Skip to main content

tv   Erin Burnett Out Front  CNN  July 15, 2013 11:00pm-12:00am EDT

11:00 pm
good evening, everyone. tonight breaking news, a "360" exclusive, one of the six members of the jury that
11:01 pm
acquitted george zimmerman, for the first time anywhere she is speaking out. she's the first juror to do so, to speak out publicly, the first to talk about the powerful testimony they all saw, which evidence persuaded her and the or final women on the panel. what happened exactly inside that jury room? what does she think really happened the night george zimmerman shot and killed trayvon martin? there is that, whether she thinks race played a role and a lot more. here's part one of our exclusive conversation. when you first sat down on the jury, when you first gathered together, what was it like? did you know how big this -- >> it was unreal. it was unreal. it was like something that -- why would they want to pick me? why would i be picked over all these hundreds of people that they interviewed? >> and when the trial started, what was the first day like? there were the opening statements. don west told the joke. what did you think of that?
11:02 pm
>> the joke was horrible. i just -- nobody got it. i didn't get it until later and then i thought about it and thought i guess it could have been funny but not in the context he told it. >> going into the trial, did you have an idea in your mind about what happened? >> no. because i hadn't followed the trial at all. i mean, i had heard bits and pieces of what had happened and the names that were involved but not any details. >> so take me back, if you can, to that first day, the opening statements. what do you remember about them? what stood out to you? >> not a whole lot. because it seems like it's been years ago that it happened. >> really? >> it does. it seems like it's been bea ver long time that we were there. >> was there a particular witness that stands out to you? who did you find to be the most credible? >> the doctor and -- i don't know his name.
11:03 pm
>> the doctor the defense called? >> yes. >> what about him? >> i thought he was awe-inspiring. the experiences he had had over in the war. i just never thought of anybody that could recognize somebody's voice yelling in like a terrible terror voice when he was just previously a half hour ago playing cards with him. >> this was the witness that the friend of george zimmerman's who had had multiexperienilitary ex? >> no, this was the defense -- >> the defense medical examiner. >> yeah. >> what was it like just day by day being on that jury? >> day by day was interesting. there were more interesting this evening -- things than others. when they got into the evidence, it was more interesting. some of the witnesses were good, some of them not so good. >> did you feel -- a lot of analysts who were watching the trial felt that the defense
11:04 pm
attorneys, mark o'mara, don west, were able to turn prosecution witnesses to their advantage. chris serino, for example, the lead investigator. did he make an impression on you? >> chris serino did. but to me he just was doing his job the way he was doing his job and he was going to tell the truth regardless of who asked him the questions. >> so you found him to be credible? >> i did. very credible. >> so when he testified that he found george zimmerman to be more or less overall truthful, did that make an impression on you? >> it did. it did. it made a big impression on me. >> why? >> because he deals with this all the time. he deals with, you know, murder, robberies. he's in it all the time. and i think he has a knack to pick out who's lying and who's not lying. >> the prosecution started off by saying that george zimmerman was on top in the struggle.
11:05 pm
and then later on they seemed to concede, well, perhaps trayvon martin was on top but maybe was pulling away. >> mm-hmm. >> did you feel that the prosecution really had a firm idea of what actually happened? >> i think they wanted to happen what they wanted to happen, to go to their side, for the prosecution, the state. there was a lot -- the witnesses that the defense had on plus some of the prosecution witnesses, there was no doubt that they had seen what had happened. some of it was taped so they couldn't rebutte any of that. >> it was on the 911? >> mm-hmm. 911 tapes and john good calling, all of that. >> how significant were the 911 tapes? >> the lauer one was.
