Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  September 29, 2013 7:00pm-8:00pm EDT

7:00 pm
>> you loved her? >> arsenio, thank you. there is much more of my interview with arsenio. we will have it on-line for you. you can catch his new show each week night. check your local listings. it is worth it. and if you missed any of my interview with arsenio hall, we have it all for you on cnn.com. i will send the link out on social media. >> top of the hour now, time to handle the serious news of the day. the more government shut down gets talked about in washington, the more inevitable it seems and there's plenty of talk. just 29 hours left for congress to somehow cut a deal on spending and avoid the first federal shut down in 17 years. the white house put out this photo of president obama meeting with senior staff. he has been largely out of sight this weekend, though he did work in a round of golf on saturday. at the capital, late last night, house approved amend mtments to
7:01 pm
fund a bill, that republicans say would avoid a shut down. but democrats insist the bill has no chance, dead on arrival. that's the way they say it in washington. the senate doesn't plan to meet again until tomorrow afternoon. remember, government starts running out of money tomorrow night at midnight. it's been a long weekend, tough talk and debate. sampling of late night discord you may have missed at the capital at last night's debate. >> have you been high jinxed by a small group of extreme folks who simply hate this president. >> the president of the united states will talk to the dictator of teheran but won't negotiate with the house of representatives. >>. >> so come tuesday, open enrollment for obama care gets under way. and is set to run through the end of march. .
7:02 pm
is as house leaders talk about the healthcare law. also known as exchanges, many will be eligible for government help to help pay for the plans. the law for bids insurance companies from rejekding people because of resisting conditions. by 2014 every american with very few exceptions will have to have some form of health insurance or be fine. obama care is at heart of the shut down standoff. our next guest is a democrat who supports obama care, but says there's room to improve the plan. go down to democratic senator richard blumenthal. he joins me from connecticut. thank you for joining us. what would you do to change and improve obama care? >> one of the aspects of obama care that i think needs attention is its affects on businesses.
7:03 pm
increasing expenses at a time when they are recovering from the greatest recession in greatest history. there may be other areas that need improvement but the ways to address those issues are separately not to hold hostage the entire nation in effect trying to decimate a program that's been passed by congress, signed by the president, upheld by supreme court. a recent election me whe it was a central issue in the presidential race. and this kind of holding hostage is really in interest to the entire nation. kben, very bad to the economy, undercutting job growth and i think really calmer heads, common sense ought to prevail here. and hopefully, if there is a shut down, and i still have a sliver of hope that there won't be, we can come back as quickly as possible to address the
7:04 pm
issues separately from the resolution to continue the work of the government. >> talk more about that sliver of hope. what gives you that sliver. >> the sliver of hope is really for the majority of both parties. and i'm not going to try to be partisan in what i have to say, but we're talking about a very narrow fringe ideal logically extremist group in the house of representatives that has in effect refused to compromise. and they sent back a plan that they knew was doomed. they are taking the president's signature program and saying, you need to abandon it. and that kind of negotiating stance or public policy position simply is unreasonable or worse. >> they would say, senator, that is why they were elected to office to come there and do
7:05 pm
this. not not to do business the way it is traditionally done in washington. >> put aside the way business is done in washington. the way to do business is to compromise. through reasonable and sensible approaches. that's the way that i did business for 20 years as attorney general, my stave's chief elected law enforcement officer. i was law enforcer as a united states attorney beforehand. i have settled plenty of cases. there is no way to go into a negotiation and say, i'm going to destroy the president's signature program which has been passed by congress and signed bit president, upheld by the supreme court. and by the way, it will go into effect and has gone into effect already in significant part, but it will continue to function regardless of what happens in
7:06 pm
shutting down the government. in the maep time, our economy will suffer credibility and trust and government will be undercut. and economic recovery will be setback. so i'm hoping still that sliver of hope that the majority of republicans will say no to this fringe extremist ideological group that is in effect holding the nation hostage. >> all right. from your mouth, as they say, to god's ears. thank you. we appreciate it. >> thank you. >> "crossfire" will debate obama care in a spekt special weekend edition. ralph nader airing at 7:30, about 25 minutes from now. 7:30 eastern, here on cnn. next, a pastor gunned down. turns out the suspect is no stranger to the congregation. and one of the most popular television shows in history. but "breaking bad" ends tonight.
