Skip to main content

tv   Washington Journal Nathan Gonzales  CSPAN  May 24, 2021 1:29pm-2:27pm EDT

1:29 pm
should agree on this round of legitimate debate that is stifled or canceled. >> because of cultures that expensive term using and a whole bunch of range of concerns but i narrow it to questions as much as running a said, showing probably more specifically i'm concerned about those areas where people are fired for the positions. >> watch the communicators with telecommunications ran off me and will reinhardt, tonight at eight eastern on "c-span2". >> this is never too early to talk about the next election for spotlight election of 2022 this morning . were joined by editor and publisher of the race group inside of elections and elections analysis analyst. and what is your recent pieces inside elections.
1:30 pm
republicans should disband if they don't win back the house in 2022.e >> were going big on monday morning. so monday morning let's start off with that republicans are very close to getting the house majority. the need and again a five seat. we look at a couple of key factors, they are well-positioned at this early stage. just looking back in history, the president party has lost an average of receipts in the last 25 term elections. member republicans just needed negative five then when you add on the extra layer of redistricting, were in the cycle of redistricting. and some will redraw their lights. republicans are growing more district than democrats are. they are in control of more states and thus control of more district so they could gain seats just from the redistricting processing alone, so again five seats and 30 plus
1:31 pm
a few and republicans have a lot of room for error. and i think that is why the normally confident but they are going to win the majority in 2022 but also impacts legislation over the next year and half because i don't think they feel thek need to really compromise are given a lot because they can smell the majority. like you just hold the line, we would have more power here before too long. >> you mentioned an average of 30 seat loss in the mature. when was the last time a president's party didid well the midterm and what was the reason why. >> sot: yes, the last two recent instances of the present didn't lose, 1998 and also 2,022,002 president george w. bush, there was redistricting butut there ws still a rally around the flag effect from september 11th. and so that help the republicans and best the midterm trend in the house.
1:32 pm
from 1998 present bill clinton of republican house republicans arguably overreached in the pursuit of legal impeaching president clinton in the legal aspects of that. and that was not popular with the voters so those of the two instances where the midterm trend. but i would stated that democrats, how could the busted in 2022 is they were coming out of the pandemic. there's no potential, will just a hopefully our country is healthier both economically physically socially, that we are doing to better the voters have a sense that the country is headed in the right direction and midterm elections. that might take some of the typical angst that we see them in terms out of the equation. because the reason why the midterm elections are often the presence parties because if the voters don't like the projection of the country, they can't vote cagainst it present in the midterm because he the balance of the often taken out on the first party . >> so what is the early at this
1:33 pm
point, are you making a prediction . >> no. that's the short answer. we do not have wind yet and we don't have actual congressional lines yet freightedl the region and trent the processes been delayed because of delays coming in from the u.s. census bureau on the redistricting. we dod not have finalize line . my point have them until later this year the census bureau released apportionment data in april which we know states will gain or lose district but they still have to make or drop the moredr granular level data to te states probably august or september. so they can actually draw the lines and that whole process takes a lot of the drawing of the lines and approving and going through court challenges and to the whole process of getting delayed. so i more probable actually looking at the district and the candidates running or at least early projections on total net gain or loss. >> we don't have to worry about lines in the senate so take us
1:34 pm
through the senate battlefield. how many seatso are up and macs are in play. >> so thets senate majority is n play as well republicans needed to see a net gain of one seat we have a 50/50 senate right now with the vice president, harris being the tiebreaker. we've identified eight battleground states right now were calling them out about the later we will shift into our typical tossup arlene likely in all of those categories. each side has four vulnerable states on the republican side, more likely at open seats in pennsylvania or senator pat toomey isno now running for reelection. no can seere in north carolina with senator richard burr now running for reelection ind wisconsin, look senator ron johnson is not decided whether he will run for reelection but that will be a battleground either way. in florida with senator marco rubio. and with florida would not call it a swing state anymore, republicans have one of the keep
1:35 pm
races but it's always been close. so when you flip to the other side of the ledger the democratic states, where watching arizona were senator mark kelly is running and georgia were senator rafael is running. the just one special elections cycle but that was just to fill the remainder of this terms. now this is for a full tour. in the last few states that were watching on the democratic side of nevada so with senator catherine cortez masto in new hampshire with maggie. that is a key state, i just because new hampshire tends to go with the national trend but also we are waiting for republican governor chris to decide whether he is going to run and if he does, that will be might be the premier senate race heof the cycle between the senar and the governor there. >> nathan gonzalez painting this picture, if any of those races strike your fancy, give us a call. want to hear your questions or comments. it is only spotlight on
1:36 pm