11:06 pm
it went through before, during the shooting and after. >> you had friends and family testifying about whose voice it was in the 911 call. whose voice do you think it was in the 911 call? >> i think it was george zimmerman's. >> did everyone on the jury kbr agree with that? >> all but probably one. >> what made you think it was george zimmerman's voice? >> because of the evidence that he was the one that had gotten beaten? >> so you think because he was the one who had had cuts, had acontributi abrasio abrasions, he was the one getting hit, calling for help? >> the witness john good saw trayvon on top of george, not necessarily hitting him because it was so dark he couldn't see and he saw blows down toward george. he knew what they were wear ing. >> the one who thought it was trayvon martin's voice on that
11:07 pm
call, do you know why? >> she didn't think it was trayvon. she just said it could have been trayvon's. >> she couldn't be sure? >> no. she wanted to give everybody absolute out of being guilty. >> but you were sure it was george zimmerman's voice? >> i was sure it was george zimmerman -- >> and everyone else was, except for are the one person? >> i think they were. i don't think there was a doubt that everyone thought it was george's voice. >> i want to ask you about different witnesses. rachel jeantel, the woman who was on the phone with the trayvon martin at the start of the incident, what did you make of her testimony? >> i didn't think it was very credible but i felt very sorry for her. she didn't ask to be in this place. she wanted to go. she wanted to leave. she didn't want to be any part of this jury. i think she felt inadequate toward everyone because of her education and her communication skills.
11:08 pm
i just felt sadness for her. >> you felt like, what, she was in over her head? >> well, not over her head. she just didn't want to be there and she was embarrassed by being there because of her education and her communication skills that she just wasn't a good witness. >> did you find it hard at times to understand what she was saying? >> a lot of the times. because a lot of the times she was using phrases i have never heard before and what they meant. >> when she used a phrase "creepy ass cracker," what did you think of that? >> i thought it was probably the truth. i think trayvon probably said that. >> and did you see that as a negative statement or a racial statement, as the defense suggested? >> i don't think it's really racial. i think it just every day life,
11:09 pm
the type of life that they live and how they're living and the environment that they're living in. >> so you didn't find her credible as a witness? >> no. >> so did you find her testimony important in terms of what she actually said? >> well, i think the most important this evening is the tt she was on the phone with trayvon. so you basically hopefully if she heard anything, she would say she did, but the time coincides with georges statements and testimony of time limits and what had happened during that time. >> explain that. >> well, because there was -- george was on the 911 call while she was on the phone with trayvon and the calls coincide. i think there was two minutes between when george hang up from his 911 call to the time trayvon and rachel had hung up. so really nothing could have happened because the 911 caller would have heard the
11:10 pm
nonemergency call that george called, heard something happening before that. >> she said that at one point she heard the sound of wet grass. did that seem believable to you? >> well, everything was wet at that point. it was pouring down rain. >> coming up next, defense attorneys mark o'mara and don west react to this juror, what she was saying. you'll also hear from the prosecution and tell us what you think. follow me on twitter right now. we'll be right back. ness. when possibilities become reality. with centurylink as your trusted partner, our visionary cloud infrastructure and global broadband network free you to focus on what matters. with custom communications solutions and responsive, dedicated support, we constantly evolve to meet your needs. every day of the week. centurylink® your link to what's next.
11:11 pm
we know it's your videoconference of the day. hi! hi, buddy! that's why the free wifi and hot breakfast are something to smile about. book a great getaway now and feel the hamptonality
11:12 pm
11:13 pm
we've been hearing as juror b-37 takes us exclusively inside the jury room, talking about what persuaded her and the rest of the jury to acquit george zimmerman on all counts. in just a few moments, all hear more. just now we're joined by mark o'mara and don west. to bring them in to what we just heard, a moment with angela cory and bernie de la rionda sitting down with vinnie politan. let's play that. >> one word to describe george zimmerman?
11:14 pm
>> murderer. >> george zimmerman. >> lucky. >> trayvon benjamin martin. >> i don't know if there's one word that can describe -- victim. a victim. >> trayvon benjamin martin. >> prey, prey -- p-r-e-y.
