Skip to main content

tv   Book TV  CSPAN  July 21, 2013 3:00pm-4:16pm EDT

3:00 pm
>> i'm sure that many of you have been working on this issue know how it works. individuals who are in trailers or command centers, one is in the southwestern united states. they drive to work every day and make it into the operating of the aircraft in the skies of pakistan or yemen and they engage in work they are where
3:01 pm
they are playing with what is essentially a videogame in error. but the people that are being targeted are real people. i know a drone pilot and he told me when he gets into his car as he drives off the base after having been involved with operations, there is a sign when he leaves that this buckle up. this is most dangerous part of your day. meaning that he has a greater likelihood of getting hit in a car accident than of being killed, even though other countries around the world habits. jones up have an essential component of what the obama administration calls a counterterrorism strategy and has been a dramatic use an escalation of use in drone strikes. the u.s. is very much building up its covert action capabilities on the front of
3:02 pm
that. when i was on airport on my way here i ran into a young guy said that he was going to deployment and he said that i'm going to a place in the u.s. has taken over a military base there. out of that phase the u.s. africa command also has paramilitary and joint commanders that use it as a staging ground to run operations into somalia and elsewhere. they trained forces from ethiopia and uganda in the u.s. is contemplating building another drone-based where they will be targeting a group called al qaeda and you also have a base in ethiopia and the relatively new base on the arabian finance law in saudi arabia. i think we are going to see an
3:03 pm
intensification of covert u.s. actions certainly in africa. we havarti seen it happen here in yemen. we are living in a the moment where we have a popular democratic president who is a constitutional lawyer by trade in training and who won the nobel peace prize and campaigned to reduce the excesses of the bush era and he would close on time of day, what and torture, which shut down this around the world. but what happened is that many of the most egregious aspects of the apparatus that was built up by bush and their cohorts had been intensified or continued in some of them have been rebranded and there is an attempt to legitimize policies that i think many liberals had opposed to john mccain would've won that election. but because of it being
3:04 pm
president obama, he is getting a free pass and we don't have anything even vaguely resembling a credible challenge to these policies because the democrats have checked their conscience at the door and they're asking he questions about how far we have come since 9/11. you know in the week after september 11 after those attacks, congress passed a bill called the authorization for the use of military force and basically what that it is a debate going check to the bush administrations way to wage a globalist war. it offered any country that it didn't have a connection to al qaeda or the 9/11 attacks, they could hunt down any individuals who are even slightly connected to the 9/11 attacks and that is still the law the president obama and his administration's site when they are bombing people in yemen. in some cases targeting
3:05 pm
cobblers. how was a toddler responsible for 9/11? how are they still using not law? it was a blank check and still being used to this day another is discussion about making it permanent. president obama said in his second in our village us that he didn't want the u.s. to live in a state of perpetual war. but his policies indicate that he exactly once, he wants us to be in a perpetual state of war. but there is only one member of congress who voted against this. imagine what that must've been like. we all remember what it was like in those days after 9/11, fear and hysteria gripping the country and it was this one member of congress, barbara lee of california, and she stood up and i think young people should watch that speech and you can find it online because she was trembling when she gave that
3:06 pm
speech. imagine the courage that took her to stand up. what she said is that we cannot repeat engage in retaliation and actions that are going to undermine our democratic principle. and we cannot wage a war that doesn't have an endgame. and she was right. she was so prophetic in the same way that the lone senator lies, he saw something that so many on capitol hill were too blind to notice or willfully chose to embrace. a massive rollback of our civil liberties. to have the courage to ask tough questions at a time when there are calls for mob violence takes real backbone and courage and we are in one of those moments today.