elections of 2022 but is never too early to talk about the next election. democrats (202)748-8000 and republicans 202 and it ends with 8001. nathan gonzalez, folks are calling in as you mentioned. by republican senate the republican senate committee on market kellyly in arizona. to the tune of even releasing an addict so early in the cycle. the sad in the recent weeks from the national republican committee. >> market kelly has learned to speak politicians, washington and like on immigration. >> is a humanitarian crisis and it is tragic. >> the tragic on the southern porter is a crisis mark kelly helped to create, he defunded security and border wall construction on sanctuary cities that refused to import immigration laws instead
1:37 pm
stimulus check to it illegal immigrants and when joe biden cancel that emergency declaration of border security, market kelly - now the porter is a disaster. what is mark kelly say when he goes on to arizona printed. >> is a mandatory and prizes and is tragic . >> mark kelly says that one - just the opposite in washington. >> nathan gonzalez on market kelly immigration issue and what is the point of releasing an addict 5130 days before election day. >> couple of things, first of all db reviewers a sneak peek. if you are watching a video like that, it is longer than 30 seconds printed is probably not an ad that is on television, is probably what video that they're trying to pass right through various. i don't believe is normal disclaimer of the sad is paid for by the nr see or whatever it
1:38 pm
might be. that doesn't mean that's irrelevant, just telling us were republicans want to go against senator kelly so when two years ago coming up to run as a political outsider of sorts of a former astronaut and he did not have the votes either congress or the senate and the state legislature the republicans could use against him. now we get to november of 2022, he will have a voting record. i think they're anxious to not only highlight the votes i think they're out of step little paint him more as a politician and not just a former astronaut . so i think this is a preview of what were going toth see throughout e cycle. >> you to be fair, as are both sides and see what democrat votes to be focusing on. so this is from the progressive voters and endorsing it marjorie taylor green democratic opponent in her georgia house district. >> there's a patriot. we know that, for>> sharp. the capitol building.
1:39 pm
>> she's express support for the idea that education democratic methods . >> the only way that your freedoms back is earned with the price of blood. >> get ready to marjorie taylor green of congress instead of rooting for the peoplees back home. she said she will tour the country raising money with. [inaudible]. from the state. a company and she's not going to do the job in congress. we know someone who will. someone who knows honoring service because he has lived it. then swipe vote endorses marcus flowers for congress. the damage that the radical extreme does to a country, he saw it in afghanistan and also in iraq. and he's not going to let it get through to hear. join in this fight. this in a true patriot to congress. >> here's another one of those minute long at his. >> that's a web video.
1:40 pm
we will use that term from now on . the first word that comes to mind is fundraising. because we have to remember the context of congresswoman taylor green of her district and right now, northwest georgia district that president trump received about 75 percent of the vote. if someone is doing this for a little while, democrats are very very very unlikely to win this race no matter what the circumstances are particular specific to her. her districtt could change a little bit in georgia republicans are in control and is not that she's not going to go from a 75 percent trump district to a 55 district but i think this is trying to raise money for candidates for flowers and a group that is doing this but i am interested in is if republicans or democrats are
1:41 pm
going to try to elevate her status even more to try to raise money for district and races all of the country we have to remember the context of 2022. and what happened in 2 2020 is thatap democrats defeated president trump. the unifying mission of the democratic party wasif to defeat president trump and he was driving turnout forum democrats now that he's no longer in the oval office, is not going to be on the ballot in 2022, and to find something, or someone to make sure the democratic base is excited and congresswoman greene is somebody who could get excited i just noted that she is the white household name. she is not the president trump is and she could become that sort of you unifying galvanizing factor the democrats need to make sure the turnout doesn't drop . >> you been doing this for as long as i've been doing this. >> never getting into age, this is my third districting cycle. twenty years drawn printed 20
1:42 pm
years. that means you are just a veteran at this as well. >> and asked if you're trying to give an elections question phone lines democrats and republicans and independence printed so we have touched on the immigration issue. that had touched on the january 6th insurrection as a campaign issue. and also the supreme court taking up an abortion case in the supreme court cycle and that's likely to be an election issue as well. >> it looks like it really depends on specifically with the case in the supreme court hearing i would say that it depends on what the decision is in it could impact it also the timing probably be in june 5 months before the election a lot could happen that time but the polling on abortion is always been fascinating to me because it kind of depends on how you askedhe that question in terms f
1:43 pm
for the electric is nice about it that the electorate is more nuanced than a position with regard to working choice and what our politicians tend to be for example the mississippi case is widely viewed that the court this is a threat and gallop is been asking this question for years and if you ask americans whether they support or than want to uphold broken and waited been the majority of said yes, consistently over years but if you ask about the timing of when they are comfortable with people or access to abortions in the first trimester the voters will say yes that should be legal but in the second and third trimesters, is less than a majority are in support of that. and with the pacific case i believe is 15 weeks it would ban abortions very limited exceptions after 15 weeks. so you can kinda pick pick and choose what numbers you want to have to present your case.