7:07 pm
what happens on the season finale in what will happen, we will talk about it. looking a back at walter white through the years, straight ahead. [ male announcer ] if your kid can recognize your sneeze from a crowd... [ sneezes ] you're probably muddling through allergies. try zyrtec® for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec® is different than claritin® because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. zyrtec®. love the air.
7:08 pm
man: [ laughs ] those look like baby steps now. but they were some pretty good moves. and the best move of all? having the right partner at my side. it's so much better that way. [ male announcer ] have the right partner at your side. consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. go long.
7:09 pm
a time of reflection turns into a moment oftert terror. if a pastor is shot dead in front of his perishiners as well as his daughter. the gunman used to be a deacon at the church. russell flores joins me with details. she saw her father die as well? >> just horrible, don. in other way to say it. it was chaotic. others were praying while this
7:10 pm
was happening. the daughter talks to our affiliate and says her father will be greatly missed. >> oh, his humor. humor. okay. in any situation, he would make sure everybody laughed, no matter what the situation is. he always brought his humor in it. he was a strong person. and whatever came his way, he still stood on the word of god. he never wavered. >> here is what she says happened about 8:20 friday night. she said her father stood up to sing the song "i know god is a good god" when one of the church members ran in to warn everyone that someone was coming into the
7:11 pm
church. that's when the first shot came, hitting a plant and her father was shot in the back, get this, falling in front of her kids. 53-year-old woodrow carry. he fled the scene, then called the sheriff's office to turn himself in. ca carry also directed police to a pistol in a wooded area. carry has no criminal history of the motive of course, still a mystery. and our affiliate asked the pastor's daughter, what would you want to know. of course she is asking, why? why would you do this? why would you do it in this way, in it front of his family. >> thank you. >> so sad. >> yes, it is. appreciate that. >> a lot of people watching wounder if it is all a big game
7:12 pm
to ejected leaders. what if it were a big game. that's next. hey linda! what are you guys doing? having some fiber! with new phillips' fiber good gummies. they're fruity delicious! just two gummies have 4 grams of fiber! to help support regularity! i want some... [ woman ] hop on over! [ marge ] fiber the fun way, from phillips'. [ woman ] hop on over! goglossophobia, is the fear of public speaking. ♪ ♪ the only thing we have to fear is... fear itself. ♪
7:13 pm
7:14 pm
some say there is a game being played in washington. cnn breaks down washington's plan with some coaching moments. >> this is the united states of america. we're not some banana republic. >> the pressure of the podium. this time offi year a spotlight and often frustration shared by politicians and football players a like. >> i'm moving forward. i'm moving on. >> i'm moving forward. moving on.
7:15 pm
>> to october 1st. the deadline it a government shoulddown. >> i intend to speak out and support obama care until i'm no longer able to stand. >> whether or not the government shuts down, obama care remains the law of the land. >> why are you in such a bad mood? >> what do you care? >> you would be in a bad mood too. what's next? >> what's next in seemingly endlesscy ply of politicians insisting they understand the public criticisms. and are here to fix it. >> this place is a mess. let's get our house in order. we are legislators. >> come after me! i'm a man! i'm 40. >> with the clock once again ticking towards shutdown, tensions are high. >> they don't come up with one single idea of how to make it
7:16 pm
better. >> if you want to crown them, then do it. they are who we thought they were. don't let them off the hook. >> any bill that defunds obama care is dead, dead. it is a waste of time. >> or is it? >> you play to win the game. >> our goal is to cut spending and protect the american people from obama care. it's as simple as that. >> hello. >> john burrman, cnn, new york. >> anticipation is high. still it is a day many fans never wanted to see come. breaking bad ends tonight. what's going to happen to walter and jesse? well talk about it, next. howdy . you're not linda. i'm filling in for officer owens. she used double miles from her capital one venture card to take an early vacation. buckle up. let's go do cop stuff. [ siren chirps ] license and venture card, ma'am. was i going too fast? oh, you'd be going twice as fast if you had double miles. [ male announcer ] get away fast
7:17 pm
with unlimited double miles from the capital one venture card. freeze! don't touch the face! can i drive? absolutely not. what's in your wallet? man: [ laughs ] those look like baby steps now. but they were some pretty good moves. and the best move of all? having the right partner at my side. it's so much better that way. [ male announcer ] have the right partner at your side. consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. go long. you work. and you want to get an mba.