3:07 pm
when you have the courage to that actually is where you are having a principle that is detested. you have an expansion of the drone strikes the use of secret prisons not being run by the caa, but being run by other governments and their human rights abusing forces we are shipping prisoners off to be tortured in prisons in countries like somalia and the basement of this national security service and i have documented this i traveled to mogadishu, and here is under president obama, we started using somalia's where we
3:08 pm
are interrogating prisoners and we have operators and military individuals, some who have been snatched off the streets and countries. one was a guy that was snatched out of his home and taken to the wilson airport and shackled and hooded and then flown to somalia where he was put in a bug infested prison with no access to light or the access the world outdoors, that actually happened under president obama. one obvious government, they said that that is right. and they said why when we do that. it is natural that we we want to cooperate with them. most merchants wonder the impression that obama issued these executive orders that he would be dismantling it and not rebranding it as a more legitimate form of running the same program, but that is
3:09 pm
largely what has happened and conditions continue under president obama. assassination has been normalized as a central component. it has been normalized by this president is a central component of what is called a national security policy and i think many would've been up in arms if john mccain would have asserted the right to kill american citizens without charging them a crime and they are not on active battlefield shooting against american soldiers. but when president obama did it there were three u.s. u.s. citizens killed in a to eat. machen fall 2011, there were two responses in washington. silence or enthusiastic support in hell agree clinton sounded exactly the john mccain her statement that she issued. 70% of self identified liberals support drone strikes and the support for those strikes dropped only negligibly when the
3:10 pm
target was an american citizen and i think we are at a moment where we crossed the line it's going to be very difficult to roll it back, particularly when there is no credible opposition or even credible questioners of the policies on capitol hill and we recently had a hearing on drone strikes untargeted hearings in one of these hearings, there was a young gentleman that i have met in yemen and he is a very impressive young man than he has been invited to testify in front of the u.s. senate and six days before he came to the u.s. to testify, his families village have been bombed in the drone strike and he live tweeted and then he comes in for the u.s. congress and we have this opportunity for someone to explain what the impacts of the strikes would be. not just war the stability of yemen, but for our own. what happens when intelligence turned out to be bad and we
3:11 pm
actually killed a group of teenagers because we have categorized them as military age males. he gave a very eloquent statement. then for the next two hours instead of asking him questions, relevant questions, democrat and republican senators alike asked three academics were sitting next to him who could have watched the commerce any day of the week theoretical questions and basement unless minutes discussing whether it should be a drone classification or that of a uav. they could have answered many questions about the impact of the strikes are having for its i don't put all of this on president obama. a lot of it also on congress. when military figures who are capitol hill, congress members want to know if we are winning. then they will want to have metrics to define it. and it's such a deceiving question. so how many terrorists have we killed bridwell, we are doing
3:12 pm
something in yemen and pakistan now that are too kind of drone strikes. one is where you have a known individual and have decided you're going to take him out. so here he is, he is a personality that the u.s. finds and they want to take them out. he's one of the individuals it was killed 2009. but in certain regions of pakistan and yemen, any military age male in those areas who have even a remote connection to someone at the u.s. has flagged as a potential terrorists, maybe they delivered food to a certain house, maybe they were on a phone call someone, but that
3:13 pm
individual is within another group of middle-aged males, the u.s. has to preemptively kill them. it's like the movie minority report. we are killing people intentionally and this is important to listen to the details here. we are killing people intentionally whose identities we do not know. and against whom we may not even possess how they are involved with criminal or terrorist plots. that is murder. when you say that this group of young men, because of their age and where they live in because someone has been on the phone with somebody that we think is a terrorist, that we are just going to say that they are terrorist until then. i've been on the ground examining the aftermath of not just the drone strikes. and i have come to the firm belief that the united states is now creating more enemies than it is killing actual terrorists are people that are plotting against the united states. there will be blowback for these
3:14 pm
policies we are giving people a legitimate reason to avenge the best of their loved ones were the instructions of their livelihood and that is such a great thing to realize about your own country. to realize that after i heard for the 15th or 20th time, someone in a different country, i heard it in somalia, someone said to me, i used to think very differently about the united states. i see you as the terrace now. none of us love al qaeda, none of us want them in our territory. but what we want less of it is you and the drones and we are encouraging people to adopt the mentality. we ignore policy at our own peril. it is shameful that the only people that really have to pay attention to what is going on in these wars are military families who have loved ones deployed in
3:15 pm
a think about it every single day. they worry that their son or daughter will come back in a body bag and so many people go about their business. the real housewives of new york, that is reality television, and the real widows of baghdad, they may not even be mentioned at all in the newspaper. [applause] we destroyed iraq. we created a reality were suicide bombings are normal part of life in iraq and rebuild the largest embassies in the history of civilization are. a massive colonial fortress and the cia is once again ratcheting up its activity inside of iraq and special operations teams are returning. that war has not ended. except for now we have the added
3:16 pm
reality there is sectarian violence in a constant state of war and then you have the u.s. during hunting operations inside the country. in afghanistan as we draw down the conventional presence, you will see an intensification of special ops teams that will continue down the list. we don't even know who we are killing anymore. and in afghanistan we killed so many senior commanders of the taliban i wonder how the organization still exists if you're to believe the u.s. press releases. i don't know how many times we have till the number three man in al qaeda. another number to guy has been killed 11 times this year. he was killed a couple of weeks ago before he issued an audiotape referencing current events. when you are not sure who you're killing from the people you're targeting i like local farmers to organize an uprising because
3:17 pm
you happen to be in the valley and it's time to really rethink what you are doing in these countries. it's not the president obama is a more militaristic mindset. they were doing some awful unconscionable actions every moment of their time in office. [applause] >> that is the easy one to oppose. what is it the president obama is doing? is a democrat that has doubled down on a lot of the policies and the thing that is most damaging about it is that it actually seems to have stuck is a good idea in the minds of many liberals and i people will look back and act how were we so silent when the republicans were doing this a few years earlier. [applause]
3:18 pm
we crossed a serious line, for me, on september 30, 2011, with how far we have come since the 9/11 attacks and president obama was faced with a decision of whether or not to execute a u.s. citizen who have not been charged with a crime and against whom no public evidence had been presented. obama had decided that he wanted him taken out it was only a matter of choosing the time of day and he did not waver the decision. he served as the prosecutor and the trial happened through leaks in the media. not just him, but the other american citizen that was with him. now, i think that he said this is reprehensible.
