Skip to main content

tv   Hillary Clinton Discusses New Memoir What Happened  CSPAN  September 24, 2017 10:00pm-11:31pm EDT

10:00 pm
just keep going on one day at a time that is old and have to do. he looks what she's about to cry but he's never offered him kind words. they look uncomfortable in this expression that keen on an agreement. think of all the days that you have survived already. i look to see if she is appreciating what is going on in front of us. we are witnessing a pivotal moment for the group itself, a collective responsibility to care for someone else and no one wants it to end. ♪
10:01 pm
[cheering] that's a good start. thank you very much. i am the co-owner of politicsbre and prose. along with my wife and on behal. of the entire set, welcome and thank you so much for coming. [applause] what a marvelous crowd and what a great space for a book event. thank you for making this
10:02 pm
spacious place available. as much as we do enjoy hosting our authors in the store at connecticut avenue northwest, we had a feeling that a larger venue would be needed for this one. [cheering]auth this is the largest sponsor talk sponsored and i think his it soe out in a matter of minutes. so congratulations.tter o you are the lucky ones. what happened in the new book about the 2016 election landed on the bestseller lists and generated nonstop commentary conversations. some things never change.
10:03 pm
she's given a number of media interviews about the book but tonight she's here with us in person for what is the first stop on a 15 city tour that will take her across the united states and canada. [cheering] in the days and weeks and months following she took more walks, consumed a few glasses of chardonnay and tried to regain her bearings. ten months later she's back with renewed strength and fresh purpose an in a personal accounf why she lost in election that can be learned from what was by the deeply confounding and disturbing race. many are familiar with the long career to the first lady of the united states, u.s. senator from
10:04 pm
new york, secretary of state and the democratic party's presidential candidate. [applause] [cheering] the wife of bill, mother of chelsea and grandmother of charlotte and she's also managed to write books reviewer's so far seem to agree on at least one thing. she is less guarded than ever before, more revealing and authentic. she says she didn't intend for that to be a comprehensive recap of the campaign, and it isn't but it does convey with emotion, humor and insight how it felt to run for president as the first woman nominated by a local par
10:05 pm
party. [applause] and how it felt to deal with the aftermath of a shocking defeat. one other thing comes throughap, she intends to remain active and speak out. [applause] hillary will be in conversation with my wife the two of them go back a long way.il at various times over the decades she's worked with hillary as the chief speechwriter, communicationsf director, book collaborator and campaign advisor including several stand helping in the 2012016 campaign and currently she's writing her own book about her experiences as a part of the small group of staffers starting with hillary 25 years ago in the white house and who remained in
10:06 pm
her orbit ever since. i would also like to take a moment to recognize it in the audience this evening iiz remembered of members of the 2009 campaign staff. [cheering] to help their candidate to earn 3 million more votes than the republican nominee. [cheering] and now hillary clinton.clinto [cheering][ina
10:07 pm
[cheering] [cheering]
10:08 pm
this is great. [cheering] is such a great crowd thank you for being here. we are back for what happened. it's just what happened. but congratulations. both numbers. either way, produceby the way, d time i might add. and it's a very personal book which i'm sure those of you that read it already know and if you've watched the interviewss and you've heard about it, you
10:09 pm
know that i want to say one thing before we get started of course it is about the 2016ary l election. and of course she delves deeply into a broad range of issues from the erosion of the democratic institutions and the growing signs of totalitarianism creeping into to many aspects of our life, the rolling back of the voting rights for healthcare, environmental protections, economic and social justice and of course ongoing and more overt examples of sexism and racism across theismr country. if you don't have it yet in washington there's that thing where if you look at the index and you pick and choose what you are going to read start at the beginning and read all 469 pag
10:10 pm
pages, because she has a lot to say about important challenges facing the country and if you read from start to finish, you will learn a lot and it is just fascinating and really important stuff in the book. but tonight we are going to try to keep it in its more personal. if that's okay. and i want to start with how this book event came about and i'm going to remind you you and i had a conversation way back in the winter if you have i mentioned you were thinking of writing a book about the election and then we had severat more conversations about this over the next weeks and months and each time, i said to herch emphatically that the crazy idea, why would you do that, you are still processing everything, we are still processing everything. i don't know about the rest of
10:11 pm
you put everybody that i know was experiencing weird things like insomnia and anxiety, gastrointestinal disorders. in fact a friend of mine who's a doctor in washington said it is an election related syndrome known as trump berea. [laughter] howl in such a short space of time how can you process all of this for your self and of course you are the central actors so how i advise you not to and thankfully she didn't listen to me so that was very wise on your part and now here we are with this wonderful book. now i wonder how did you process it so quickly and this didn't involve any therapy along the way. [applause]
10:12 pm
[cheering] actually, it was my therapy to be very clear. she's been a friend and colleague of mine for a long time now and is a terrific writer and a great reporter when she worked for the post and others so i take it very seriously. she did come to see me like a number of my friends got rallied around and came to support me and share their concerns and worries.ad in i had pretty much nothing i wanted to say to anybody.