7:18 pm
but going back to school is hard... because you work. now, capella university offers a revolutionary new way to get your degree. it's called flexpath and it's the most direct path, leveraging what you've learned on the job and focusing on what you need to know so you can get a degree at your pace. and graduate at the speed of you. flexpath from capella university learn more at capella.edu some kind of... this is... an alien species. reality check: a lot of 4g lte coverage maps don't really look like much at all. i see the aleutian islands. looks like a duck. it looks like... america... ish. that's a map. that's a map of the united states. check the map. verizon's 4g lte is the most reliable, and in more places than any other 4g network. trade in your old device and trade up to america's most reliable network. i've got the good one! i got verizon! that's powerful. verizon.
7:19 pm
tonight is the night that millions of television fans have been both dying for and dreading at the same time. two word, breaking bad. we will see this guy for the last time. walter white, teacher turned meth king, that really good guy who became that really bad guy in five seasons on one of the most talked about tv shows ever. >> chemistry is the study of matter. but i prefer to see it as the study of change. >> you understood what i've just said to you. >> yes. >> bone cancer. inoperable. >> maybe you and i could partner up. >> you want to cook crest crystal meth? >> that's right. >> all of a sudden he's just going to break bad. >> oh, i'm so sorry.
7:20 pm
>> no matter what happens, no more bloodshed. you know why i do this. i want security for my family. >> highsenburg. >> who is to you think i see? i am not in danger, schuyler. i am the danger. i'm in the empire business. say my name. >> highsenburg. >> damn right! >> you and your pride and your ego. >> how much is it? how big does this pile have to be? >> we're done. when i say we're done. >> that may be your best course
7:21 pm
would be to tread lightly. >> so everyone who follows "breaking bad" has a theory. can you guarantee that every one of them will be browrong. you know, after five seasons, it is over. will this be a series finale like "lost", that made a lot of people mad. or say, like "mash "? >> i don't think it'll be like "lost." i think "lost" was an overaf overarching mystery, which made people want to know what happened with it. i think this is closer to the "sopranos" where the show is more about the journey than the pay off. but the opinion on the pay off will be varied and, like everything else associated with
7:22 pm
show, passionate. >> yeah. not a dream sequence. i think "dallas" did that. >> you never want to get too i could. >> right. you say handled wrong, a finale can leave a bad taste in the audience's mouth. done right, a finale can bestow an extra element of immortality. why do you say that? >> well, they were short, due to writer's strike. it lived in "mad men's "shadow through a big part of the run. with netflix bingeing, more and more people jumped on the bandwagon. this has been a terrific show from the beginning. a lot more people are watching now than the outset.
7:23 pm
it deserves a great send off. >> you are right about the "madmen" thing. i remember "breaking bad" from the beginning and i just lost interest, because then i started watching "mad men", and the writer's strike as well. how will people on the west coast handle this. it airs at 9:00 eastern, how do you a i void spoilers on twitter and those things? >> if you don't have east coast feed, and a lot of people on the west coast watch east coast feed, so you we can watch at 6 okay. i would advise anyone on the west coast to stay away from twister until they have seen it. people will not be able to contain themselves. they will not hold back. there will be college graduate level analysis all over the internet as soon as the hour ends. >> good luck. thank you for coming on cnn.
7:24 pm
we shall see in not too long. >> a sporting event mic goes out during the national anthem. what happens next may make your heart beat a little bit faster. that's just ahead. [ sneezing ] she may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec®. powerful allergy relief for adults and kids six years and older. zyrtec®. love the air.
7:25 pm
7:26 pm
7:27 pm
it's about as american as it gets. during a soccer game, the mic dropped out during the singing of the national anthem. then the back-up mic didn't work, so the crowd sang it instead. ♪ and the rocket's red glare, bomb's bursting in air ♪ >> philadelphia won the game, by the way, 1-0 after not winning a game since august. perhaps all that patriotic spirit was just the charm the team needed. i'm con lemon in new york. thank you so much for joining us. a special weekend edition of "crossfire" begins right now.