1:44 pm
midterms, context could be key for republicans and talk about turnout the democratic side and republicans have shown the turnout can be aho struggle when president trump is not on the ballot rate in the republicans needed to hold trump coalition to come out maybe this is an issue that make sure that conservatives are energized and turnout in the midterm and he is not as prominent as what he was in the last election. >> calls and questions, this is greg in indianapolis indiana democrat good morning. who are nathan gonzales. >> yes, nathan i've noticed that you have been doing this for 20 years. basically you're . clean. [laughter] >> yes but i do have . where the tires to go . >> yes yes you have been doing this for 20 years but am interested to know if it is ever been this nasty in your younger
1:45 pm
years because i don't recall what i i do recall with george wallace and stuff like that. but i don't recall being one sided just so, no bipartisanship at all. so would like to know what you think. the little bit that you do know. >> i'm looking forward to getting out with the family later in the summer. two things come to mind. one, we've had partisanship for maybe the entirety of our country. we've had disagreements. this is nothing new and we can do forget some of those terrible times that we have had in scenes on our history and partisanship in the past we focus on what is happening right now. timmy one thing that is different or one thing that strikes me right now is that
1:46 pm
could happen also in the past is that not only do we not disagree, we can't agree with each other but each side does not even view the other side as equals. the other side isde subhuman. and when you view the other side so terribly, not as equals, you say things and i think the conversation, the arguments are different you make choices that are different. you just don't value of the othericou side. huddling not only their opinions but you don't value them as a person. and it timmy is a scary place. the other thing becomes divided it's easy for us to blame the politicians for the lack of bipartisanship. i don't think voters are reporting bipartisanship. usually the voters that when we see candidates for members on the help who do cover, mice,
1:47 pm
there often threatened or party i voters of their own party particularly in the primary and say we don't want to but he is going to work across the aisle we want a conservative our real progressive and so we could talk about who is to blame and all of this but it's not just the politicians. i think that we have a divided better congress and that reflects who we are as a country. i want to be a downer but i think we can't blame the politicians. i think we have tost do soul-searching as well. >> are there primary battles that you are watching . >> i think it is the way in particular the house height, because of a lack of district. then people before the put their lives on hold on the jobs on hold, the families and putting everything aside, lengthy want to know where they will run. so we sing high-profile challenges are profiled challenges to congresswoman
1:48 pm
cheney, she has more than a handful of people running against her. and on the set aside were sing primaries in north carolina on mathe republican side of the primary in the democratic side. as well and it looks like in florida democrats are going to have an interesting primary between val demings who just announced no likeliness, stephanie murphy. his other primaries developing it. but the whole house calendar is just so delayed and is not going to in the lines are not going to do this anytime soon . >> on this yet she is rick and montclair, california and he said that the open border we talked about immigration already, he said as well, defund the police and crime will rights to the polls in 2022. >> i think there's going to be, i think that rick is because of foresight there. there's one interesting and special election that we are
1:49 pm
watching in new mexico's first district. this is albuquerque based districtri congresswoman deb holland was reported to be the secretary by president biden coming up on june 1st. but republicans in the nobody there, is trying to make crime a significant focal point of the race and one of the reasons why this iss interesting is because this is a democratic district. biden defeated trump by 23 points and inside elections, when a baseline metric where the democrats have about a 17-point advantage and democrats have the advantage in this district and in disguise but we are at our democratic in our republicans are the able to move the conversation significantly. in the election significantly with an issue like this. i think the republicans to be talking about crime and defend the place because that's one of the things they believe help
1:50 pm
them over perform expectations in 2020. people, don't think i was only when the thought democrats could be been expanded the majority and turn that republicans have the net gain of 12 seat and part of that is because of that republicans using get that message effectively . >> inside of the elections are calm, individual groups available as well to the newsletter. editor and publisher, taking phone calls in lake city, tennessee, republican . good morning. >> these pollsters that call like 1500 people. most people don't answer their phone calls from somebody they don't know to tell all these people what we believe. i've never been asked about abortion. i am against it. especially it's overturning the biden has done. president trump stopping the use
1:51 pm
of aborted babies for experiments that they are doing. that is just disgusting. it reminded me of the nasi germany. and then the fear and chaos and when you look at the cities this weekend where all the shootings have occurred. all in control of the democrats for you look at the borders, is chaos. biden had illegal in the middle of the night last week. immediate does not talk about that. >> nathan gonzales, a lot there what would you want to become god. >> well the polling issues, you're not the only one that feels that way. there has been level of soul-searching about to the effectiveness of how we talk about the polls and how we use them in our coverage i think that is healthy. for years we are people like the
1:52 pm
