Skip to main content

tv   Jesse Watters How I Saved the World  CSPAN  November 10, 2021 1:58pm-2:42pm EST

1:58 pm
for book tv. tonight i look at recent bestsellers. will hear from authors and journalists including bob woodward and robert costa on their latest. after that it's victor david hanson and his book the dying citizen later conservative commentator ben shapiro on his bestseller the authoritarian movement. that starts at 8 pm eastern on c-span2. follow along on c-span now our new video app. >> what's the latest political events anytime anywhere on our new mobile video app. access top highlights and discover new podcasts all for free. download c-span now today.
1:59 pm
>> welcome back. to the lincoln presidential library. my name is jim byron and i'm executive vice president of the richard nixon foundation and it's my pleasure to welcome you back to the only, this is the nixon foundations only second in person interim event. it's tough to say. since march 2020. and the biggest crowd. the biggest crowd that we've assembled since then and our first book signing event in ar nearly 17 months so thank you to all of you. for being here, for being part of it. i'd like to start by recognizing a few special guests here with us today beginning with christopher nixon cox,member of the board
2:00 pm
of directors of the nixon foundation . and the grandson of president mrs. nixon, sandy quinn, a member of the board of directors of the nixon foundation and former director of the nixon foundation. councilwoman beth haney of the city of yorba linda there she is . and councilman jean hernandez . and a special welcome tonight to emma waters, jeff p's wife. thank you for joining us. emma and jesse left their four month old baby to be with us tonight so we know it's tough on them and we're
2:01 pm
doubly appreciative to them for being here. how many of you are members eof the nixon foundation? i want to see everybody's handschewed up . that's pretty good. how many of you have renewed your membership sense covid? that's better than i was expecting. if you're nota member you will receive all kinds of special benefits . >> .. please welcome jennifer warren. [cheering and applauding] >> i think every host fox news
2:02 pm
channel has graced this page. we've had greg got felt. [cheering] 's we've had dana marino. [cheering] wen have one williams. let's hope he is not watching. [laughter] but we haven't had jesse waters. we are going to fix that tonight.o jesse joined fox news in 2002 as a production assistant became a correspondent for the o'reilly factor he became known for man on the street interviews which of course we join me in welcomig
2:03 pm
jesse waters. [cheering and applauding] ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪ jennifer and jesse, the state stage is yours. >> welcome to california. >> thank you for having me. i cannot believe. [cheering and applauding] you guys invited juan williams here before me. [laughter] >> i know.
2:04 pm
[laughter] i spent all weekend and i read your book and i left it. if you haven't read it yet, it's equal parts memoir, current offense analysis which is really cool and comedyh . i love it because visualizing you talking to me, i think you did a great job so let me go on, why did you write this during an election year, impeachment part two, most amount of? >> i needed the money. [laughter] i'm not going to lie, i needed the money. [laughter] i had gotten to a place in my life was time to reflect on 20 news at fox news and covering the news from the o'reilly factor to "watters world" and i wanted to share these stories. i decided to write the book in a
2:05 pm
month later the pandemic hit so i have no excuse, there is nothing else to do. [laughter] except write the book so we got it all down and we got out from a perfectly timed, i hit the number one spot right before he got his book out. [laughter] [cheering] >> congratulations on that, it's a big deal. your first book a bestseller. >> that's right your times is number two, i would just say they were were incorrect. [laughter] [cheering] >> in the book you talk about o'reilly as a talk radio person and you talked about your mom, a whole class of people influence you, who you think is the biggest influence jesse watters -- >> are you making me choose between my mom and o'reilly?
2:06 pm
>> the entire nixon presidential library. >> that's where you are wrong. [laughter] she's not laughing. [laughter] i was inebriated in college one night in the dorm room and woke up from my stupor c-span was on the television and i saw the republican politicians on the floor talking about god knows what in the history major, they sounded exactly what the founding fathers proposed from a personal responsibly and i had an awakening. in my republican? [laughter] i thought, i amth a republican. the next day that was it.