3:19 pm
he called for the assassination of an individual and he praised the massacre at fort hood, texas and they shot up more than a dozen other soldiers and he called upon the u.s. military to engage in similar actions. yet met with the underwear bomber, this deranged nigerian kid and i mourn even for the sake of argument to concede that every wild allegation made by those in the press is true about the mandalas the terrace in our
3:20 pm
society. no society is how you treat the most prosperous citizens. you are just about how you treat the reason our society i think that this speaks to where we are and he was born in new mexico. i remember seeing him on television and i tried to book them. i was a producer at the time and i try to book him on the show because he was speaking in a way -- his voice was such an important part of the dialogue. he said the united states didn't
3:21 pm
have a right to come into the country and arrest those having to do with 9/11. but he did talk about those with taxi drivers and the rounding up of those for questioning in the opening of the guantánamo prison in cuba and he was sort of helping big corporate media outlets, "the washington post", "new york times" conyers on top of the nation and npr. he was so accepted that he was invited by the pentagon to give a lecture inside the pentagon at a luncheon about the state of islam and the world. just to give you an idea of how bad intelligence wise. among the sandwiches they serve, he had bacon on it. so no wonder it went so
3:22 pm
swimmingly. [laughter] anwar al-awlaki was a guy who didn't come from a radical family. his parents are upstanding and amazing people. his dad is one of the most respected academics and he had come to the united states on a fulbright scholarship and created department of agricultural engineering with american officials in yemen and his wife tried to solve the crisis in this country. he was a guy who is radicalized by the u.s. authorities abroad and a at home. eventually he leaves and goes to yemen which is his family's homeland and he starts recording sermons on cds and audio tapes. it has become very popular around the world. and then they start to talk about terror investigations.
3:23 pm
he says that these speeches are going to incite individuals to commit acts of terrorism and so the united states colludes with the yemeni regime to arrest anwar al-awlaki on trumped up charges and he's put in prison for 18 months. seventeen were in solitary confinement. investigators say it was clear that the united states had played a role in his imprisonment. from my reporting on it was john negroponte who was the director of national intelligence and knows a lot about dirty wars but he was a major player in view and not. but negroponte had a meeting in washington on anwar al-awlaki was in prison with a senior official who is pressing the u.s. to allow him to be
3:24 pm
released. so he tells this yemeni official that the u.s. wants him in prison for four or five year so that people forget about about it. and that is why he remained in prison. he comes out of jail a completely changed man, completely radicalized. he starts a blog and begins taking on discussions about the teachings and the u.s. is putting pressure on the head of yemen's intelligence before four-hitter anyone alleges that this was anything, they told his family but if you don't get him back in prison where he is not charged with any real crime, you americans will kill him in the german strike. so the father of anwar al-awlaki
3:25 pm
says he is telling him this and he says, what are you, you are you an american agent. i will not let the americans tell me which way to position this. so he leaves his family with his parents and he goes on the run. and the u.s. tried to kill him more than a dozen times by my count. the first time they hit a village based on intelligence it wasn't a drone strike, it was a missile attack. in this village, when we were there, we had the manufacturer by general dynamics and they were made in the united states and one of was very important
3:26 pm
and this includes the group that had been analyzed by that person and these are only going by the united states. the yemen government knew that this was a possibility and they had attacked al qaeda base and killed 34 terrorists and the usa congratulations to the yemeni government and we know now from the general, he had gone to yemen, and general petraeus come and have hatched a plan to start bombing the country and have yemeni government take responsibility for the strike. at one point in time, according to the wiki leaks table, the deputy prime minister joked that i just lied to the parliament told them that it was our attack
3:27 pm
and they laughed about it. and the president of yemen said that you can continue to bomb as long as we can see the bombs are yours and not ours. so the president initiates the strikes and at times using special operations team to hunt people down in one of their main targets was anwar al-awlaki. so osama bin laden gets killed in may of 2001, and in the u.s. tried to intensify the drone strikes. a very narrowly miss killing anwar al-awlaki. then a few months later they find him on the location in northern yemen where i started my story, and then they have this choice. so while he is there, his son is being raised by his grandparents and they want to send him to the united states for college and he has just turned 16 years old.