10:13 pm
i was so devastated and it was incredibly painful. and it took weeks of just getting up every day, cleaning closets, going for walks in the woods, all these things i did to begin to clear my head. but of course other people were commenting and writing and i just didn't think there was a broad enough view a comprehensive understanding of what it looked like to me in real time and what i believed happened, but i wasn't sure and i knew that it would take a lot of analysis and evidence gathering. i do kind of believe in facts. [applause]
10:14 pm
i think that it hit me around the inauguration people would talk about what are you going to do and will you write something else and i was just trying to model through. it really hits me that there were these important issues that needed to be discussed at our democracy and our country relied upon and i thought i needed to know what happened and i needed to be as honest, candid as iened possibly can and i needed to figure it out for myself and maybe doing it in a book would provide the discipline and the deadline to try to think it through.
10:15 pm
so i decided i was going to write it and it was painful. it was hard to think about the mistake that i have made and to come to grips with these other big forces at work that have a determinative impact so it ended up being cathartic for meme personally and those people wert telling me it does provide a lot of opportunity and i'm happy about that because there arepy some really important issues we have to come to grips with.
10:16 pm
this is what i am going to spend a lot of time on. [applause] to follow up on how hard this is, it was a mind-boggling experience she said on a right ti write toget to a deeper trut. getting to that deeper truth as you've experienced is hurtful, overwhelming, sad and you have to deal with things that are intensely private so i am just wondering do you censor your
10:17 pm
self at all and are there times that there are just thought that it was too much or what did you do to try to get to that next yd level flex >> i ended up not censored in my thoughts and what i put into the book and i censored some of the language i used. some of the early venting sessions i had a great team of people who invented with me and helped me better explain what i was thinking about that i didn't hold back on what i saw as my own shortcomings and disappointment at no of not jusr me but for the country so it was not censored, it was candid and
10:18 pm
something that i did get to some deeper and bigger truths about me and our country and some of the difficult forces we have to face. there is a lot that i was learning and writing because when you are in the middle of a campaign. you are so focused on the immediate tasks and you know what the overall goal is butd every day is 18 hours of the
10:19 pm
hardest concentration and work. it's hard to understand everything that is having at the same time. so, being able to step back a little and go through it and take it apart, look at it and analyze it and then write about it helped me a lot. >> did you learn anything aboutt yourself that you didn't know? >> i really believed that and ie think ann richards backed it was out of sync with the time in which we are living and the in e candidate i ended up running against because i did have this idea based on my prior experiences and presidentiald campaigns going back to the 60s and 70s if you couldd
10:20 pm
make clear what you wanted to achieve and didn't have to have all the details but it washe important to tell people what you wanted to do because if they were in office they could judge you whether or not they were fulfilling that commitment so we spent a lot of time making sure everything i said about policy and how we pay for things are bulletproof. for all sorts of reasons it didn't so i think i stayed away to focus on the path and it's not the direction of the that te campaign was having because of the pressures from outside forces to figure out what is ay
10:21 pm
better way for me to try toobe communicate this. of the press is not putting out aln the policy from today. they are covering and empty podium and i kept thinking we are still going to break through because people do care what kind of jobs and infrastructure and health care and other things you want to do for their families and income that there was aa disconnect so i learned i just was not as quick to try to make some adjustments on those lines. >> you also say that you developed a new appreciation is that what you are getting at? >> the simple idea i still
10:22 pm
believed the simple idea like we are going to raise taxes on the wealthy so i did have that idea but there is also an important debate about in politics today when we have a quick movement for social media plays a bigger part in trying to develop a relationship with voters orwi engender confidence of the voters did you know what you're talking about and you were going to deliver because you do want to understand the complexities may not be as significant as just repeating those big ideas over and over again and leaving the details for later.