7:28 pm
>> tonight on "crossfire", your doctor's office and your boss's bottom line. what will improve healthcare in america? on the left, stephanie cutter. on the right, se cupp. ralph nader thinks it doesn't go far enough and carly fiorina thinks it is hurting business. what's the prescription for healthcare? tonight on "crossfire." >> welcome to crossfire. i'm s.e. cupp on the left. >> i'm stephanie cutter on the right. it is a victory for millions of americans. of course, i may be the only person sitting at this table who agrees with that. >> it will be an interesting night. i think obama care is an
7:29 pm
unmitigated disaster. i think the u.s. economy and employment will be crushed under its weight. i think it is a moral hazard deguysed as social justice, and i think it's going to fail. some people might say that was the plan all along. but we'll get to that in a minute. in the "crossfire" consumer advocate, ralph nader. his latest boom is called "told ya so." he doesn't like obama care but doesn't want it repealed either. former ceo and senate candidate who thinks obama care is hurting business, carly fiorina. mr. nader, you think obama care doesn't go far enough. we will get to that. but as soon who fought for consumer protection for so long, tell me where obama care fails consumers most. >> well, first of all, it is full of trap doors. so fully implemented there will be 25 million people not covered. secondly, it doesn't control
7:30 pm
cost of hospitals, drug companies, dr. practices because it is the same fee for service process. and third, it is eformously complex to administer which of course irritates people, raises costs. develops too much uncertainty and ambiguity. having said that, if it is fully impri imimplemented, there will be full medicare for all, everybody in, everybody out. in canada they do it for half the price and businesses like it that way. >> do you think that was the plan all along? >> no. >> it wasn't. >> right from the beginning, obama dumped that option. from the beginning he was conceding to big drug companies
7:31 pm
and health insurance companies. >> let's talk about holding insurance companies feet carly, you think it takes away kpre tigs. greater transparency for the first time are, insurance companies have to tell consumers how they get to their number possess. anything other 10% they have to prove it. and they are competing against each other. how is that not competition and how does that just -- instilling competition holding their feet to the fire? >> let me start out by saying that amazingly i agree with absolutely everything mr. nader had to say, in terms of the problem with this healthcare law. let's just start by stipulate, that pl believe it or not, on the left and right, let's make sure everyone has access to
7:32 pm
affordable health care. there are lots of wayes it achieve that unfortunately, obama care won't achieve it. i, as a business executive, take evidence to the frequent charge that insurance companies were spending all of their premium money on ceo bonuses and not on premiums. i find that kind of villainous of insurance companies -- >> well no accountability of how the dollars were spent and -- >> well actually -- >> as public companies there was a great deal of transparency on how the companies were run -- >> and consumers. >> and a greater degree of transparency. >> there are companies -- >> let's go back it a comment mr. nader just made. this is written with big insurance companies, exactly right. i think ted cruz, honestly, has been irresponsible by charging a hill that he has no hope of
7:33 pm
taking. which means all that we get are casualties. but i believe that president obama and democrats are equally responsible by not acknowledging true problems. all this business is getting hurt. small business all over this country are saying, i'm lot tooling back on ambition. i'm hiring fewer people. my cost are going up. >> when the head of the irs can say, i would like to keep my plan as a government employee -- union households can't keep their -- >> businesses are impacted by this. >> oh, why they are impacted by this. >> anything 50 employees is not impacted -- >> when they have 51 they are -- >> and you know, you're a business woman. >> that's right. >> small businesses paid up to more than 25% -- >> oh my god! >> now they can pull together and compete -- >> small businesses are on the --
7:34 pm
>> they are on the same playing field -- >> what about the prospect of this. >> i think what would have been much more useful is in crafting this law, democrats would have listened to recommendations delivered to them by national federation of independent businesses, small businesses, who as you may recall, sided with attorneys generals in the states because they know this law will hurt them vastly. and who said, what we need is small business owners is competition. the most small business owners i met don't have time -- >> they are too busy running their business -- >> let me bring mr. nader in. i have a question about this promise that i want you to help explain to me. the whole premise hinges on signing up millions of young people. who for the most part did not get health insurance when it was cheap. now it is more expensive under obama care in many cases. why are we expecting millions of
7:35 pm
young people who didn't want it before to sign up now and what happens if we build it and no one comes? does this thing collapse? >> that's another uncertainty. that's another risk factor. if the young people don't go in, premiums will have to be jacked up for the rest of the people. we're twisting ourselves into pretzels. go to the business people in canada. everybody in, nobody out. they cover everybody. you have free choice of doctor and hospital. because it is government insurance and private delivery. much better outcomes in terms of saving lives and preventing injuries. and it lifts the burden from business. as former head of westin industries in canada said, why shouldn't this be a government function? insurance. why should we employers have to deal with this in. >> that means canadian companies
7:36 pm
are more competitive than american companies. when head of general motors became head of general motors usa -- >> we will get to the canadian employers in a moment. >> full medicare for you will. >> carly, you still want employers to offer healthcare to services. it is a good way of attracting good employees. >> yes. in the 20088 presidential campaign, john mccain put forward a proposal that would have acceseparated employees fr employers and made voids responsible for their own real j care. that plan was roundly criticized. but the truth is, there is no reason why an employer has spob responsible for an employee's healthcare. however, i have no faith in the federal government's ability to run anything efficiently. why are doctors leaving medicare in droves?