3:28 pm
he is into hip-hop and comic books and he is six years old and he decided he wants to see his father and find his father that he hasn't seen for years and feels that he is crossing a line and he sneaks into his mother's bedroom one morning and he goes into her purse and steals the equivalent of $40 and then goes to the bus stop and he takes a bus to where their family's roots are. and the scene of repeated strikes and he hopes that his father will come and find him. while he's there waiting, his father is killed somewhere where the u.s. has never known before. it was kind of surprised that he was there and so he gets killed. there was a sort of celebration in washington and one republican congressman said that if he wasn't also a target, then it was a bonus, a twofer and the
3:29 pm
citizens, neither who have been charged in the crime, the only people that had anything in washington and opposition to this were the usual suspects. they were the only two people that said anything about it. i'm not so he gets killed and then his son is stuck in this village and there's an uprising going on in the roads are blocked and his grandparents are saying that your father is dead, this is overcoming have to come back. and he said yes, i will come as soon as the roads clear, but i have to wait for that to happen. so he had to wait a couple of weeks. and he's having dinner with some young people from their tried and they are sitting at a restaurant on a drone appears above them and fires a missile and blows them up. blows the kids up. the obama administration has never, ever explained why that
3:30 pm
kid was killed. was he killed because his last name happened to be the same as anwar al-awlaki? because no one ever provided evidence that that had anything to do with terror. if you look at his facebook page went up to the moment that he died, this was a perfectly normal teenager who appeared to have nothing in common with his father. the kid is killed with his teenage cousin and a u.s. military official weeks that he was 21 years old and the family produces his birth certificate so he proved that he had just turned 16 result, then they produced a list of the debt, proving that he was with teenagers and his cousin. and they said oh, he was let a propaganda person for the arabian peninsula. so who is really the target and not strike? when harry reid was on cnn, the senior democrat in the senate,
3:31 pm
and orders authorized by the constitutional law professor the united states, he is on cnn he is asked by kenny crowley about the killing of these american citizens and he says that there were three americans that deserve to be killed, it was those three americans. so i went after harry reid's office and i demanded why did anwar al-awlaki deserved to be killed. and then the former white house press secretary when he was serving as a senior circuit in the 2012 oh on a campaign can use the chief spokesperson and he was asked by a young reporter about the killing and she said he was killed with no due process and you should have had a more responsible process.
3:32 pm
he should be ashamed of himself and he shouldn't be able to hear on public without someone why he was okay with that statement. the only time they will actually speak about it is on the google hang out or something. it is a true story and it was someone who oversaw this. finally he agreed what happened. and it's like, okay, fine.
3:33 pm
but he was a senior obama administration official and he told me that when president obama was told that the kid was killed, that he was extremely upset. the sky was mentioned alone in what was more interesting at the time the senior adviser that brennan believed it was an intentional hit. that he had intentionally killed that kid perhaps based on false intelligence and they didn't believe it could possibly be a coincidence. so they ordered a review. and i said to be official, what happened with the review and he said i don't know, never saw it. and i called the white house and they said they wouldn't comment to me on it and they would not confirm or deny if there was a review done in its there was one done, it they couldn't confirm
3:34 pm
or deny. but this is all a misunderstanding and i'm sure was an outrageous mistake, and they said, well, that is your assertion that is what don juan was. so why not say it then. why not just come forward. because it looks like you kill the killed the guy's kid because he was a kid. and i think it is hard to wrap our heads around how this can be a coincidence. and he said look at it this way, we have just killed three u.s. citizens and didn't look good and it was embarrassing, that was a direct quote. the reason they won't explain this is because it would've been politically embarrassing? i mean, what planet are we living in right now? i don't care if someone is in american or pakistani and it should be no different than our outrage when others are killed. it doesn't matter what citizenship you are. but for me, the principle is that we are willing to do this to our own citizens and willing
3:35 pm
to cross the line and deprive the citizens of their most basic liberties and the right to respond and see the evidence against you and have a trial, if we are willing to snatch that away and say for certain kinds of people we agree that they can deliver citizens justice, we should stop saying that we are the shining city on a hill. we should say that we sometimes encourage mob violence and killings and that is what this is. and if we do at our own citizens, how are we going to treat pakistani people or yemenis versus small inns are afghans. i mean, these are serious questions that need to be asked of this administration. the democrats are not asking them. even people like rand paul. my, goodness. i have to find something that i agree with him on and i can't find it.