2:07 pm
[applause] my mother hated limbaugh. i would make my mom listen to limbaugh on long car rides. [laughter] i think one time we were listening and there was a monologue about reform and i think she nearly drove the car off the road. [laughter] grandma literally drove my mom crazy. i said to myself, i love this guy. [laughter] so there was a bit of rebellion there but for me, here's the first one who grabbed me and after that, o'reilly took hold of me and then basically leeched me out to the country. [laughter] >> we just met tonight buto'
2:08 pm
watching you, you are a friend of limbaugh, even folks like your mom listen and you have the direct style of asking questions like that so i can see how that bit you but i want to get back to your mom for a second. >> toshort. [laughter] >> i hope mom wasn't to my show every day, she's dedicated. are you insane? these kinds of things. [laughter] i know my mom has influenced me into wanting to talk to all such of people. what did your mom do for you because you do not agree politically? my mom was very important in making me be nice to people. right? [laughter] that's why i was so polite. i'm very well mannered.ce [laughter] why are you laughing at?
2:09 pm
[laughter] >> i've seen the argument i think i am well mannered. [laughter] that something that was important to her mom to make sure i was nice to everyone no matter if it's the janitor, the ceo, a homeless person, liberal. [laughter] i just had to treat everybody with respect. >> somebody is playing bingo over there. [laughter] >> so i try to treat everybody with respect when i'm on the street or sitting next to one i try to respect nobody everybody no matter who they are. >> you are a funny guy. he's funny, isn't he? [cheering] it's funny because conservatives
2:10 pm
laugh we can have a good time and laugh at ourselves, right? liberals can't. in the book you talk how liberals don't appreciate comedy. everybody is just making political statements. why do you think the left is afraid of comedy? >> well, i laugh at myself because there's a lot of material there. [laughter] but that's self-deprecating humor, it's critical to what i do because i can't take myself too seriously or think you'll people i would think i'm arrogant, i'm not going to say it. humor disarms people especially on the street when i'm dealing with these rascals so one of the things liberals have done is try to police conservative humor recently. very effective at ridicule and
2:11 pm
he's had that for a while about the daily show before heam was moving the needle even on policy. republicans were terrified of this guy and he was just roasting them in the show is very influential. then he dumped out and now lives on a farm. when conservatives try to enter that realm of comedy, liberals don't want to do it because they know how effective comedy is in radical is number one, if you allow conservatives to have a in their arsenal, it can be damaging to the liberal cause when conservatives are funny and it humanizes them and makes them likable conservatives can't be likable. [laughter] right? we are likable and we are h actually real people. if we are real people and we can't be canceled because they try to dehumanize us right?
2:12 pm
they try to say they are naziswe and racists and bigots and not even worth the conversation, not even worth being in the industry so they are able test the waters. how will waters feed his family? how is waters going to feed jesse junior?ma [laughter] that's why they are so uptight conservative humor. >> we live, i'm guessing most of us in this room live in california. it's not the easiest thing to be a conservative. [laughter] >> i live in new york. [laughter] >> i get it.
2:13 pm
you talked about getting attack on the subway. >> but he thought i was somebody else. [laughter] >> longest he thought that. human college kids, you ask president trump if he drinks and smokes weed. >> imagine if he did.an [laughter] >> i don't know if i'm ready for. [laughter] >> just say no. >> what advice can you give thit room for people who have to ask hard questions everyday or maybe speak out to their coworkers, their bosses?
