Skip to main content

tv   Jesse Watters How I Saved the World  CSPAN  December 28, 2021 1:00pm-1:44pm EST

1:00 pm
♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ .. >> welcome back to the nixon presidential library. [applause] my name is jim
1:01 pm
byron and i'm executive vice president ofthe richard nixon foundation and it is my pleasure to welcome you back . this isthe only , this is the nixon foundations only second in person east room event. it's tough to say. since march 2020. and the biggest crowd ... [applause] the biggest crowd that we've assembled since then and our first book signing event in nearly 17 months so thank you to all of you for being here and for being part of it. i'd like to start by recognizing a few special guests here with us today beginning with christopher nixon cox, a member of the board of directors of the nixon foundation . and the grandson of president and mrs. mixon sandy quinn, a member of the board of directors of the nixon foundation and former president of the nixon foundation. [applause] councilwoman brett
1:02 pm
haney of the city of yorba linda. there she is. councilman jean hernandez. [applause] and a special welcome tonight to emma waters, jesse's wife. thank you for joining us. >> and i just elect their baby to be with us and we know it's tough on them and we appreciate them for being here tonight. how many of you are members of the nixon foundation library? i want everybody's hand shooting up r. that's pretty good. how many have renewed your membership since covid u? that's better than i was expecting.
1:03 pm
if you're not a member i'd encourage you to look at it because you'll receive all sorts of special benefits including advanced ticket sales to events like this one and you can sign up at nixon foundation.org . i have the pleasure this evening of welcoming back to the next and library our moderator for tonight's conversation , jennifer horn . most of the morning answer on kr and a. you can hear jennifer every weekday with grant stitch field from 6 am to 9 am on a.m. 70 theanswer. please welcome jennifer horn . [applause] i think that every post of fox news channel has grazed this stage. wehad greg.feld . we've had dana perino.
1:04 pm
we had one williams. let's hope he's not watching. but we haven't had jesse watters so we're goingto fix that tonight . jesse joined the fox news channel in 2002 as a production assistant and became a correspondent from the o'reilly factor where he became known for his trademark man on the street interviewswhich we know him for . in our house waters world every saturday and he's a cohost on theaforementioned five . facebook, how i saved the world is available for purchase tonight in the nixon library gift shop or online. would you please join me in welcoming jesse watters.
1:05 pm
>>. [music] >> jennifer and jesse, the stage is yours. >> thank you for having me. i cannot believe. [applause] i can't believe you guys invited juan williams here. >> i've read your book and i loved it. if you haven't read it yet it is equal parts memoir, current events analysis which
1:06 pm
is cool and commonly. and i love that because as a fan of yours i visualize you talking to me and i think you did a good job giving us the voice. what made you decide to write this stuff during thepandemic , during the crazy election year. >> i needed the money. >> i'm not going to live, i needed the money. but i was at a point in my life where i had the time to reflect on 20 years at fox news and covering the news . and the o'reilly factor to waters world, i just wanted to share these stories. and i decided to write the book and then a month later the pandemic it so i had no excuse to write, there was nothing else to do except write the book so we got it all done and got it out perfectly timed so i hit the
1:07 pm
number one spot on the new york times list right before. [inaudible]. >> that's a big deal, >> and senior times number two i just needed cindy reamer. >> as a top radio person, you talked about your mom and you talk to people that influenced you. who is the biggest influence on jesse waters a man and jesse waters the tv personality. >> are you making me choose between o'reilly andmy mom ? >> you can say it in front of the entire nixon presidential library. >> that's where you're wrong. >> he's not watching.