11:15 pm
>> the jury believed otherwise that george zimmerman was a murderer. we're joined by mark o'mara and don west. first of all, what did you think of them describing george zimmerman as a murderer? >> how dare they not accept a jury verdict. they can be upset if they want to be. but they put on their best case, and the jury still said innocent. still said self-defense, they should accept it like adults and with some sense of grace. >> what are the things you were vocal about during the trial was, what you felt were misstatements or lies and evidence that the prosecution had held back from you. how difficult was it to try this case? >> extraordinarily challenging, because of just that, it took us probably hundreds of hours to get what we should have gotten by a simple request. so we spent so much time, so much resources, limited resources trying to get what was obvious, that we've asked for repeatedly, continuing to be held until we caught them over and over and over again. >> some of the analysts said they're used to dealing with public defenders who do not
11:16 pm
experience guys like you who are going to call them on this. and public defenders who are overworked. and they're used to kind of dealing with them in that way. do you think that's true? >> they have a better opportunity to get away with that type of behavior. and maybe they have stronger cases. they had a very weak case that was based -- i think the prosecution is baseds will -- based less on the facts of the case and more on the political pressure. less on the facts of the case and more on the political pressure. >> you have no doubt that politics were at play. and did this case -- >> when the sanford police department doesn't decide to file charges and moves it over to the state insurance office who is competent to make that decision. and miss cory comes into town, disbands the grand jury and files a charge, which as it turns out she cannot prove as the jury tells us, i think some
11:17 pm
accidental pressure like politics has something to do with it. >> we're hearing this accidental interview we did. when they first went into the jury room, there were three who wanted not guilty, two who wanted manslaughter and one juror who wanted second degree murder. obviously they all came to the not guilty decision. race did not play a role, and none of the jurors played a role in this trial. that's something you believed all along? >> absolutely. i kept saying it had nothing to do with race, and race was put on top of this case, by certain people who wanted it to be a racial event. and people who created the racial intones of this case, but it wasn't appropriate. i'm so happy that the jury's able to see through that. at least ignore it. >> one of the things this jury said was the testimony of chris serino. you guys really did a masterful job of talking to on the witness stand. some of the analysts, jeff toobin said he had never seen a police officer give such favorable testimony to a defense evidence. -- witness.
11:18 pm
>> i think he was frustrated where he was put in a position where he didn't believe there was probable cause to move forward in this case. and the supervisors, again because of the political pressures on the sanford police department, demanded a photo to the state attorney's office. after nine edits of his report, then they were going to look at it and present it to the grand jury. i think that chris serino was looking at the case saying, it's not a crime, why are we moving this thing forward? >> at the end, in the last couple days, there have been demonstrations across the country. and people say that this is yet another example of the justice system not dealing with african-american males legitimately in the same way they deal with caucasian males. you actually work a lot on this issue. you just feel -- you believe there are inequalities in the system, but this is not a case where that applies? >> we have worked defending defendants in criminal cases. a large percentage of those are
11:19 pm
young black males. we know ho the system treats blacks in the system, and we know how there are some inequities, we know it better than most people. in this particular case, it's not one of those. it's not a racial event, and it's not a case that suggests that trayvon martin was treated any differently than he should have been treated because of the color of his skin. what happened that night, is that there were two people who misinterpreted each other's actions, looks as though the evidence supports that trayvon martin reacted to that misunderstanding with violence, because george was violently attacked and he was the only one violently attacked but for the gunshot. that was a misunderstanding, it doesn't make it a racial event. >> thank you for being on the program tonight. coming up, my exclusive interview with one of the jurors in the zimmerman trial. i'll ask her what she thought of george zimmerman, whether she thinks he should have gotten out of his car that night. [ whirring ] [ dog barks ] i want to treat more dogs. ♪ our business needs more cases. [ male announcer ] where do you want to take your business? i need help selling art.
11:20 pm
[ male announcer ] from broadband to web hosting to mobile apps, small business solutions from at&t have the security you need to get you there. call us. we can show you how at&t solutions can help you do what you do... even better. ♪ [ male announcer ] some question physics. some question gravity. and some... even have the audacity to question improbability. with best-in-class towing and best-in-class torque these are some of the bold, new ram commercial trucks -- built to blow your imagination. guts. glory. ram.