3:36 pm
i think that he deserves credit with asking those questions. i didn't do the whole thing, because i don't understand. i actually think it is embarrassing. for a third of that day, some of the most famed discussions happen on the floor of the senate with people in the congressional record and named anwar al-awlaki was said multiple times. for the first time on c-span and on the floor of the u.s. senate. and the others were the carnival of crazy. michelle bockman inspired. the tea party magazine in montana, pure craziness. and i think part of what happened is you have the scary
3:37 pm
black man president, that sort of motivates their fear. if someone actually makes the horde mistake of putting her in power, she will be a major lover of jones. if obama loves jones, you don't. but the point we are making is we don't have serious people asking serious questions in congress and the stuff goes on unchallenged and these guys are going to look back someday when they tried to challenge this stuff and the republicans will have a field day. were we when your guy was doing a? i mean, sitting there flyfishing from having, having a nice little talk about the obama presidency, saying, thank goodness he cleaned it up for us because we will be able to continue it the next time you come in office. i want to wrap up so we can have some discussion and questions and interactions here. what i have seen the course of
3:38 pm
my investigation over these years is where we have smalley were lowered on our payroll that are being paid to hunt down people that may or may not be attached to some militant organization. we are increasing our use of joint strikes and we continue to work with mercenary companies under the obama administration. they have rebranded and they are still on the table. these armies are still operating under president obama. continued use, guantánamo remains open. men who have been cleared for release languishing in prison that obama plan would be shut down. how much has actually changed what it has come to counterterrorism operations and the condition of the u.s. and the world? engaged in regime change in libya and open the door for
3:39 pm
radical groups that i guarantee will someday come back around to hit the united states is a total repeat of what happened in afghanistan in the 80s were you ever shortsighted goal and then you have the long-term consequences from the very people he supported as a major short-term interests. we are the least credible broker in the middle middle east right now. second only to israel. [applause] >> how are we going to intervene when we have destroyed this neighbor? we are helping along with the saudis and iranians and the turks and we are fueling the sectarian war in syria and we already have intervened on the side of instability. we are part of the problem in syria right now. he was a brutal thug and he was an ally of the united states and they were sending people to be
3:40 pm
torture on behalf of the united states. he was about to abandon it without now. but so is his opposition group that the other groups are supporting. we need to stop this and we are doing in the middle east. i certainly did, but when "the new york times" ran was to the kids killed in newtown, connecticut shooting, ecb ages, digital, seven years old -- it just crashes you. journalist we talked about those whose lives and the three kids with hiding in the closet. i'm sure all of us are members some story from us and if you
3:41 pm
don't know his name, i guarantee you have seen his face and he was carrying the double amputee cross around his leg to stop the bleeding. it went viral on facebook for he was killed that day and there is a graduate student that was killed and another from china and there was a blog post that went viral it was a woman who had died for american consumers
3:42 pm
i think there are lessons to be drawn from that we needed the story of what happened and it is before their parents were taken away. it is harder to dehumanize the other we can be an apathetic society of americans. it is the sense of community and
3:43 pm
we have a moral obligation as residents or citizens on the most powerful nation on earth. it is being done in our name and with our money and it will ultimately affect our stability. our challenge is actually quite a simple one, but it is a bold move. especially those and the next time someone uses this phrase, you have a real story to tell them. that is our challenge. thank you so much. [applause] [applause]
3:44 pm
>> there are microphones here and i thank you. you want to play phil donahue? okay, let's try that. so we have learned that there are some that are financially wealthy and there was an op-ed and we were raised on a decision that was critical of the brothers. now, is it these are networks
3:45 pm
that are independent and fearless in the coverage that they provide. are these also against journalists were truly independent in every sense of the word? journals such as your self? what can we do to help with independence. because the work that you do is amazing. >> i think that the white house and the justice department -- i think that the targeting of the associated press and they did a wide sweep against him. it is about the vaulting classified information in this in yemen, this bomb plot. it was part of a much larger front of the associated press, some of the best reporting.