caller like i have never been called in with a country of three or 50 million people, who goal is not to call everyone been to call people who are likely with each individual. where fewer and fewer people are picking up the phone, other people who do pick up the phone or answering the text or e-mail, are they similar to the neighbors for the coworker. are we getting a good sample of the electorate were things going tors continue to wrestle with. >> you can pick up the phone and you can call us. 2027 great 8000 and 8001 for republicans and 8002 for independence. what races do you want to talk about house or senate. it 2022 and we can go even 2024 as well. melissa in new york.
1:53 pm
democrat good morning. >> hi i'm just puzzled how nathan is come to the conclusion the it's always comes out when trump is on the ballot. he's only been on the ballot in 2016 and also the misinformation clearly from the previous caller is believing a lot of things that are out there. when people investigate things instead of just listening to a politician that wants to be elected practically they could do anything. this is ridiculous. how does republicans and how did bush win. is there anothere way. >> sure. melissa, one of the key things that stand out to me is 2018 when president trump was on the ballot. he ran one in 2016 but in 2018, a republican were more energized internet in greater numbers because they were probably shocked the president trump one they wanted to send a message. in the full trump coalition,
1:54 pm
don't think the full trump coalition came out in 2018 and that is why democrats did so well vertically in the house. the republicans did okay in the senate but it was largely because of the states that were out and the losses were different then with a good bit. but when trump was on the ballot, his ability to bring out all aspects of the trump coalition wiki and that's why the race was closer than what many folks expected. republicans can still win and in 2022, we started the show by talking about how republicans are inw good positions to take over the house. there are extremely close in the senate but i don't know that we have wrestle completely with the fact that the trump coalition is not just republicans. or that there are parts of the trump coalition the doat not lie republicans just like theyst dot like democrats. they think that mitch mcconnell
1:55 pm
and the politicians and the republicans russian a part of the as well that all of the democrats have dropped so it president trump is on the ballot and giving them a reason to turn out, why would they vote for some of these republicans. i think that it's a key question is possible for them to do that based on other issues that are important. i just don't think it's a guarantee. >> from president trump to president biden, a lot of criticism back in 2010 of president obama not doing more to help save house seats in the midterm election. where does president biden appear to be. >> president biden right now, the keeping and he can do for democrats is to try to do a good job and try to keep us job approval ratings and try to keep it in good shape so that voters do not have this anger or resentment purchase dissatisfaction with the punished democrats for it. and you're exactly right johnny, the president obama and the
1:56 pm
doomed investment through this somewhat with president obama that in 2008, the election and he won an indignant 2010, he was on the ballot in democratic turnout suffered it. democrats got clobbered in 2012 he went to reelection in 2014 republicans have a great cycle in the full democratic and full obama coalition didn't turn out in thein same numbers. so this is not a new dynamic of president trump and the republican party. this something we've seen particularly when the party becomes primarily released at the top a following of a person rather than just a set of specific issues or an ideology. >> we touched on that market kelly race in arizona. this pundit democrats. >> good morning. i was calling because
1:57 pm
mr. gonzalez said it was under, no. the local in phoenix all of the time. for years. [inaudible]. so what is going on in arizona especially in the phoenix area is doing everything they can to change the votes back at it trying to figure out how they can change the votes. there shocked that arizona went to the democrats. which did not shock the people who live here. it is changing. in the republicans can't handle it. anyway that is my comment. that is run locally. >> thank you linda for bringing that up. there is probably in a versionth of it with or without the legal disclaimer. we need to be informed that but you are there and i will take this we should it listen to what
1:58 pm
you're saying and what you're doing their . arizona, what is striking is arizona is your right, there are states that are changing in arizona is one of them. and with the growth particularly in the suburban areas, the voters that have a college degree which we are sing increasingly, this one of the dividing line to one of the key tells with voters with a college degree have been grabbed turning towards the democrat voters andee once without a degree or voting more republican in arizona is an example of that. and there are still some republicans who want to relitigate what happened and really challenge the official certified results when the republicans governor and officials who helped oversee the process have been saying that this is the result of what happened in the republicans are trying to see the data in the process i'm not sure how
1:59 pm
productive that will be reticulated to independent voters. maybe for the republicans to keep the base energized but not sure those folks in the middle are really excited to see this relitigation one forever. >> and we add that web ad that we talked about, this is mlb on twitter saying that vote and is one of the most effective person i have seen her campaign ads supporting their chosen candidates. who wouldat you recommend to gin in the cycle when it comes to outside groups on the 2022. >> while everyone else except for you and me john, as a normal job and a normal life. as the same answers going to be to try to get as many pieces apostolatele not focus on a sine row because the campaigns are complex organisms and there's not any one issue or one thing it's usually drivingat them.