11:21 pm
and i have a massive heart attack right in my driveway. the doctor put me on a bayer aspirin regimen. [ male announcer ] be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. go talk to your doctor. you're not indestructible anymore.
11:22 pm
11:23 pm
welcome back. more on our 306 exclusive interview with juror b-37 in the george zimmerman trial. she's the first juror to speak publicly about what went on in the jury room, and what made up her mind that george zimmerman was not guilty. we pick up the conversation, talking about her impression of the defendant. >> what did you think of george zimmerman? >> i think george zimmerman is a man whose heart was in the right place, but just got displaced by the vandalism in the neighborhoods. and wanting to catch these people so badly that he went above and beyond what he really should have done. but i think his heart was in the
11:24 pm
right place. it just went terribly wrong. >> do you think he's guilty of something? >> i think he's guilty of not using good judgment. when he was in the car and he called 911, he shouldn't have gotten out of that car. but the 911 operator also, when he was talking to him, kind of egged him on. i don't know if it's their policy to tell them what to do, to stay in their car. i think he should have said, stay in your car, not to go see where he's gone. >> do you think george zimmerman should have been carrying a gun? >> i think he has every right so carry a gun.
11:25 pm
i think it's everyone's right to carry a gun as long as they're using it responsibly and how they're supposed to use it. >> george zimmerman did not testify, but his testimony essentially was brought into the trial through those videotapes, a number of videotapes. he walked police through a re-enactment of what he said happened. how important were those videotapes? >> i don't really know. watching the tapes, there's always something in the back saying, is it right? is it consistent? but with all the evidence of the phone calls and all the witnesses that he saw, i think george was pretty consistent and told the truth, basically. i'm sure there were some fabrications, enhancements, but i think pretty much it happened the way george said it happened. >> when george zimmerman said trayvon marten reached for his gun, there was no dna evidence. the defense said it could have gotten washed off in the rain or the like, do you believe that trayvon martin reached for george zimmerman's gun? >> i think he might have.
11:26 pm
george probably thought he did, because george was the one who knew that george was carrying a gun. and he was aware of that. >> you can't say for sure whether or not trayvon martin knew that george zimmerman was carrying a gun? >> no. >> so you can't say for sure whether or not trayvon martin reached for that gun? >> right. but that doesn't make it right. there's not a right or a wrong. even if he did reach for the gun, it doesn't make any difference. >> how so? >> well, because george had a right to protect himself at that point. >> so you believe that george zimmerman really felt his life was in danger? >> i do. i really do. >> do you think trayvon martin threw the first punch? >> i think he did. >> what makes you think that? >> because of the evidence on the t on the sidewalk, where george says he was punched, there was evidence of his flashlight and keys there, and
11:27 pm
then a little bit farther down, there was a flashlight that he was carrying. and i think that's where trayvon hit him. >> you think based on the testimony you heard, you believe that trayvon martin was the aggressor? >> i think the roles changed. i think george got in a little bit too deep, which he shouldn't have been there. but trayvon decided that he wasn't going to let him scare him and get the one over up on him or something. and i think trayvon got mad and attacked him. >> do you feel like you know for sure what happened in the altercation? and did the other jurors feel for sure that they knew what happened? >> nobody knew exactly what happened. i mean, it started at one point and ended on another point. witnesses said they heard left to right movement. other witnesses said they heard right to left movement. but the credible witnesses said they heard left to right movement. so whatever happened, i think
11:28 pm
the punch came, and then they ended up in front of the -- in back of the house. i don't think anybody knows. >> when the defense in their closing argument played that animation of what they believe happened, did you find that credible? >> i found it credible. i did. >> what did you think of the testimony of trayvon martin's mother and father? did you find them credible? >> i think they said anything a mother and father would say. just like george zimmerman's mom and father. i think they're your kids. you want to believe that they're innocent and that was their voice. hearing that voice would make it credible that they were the victim, not the aggressor. >> so in a way both sets of parents kind of cancelled each other out in your mind? >> they did, definitely. because if i was a mother, i would want to believe so hard that it was not my son that did that or was responsible for any