3:46 pm
the reporters are top-notch reporters. they are top-notch and major powerful news outlets and i think that they were targeted because they were getting too close to our wiki leaks and white house leaks and wiki weeks is what they want you to be told because it fits their political agenda. john brennan is a major leaguer. so much bs that was floated e-mails are being intercepted and they are being served and their phone records are being seized. i don't have any love in my heart for fox news, but what they did for this reporter is shameful. they try to criminalize the
3:47 pm
process of being an actual reporter. this is in the journalism community. it used to be the case that i have used in an encrypted e-mail with sources. i'm talking about sources within government. you basically have to communicate with the sources and no one wants to communicate and outweigh. it used to be that you have someone break into the offices of a reporter. you may or may not find out until years later and when you take that and combine it with war on whistleblowers, people like thomas drake who is an nsa official who blew this, ruining his career, that man was now
3:48 pm
working on an apple center when you take the war on journalism and you look at how he was a former cia operative is in prison right now, josé rodriguez, is on a book to her and that says a lot about where we are in this country. to look forward not backward step. in the case of the brothers, money talks. they are incredibly powerful and a nefarious force almost every
3:49 pm
plot in this country. >> it could be deputy young or anyone. >> it's already. >> yes, you qualify. you think you. [laughter] remapped listening to everything you are talking about and everything you have seen happen in continuing this is wonderful. it is very easy because our political leadership has been sold, the military -- they have a populace that handed over our civil rights with the patriot act and continuing.
3:50 pm
my question to you is in your work and research, have you been able to donate conclusions include invulnerability in the system and machine. because i don't feel like we can go and i am interested at what your points are. >> yes, i don't think anything will ever change in our society unless we confront and expel corporations from the electoral process. members of congress serve two-year terms and they probably spend 18 to 20 months of those two-year terms raising funds and who are the biggest donors? if you look at this, it is a remarkable study and i bet a lot of people just assume they get most of their money to
3:51 pm
republicans. when the winds are blowing the democratic direction, to give more money to democrats and the democrats and a few republicans in and you have a situation where they literally are like this. i was talking to a friend from a different country recently and we were at a gathering with nancy pelosi. he said to me that i'm on nancy pelosi to see your movie. and i said, well, what if you raise the $100,000 and paid them to watch movie and he says, we can get out of my country, we can figure out a way to get them to go do that. and the corruption here is actually formalized. you know, we could give it to her campaign. it is to give sure to watch the movie. and that is just the point. that is how the politicians that just get bankrolled or big oil or energy -- what incentive do
3:52 pm
they have? they are representing their paymasters and so the best chance that we have is the legislation on campaign finance reform and it would've been a step towards it. when obama opted out of public funding it basically destroyed us and then they went toe to tell with private fund-raising against obama and that is pretty much crushed in. so i do think that some segment of our society has to make it their business to try to change that aspect because all of that is just speeches that are given. so it is money that talks and money runs the system. so it is something that is a bleak situation. we will switch back and forth.
3:53 pm
>> okay. >> you have talked about the military drones, but there are also drones against men in this country, which is probably one of the most egregious cases where the use undercover provocateurs and eight use a lot of secret testimony and these are here in the states, in new jersey with the person who is now governor of new jersey who is the district attorney that prosecuted them. there has been many cases and
3:54 pm
discussions about how this is unjust and this includes imprisoning of the japanese in world war ii. >> yes, don't you think that is also unjust, is unjust as overseas? >> estimate the fbi has shown its own terror plots and it has happened repeatedly and i'm saying that seriously. there is a pattern here. sometimes it is mentally tapping into that stability and there's a number of cases where the individual to go to prison for a long time actually are people who have serious mental challenges and the fbi will infiltrated and in some case they seem to be the ones encouraging them or that they
3:55 pm
would become radicalized and they have an fbi informant who pops onto the scene in the next thing you know they have an actual plot underway and they are setting people up and part of it is creating this climate of fear and the demand for results and in what is happening at home is deeply connected to what is going on abroad and so many muslims have been railroaded and demonize and set up an there aren't active terror plots, it's not that there aren't terror plots, there are, but we shouldn't be breaking up our own terror plots. that says something very dark about law enforcement and it relates what you're saying. i am very concerned about the paramilitaries nation of law enforcement in the u.s. serious concern where you have part of the issue, it is about the domestic use of drones and the municipalities that are getting together and trying to ban the use of drones.
3:56 pm
but it is much deeper than that. if you have the wars in iraq and afghanistan and everything sort of moving towards these tactics, look in boston when they were hunting down this, this looks like special operations and certainly in poor communities especially communities ofcolor, people have been facing this for years where urban areas are effectively war zones and night raids are a part of life just as they are in kandahar, afghanistan. when you combine that with the law enforcement and everything is being militarized in boston in connection with the marathon bombings and someone to talk about enemy combatant and this
3:57 pm
knee-jerk military reaction to things is a crises and not something that we really have to confront in our society. but it really threatens our democratic distance and everything becomes a paramilitary solution. it is very serious of a problem. going to be at her side. >> we are making an effort to get back to the back as well. >> i heard reports this morning that there is a discussion on the transparency of the program. i heard that this morning. so is there information about the drone program, to what extent they are covering up the struggles between cia and the cia and the pentagon and those in the white house. and to what extent it has been.