10:23 pm
maybe people will want to know details again and policy again. you never know. [cheering] just not outlining every single detail of ahead of time necessarily, which i thought that was a pretty interestingasn observation. obser just one other quick things about what ithing aboutwhat it u are so revealing in the book you about what it means to be a presidential candidate and of course you've got constant incoming.mi good, bad, medium, you try to assess all sorts of information from people all the time. it is interesting you said in a number of places there were times that you wished you had struck back when you were criticized or challenged on wall street and other things by matt lauer in that really awful
10:24 pm
interview, and then of course we have the imitation on the debate stage. so in each of those even though you didn't say it, do you know how much it warms the hearts of so many to know that you thought of these things? [cheering] in this situation it was a relief to know you were even thinking about it and give yourself constrained and felt like you were in a straitjacketn at times. i'm sure it has something to do with being a woman, but i will let you answer that.
10:25 pm
it has a lot to do with being a woman and it is because it's hard to be perceived as strong and any other word you can thin of and so, part of the challenge is how you present yourself in a mature and appropriate way. thought process on the stage was hard and we practiced what i would do if we invaded the spac because they kind of assumed he
10:26 pm
would. you are a little annoyed and frustrated and he is stalkinghe you and staring at you and so i was going back and forth, but i had believed it's better not to show this kind of reaction in the middle of a presidential debate. and funny gestures, facial expressions, heavy sighs, things really do affect the viewers and i just ended up believing that
10:27 pm
in addition to this link that was a history of the presidential debates that had deviated in a way to show frustration and anger, dismissiveness, whatever their feelings were and i thought whatever price i would pay double or triple and so i just thought okay, i should have t thought at the end of the day people would say we really do want someone that is calm and composed. [applause] [cheering] i was aware of all of the different currents but i carried on in the way that somebody that wants to be president should do.
10:28 pm
>> and you sort of have to wear your composure like a suit of armor and that's what you did. >> everybody in the audience knows that feeling. i thought it's the toughest job in the world and requires or at least used to require a level of daca [cheering] a lev curiosity and focus in things tg you would think somebody in that responsibility would want to have. and i honestly believe that we were in a different kind of campaign unlike any that i had seen before. i watched people go up and down in campaigns, i worked in them,
10:29 pm
i was deeply involved in them and my husband's campaigns. i know the area and flow of the campaign. this was different. and i don't think anybody fully grasped how it was a variation on the campaign. unlike the signals about that and that my campaign could have done a better job trying to figure out to push back on make more transparent so people woule understand. .. d understand, mentally what the campaign of his, they have the best empty podium that anybody has ever seen. get people to think and laugh about what was happening in the campaign. but that did not happen soon enough were quite enough places.