11:29 pm
of that. that i would convince myself probably that it was his voice. >> how critical was it for you in your mind to have an idea of whose voice it was yelling for help? how important was that yell for help? >> i think it was pretty important. because it was a long cry and scream for help that whoever was calling for help was in fear of their life. >> the prosecution didn't use the word racial profiling in the case. they used the word profiling. that was something that was worked out between the judge and the lawyers when the jury wasn't in the room. >> right. >> do you feel that george zimmerman racially profiled trayvon martin? do you think race played a role in his decision, his view of trayvon martin as suspicious? >> i don't think he did. i think circumstances caused george to think that he might be a robber. or trying to do something bad in
11:30 pm
the neighborhood because of all that had gone on previously. there were an unbelievable number of robberies in the neighborhood. >> you don't believe race played a role in this case? >> i don't think it did. i think if there was another person, spanish, white, asian, if they came in the same situation where trayvon was, i think george would have reacted the exact same way. >> why do you think george zimmerman found trayvon martin suspicious then? >> because he was cutting through the back, it was raining. he said he was looking in houses as he was walking down the road. kind of just not having a purpose to where he was going. he was stopping and starting. but i mean, that's george's
11:31 pm
rendition of it. but i think the situation where trayvon got into him being late at night, dark at night, raining. and anybody would think anybody walking down the road stopping and turning and looking, if that's exactly what happened, is suspicious. and george said he didn't recognize who he was. >> well, was that a common belief on the jury that race was not -- did not play a role in this? >> i think all of us thought race did not play a role. >> so nobody felt race played a role, none of the jurors? >> i don't think so. i can't speak for them. >> that wasn't part of the discussion in the jury room? >> no, no, we never had that discussion. >> it didn't come up, the question of, did george zimmerman profile trayvon martin because he was african-american? >> no, i think he just profiled him because he was the neighborhood watch and he profiled anyone who came in acting strange. i think it was just circumstances happened that he
11:32 pm
saw trayvon at the exact time that he thought he was suspicious. >> the prosecution tried to paint george zimmerman as a wannabe-cop, overeager. did you buy that? >> i think he's overeager to help people. like the lady who got broken in and robbed, he came over and offered her a lock for her back sliding glass door. he offered her his phone number, his wife's phone number, he told her that she could come over if she felt stressed or she needed anybody, come over to their house, sit down, have dinner. not anybody -- i mean, have you to have a heart to do that and care and help people. >> so you didn't find it creepy that -- you didn't fined it a
11:33 pm
negative? you didn't buy the prosecution when they said he was a wannabe cop? >> no, i didn't at all. >> is george zimmerman someone you would like to have on a neighborhood watch in your community? >> if he didn't go too far. i mean, you can always go too far. he just didn't stop at the limitations that he should have stopped at. >> so is that a yes or -- if he didn't go too far. is he someone prone to going too far? is he somebody you would feel comfortable -- >> i think he was frustrated with the whole situation in the neighborhood, with the break-ins and the robberies and they actually arrested somebody not that long ago. i -- i would feel comfortable having george, but i think he's learned a good lesson. >> so you would feel comfortable having him now, because you think he's learned a lesson from all of this? >> exactly. i think he just didn't know when to stop. he was frustrated, and things just got out of hand. >> people have now remarked subsequently that he gets his gun back. and there are some people that said he can have a gun, that worries them. does that worry you? >> it doesn't worry me. i think he would be more
11:34 pm
responsible than anyone else on the planet right now. >> that's the juror. she's speaking exclusively for the first time. the first juror to speak out publicly. >> coming up, more of my interview, our first look inside the jury room, what happened, juror b37 saying when they first went in to deliberate, half the jurors thought zimmerman was not guilty. the other three voted for second degree murder or manslaughter. she tells me how their minds were changed. that's next.