3:58 pm
this is sort of a dog and pony show. >> yes, they talk about john brennan like he is a priest, he is like saint augustine, he is just toiling over this. so obama actually said that we don't deny that praises torture. and then years later, it is just ran upon the crazy parade opposing him the military has been running a parallel drone program for the duration and in
3:59 pm
yemen they operate on. so it is intended to give the perception that this is going to continue as business as usual. actually think it could make it worse, have less oversight, there are some actual tough questioners on the senate armed services committee have largely been part of covert action and i think it is kind of propaganda and it is just old wine in new bottle. ..
4:00 pm
>> led me defend myself. if we don't all realize that we are complicitous then we are whistling past the graveyard. reduplicate placentas. >> i respect that. up back. [applause] >> admire your spirit. >> what will queue up to this?
4:01 pm
>> can someone remove the press get tough question? i always love that when officials do that. they say, the first amendment great. the exit is right there the paramount. i -- you said what will be up to this, i'd remember hearing any deadline on the radio for the first time. i wanted to be a teacher. i have never taken a journalism class in my life. i heard amy goodman on the radio and said, i want to do that. so i started stocking her appetite in a non creepy way. i started writing letters and asking her if she had a cat to mileage feeder cattle walk your dog or washer windows and she eventually had to decide whether to get a restraining order, let me, and volunteer. i started off and radio and learned it is a trade. my early work now called voices
4:02 pm
for creative non-violence. there were symbolically breaking the sanctions by bringing in medical supplies have been banned by the it u.s. and it just opened my eyes. i couldn't believe what was being done in our name. i was not an investigative reporter at all. i was a kid with a tape recorder. much of what i did was go and ask people to tell me their stories and then tried edited into a cudgel narrative so that we could say here is this person , this mother and hospital. she has just given birth to a baby that has a gaping hole that stretches from nose to throat. the doctors as saying that is the result of the munitions that were used during the gulf war that had depleted uranium in the much of my early work was about listening to people who lived on the other side of the borough of the gun. i never looked back. that is why want to do and felt like it was so important for people in this country to have names and faces on the other side of the story. that's what has driven me.
4:03 pm
there are so many people that i think about every day that i have met along the way that humble me. he is in prison in part because president obama is keeping that. convicted on trumped up charges of being a member of al qaeda in a court set up by the dictator of yemen to prosecute journalists for crimes against the state. and when the president is going to pardon him news leaked in the yemeni media that this was going to happen. president obama that day called the dictator of yemen, he personally called the men said that the u.s. wanted to remain in prison. and he has been in prison for three years. he was a well-known journalist to did work for the "washington post," abc news and was up fiercely independent guy was very critical and a tough interviews with the leaders. he was a real journalist, in prison because of our constitutional law professor president. you ask me why i do what i do. if you like my book, is dedicated to journalists imprisoned for telling the truth
4:04 pm
and those who died in pursuit of the church. and then the last line of my book, should be set free. and so i mean i try to do my work in the spirit of and famous journalists who don't get invited to give speeches that are broadcast on c-span or don't get to go on the show or never, those are my heroes, the people that keep me going. [applause] >> i have a quick question with a long answer. can you tell us something about what your investigations have shown as to israel's involvement in dirty words, drawn worse? either as a model or as, you know, a producer? >> israel was a trend setter. i mean, the israelis model with these assassination ops really is with the u.s.-based this program on.
4:05 pm
and you know, israel and the united states are deep in bed together and all sorts of covert actions around the world. the u.s. gives tremendous military support to the israelis. i would recommend that people watch this film. interviews with former heads. it's a flop movie but an important one. they describe the people that were running vico program. what the end result of it has been. this is a pretty sobering remark that they make. israel and the fact that it possesses hundreds of their weapons that no one is allowed to talk about. a scientist blew a whistle the nuclear program, that put him in prison and drove him insane. and the analysis one ever talk about the israeli nuclear program. there's a reason why other countries want a clear weapons, and deterrents against israel. i think if there is going to be
4:06 pm
an attack on the iranians it will be is live up to five israeli-lead. there is a lot of reason to suspect that israel has been involved in the assassination. as of now that anything has been definitively proven, but someone is telling iranian nuclear scientists. israel has taken the most belligerent stance. so israel is in days of its own dirty wars. it does not need the united states to tell it what to do. it is deep into its own actions. >> oh, really? let me to say, even if people don't want to buy but, when i do the books and happy to talk to people. the distaff to get involved with everyone else. ask your question to do it. and now with phil and felipe are, but they can -- [laughter] >> i feel that people that came here today are equally outraged
4:07 pm
by what you have reported, but i also sense that not many people are surprised because we have been inundated with reports of someone else mentioned earlier, the military, the industrial complex, extensions of that. my question to you, and looking on the legacy of oliver stone and other people before you left tried to blow the whistle, do you really feel it is an issue of and permission that is not getting out or do we just need experts like you to actually run for office to make change? i mean -- >> not on your life, brother. [laughter] [applause] >> i appreciate the question. i have way too many skeletons in my closet. [laughter] i mean, look, take your question seriously, i do think that unless we break the duopoly, unless we have an actual multi-party system in this country where we will get anywhere with the democratic and
4:08 pm
republican parties, their agenda is to support a business to keep the idea that america is the exception in the world, that is a requirement to president of united states. i really admire people of a local level which had organized third party challenges. is the most democratic thing you could do, try to fight to break the stranglehold. there are differences in domestic policy between democrats and republicans. tecumseh the national security stay there of a war party. and so i'm glad you raised it. maybe there are young people in this room that are going to try to run for those offices and get involved at the school board level because i actually think that you can have changes. those aren't the issues the cover, but those are the issues i care about personally. those are issues that i work on.