10:30 pm
>> did you watch the emmys last night? [applause] >> i did. >> >> and you and i had actually talked about that book in the past mid-1985 a work of fiction of course, hat which is now wildly popular tv series about a liberal democracy and very definitively becoming aa totalitarian state which of course, that is resident at the moment. and that whole idea of the
10:31 pm
normalization of the animal is terrifying. by the way, doesn't it just buggy when people say this is the new normal? we should never called this normal? isn't a normal it is a new abnormal. [applause]ing and the handmaids tale resonates because of that. from voter suppression or the media to fake news just the assault of the democratic institution that we rely on we need to trust it is scary and of course, we will get to the fake news but?. >> i was motivated to write this because of what happened at the inauguration and i write a the first chapter about but it felt like to go to theli inauguration and what a hardt
10:32 pm
decision it was and but i thought it was important to show continuity of our government i was certainly hoping to hear words of reconciliation and to bring the country together after a very divisive campaign and i did not hear that i felt very uneasy about that inauguration negative their people i supported won or lost but this was different it was not a normal inauguration then it was made even more surreal with the claims of the crowd size and the introduction of alternative facts and then i started to think this is much more they and transfer from month to term
10:33 pm
democratic president to a republican president. [laughter] and i just couldn't really grasp the challenge that they intended to pose to facts and evidence with reason that is fundamental to a the functioning of a democracy of the powers. [applause]this i thought this is much bigger than any transfer of presidential power that i am aware of its recent history because of the assumption that new administration and was operating on and thehe brazenness of that attemptempt
10:34 pm
to distort react -- restore reality version facts and truth despite what we saw with our own eyes. this bothered me greatly because i said before if i lost to another republican candidate that he emerged from the primary i would not have worried about the fundamental future of our country our institutions or rule of law. with this imperative of reason that motivated the founders which is still absolutely essentials. this was a resonant themeuse you because you could disagree about policy but you cannot
10:35 pm
begin touche chip away at the basis of the government's functioning without paying a very big price so in the book you will not be surprised i mentioned and "the handmaids tale" 1984, a brave new world because i want readers i may not agree with everything but i have to agree with the fundamental premise we cannot sacrifice truth and facts on partisanship and the desire on a particular president and his administration and al control the news for the
10:36 pm
alternate reality. and as i have said before that this president and the people who serve him on this alternative reality track are posing a clear and present danger to the future of our country. [cheers and applause] most one of the most powerful chapters in the book is the one about a box and trolls and russia and fake news see begin that section that
10:37 pm
begins that section of the book and then to talk aboutolls those theories to russia with no love but in all seriousness it is incredibly clear connecting of dots based on what evidence is available. there will be more coming the day before that it isit essential that everybody read that.er had a but i would like to think you publicly now how many were in washington during pete's the gate? [applause] if you ben to politics & prose it is only a few doors down from comet ping-pong
10:38 pm
and you were on to this with the campaign before a lot of us realize the extent of it and we spoke shortly after the election and he knew thehe comment was targeted that politics and prose were targeted and you actually said he would speak out about it and we were grateful at the time because everybody thought we needed to lay low. -- lie low december 4th walking in with a gun than one hour later we communicated i told you what was going on you responded in some the and were so supportive and that we were all mock them with police running up and down the street. str people don't notice they said what can we do to support comment -- comet? or
10:39 pm
you bought a lot and send them to the after-school literacy program which you never publicized. [cheers and applause] and you checked in on me a lot because we were not going through the way of i cannot tell you how important it was for our entire staff and a block staff that you and president clinton were there for a us. i never had a chance to a thing hugh publicly and i just want to do that. thank you. [cheers and applause] >> if i could just say a word because we are inju washington with this horrible chain of the events that have been here but this is a terrible example of
10:40 pm
what can be done by people who are malicious and unacquainted with the truth and pursuing their own agenda whether commercial or partisan the advantage or any other goal. for those of you who do not follow that or remember, when john podesta emails work so when. they were stolen by the russians. [applause] then given to wikileaks that is nothing more than a tool of putin and the kremlin. [cheers and applause] and those people associated with trump knew about that because in august they treated howard john podesta would find himself so on