2:00 pm
it will depend on the race in the district both sides will be in some districts where they have a candidate feel like they can get behind and endorsed but y that's going to be in every district to predict so is going to be a collection of these groups and figures. >> your saying that this is not a normal job. >> let's be real. this is not a normal life for most americans. >> good morning. ... ... i am wondering if he hady insights into the upcoming election in 2022. guest: great question. one of the last districts to be
2:01 pm
called, to be finalized, congresswoman tenney who lost and came back, i think she she was aided by president trump's performance in the district and president trumpas getting more votes in the district by biden helped pull her across the line. what we are watching in new york as with other states is the redistricting process and in new york the new york personal lost eight districts, as you know, but the other viewers may not know new york law state district in apportionment the redistricting process is a little bit convoluted and there is a commission but essentially the democrats and the legislator and basically do what they want in the end and so we are watching to see what that looks like and how much the 22nd district changes and that will impact the congresswoman's reelection chances. one scenario is that over further into western new york with the 23rd district congressman tom reed who announced he is not running for
2:02 pm
reelection that district, his district for then be dissolved ouinto neighboring districts but districts like the 22nd could change as well and so i would expect unless republicans, unless the political environment shifts significantly against republicans i think her or her district changes i think that congressman tenney will start the cycle as the favorite to win in the term. >> host: you briefed on that upcoming election in new mexico to replace former congers men, congresswoman deb holland with all these districts changing because ofng redistricting whats the point of playing in a special election before we eventually get too the actual election in november of 2022. >> guest: great question. the first thing is right now both parties need every seat they can get because it is just
2:03 pm
right now speaker pelosi can only afford a couple to a handful of defectors or absences on a vote because of the margin, the majority is so narrow, so you know, the benefit for republicans say taking over a seat like this and right now and only holding it, let's say, for a year and half is that they have one motorboat or one more vote to stop to stop democrats from doing what they want to do. and in anothernd point that the special election can be larger-than-life and they can become rallying points that even, i can almost guarantee that if republicans very narrowly lose this race in a district that one by one by 23 they will be starting from the hilltops that a tsunami or a wave is and try to use it to get recruit other candidates and get them into districts that might look very democratic and paper and say look how close we came
2:04 pm
in this democratic district. you know, get into this race over here or over there and to try to use special election outcomes to gain momentum for the broader battleground in the general election. >> host: interesting article from roll call on this topic. do you want to read more? special elections and redistricting to play or not to play. roberto, houston, texas, independent, good morning. >> caller: yes, i'm truly independent and voted both sides. i wanted to ask you concerning the hispanic voters we don't vote as a block but i would like to ask you i think i have a unifying issue and that is, mi still on? >> host: yes, sir. >> caller: tiokay. is abortion -- here in texas a state legislator has a six week window of which a woman can abort because it gets my attention because it's called a human heartbeat bill and if
2:05 pm
there is a human heartbeat ator six weeks i'm against abortion niat that point and your opinio, please. >> guest: sure. first, just looking at the national polling going back a little bit to six weeks a majority of americans believe that is still within the window where they are comfortable with access to abortion being in the first trimester. now, texas those are the national numbers and those numbers could be different in a state like texas. i have not seenho polling specifically broken down that way with regard to texas. some of this legislation is, there are multiple motivations to it and it could be because republicans in particular believe that this is something that has to be done and this is a life issue and another motivation could be to try to get it up to the supreme court
2:06 pm
to try to get as many cases like this to the supreme court in order to make so that the court particularly with new appointed associate justices from president trump to try to get a more favorable ruling with regard to roe v wade. i think there are multiple motivations. on the hispanic vote, hispanic voters do not vote as a block. one of the reasons why president trump did better in 2020 then expectations is because he did better with hispanic voters. part of it was in south florida with cuban-americans also in texas with the rio grande valley in one of the things we are watching specifically is how much of that growth with hispanic votersof was specific o president trump or was it, or was it to the republic and party in general and this comes back to what we were talking about earlier about when trump is not on the ballot can republicans maintain those numbers that he pulled with hispanic voters in
2:07 pm