1:08 pm
>> so i was in college one night in the dorm room and i woke up from my stupor and c-span was on the television and i saw the republican politicians on the floor pontificating. and as the history major they sounded exactly like what the founding fathers had proposed. personal responsibility and i then a republican. and i thought i am a republican. and let's say, the next day i turned on and that was it. [applause] [inaudible] and so i would make my mom listen to
1:09 pm
limbaugh on car rides. and i think one time we were listening and there was a monologue from rush about welfare reform and i think she nearly drove thecar off the road . limbaugh literally drove my mom crazy and i said to myself i love this guy. so there was a little bit of rebellion there but for me, rush was the one that grabbed me and after that o'reilly basically unleashed me onto e the country . >> we just met tonight but watching you, [inaudible] we have that direct set but i can see how that first year
1:10 pm
... [inaudible] she's benefited, she sends texts every day. [inaudible] where did i go wrong? i know that my mom has . influenced me and are not just living in the chamber. what did your mom do for you? >> my mom was very important in making me be nice to people. that's why i'm so polite. i'm very well mannered.. why are you laughing? >> i see your argument but i know. >> i think i'm well mannered. that is something important to her to make sure that i was nice to everyone and no matter if it's the janitor,
1:11 pm
the ceo or a homeless person. i just had to treat everybody with respect., and so i just decided to treat everybody with respect when i'm out on the street and sitting next to mom. i tried to respect everybody no matter who they are. and that was something she instilled in me . >>. [applause] >> it's funny. we can offer ourselves. in the book you talk about how they appreciate comity and it's all about the late-night shows, everybody's
1:12 pm
just making political statements. why did you decide to focuson comity ? >> i laugh at myself because there's a lot of material there . but that's self-deprecating humor is critical to what i do because i can't take myself too seriously. if people say i'm just an arrogant, i'm not going tosay it . so humor disarms people on the street when i'm dealing with these radicals. so one of the things liberals have done is we've tried to police conservative humor recently read john stuart is an expert at ridicule and he was really moving the needle on policy. republicans were terrified of this guy. he was just roasting them and the show was very influential . then to be dumped out, then
1:13 pm
conservatives try to enter that well, almost comity. liberals don't want to do it because they know how effective comity is. they know how effective ridicule is. and number one, if you allow conservatives to have that that could be damaging to the liberal cause but then conservatives are funny and also humanizes us and it makes them likable. and conservatives can't be likable. right? if we're likable and where actually real people and if we are real people, then we can't be canceled. because they tried to dehumanize us. they tried to say their nazis and racists and bigots and not even worth the conversation . not even worth it in the industry. so if you're able to cancel us, how are they going to
1:14 pm
feed their family? >> he's got a baby a. >> how does jesse watters going to feed jesse junior? so that's why i there are they are so uptight with conservative humor. >> most of them in this room orin title vii and it's not easy to be a conservative . right? >>. >> we can talk about that,i get it . so in how i see the world you talk about going all over you. >> he thought i was beat and set.
1:15 pm
>> you had you talk about sloppy judges, even college kids, you've asked president trump if he drinks. >> i did. >> imagine if he did. >>. [inaudible] just say number. >> so what advice would tyou give in this room for people who have to ask or maybe speak out to their coworkers, their bosses and not be afraid. you put yourself in tough situations, what advice can you give to californians just functioning in a blue utstate? >> i don't want to give any money advice that's going to get them fired . so i think everybody has to
1:16 pm
use their best judgment. i wouldn't sell a college kid you just go in guns blazing. to their professor and start fights. i wouldn't do that. but i think they need to ask tough questions and have to realize that their college professors may be indoctrinating them and they're smart enough to discern the difference between propaganda and what the actual lesson plan is but if you're in a corporate setting , that can be dangerous . there's no corporations have gone woke. so i wouldn't put myself in a position where i'd risk my job. just to say, build the wall. you go home and say that. i wouldn't say that to my boss.. my boss, we're done with that. but i think obviously we are
1:17 pm
passionate about what we believe in and you're not going to holster your rhetorical revolver and so it's important for people to take a stand and when they need to take a stand like you are seeing with critical race theory. people are now going to school board hearings. no one ever goes to a school board hearing. they're the most boring thing in the world. why would you do that on a tuesday night. it's sochpolluted what they're doing with these children and racism . as you're getting parents who even didn't even vote to drive to the school board hearing and scream at these stupid officials . that is something that's important. [applause] >> so republicans have traditionally, the republican
1:18 pm
party mitt romney assessed this and he's going to back down. a lot of republicans before trump, he kind of broke the mold republicans before trump would be taken down and you make an interesting test case in your book where you say it republicans have to be evil, thereby liberals can be good. how can the gop. [inaudible] you see that shift that republicans are telling us about, how can that i guess with the trumpism style. >> the liberals labeled the opposition evil and they do this cause if someone is evil then end justifies the means. you can do anything .