10:41 pm
october 7 when the most infamous days of the campaign started with the director of homeland security the director of, national intelligence clapper, to say that with high confidence they knew the russians were behind the attack or the theft of thema e-mail. that happened in the morning than hollywood access broke a couple of hours later andge within one hour such an amazing coincidence coincidence, wikileaks dumped all of john bethesda emails. if you read those i think it is a little embarrassing to read mitt they are boring but because they were, the way the russians and the
10:42 pm
allies, and whoever they turn out to be. [cheers and applause] we're able to generate constant interest and sent to the press of these wild goose chases and then of course, the and there was creating the illusion of transparency. if you think you're getting something behind the screen maybe it is more legitimate even if you are played by a bunch of russians. but the psychology is part of that russian propaganda effort but you can only go so far to listen to people
10:43 pm
in every campaign with that debate so they have to be recognized and have elements a w in a way that is hard to imagine in a cybervirtual world.lking ab so john podesta is talking about pizza and a very good cook and his risooto recipe is still there. [laughter] so now one of these reallyse rel
10:44 pm
that i consider evil people in the media world al civil whole cloth to make up the story that we are running a child trafficking ring in the basement of a the comet ping pong. by the way there is no basement for you think people would be laughing shaking their head but if you migrate that crazy story to the facebook post, news outlets, people will believe that including a very unfortunate young man in north carolina who believed it. that was meant to be believed to influence voting
10:45 pm
even i say i don't believe it was to be influenced to drive from north carolina from washington to liberate the imaginary children from the imaginary basement of the pizza parlor but then there came the young man believing he was on a mission because he saw that on facebook in other places on line and other'' news outlets said he was there on a mission of rescue. people could have gotten killed. he shot his automatic weapon off inside this pizza parlor the streets where politics and prose is were shut down. it was an active crime scene because people who cared more about what an amazing information making stories up from the truth or fax or
10:46 pm
even public safety with any concern about children was nonexistent to stimulate or propagate the attitudes that would grab some said they would say with hillary clinton and her campaign chairman should go to jail. for i cannot vote for that that is the worst example but there are so many othersmples that are the same pattern from stealing to give been to wikileaks to ebonizingebody' into somebody's facebook post i think it is one of
10:47 pm
the most serious challenges we face because if we don't get a handle on information that is not just controversial or protected by the first amendment but a bat spreading lies to the extent that they can cause behavior that we saw in this terrible instance, it will not stop. i am glad congress and others are looking at facebook because they are the vehicle as one of the very first to deliver this kind of information but i was just terrified for everybody on the streetreet. because i could see what the
10:48 pm
trafficking of that horrible information was meant to do and it got out of the and we were just fortunate nobody was injured but the consolation and there is consultation with that outpouring of support was unbelievable. pepplause] with ownership of their communities and i might say mike pence at that time was living a mile away in a rented house before we could move in to the vice presidency so did he oncedi think about to buy a slice of pizza? of course not that the community has been fantastic so that really made a huge difference.
10:49 pm
so now we will be a little lighter. there was a very funny moment in the book or use a president obama told youou don t don't try to be hip you are a grand mal. [laughter] just be yourself. where it did he think you're going to do?'' was he worried about? it is so k. [laughter] >> he was an extraordinarily supportive and helpful friend throughout the whole campaign he would call meet periodically to say are you getting enough sleep? are you eating well? he'd say are you exercising? i was ted think i am getting
10:50 pm
enough sleep and eating well. [laughter] but he stayed up with me and the campaign and i cannot remember which incident he was referring to but he was always in my corner and had my back. she's you love words did anybodydy see the crossword puzzle of the month ago?. >> can be heard of the game boxers or briefs? [laughter] b so now i will give you two words the book is very
10:51 pm
revealing but they know what type of hotspots you like candy you judy breeding so now. >> the first half to talk about hot sauce.hasay wo [laughter] i have carried hot sauceats us since 1992. i just want you to know that is true. there were people who were accusing me of just making that up and. it is not made up. i should has spent more time talking about hot sauce if anybody wants recommendations? let me s know. >> as long as i have no new
10:52 pm
hot sauces bed in her purse we can vouch. >> tea or coffee?. >> coffee beach or mountains?. >> beach. >> shower or bath?. >> these are not fair because it depends on how much time that you have. >> bodies or yoga?. >> yoga. >> chardonnay. [laughter]>> to or history or mystery?.