2020 and can he or can he keep that momentum without progress going? we will does not know until we get closer to elections. >> host: talk about what we are watching, who is weak? how many does it take to keep an eye on every house and senate race and also the presidential race and governors as well? >> guest: we are a lean, mean fighting machine. my colleague jacob who has been on c-span and i'm sure we will be on washington journal in the future we have other contributors and you should follow jacobto on twitter also ryan met the moto and brian washer who do great work, particularly on election nights and crunching data for us. theyth are ones -- they will be taking our jobs before too long. we arest just killing time till they take over. >> host: at nathan gonzales on twitter if you want to follow nathan gonzalez. he's also in houston, texas, ed, democrat, good morning. >> caller: yes, good morning, sir. i'm interested in the district that goes from san antonio and
2:08 pm
that's been competitive for the last ten or 20 years and i note the republican was elected i guess his name is gonzales, i'm not sure. is he a relative? >> guest: i'm not sure but we can check that out. >> caller: where will the democrats put that? >> guest: unclear yet. tony gonzales, i don't believe he was the chief tight and for the kansas city chiefs but we are waiting to see what the republicans do at the districts of texas and it's one of the four key states that we are watching in redistricting for texas, georgia, north carolina and georgia where republicans are in charge and we will see what thate district is up lookig like and i expect it to be competitive and it is been one of the most competitive districts for maybe ten years running now but we just have to fwait to see what the field los like and also that factor with hispanic voters and was it a trump something specifically president trump was able to form
2:09 pm
that coalition or can republicans do it or can democrats really make some gain ground fact that they lost in 2020. >> host: to the steel city, kaplan, independent, good morning. >> caller: good morning. the reason i am calling is i've heard that gentleman say that the republicans and democrats, everybody [inaudible] that is so true. i have one suggestion. i watch cnn, msnbc, fox and i read the papers and i looked all over the place so i can get to some truth. you cannot sit there and watch one channel and hear everything because i've watched cnn and i have watched fox and i thought i was watchingd two different countries. the only thing i'm saying is voters have an obligation to be better informed and i don't know if you agree with me or not.
2:10 pm
>> yes, kathleen. >> guest: i agree with you that to the extent that people in the course of the rhythm of their job and their families that to diversify your information and take i think is valuable and i agree with you that if you watch one channel or another you will get just a entirely different view of america and i know that seems but it is striking and not just how some media outlets coverbd issues but it is that ty cover entirely different issues andnt focus on different parts f what is going on in the country and so i agree, kathleen. i would say that 36 seconds or however long that you summarized that and encourage people that if you can diversify where you get your information a little bit i think that will help.
2:11 pm
>> host: from foxnews this is the headline, haley heading to iowa in june is sparking more 2024 speculation. should we talk aboutar a gop by mary and 2024? >> guest: we can. the first question we need to answer is whether president trump is running again and i think there's a very real possibility that he does run. if he does, they will not be much of a primary. at least on the current trajectory. if he runs, he is still the most popular politician or person within the republican party among republican primary voters and he will, again, right now if there were a republican primary right now he would annihilate any one who runs against him and a lot of people were talking about would simply not run and let's let's fund that if are talking about ron because then the field will be wide open and there will be 20 or 30 candidates including former ambassador haley and everyone and their heir apparent and it i
2:12 pm
don't know how it will play out but i know it will be a lot of candidates vying for to lead the revolving and party in the next chapter if president trump decides he doesn't want to do it. >> host: tom cotton going to iowa next month and it was mike pompeo was there last month and who else am i missing making the iowa pilgrimage? >> guest: specifically iowa i'm not sure. i have not checked the iowa travel logs over the weekend but you know, we can't forget my former vice president mike pence is probably going to run again and a couple of outsiders who think they can capture the outsider mantle that the president was able to ride in on but it will be wild and crazy. >> host: just about ten or 15 minutes left here with nathan gonzales of inside elections and we talk about the races that you want to talk about in 2022 or
2:13 pm
2024 and i should note inside elections is .com. this is hilton in stanford, north carolina, independent, good morning. >> caller: good morning. >> guest: good morning. >> caller: good morning. >> host: what is your question or comment, hilton? >> caller: my comment is i was listening about the news and i don't look at the news on both sides but i look at what is going on in the country from everything going with jobs flying, higher taxes, higher food and the working man is having a hard time to make a living. it's a mess. >> host: how do you find out what's going on in the country, hilton? where you go to find out what's going on in the country? >> caller: i live and i look and i see and i want to go to the grocery store and to go get gas.