2:14 pm
you've asked tough questions and put yourself in cap situations, what advice can you give to californians functioning in a very blue state? >> i want to give anybody advice is going to get them fired so i think everybody has to use their best judgment. i wouldn't tell a college kid to just go in guns blazing to their professor start a fight. i wouldn't do that but i think they need to ask tough questions and realize their college professors may be indoctrinating them and they are smart enough to discern the difference between propaganda and what the actual lesson plan is but if you are in a corporate setting, that can be dangerous. corporations now have gone woke so i wouldn't put myself in a position where i risk my job to
2:15 pm
say build the wall. [laughter] right? you go home and to say that. [laughter] i wouldn't say that to my boss if my boss were a democrat. but i think obviously you are passionate about what you believe in and you are not going to bolster your rhetorical revolver so it's important for people to take a stand when they need to take a stand like you see with critical race theory. people are now going to school board hearings. no one goes to a school board hearing, it's the most boringik thing in the world. why would you do that on a tuesday night? but it's so polluted what they are doing with these children and racism that you're getting parents who have never even voted to drive to school board hearing and scream at these
2:16 pm
stupid officials. [applause] [cheering and applauding] >> so republicans traditionally called mitt romney a sexist, racist, he's going to back down. i always say trump had no shame upon. it would be taken down. make some good points in your book where you say republicans have to be evil so liberals can be good. how does the gop not go back parts we are seeing that shift of republicans starting to go back writing hard against woke culture, can we stick with i cast the trump style? >> what the democrats did, their
2:17 pm
opposition evil. they do that because if somebody running against the default thaa the ends justify the means. they can do anything. if you t run against hitler and you can break the t law to defet hitler and call hitler anything into anything, you don't even have to debate substance if your opponent is evil because why would you even get in that conversation? it's a lazy way for them to move away from the rate but it's also a slick way of demonizing your opponent in her makes them feel my opponent is evil, i must be good to start the psychological copout. trump, very accurate, does not have a shame phone, among other things. [laughter] country was hungry for that. trump got elected a little on policy but mostly on attitudes.
2:18 pm
right? 's attitude. he galvanized the country in a way the country was already galvanized but he gave that part of the country a voice. every time he dismissed his ridiculous allegations against him or phony scandals rbs attacks the basement wild because the reason portal is the mob only goes for the softest. not only looking for easy penetration in the you're constantly caving in they are going to win every time but as a parent, the most important word a parent has is no. [applause] so a mad dog just needs to learn how to say no. we are not going to change the name, we are not going to fire anybody or resign.
2:19 pm
go look for another soft spot and that's what the mob will do. if they meet opposition, trump what be in opposition, he wouldn't budge. on the contrary, he holds the line on things on culture,y history, on political correctness and move in a different direction. that's what the mob does. you have to stand up to the mob. >> we learned in 2020 with the election while you are writing this book saw a lot of the lessons gop learned, we saw ballot harvesting. republicans lost a lot seats in california and now democrats are rolling it out the country. lessons to be learned in 2020 but do you think we've learned as the republican party do you think or what should president trump doing the midterm? what you think the chances are
2:20 pm
and how do you think you should or shouldn't be involved? >> trump is going to play games in the primaries with people he has personal vendettas against. [laughter] but is also a great fundraiser and will hold rallies and i think his endorsement track record is one so he will definitely be a big player. depending on how we do, and my opinion, there's for opponent who refuse critical race theory, the border, inflation, also known as gas prices and the crime wave. those are going to turn out for republicans and poser issues that are not isms. those are things that impact regular families. the price of gas, crime, open borders critical race theory
2:21 pm
because it affects the children. parents and voters feel that. it's not like russia collusion, it's not racism -- it's not in the sky, it's real stuff. they made moms angry. number one rule in politics, don't make moms map. [applause] so moms are angry, that means dads are angry and that means big turnout so i think you'll take back the senate a big wave in the house, historically that's the trend unless republicans screwed up which there is a chance of at that time, trump is going to look at the landscape gauge, and my going to take another shot? he's going to have to make that decision for himself he also has a nice life.
2:22 pm
in his with his family, allth everyday. so if he doesn't run. [applause] >> what is the likelihood of being on the ticket? >> what we think of trump waters? [cheering] that's a powerful ticket. >> i know. >> i can't take that. [laughter] i told you. it's undrafted.
2:23 pm
just send them that the. >> i landed a day out and it was $4.79. >> how much it cost fill up from a $70. it's unbelievable. ninety-nine? this leads to my question about california. we have a recall election going on. [cheering] i think it's in that race. [cheering] so i ask you use saved
2:24 pm
christmas. you have saved the world, how in the world do we save california? and you have 30 seconds. [laughter] >> i don't know, is california beyond saving? >> no, look at this room. [inaudible] >> not being an expert on california, what they have done with illegal immigration has stacked the deck against the republican party so huge problem there. then you have, what a super majority in the state legislature? i assume the california supreme court is not too conservative?