10:53 pm
>> mystery. >> putin or trump?. >> [laughter] yes. weld, i have to take an advertisement for the following advisement because iran against both of them. [cheers and applause] i was also going to say comey. [laughter], a lo allotted at resilience was similar and first of all,
10:54 pm
people say thank you. so here is one that our similar so wedded vice would you give to young woman who wants to go into politics and would you encourage your daughter to enter politics and she were interested but you knew she would experience the same level of sex is some during your political career?. >> i would ask this in general because i would say this to any young woman who were to ask even though i write at length about the challenges women in politics face not just me your democratic women but still
10:55 pm
is a double standard.t if you if you are willing to enter politics as a candidate or a campaign staffer or person in public service because that is how i view the bigger definition of politics, you just have to be prepared to have the confidence without being too defensive back and it is easy for me to say i have spent all of those things atts various points in my public career but this is a really great experience and it is important to have more women in politics. [cheers and applause]t we a
10:56 pm
and that we all support each other and the of political arena. one of the of great quotes that i have loved for years is eleanor roosevelt anybody who enters the public to read and she needs to growfo skin the effect as rhinoceroses because you will be judged by everything from your hair to your voice to whether you're married or not or have children or don't.dren it is a constant gotcha i gave you have to be clear what you're going into politics and what you hope to achieve in so to pull back a curtain back so is
10:57 pm
want people to be more aware so you can call that out for what is. there was a fascinating article about women and sports in the grief they take because of their voice and somebody who has been called everything when it comes to everything but in particular about voice, there really struck home with me. and to get through that with a good supporters friends and families and those who can tell you the truth like
10:58 pm
telling it is a terrible idea to write this book because a friend tells you with things are good or not. but it is important i have started in organizationn called on word it together so the primary purpose is to support the groups that are recruiting people to train them to wonderful groups to keep the attention where that needs to be. and also to repeal the affordable care racked. lot of work needs to be done [applause] >>. >> and those that because
10:59 pm
they know more. >> after the election those were the stories that i would hear that one of the campaign staffers havef started aiming at recruiting more young people and a group that you work with before that has a great record of elected women and that challenges on african-americans young people to get into politics pol so i felt there was so much we could do because at the end of the day to say thiss and
11:00 pm
lp to thing powell this would have been. d and to go to protest but if we don't get people to vote starting in virginia or new jersey we will not turn this around. [cheers and applause] and it is gratifying to see how many people who were never thinking about office of are now. >> we appreciate you. what should the democratic party run on in the next election? not an easy question. >> it has to be economic justice and social justice. [cheers and applause]
11:01 pm
we have the better side of the argument to be inclusive we just have to keep plugging away and not get discouraged whose answer is to everything tax cuts for the wealthy. i can almost imagine the scene in a republicanys members told the kid calls out to say i don't feel good we will wake you in the morning. really that is the inside story with this attempt to repeal the affordable care act that is tax cuts for the wealthy so we have to keep talking over and over.