11:35 pm
in cities like charlotte,ing. atlanta, and chicago, we're revving people up to take a lap around the legendary nascar race track with drivers from the coca-cola racing family. coca-coca family track walks give thousands of race fans the chance to get out, get moving, and have fun... all along the way. it's part of our goal to inspire more than three million people to rediscover the joy of being active this summer. see the difference all of us can make... together. identity thieves. they can find your personal information and do some serious damage. like your birthday or your mother's maiden name. you need a new friend. lifelock. we scour billions of data points every day, and if we discover that any of your personal information is misused...
11:36 pm
lifelock is there. call us at 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today. mhandle more than 165 billionl letters and packages a year. that's about 34 million pounds of mail every day. ever wonder what this costs you as a taxpayer? millions? tens of millions? hundreds of millions? not a single cent. the united states postal service doesn't run on your tax dollars. it's funded solely by stamps and postage. brought to you by the men and women of the american postal worker's union.
11:37 pm
11:38 pm
back with more on our exclusive interview with juror b-37. she takes us inside the jury room and how jurors changed their minds. >> let's talk about how you reached the verdict. when the closing arguments were done, rebuttal was done, you go into that jury room. what happened? >> the first day we went in, we were trying to get ourselves organized, there's no instructions on what you do, how you do it and when you do it? so we all decided. we nominated a foreman so she could have the voice and kind of run the show. so everybody's not talking over everybody. and then she could say, stop, we have to -- one person at a time,
11:39 pm
we got to do this. the first day we got all the evidence on the tables and the walls. then we asked for an inventory, because it was just too time-consuming looking for evidence when it was in no order whatsoever. >> did you take an initial vote to see where everybody was? >> we did. >> where was everybody? how was that first vote? >> we had three not guilties, one second degree murder and two manslaughters. >> half the jury felt he was not guilty, two manslaughters and one second degree? >> exactly. >> can you say where you were on that? >> i was not guilty. >> so going into it once all the evidence was presented, you felt he was not guilty? >> i did. i think the medical examiner could have done a better job presenting trayvon's preserving trayvon's evidence -- they should have bagged his hands,
11:40 pm
dried his clothes, they should have done a lot of things they didn't do. >> do you feel you know truly what happened? >> i have a rendition of what i believe happened. and i think it's probably as close as anybody could come to what happened. nobody's going to know what exactly happened except for george. >> you took that first vote, you saw basically the jury split, half the jurors, including yourself, thought not guilty, two people thought manslaughter, one person thought second degree murder had been proven. >> mm-hmm. >> how do you then go about deciding things? >> we started looking at the evidence. we listened to all the tapes, two, three, four, five times. >> the 911 recordings? >> the 911 recordings, there's the re-enactment tape, there
11:41 pm
were some tapes from previous 911 calls george had made. >> the re-enactment tape, the tape of george zimmerman walking through what happened with the police? >> yes. we looked through pretty much everything, that's why it took us so long. we're looking through the evidence and then at the end we just -- we got done and then we just started looking at the law. what exactly we could find. and how we should vote for this case. and the law became very confusing. >> tell me about that. >> it became very confusing. we had stuff thrown at us. we had the second degree murder charge, the manslaughter charge, we had self-defense, stand your ground. and i think there was one other one. but the manslaughter case we actually had gotten it down to manslaughter because the second degree, it wasn't at second degree anymore. >> the person who felt it was second degree going into it, you
11:42 pm
had convinced them, okay, it's manslaughter? >> through going through the law. and then we had sent a question to the judge, and it was not a question that they could answer yes or no. so they sent it back saying if we could narrow it down to a question asking us if -- what exactly -- what about the law and how to handle it, but if they could just have -- i don't know. >> you sent a question out to the judge about manslaughter? >> yes. >> and about -- >> what could be applied to the manslaughter, we were looking at the self-defense. one of the girls said that -- asked if you can put all the leading things into that one moment where he feels it's a
11:43 pm
matter of life or death to shoot this boy, or if it was just at the heat of passionate that moment. >> so that juror wanted to know whether the things that had brought george zimmerman to that place, not just in the minute or two before the shot actually went off. >> exactly. >> but earlier that day, even a prior crime? >> not prior crimes, just the situation leading to it, all the steps -- as the ball got rolling. >> him spotting trayvon martin, whether all of that could play a role in -- >> determining the self-defense or not. >> did you feel like you understood the instructions from the judge? because they were very complex. i mean, reading them, they were tough to follow. >> right. and that was our problem.