7:37 pm
because it is a broken system. i would have rather have individuals be responsible for buying insurance. that is something the national federation of independent businesses has been asking for years. >> mr. nader has -- >> individuals that have -- >> i don't trust the government -- >> do you? >> medicare is -- >> medicare is working well. there is fraud -- >> one person at a time, guys. >> a better exchange than the government -- >> there are many of them. >> state have the option. >> the government is trying to run -- >> those who implement the law -- >> i want under nader's answer. >> why do you have confidence that government will be able to oversee something as complex -- this is law of the labd for three years. we are still debating and trying to explain it to the american people. why do you believe the government is capable? >> this is government insurance,
7:38 pm
private delivery. in canada, s.e., they look like us. they have a system over 40 years and on every criteria it is better. efficiency, life-saving, let burd yn on industry. you know the canadian medicare bill was 13 pages. you know how many pages for obama care? 2700. unbelievable complexities, trap doors, special interest hooks and the rest of it. >> this i completely agree with in terms of complexity and trap doors. i'm a cancer survivor. the facts are these. cancer survival rates are better in this country than anywhere else. >> hundred percent accurate. >> in canada and the uk. why? emphasis on early prevention. when you get healthcare as low-cost as possible, yes, there are ways to lower cost and raise quality. but it is also true that people with complex conditions come here to be treated as a breast cancer survivor, i have a better
7:39 pm
chance of surviving in this country than canada or uk by actually wide margins. it is not accurate to say the outcomes are exactly the same. >> there is a reason. because our government spent a huge amount on medical research and development compared to all of the other governments in the world. it wasn't pfizer or hca, it was our government. massive research. other thing is this, they are better. the facts are clear. on that score. nobody dies in canada because you can't afford health insurance. >> but they wait nine and half weeks. >> no, no. >> yes, 100%. >> not for essential services. >> for specialists. >> no bigger delays whu can't pay for it. >> average wait times are three times as long. cancer mortality as carly pointed out, rates here are higher. you have better healthcare than you do as low-income canadian. why is your single pair going to
7:40 pm
work in america bet are than it is working in canada. >> first of all because people don't die in canada because they can't have health insurance. harvard medical school research and american journal of public health, 2009, 45,000 americans die every year because they can't afford health insurance to treat it at the time np is a peer review study. no one in western europe dies. you have 800 people a week dieing in this country. >> i think we would all agree, that is an abomination. it is. there are problems with the current healthcare system in united states. i don't think anyone will he can fend the current system. and obama care will become the law of the land. but for democrats to -- >> no one ever said -- >> no one has been -- >> he is open to change. >> we want to ask mr. nader more about the canadian system. the future according to ralph
7:41 pm
nader. i want you to explain what happens when i get sick, sir. r you know that family? the one whose eye for design is apparent in every detail? ♪ whose refined taste is best characterized by the company they keep? ♪ well...say hello to the newest member of the family. the cadillac srx. awarded best interior design of any luxury brand. take advantage of this exceptional offer on the 2013 cadillac srx with premium care maintenance included. you work. and you want to get an mba. but going back to school is hard... because you work. now, capella university offers a revolutionary new way to get your degree. it's called flexpath and it's the most direct path, leveraging what you've learned on the job and focusing on what you need to know so you can get a degree at your pace. and graduate at the speed of you. flexpath from capella university learn more at capella.edu
7:42 pm
...amelia... neil and buzz: for teaching us that you can't create the future... by clinging to the past. and with that: you're history. instead of looking behind... delta is looking beyond. 80 thousand of us investing billions... in everything from the best experiences below... to the finest comforts above. we're not simply saluting history... we're making it. [ male announcer ] we all have something neatly tucked away in the back of our mind. a secret hope. that thing we've always wanted to do. it's not about having dreams, it's about reaching them. ♪ an ally for real possibilities. aarp. find tools and direction at aarp.org/possibilities.