11:02 pm
sometimes they think we make of the great argument seatno cannot promote and stand up for economic justice so with that progress to move people for word on civil rights and women's rights and human rights. so i don't died of false dichotomy we want everybody to have a better opportunity for this. >> we both care about women so getting back to "the handmaids tale" and those
11:03 pm
with power or women who don't have power or have been marginalized.rite >> i'm glad you asked because i write about this with the conversationthat i shortly before announcing. and then to appreciate the work that she has done with research working withrd wit professors at stanford the university of pennsylvania and for what happens in women's lives and how we
11:04 pm
perceive ourselves. >> everybody understood so the more professionally successful a man becomes he becomes more likable the more successful she becomes a she is less likable because our stereotype or presumptions of what is appropriate or not appropriate to are so powerful to know the dna so you say to yourself if that's the case then whatnd can we do about it? the second point equally provocative is that women those when they are in service to someone else so
11:05 pm
while the of the state department with a 69 percent approval rating for ago people thought i was doing a good job. but i was doing a good job because. [cheers and applause]countr standing up for your country and what was fascinating to me was how effective it wasto js to begin to knock that down and get to the point we don't know what we think about her. cheryl made it clear that if you are in service to someone else in the workplace if you go to your employer she should get a raise the galatia's been
11:06 pm
working so hard you get points by you're looking now for your colleagues. but if you say i have been working really hard our bike to be considered for raisean it you - - it is held against u.s. a woman but not a man. and how we see women in the public arena.omen's i've lost the white women's vote but i did get more than present obama died in 2012. so the problem that democratic nominee have to contend with how to communicate now i personally believe i was doing well
11:07 pm
enough with the white women and then stops my momentumthat and played an to the concern that women have whether they're making a mistake with their vote for gorepo started to go door to door many years ago and i was always surprised when i was a knock on the door and the woman with cancer and i would say i am here for this candidate and they would say i am not here -- i don't know enough i don't want to make a mistake and of course, to the last month of this campaign all of af sudden people were tolding is g
11:08 pm
something is going on.a lot of so we could see a lot of women in particular were turned away and discourage.. i don't blame them. but you got to see how women are trying to do what they think of inner often under pressure from people aroundhe them with that anecdotal evidence says she has to work extra hard to convince other women she can do the job she is running for and in the governor's offices but getting people to feel comfortable at a
11:09 pm
presidential double is a challenge and there are some statistics that even among democratic women and men and is sent 8090% in the '60s for women or 40's for men in more than republicans who have a hard time thinking about a woman in the white house. with that psychological and emotional economic issues and if you think there is just one answer you will be wrong so look at a much broader set of responses and appeals to persuade women to vote for other women and tried to make solidarity booknd that. >> but the nice sense of support to have from your
11:10 pm
own friends especially talking about your girlfriends and that has been true forever because they really do come through. [cheers and applause] >> no question i am drinking chardonnay with you in solidarity. demonstrate alternate nostril breeding. [laughter] --- breeding. >> it's not that hard. i do recommend that.g to d google it. >> she will not demonstratee so what is the most of filling part of your life so far?. >> my old life? -- my whole life?. >> my family and my friends
11:11 pm
and doing work that i believed in that i thought made a difference i write about my marriage and has spent and daughter and motherhood and my mother and my friends but at the end of the day everybody has disappointments but i view this book as much aboutbo resilience as running for president because for me having the support and encouragement from my family during the campaign and the aftermath made all the difference as to how i felt if i could summon the energy
11:12 pm
and the commitment to play a public role from what i care about. i am a very fortunate person and i want others no matter what happens in life there are ways to get up and keep going. don't give up on yourself or your friends or people you care about. [applause] >> what is your vice for those federal workers with the destruction of agencies especially as epa? [applause] >> i am so distressed because there is so much
11:13 pm
experience and expertiseemployeo among federal employees across our government it has been hard won and years in the making and there seems to be a total disregard with a contempt with the administration for what federal workers know in the advice they can give. the other night i was talking about this when it comes to the state department and i have such a high the guard for so many of the foreign service officers at all levels in the state department and i think about the crisis and peopled blue and though the language and the history are p
11:14 pm
that have experienced a the crimean peninsula of china and japan should be sitting in meetings with the highest level of this administration and providing advice that could be useful on behalf of our country. a dis there is such disdain for federal workers so if you can stick it out, stick itit out because the tide has to turn. [applause] and if we can take both houses of congress in 2018 you will have people you can talk to again. [applause] but i know how difficult that is because i know what has happened to people that i work within the state
11:15 pm
department to be frozen out or mistreated so i know it's not easy to say this but i don't want us to lose those thousands of years of experience of the epa and a lot of the places that are targeted so i hope we can maintain public servants because at some point they will need you and i hope you are still there. [applause]e ques >> wan last audience question.