11:44 pm
it was just so confusing what went with what and what we could apply to what. because, i mean, there was a couple of them in there that wanted to find him guilty of something. and after hours and hours and hours of deliberating over the law and reading did over and over and over again, we decided there's just no way -- no other place to go. >> because of the two options you had, second degree murder or manslaughter, you felt neither applied? >> right. because of the heat of the moment and the stand your ground. he had a right to defend himself. if he felt threatened that his life was going to be taken away from him or he was going to have bodily harm, he had a right. >> even though it was he who had gotten out of the car, followed
11:45 pm
trayvon martin, that didn't matter in the deliberations, what mattered was the final seconds, minutes when there was an altercation and whether or not in your mind the most important thing was whether or not george zimmerman felt his life was in danger? >> that's how we read the law. that's how we got to the point of everybody being not guilty. >> that was the belief of the jury, you had to zero in on those final minutes/seconds about the threat that george zimmerman believed he faced? >> that's exactly what happened. >> whether it was george zimmerman getting out of the vehicle, whether he was right to get out of the vehicle, whether he was a wanna be cop, whether he was overeager, none of that in the final analysis mattered. what mattered was those seconds before the shot went off, did george zimmerman fear for his life? >> exactly. that's exactly what happened. >> and you have no -- do you have any doubt that george zimmerman feared for his life? >> i had no doubt george feared for his life in the situation he was in at the time. >> she said she had no doubt at all. coming up, more of our exclusive interview.
11:46 pm
juror b-37 talking about whether she feels sorry for trayvon martin and the overall confrontation that took his life. >> it's a tragedy this happened, but it happened. i think both were responsible for the situation they had gotten themselves in to, i think both of them could have walked away. anyone have occasional constipation,
11:47 pm
diarrhea, gas, bloating? yes! one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against these digestive issues with three strains of good bacteria. live the regular life. phillips'. live the regular life. we know it's your videoconference of the day. hi! hi, buddy! that's why the free wifi and hot breakfast are something to smile about. book a great getaway now and feel the hamptonality
11:48 pm
i'm gonna have to ask you to power down your little word game. i think your friends will understand. oh...no, it's actually my geico app...see? ...i just uh paid my bill. did you really? from the plane? yeah, i can manage my policy, get roadside assistance, pretty much access geico 24/7. sounds a little too good to be true sir. i'll believe that when pigs fly. ok, did she seriously just say that? geico. just a click away with our free mobile app.
11:49 pm
everybody has different ideas, goals, appetite for risk. you can't say 'one size fits all'. it doesn't. that's crazy. we're all totally different. ishares core. etf building blocks for your personalized portfolio. find out why 9 out of 10 large professional investors choose ishares for their etfs. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus, which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal. more of my exclusive interview now with juror b-37 in the george zimmerman trial and how it's affected her. >> how has this been for you? how was making that decision, when you all realized, the last holdout juror has decided
11:50 pm
manslaughter, we can't hold george zimmerman to manslaughter, there's nothing we can hold him to, not guilty. in that jury room, emotionally, what was that like? >> it was emotional to a point, but after we put our vote in and the bailiff had taken our vote, that's when everyone started to cry. >> tell me about that. >> it was just hard thinking somebody lost their life and there's nothing else that could be done about it. i mean, it's what happened. it's sad. it's a tragedy this happened, but it happened. and i think both were responsible for the situation they had gotten themselves in into.in into.n into. into.