2:25 pm
>> no. >> okay. what was the question again? [laughter] >> you saved the world, can you save california? >> i would just say you have to start at the local level. i know orange county is where it's at. [cheering] if i was a conservative living here, i would try to depoliticize my campaign. i think caitlin has tried to do that she's having trouble with it but the brand of republicanism taking a beating in california because you are so outnumbered so if you could just make it about performance management because state has been poorly managed. >> it's hard when you're eatinga
2:26 pm
dinner. [cheering] >> you start of the school board, at the council level from of the state senate level, you start small and you start winning small and thinking about management and make it about how families lives are being impacted by poor policies. then showcase that impact the stories of these families and that's a way to put a face on it don't play into the social stuff, they will try to get you on race and transgender stuff. >> every time. >> every time and then you aren't on defense. that's how you in california. [applause] >> make it about them. >> don't make it about you, think about them. >> we have a lot that can be done.
2:27 pm
you talk a lot about you individually, you save the world for crying out loud but. [laughter] i don't want to give away a spoiler alert at the end of your book because you are all going to read it soon by your focus on how we all have to change our situation in the conservatism is a personal responsibility andwe you respect that, everything centers around waters world, all of yours so how did you come to that conclusion? >> i know you shared my book rather than me, very good but i found love. [applause] >> so sweet. >> i've gotten to a place in my
2:28 pm
life i thought i could write this book to who i was and what the world was all about so i decided to share these stories and really share my life in this book and the book is about my life and how i live my life through fox news, through my e liberal mother and my experiences trump and o'reilly and all about. if anybody knows me, they know i needed saving. [laughter] and she saved me. since you know it's my world, that's just the world but if everybody can save themselves in the world would be a better place.f and liberals do this all the time, liberals are always trying to fix everybody else's problems.
2:29 pm
they need to fix their own problems. rights? [inaudible] >> what are you doing tomorrow? >> i should just stay in california. [cheering] >> 102nd answer, what did you learn about yourself writing this book? >> i learned i'm a pretty good lightgh writer. [cheering] [inaudible] [laughter] >> jennifer, jesse, thank you. let's give them a round of applause. [cheering and applauding]
2:30 pm
>> we are tight on time so we would just do a couple of questions. then we will move to the book signing, i apologize from weig cannot do photos with your bones. our first question is going to come from somebody special. he wants to be here tonight, he's a colleague of yours, jesse. if you are face the screen -- >> hello, nixon library. [inaudible] the way he looks -- [inaudible] hello, nixon library. i have one question for jesse. how was working for greg gutfeld influence the way works and everything in general? i would like to hear from him.