4:09 pm
along with the death penalty. so i thank you all very much for coming. thank you for your questions. happy to answer questions. [applause] >> book tv is on facebook. like us to interact with book tv guests and viewers, watch videos, and get up-to-date information on events. facebook.com/booktv. >> and now on book tv the follow-up to her best selling memoir. her new book she discusses what her life has been like since moving to the united states from china in 1984. forty-five minutes program is from our recent chicago tribune printer's row that fast. [applause]a >> thank you for this great
4:10 pm
turnout.exi i am very excited to be here today. i read her first book back in 1995 shortly after it came out.y i assume that some of you have sead it. it was the first installment of her memoir about growing up mir during the cultural revolution in china.a,an and it took her up until p approximately the time that she landed.n can you not hear me? can somebody regulate this microphone for us please. how about this.? can you hear me now? okay. excellent.llen and her second book, the book will focus on today, has justou come out.ng it starts when she lands at a o'hare in 1984. is that right? before i start asking questionsr justin casey think that successk has changed anchee min i would like to point at the she ish, traveling with a backpack.ugg
4:11 pm
[laughter] t she is letting everything that she has a round. aster when we met down in thee greenroom earlier today, is that she everything you have?sad she said yes. we learned growing up to pack quickly and to pack everything that we have. so --r >> because we were told thats w americans are in vietnam and iti would take overd invade china, learn to defend ourselves, and any time. >> some things never change, however americanized you may be. i want you to start by just telling us in the way that your book starts about your arrival in chicago, who were you? what was that like to land in this cold, strange place? >> my life ended in turna, a long story. to make it a short, i was in the
4:12 pm
labor camp. it's nothing unusual. it's half of china. if you know anything about chinese history, mining history, culture revolution, they used it to help them get rid of the political rival, once it is done, the use was getting unsettled in the city, and they needed to get rid of them, and so he says the university, the best one is in the countryside, and you go and study from pes cants so half of the time was sent there, ordered there, and i was one of them. after a few years in the labor camp and getting disillusioned, and my labor camp in the east china sea, ten labor camps there, about a hundred thousand aged from 17-25, and that makes the book how we were contained, basically by one, and we were
4:13 pm
captured like mop keys in the lot, and to speed it up, i'll come to this point was in late 19775, early 1976, we did not know he was tieing and in line to take over china to be the next ruler of china, and she needs to make like a campaign movie to pave the way and needs the faith that her idea woman to be on the screen, and she looked everywhere, sent talent scums, and i was pickedded from the cotton field, and shipped with tractor and the trucks back to the film studio to be screen tested. i permly had no say in it because i was -- like everybody else in china, it was just
4:14 pm
because i've had the correct -- the right amount needed. disappointing, isn't it? [laughter] >> you don't like using -- hearing the term you were "recruited"; correct? >> correct. >> what's your objection to the word "recruited" because in the book; right? >> i had app act, and i -- after -- i saw all these beautiful women of my own age, and some know how to agent, and they, somebody who knows acting had cultural background in the family so that's considered politically not reliable, and they were looking for a piece of white paper. i was taught, and -- >> can you give us a little rendition? >> well, for example, teach how
4:15 pm
to drink water correctly. i was given a cup and start drinks water, ready, set, action, and the little pipingy here. the correct way to drink a water is one breath and wipe my mouth with both, and that's what i did. anyway, i was picked, and i just remember -- i couldn't perform. there was no way. oh, all i could think is i did not want to go back to labor camp because i had a back injury. that shows, and later on, the extent was sent, and there was -- her office said it was awful, and we were caught in

159 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on