11:51 pm
i think both of them could have walked away, it just didn't happen. >> it's still emotional for you? >> it is, it's very emotional. >> can you explain the emotion? >> it's just sad that we all had to come together and figure out what is going to happen to this man's life afterwards. you find him not guilty but you're responsible for the not guilty. and all the people that want him guilty aren't going to have any closure. >> do you feel sorry for trayvon martin? >> i feel sorry for both of them. i feel sorry for trayvon, in the situation he was in. and i feel sorry for george because of the situation he got himself in. >> did you realize how big this trial had become? >> i had no clue. no clue whatsoever.
11:52 pm
>> did it make sense to you that there was this much attention on it? >> it didn't to me, because i didn't see it as a racial thing. i saw it as a murder case, as a second degree murder case. it was just unbelievable that it had gotten so big and so political -- not really political. i don't want to say that. but so emotional for everybody involved. and i never would have thought when we went over to the hotel to get all our stuff from the hotel, we got to the hotel and in the parking lot -- it was a regular parking lot. by the time we came out, it looked like disney world. there was media, there was police. and it really started to sink in when we went to get our stuff and then the state police showed up because they were going to be our escorts home.
11:53 pm
>> are you scared now? >> i'm not scared. i don't know how to say it. >> you clearly don't want people to see your face? >> no. but i don't want anybody else around me to be affected by anyone else. i mean, i'm not really scared, but i want to be cautious, if that makes any sense. >> it's understandable. >> yeah. >> but you want people to know -- why did you want to speak? >> i want people to know that we put everything into everything to get this verdict. we didn't just go in there and say we're going to come in here and just do guilty/not guilty. we thought about it for hours and cried over it afterwards. i don't think any of us could ever do anything like that ever again.
11:54 pm
>> in jeff, let me start with you. what are your thoughts? >> it was breathtaking, it's so interesting. here we are, we've been speaking for weeks what did the jury think, what did the jury think? now we know what the jury thought. how about when they went in for deliberations, it was three for acquittal, two for manslaughter, one for second degree murder. i don't know if that's surprising or not, it's very interesting. she was a very pro prosecution juror. i think the thing that surprised me most about that interview was how sympathetic she was to george zimmerman. you asked at the end, do you feel sorry for trayvon martin. she said, i feel sorry for both of them. >> you meant pro defense? >> pro defense, yes. she said i feel sorry for both of them. i mean, only one of them's dead.
11:55 pm
that was a pretty breathtaking comment. but she took her job seriously. she obviously knew the evidence well, and i can't say she was wrong on the verdict. >> paul, what do you think? as a prosecutor, what stood out to you? >> you always want to talk to jurors after a trial and this really reveals a lot of insight. we've been talking about this and watching this for weeks, what i think, and what stood out to me was she said that basically zimmerman was telling the truth and they believed his version of the story. i think that's really answers a lot of those questions, they believe it was his voice on the tape. they believe that trayvon martin threw the first punch. one of the things that stood out to me that she said was that she believed that when he pulled the trigger of that gun, he believed he was in fear for his life and that was the linchpin to analyzing all of the legal issues and the standards that
11:56 pm
they had been given that they brought back to the room to deliberate. really just fascinating to hear that, and interesting to hear her perspective and approach. and one of the things i noted as well. how sympathetic she was to zimmerman's presentation. and obviously that's who she believed and the rest of the jury believed as they heard the story. and the evidence. >> clearly -- by the way, i should point out, at the end of the interview, she said she doesn't want to do any more interviews, she doesn't want to speak again. she's hoping this will burst the bubble of pressure on the jurors to speak. and she kind of just wants to be left alone. >> she didn't ask to be a public figure, she didn't want to be a public figure. she's not selling a book deal. she's not trying -- >> that was another thing. there is a book that she and her husband have talked about writing. >> she's the one? >> yeah, she's the one, that emerged today. she said part of the reason they would like to, they don't want to profit off it, they would
11:57 pm
like the story told, she thinks they have an interesting story, her husband being an attorney, being out the outside, her being on the inside and what it was like to be on the jury. she made a big deal of stressing that she didn't want to profit from this. we didn't pay for this interview. she wanted to get her story across. we're going to be right back.
11:58 pm
11:59 pm

134 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on