7:43 pm
welcome back to "crossfire." pretend it's 2050. obama care is failing. and we're not contemplating a singer payer solution for health insurance. let's find out what happenes. in the "crossfire", ralph nader and carly fear fiorina. mr. nader, one question i think anyone would want to know is how does it get paid for. >> by government taxes. >> i pay for it. >> just like medicare or v.a. is
7:44 pm
based on taxes. just like a lot of local and state plans are based on taxes. >> so my taxes would go up. >> they would go up but you wouldn't have to buy health insurance. in canada they never see a bill. have a medicare card like this. and prices are much lower. have you read steve bril's report. staggering reports. 15,000 times more. a hundred times more. like a wild west. >> does competition allow them to go with their feet? >> yeah, competition going up. as one hospital is left in more and more communities because of mergers because antitrust laws are involved, you can go to canada and have a lehernia repa at a hospital, best quality in the world, and it cost one-third of what a hernia cost -- >> that's the good story. plenty of son great outcomes of
7:45 pm
canadian healthcare and british and cuban for example. >> that's true. wait times are extremely long. quality of care particularly for complex case sense as good. on the other hand, i think it is fair to say, there's a lot wrong with our current healthcare system. mr. nader is absolutely right. it is too expensive. however it is important to step back and say, why is it too expensive? one of the reasons it is too expensive is because there has not been robust competition among insurance companies. there are state-run monopolies. but frankly another reason is medicare is an inefficient and ineffective program. government is usually inefficient and ineffective. >> no, wrong. no, no. >> there is a wealth of evidence that says government bureaucracies don't work very well. and talk about no transparency. what is less transparent than a government bureaucracy.
7:46 pm
>> curly, administrative cost is 3% p. aetna is 25%. >> is this why more and more doctors are exiting? why? because medicare won't cover their cost. >> because they want to make more money elsewhere. that is exaggerated. we don't have enough primary doctors. >> in order to get obama care passed -- that's true. we don't have enough primary care providers. one thing that happened to get obama care pass said that everyone who plays in the space was villainized. insurance companies are terrible people that only care about ceo bonuses. doctors only want to get rich. none of that is true. there is a lot of inefficiency in the system, absolutely right. one thing i think we should pause on. if you set aside the politics for a second, if both sides were wo focus on what is policy that's going to work, i think a lot of americans would breath a sigh of relief. i also think we need to
7:47 pm
acknowledge that one of the reasons people are so uncomfortable about obama care, even if they don't understand all of the nuances of it, is people don't trust government any more. and they don't trust government because they have seen example after example after example of government waste, government fraud, government corruption and just plain -- >> and ripping off medicare. studies of harvard show $270 billion in year of computerized fraud and abuse. >> you will never hear me defend a business that is committing fraud or being corrupt. however, i will also tell you, that you and i agree on the fact that there is no greater force for lowering prices, improving transparency and accountability than competition. there is an insufficient amount of competition in health
7:48 pm
insurance, all that. government doesn't fix that. they never do. >> they have to break up the monopolies. >> allow 50 state competition. among -- allow a small business or family to buy insurance fromfully state they want. >> health insurance companies make money bit more they deny claims. this california denying 30% of claims put forth by doctors. >> i will not argue -- i'm not going to argue the fact that health insurance companies are perfect. i agree. >> it is perverse. completely different from the industry you were in. >> i agree. the only disagreement we have, is that you believe the government takes it over. i believe that we need real expedition and we don't have that today. >> we're not talking government taking over the healthcare system. government insurance, private delivery. >> you know as well as i do, that an insurance company determines care. that's what everyone is up in arms with.
7:49 pm
as a cancer patient, i sat in a hospital and watched doctors say, i can't give you this particular treatment because your insurance company won't permit it. if government runs insurance, government will determine healthcare. that's just the facts. >> let me ask you a question, government is not running obama care. obama care is the law. a private delivery system. if i go to sign up for healthcare, i'm getting it from aetna or blue cross blue shield or united or some other private -- >> except there is a mandate to get it. >> right. i want to talk to you about the mandate. carly, you mentioned you were a breast cancer survivor. let's put emphasis on the last word, which is wonderful. part of what is the new law is trying to fix is people showing up at the emergency room without insurance. and then passing on the cost to businesses, individuals who do take responsibility for their own care. because now there is a requirement for people to take
7:50 pm
responsibility, which you know, most people have insurance, most businesses provide insurance, talking about a small amount of people, matched with a ban on preexisting conditions, we are actually lowering costs. do you agree with the agree -- one of our co-hosts, newt gingrich was behind it. do you agree with those provisions? >> i do agree with those two provisions. i think obama care remains an abomination. let me tell you why. first of all, i think no one should be denied health care because of preexisting conditions. and i think there are many more efficient ways we could have dealt with this than obama care. but let me also make this point to you. we could have subsidized high-risk pools. that's a lot less expensive than what we're doing now. >> but it actually doesn't work. >> sure, it does. let me tell you a real example.