2:14 pm
i sit in the lines for 15 or 20 minutes and it's a shame shutting down the pipeline. it's just ridiculous. it's not for the working class. >> host: hilton in stanton's bird, north carolina. nathan gonzales. >> guest: hilton is not alone either in what he is seen and what he is feeling. the questions in my mind are what is the country look like one year plus from now? when we are getting closer to the 2022 elections what is the state of the economy, how comfortable are people feeling with the direction of the country because i think that is really going to drive particularly voters in the middle. let's face it, john. at least the majority and i will even say most americans probably already decided whether they will support a democrat or republican and key congressional races in 2022 but there are voters in the middle that are persuadable and that persuasion
2:15 pm
from what is the current state of our country because then it a job performance review on democrats who control the white house and control the house and senate and the voters will, you know, give them that review in november of 2022. >> host: maryland, democrat, good morning. >> caller: good morning, men. good morning, america. i think the republicans on capitol hill by putting all their eggs in terms basket that people are betting against democracy. is that what you are saying, mr. gonzales? also, the governor of florida he is holdingid of appointing somee to the seat where i forget that democrats name that died and he's not appointing anybody
2:16 pm
until next year sometime. what to the people of florida say about that? i'm just betting on democracy. i do not believe americans want and it authoritarian government. >> guest: first of all, you talking to the second partst of the question and comments like elsie hastings who passed away and governor santos -- governor desantis said it will be a w special election but did delay scheduling that special election until late this year and i'm not convinced that if that district had been a republican district thatat the governor would not he found a way to get that special election is scheduled sooner in order to get another republican up on capitol hill sooner. you asked what he voters think so i have t not seen specific da on what voters think about that but that is the situation going
2:17 pm
on there and the special election will not be delayed this year. in terms of, you know, whether republicans are making an antidemocracy play, what we're seeing right now is still the influence of president trump within the republican party but there are a lot oft republicans on capitol hill that are fearful of doing something that will anger the president because they don't want that backlash, not just for him but from his voters. his voters that like him more than they like them and so he is still leading and guiding even though he's not on twitter and facebook butan still guiding the republican party because of his influence over the republic and voters because the republicans don't want to face primaries or they don't want the threat of primary challenges and i want to get out to the buoy base act so thatay is one that i won't maket to at some point this year.
2:18 pm
>> host: before then we take you to the yellow hammer state, this is bruce, republican, good morning. >> caller: good morning. i want to ask you guys a question talking about nikki haley running for president and she might not run if trump runs. what if trump runs and they announced together that he will be the vice president so what do you think about that? >> guest: that is certainly a possibility. i think that that's a viable scenario and i don't think she would run against him but having a trump haley to get is, i wouldn't bet against that. i would not my baby sock tickets against that. i'm a little surprised that i thought there was a nonzero chance that he could have switched or would have tried to switch tickets for 2020. obviously, that did not happen but yeah, i'm not going to rule out a trump haley to get.
