't know. if you come see me just half an

93 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on