7:51 pm
in california, there are 25,000 people whose job it is to answer the phone and tell people whether they are eligible for government provided insurance. virtually -- i happen to know this because of the foundation that i sit on, the foundation for health coverage education. it turns out that an amazingly high percentage of people who are eligible for government-provided programs like medicaid and medicare don't know it. why? because the government is ineffective at determining their eligibility. example after example after example. >> get back to the actual question that i asked. >> i answered your question. i said -- >> you think that it can be implemented? >> what i'm saying is we have now a situation in obama care where we have insufficient competition in private industry for insurance. and we have the government. >> you mentioned that -- >> playing a larger and larger role in what they will pay for. >> mr. nader, you are for the
7:52 pm
ban on preexisting conditions. >> yes, i am. >> but do not put words in my mouth. i am not for obama care. >> ending the preexisting conditions. there are some good preventative factors in 2,700 pages that will push out. the key is to transfer a little bit more power to the consumer. >> i agree with that. >> sort of on the table. we need more organized consumer involvement in health care. they're more likely to focus on prevention, for example. >> i agree with that. >> because prevention is not very profitable for the corporation. but it sure is profitable for human beings. >> is this an example of saying that obama care doesn't do anything well. >> it provides preventive care with no out of pocket facts.
7:53 pm
that is a requirement that insurance companies have to comply with now. i would think that would be a good thing. i think we'd all agree with that. why shouldn't we focus on at least one benefit instead of the gloom and doom. >> what we have here, i want to ask mr. nader one more question, if you think that single payer is the future, why not consider running on that platform for president in 2016? >> well, i already have in 2000, 2004, 2008. >> it's a different era now. >> what's interesting is for decades, single payer, otherwise known as full medicare for everybody and nobody out, free choice. supported by the majority of the american people going back to president truman. >> why not run again? >> recently a majority of doctors and nurses who want to practice medicine, not bookkeeping. >> so why not run again? i want you on the record. >> get on the run here. you going to run again or no? >> there are other people who run. i think it's going to be a multi-billionaire running in
7:54 pm
2016. i'm going to be putting out a list of potential runs. small third party candidates, they get overwhelmed by obstacles and money. >> we'll check in with you later. >> yeah. it will be a good program. >> thanks to ralph nader and to carly fiorina. next we cease fire. yes, there's one thing we both agree on, believe it or not. so you can explore a new frontier and a different discipline. get two times the points on travel and dining at restaurants from chase sapphire preferred. so you can be inspired by great food once again. chase sapphire preferred. so you can. goglossophobia, is the fear of public speaking. ♪
7:55 pm
♪ the only thing we have to fear is... fear itself. ♪ ♪ [ sneezes ] you're probably muddling through allergies. try zyrtec® for powerful allergy relief. and zyrtec® is different than claritin® because it starts working faster on the first day you take it. zyrtec®. love the air.
7:56 pm
7:57 pm
tonight on "crossfire", we're been debating health care. let's call a cease fire. is there anything we can agree on? >> i think we both agree, single payer, no bueno. >> i have issues with it. i think we need to let the current law be implemented and see if it works. stop this doom and gloom. >> okay. >> the debate continues online. from the left, i'm stephanie cutter. >> i'm s.e. kup. join us monday for another edition. man: [ laughs ] those look like baby steps now. but they were some pretty good moves. and the best move of all? having the right partner at my side. it's so much better that way. ♪ [ male announcer ] take the next step. consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company.
7:58 pm
like all standardized medicare supplement insurance plans, it helps pay expenses that medicare doesn't cover and lets you choose or keep any doctor who accepts medicare patients. call or go online and request your free decision guide. use this guide to help you choose from a range of aarp medicare supplement insurance plans. have the right partner at your side. consider an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan. go long. [ sneezing ] she may be muddling through allergies. try zyrtec®. powerful allergy relief for adults and kids six years and older. zyrtec®. love the air.
7:59 pm

58 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on