2:19 pm
>> host: in alabama, karen, alabaster, good: morning. >> caller: good morning. i have just a couple of comments. the first one though is regarding your poles. the only pollster that got it right in 2016 and 2020 was the trafalgar group. nobody else got it right for the most part. why should we believe your poles, number one. number two, when you say people of trump are hijacking the republic and party and he said this a minute ago that it is base that is taking over the party. the people of america, that whoh is taking over the party, not trump. we want the swamp drained and we want our country back so, thank you. >> guest: well, with trafalgar i don't believe that their polling particularly in the closer states up in the upper midwest had biden leading and i can go back and look at those and see if they indeed had biden winning
2:20 pm
those key states and biden winning the presidency and i'm happy to be wrong if my .ecollection is wrong on that >> host: do you do poles? >> guest: i do not. we are not posters. we try to digest as much polling as possible, republican polling, democratic polling, public, private,oc media, partisan, whatever it is we try to look at is much polling as possible but we are not posters. thank you for that. and with the republican party, you know, i certainly did not use the term hijacked. that was i guess your paraphrase of what i said.es the parties can do whatever they want. it doesn't matter what party they want to take the direction of the party in or who they choose to leave the party but i'm just trying to explain the dynamics are right now president trump is leading the party and what i heard your comment was some of what i was trying to explain in that there are voters
2:21 pm
that are tired of both parties and tired of republicans and democrats and all the swamp which is, i believe, the term that our caller used and so where do they vote when it comes to, you know, when it comes to 2022 is a key question or do they vote at all and who is -- are the democratic politicians and members are they equally the swamp compared to republican members? >> host: from our text messaging service, manny, california wants to know why you think rubio is vulnerable in florida. >> guest: i think florida is still about a ground state. i'm making a distinction and that's not a tossup or a swing state but i think it is hard to call something a swing state when one party has one the biggest election in the most recent big election but we are talkings about margins of less than 1% or one or two, less than 2% and republicans have shown
2:22 pm
that they win the big races there but it has been close. it has been close and it's usually involve tens or millions of dollars in spending so i call florida solid or safety republican and i think overestimates the republican advantage but rubio will start thel race with the advantage ad when we do our more traditional ratings and breaking them out it won't start as a tossup race but start as a republican advantage. >> host: time for one or two more phone calls here. centennial state, ray in aurora, independent, good morning. >> good morning. thank you for taking my call. i am of asian american descent but also a registered libertarian so wrap your noodle around that. as far as my media diet you know going back to sort of an earlier call of course there is c-span but i read the reason .com and we are fortunate enough to have
2:23 pm
hq world demand which is a japanese public broadcaster as well as georgia dw broadcaster and just thought i would ask about colorado's sixth district is where i reside. i did not feel as competitive as 2020 as it did in 2018 and of course our state will gain another state in the house but i was wondering if i could get your take as far as the competitiveness of that district in 2022 but also redistricting my impact since we will get a new seat. >> guest: ray, i think there was a significant trump drag from president trump on republicans down the ticket. colorado was fairly close in 2016 and i believe it was four or five points that hillary clinton one colorado and 13 points for bidenin and i think e saw that filter down to the down ballot congressional and state
2:24 pm
legislative races. colorado is gaining an district which is interesting in the state is that this is or will be the first cycle that there were commissions redistricting commissions for the congressional district in the state legislative district since the coalition or the y and z amendment passed and now those are being implanted and so new wide open territory in terms ofe what could happen but the districts will have to change at least somewhat because there will be an additional seat there. until we get the lines it is hard to ultimately handicap who will be or which party stands to gain more together. >> host: of the day after we get the lines we will have you back and we will reassess everything. >> guest: as long as we know the candidates as well but the district lines are a good first step in the process. >> host: nathan gonzales with site elections, inside elections .com and always do appreciate the time. >> guest: yeah, thank you john. we will see you next time.
2:25 pm
>> on c-span's the weekly putting this pandemic into perspective. for the last year and half this doctor has been made countless media appearances to explain covid-19, the vaccines and the treatments and says we have made a lot of progress since the virus first came to the u.s. but it's not over yet. >> if we can keep going on vaccinations were about 62% of adults are now and if we get that number into the 70s and 80s the virus levels in our community will get very, very low. that is one part of management but keeping affection numbers low. i can imagine we have your change. in the past if you woke up one morning and you have fever or even not a fever but a runny nose, cold, sore throat but you still want to the office but that stuff will start changing. people never wore masks but i thank you will see more mask wearing. >> more of a conversation with adina brown university school of
2:26 pm
public health on c-span's the weekly and to be sure to listen and follow wherever you get your favorite podcast. >> u.s. senate is back at the top of the hour. lawmakers will continue work today on a bill creating new science and technology programs to try to help improve u.s. competition with china. they will also take a procedural vote this afternoon on president biden's picks for medicare and medicaid services. watch live senate coverage starting at 3:00 p.m. eastern here on c-span2. >> or topic in this half hour of the washington journal is race and public health. our guest is lily tyson head, voices for a father's legacy foundation and good morning. start by explaining what the foundation does and whose legacy you are focused on?wh >> guest: good morning. john, thank you so much for having me today. excuse me.

24 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on