11:16 pm
>> what is your favorite flavor of i.c.e. cream?. >> that is a hard question. >> chocolate. anything with chocolate.t to but i do want to just day a few more words about the future because that is what i am most focused on. in order to be better prepared eight you can have an effect but a lot of permission has been given to people to be prejudice or to
11:17 pm
lash out at others with the gender or write -- race or defining characteristic. ameri to see core american values not permitting a clot -- a clock to be turned back or people's values to be reversed there is a lot to be proud of with the resistance what they're doing every single day and of course, the great contrasts the right with that inauguration and the women's march on a saturday. [cheers and applause] and holding the line on repealing the affordable
11:18 pm
care racked and it is a really big deal for everybody to play a role model everybody will start an organization but everybody can be sure if you have a free weekend to go canvas and you can start looking to see strategically18 because in the 2018 election there will be some very competitive seats i want 24 congressional districts to have a republican member of congress in them so thinking hard how you can support people who stick out their neck and decided they will run, going on-line to combat
11:19 pm
that truth to be one of the people who were standing up and tweeting bad for posting something on facebook or to make it clear people will not be given a passive there promoting falsehood your personal attacks or a horrible position whether white supremacy or a the kkk or whatever might be we will not let that go unanswered. and then to take the country back in the way we believe it is at its best to have a future we believe is possible and no one has more of a stake than young people
11:20 pm
so for me i have spent a lot of my time talking with young people to understand the power of their vote that is still the great but to have that cross relationships and to obliterate them to be integrated and full lives with each other to be the rebuke to undermine us and i am very optimistic at the end of the day i talk aboutwe tl love and kindness that was
11:21 pm
my attempt to respond to their rallies on the other side the yelling and pushing and the violence that's not who we are or should be. so at the end i talk about what we can do and should do going forward but at the end of the book i am optimistic because i believe we summon the energy to get ourselves focused right moot and moving toward a more perfect union and i am doing everything i can to help us get there. [applause] >> starting the book with harriet tubman and this book by the way is a collection
11:22 pm
of your favorite sources of inspiration so first of of thank you for not going quietly. [cheers and applause] [cheers and applause] >> i just want to say none of us can afford to go quietly away we need our voices and our energy and a really do say -- believe it takes a village to get on the right track and it is with my belief to bring people together to work together with this children's version of it
11:23 pm
takes a village that is intended to say we all have to work together if you think of it is politically correct i think it is america at its best.otes you so let me end with a couple of quotes. so by starting on word together you are a model for a lot of people i just wants at end with a few quotes that we can turn to to persist and unless the of nelson mandela.
11:24 pm
>> there is only the trying. life goes on.st and the most appropriate to for the last 25 years. >> from maya angelou still i rise. thanks for coming. [cheers and applause] [cheers and applause]
11:25 pm
[inaudible conversations]
11:26 pm
[inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] in. [applause]
11:27 pm
. >> my last semester lot will least 24 years working with nasa was gone moving from d.c. the reason i moved homeless to be with my dad and now he is on. that was of moment to have deeper understanding that mark twain said the two most important days of july for the day you were born but he said mark twain vitarelli say that.
11:28 pm
>> there is no mark twain reference. [laughter] >> but to figure out of why all of us and to help change of plan for the positive that is why i wrote the book . with science and technology i did not even know what saddam was but i was living it everyday so we're on this
11:29 pm
small blue marble together we'll see this happening every day but from the international space station when i looked out i see my home town from space. . .
11:30 pm
for the space mission you might be the lucky one but if you get an opportunity whatever the experience you have ticket to see this, it's cognitively changes you as a person to

18 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on