2:31 pm
[laughter] [applause] >> the wine. [laughter] one of the chapters in the book, i write direct quotes he says during the commercial break last month while they found commercial breaks, conversations, we probably have the best show on television but also the shortest. [laughter] greg would get canceled in about one day. i'll give you an example, this is a direct quote from got felt in a commercial break. the best way to kill your wife take her hunting. [laughter] that's a terrible. [laughter] i'm not answering that stupid
2:32 pm
question. >> right here in the center row. >> one of the questions my wife and i want to know, no. [inaudible] >> nothing with me the more delicious i was.da it clear, i have a target on my lap i have to be careful because on television but i believe i was about to do a pretty sensitive topic obviously women and i think it was a peloton commercial so it was o about weight loss and wivs and it was treacherous. so i added commentary i thought was on the edge and i said dana, i'm about to address this i want you to hold my hand and emma had
2:33 pm
literally just had jesse junior. we had gone back from the hospital that day and i would have had to spend the first entire week after jesse junior had gone back from the hospital. 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. recording the audiobook and i didn't want to do that so i had another guy
2:34 pm
read it with a much cooler voice and i have. [applause] >> have you asked john kasich how he feels? >> i don't talk to john. [laughter] we don't talk anymore. believe it or not, he was a lot more difficult to deal with #if you can believe it. >> to capture the youth of america, it seems we need to express values in a way that's funny, hip and cool. we talked about early, jimmy kimmel, steve colbert and it seemed like the fox network embraces the gap betweenns paris and the rest of you in the young
2:35 pm
conservative media, is that something we can look forward to seeing more of with you young conservativeis voices? [applause] >> being conservative is cool. cool when you are 80 and cool when you are 19 because you have the facts on your side and you are unafraid and that's always the renegade attitude in this country. the risktakers, the pioneers, loudmouthed, the jokester's. people are pointing at you. [laughter] so the people willing to put themselves out there and say things that could be controversial about those people have always been involved in comedy. comedy is when you push that edge and you can't push that edge seriously -- so you have to
2:36 pm
have a platform like box willing to stand by people willing to take risks because you can't develop that personality if they are going to get canceled or if they have a small platform no one sees the fox i believe has done a goodau job supporting edgier younger funnier, more politicallye conservative young talent and i think you should expect to see more about. now i feel horrible. [laughter] in my getting old? in my still young? >> my name is bob, i'd like you to answer, if fox would start speaking english. they say they are going to take away your fossil fuels, i ask every buddy at the gym and they say is that something to do with dinosaurs? they want to take away your gasoline and your oil.
2:37 pm
also tell them stop saying jim crow. i asked the people at the gym, what does that mean? they say, is not a bird or something? segregation. >> that is amazing. [laughter] i have no trouble dumbing it down. [laughter] one of the things i was so effective, he spoke like the folks. if you're smart, you don't have to try to sound smart. if you are actually intelligent, you don't have to prove how intelligent youe are by using very big words, right? you just want to communicate simply, powerfully and effectively and get right to it so i will no longer say fossil fuel. [laughter]
2:38 pm
[applause] or jim crow #. >> way back here mark we are going to take our last question and then we will get into the book signing. i will reiterate we do not do personalization signing, we got to be very quick. just like that was the largest crowd we've ever had. so last question. >> my name is chris, i have a question from how does fox network : for biden in arizona? >> you saved the best for last. [laughter] >> that was a decision obviously i have nothing to do with it so don't blame me. [laughter] [laughter]
2:39 pm
>> ladies and gentlemen, thank you, cliff let's give our speakers another hand. [applause] >> and of course, our guests come to the nixon library, we are giving jesse this commander-in-chief cap because he's commander-in-chief of comedy. [laughter] >> barry out make you all very much, i'll see you at the book signing. ♪♪ >> with the senate out of session, join us all this week for book tv. tonight, a look at recent bestsellers. authors and journalists including bob woodward and
2:40 pm
robert costa on the latest peril. after that, victor davis hanson in his book, the dying citizen. later commentator ben shapiro on his bestseller, the authoritarian movement start 8:00 p.m. eastern on c-span. you can access our programs online that booktv.org or follow along on c-span now. our new video app. ♪♪ >> book tv every sunday on macv features leading authors discussing the latest nonfiction books. 2:00 p.m. eastern, coverage of the brooklyn festival, conversation with heather mckee, author racism cost everyone and how we can prosper together. george packer, ways to overcome inequalities and division within the country. between the lines, a collection of interviews with over 170 people she met on the new york city subway in a conversation
2:41 pm
between paul oster and joyce on the writing plan. later, a discussion on the late nonfiction work about the last living survivor of their that it slave trade published in 2018. the oldest imprint by major publishing house devoted to the african-american. 10:00 p.m. eastern on "afterwards", doctor pol off at, head of the children's hospital of philadelphia of infectious disease division and director of the disease center, you bet your life from blood transfusions to mass vaccination, long risky history of medical innovation interviewed by doctor emily curley epidemiologist at johns hopkins university. march book tv every sunday on c-span2 find a full schedule on your program guide or watch online anytime at booktv.org. ♪♪ >> good evening.

26 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on