1:19 pm
[inaudible] you can say anything, you can do anything. you don't even have to debate the substance if your opponent is evilwhich is why would you even get in that conversation ? that's an easy way for them to avoid our debates that it's also a really slick way of demonizing your opponents and makes them feel if my opponent is evil i must be good so it's a psychological copout . trump very accurate did not have a shame barrier. among other things. and this country was hungry for that. trump got elected a little bit on policy but mostly on attitude. his attitude. and he dialed the got he dialed up the country and not but he gave that part ofthe country of voice . every time he dismissed these
1:20 pm
ridiculous allegations against him, these scandals or these bs attacks, the police went wild because the point of it all is the mom aims for the softest spot. they're always looking for easy peasant penetration. you're constantly caving then they're going to win every time. but as a parent now the most important word parent has is number so america just needs to learn how to say number we're not going to change the narrative, we're not going to fire anybody. for another soft spot and that's what the mob will do the mob meets opposition, stiff opposition trump this hit them back. if the country kind of holes the line on things on culture, on history, on
1:21 pm
political correctness, then they're in a different direction. that's what the mob does. you've got to stand up to the mob . >>. [inaudible] >> we saw in 2018 that ballot harvesting. [inaudible] so there are directions to be mold in 2020 but as the republican party, should president trump be in the mention, what do youthink that says and how do you think he should be ? >> trumps going to play games in the miprimaries with people who hehas personal vendettas against . [applause] but he's also a
1:22 pm
big fundraiser. and i think he's endorsement track record is excellent. so he'll definitely be a big part of it. then depending on how we do and i think it's there are four critical components to the attempts of republicans who issue critical race theory bordered inflation a.k.a. gas prices. and the primaries. those four things will drive the turnout for republicans and those issues are isms. those are things methat help regular families. jobs, crime, enforcing borders and critical race theory. and parents who sort of feel that, it's not like russia collusion. it's not racism. if not, it's real stuff. it's moms feel and then
1:23 pm
they're angry. number one, in politics, don't make moms mad. [applause] >> so moms are angry and dads are angry, that means big turnout. and so i think you know, you take that definitive way. that's the trend. unless republicans throw it up which there's a chance of. but at that point trump will look at the landscapeand gauge and take another shot . and he's going to have to make that decision for himself. obviously his support is still. [inaudible] so if he does it all i think there's a good chance.
1:24 pm
>> what do you think of trump waters? that's a powerful ticket. >> i would say just waters. send the checks. send them fast. i landed there and the 479.
1:25 pm
[inaudible] unbelievable, 99? [applause] >>. [inaudible] [laughter] i
1:26 pm
don't know. is california beyond closing? >> not being an expert in california, what they've done with illegal immigration is sad against the republican party.it's a huge problem there. then you have the supermajority in the state legislature. and i assume the california supreme court is not too conservative? what was the question again?
1:27 pm
>> i would say you've got to start at the local level. and i know orange county really is where it's at . if i was a conservative living here i would try to depoliticize my campaign. i think caitlin has tried to do that. she's having trouble with it but it's the brand of republicanism is has taken a beating in california because you're sooutnumbered . you can just make it about performance. about management. because this is state is woefully managed.so you start at the school board. start at the councillevel, start at the state senator level . you start small and you start winning small and make it
1:28 pm
about management. make it about how families lives are being impacted by or policies. and then showcase that impact . with stories of these families. and that's a way to put a face on it. and just don't play into the social stuff because they'll try to get you on race. and transgender stuff. every time. then you're on the fence. you don't win it on defense, that's how you win california . make it about them and how they've mismanaged. make it about them. >>.
1:29 pm
>>. [inaudible] but that's what conservatism is all about, personalresponsibility . it goes around why we do this so how did hecome to that conclusion ? >>. [inaudible] bii found love. >> awww. [applause] >> so i have this insight into who i was in the world wasall about . i thought i'd share these stories and share my life through this book and the book is about how i live my
1:30 pm
life through fox news, through my mother and through my experiences with trump and all of that and if anybody knows me they know i needed saving. and that saved me. and if everybody can save themselves, then we be in a better place. liberals do this all the time. liberals are alwaysd trying to fix everybody else's problems . they need to fix their own problems. all right? [inaudible]
1:31 pm
>> what are you doing tomorrow? >> i think we'll just stay in california . >>. [inaudible] what did you know about yourself better in this book? >> i learned i'm a pretty good writer. >> i guess that's it. >> give them a round of applause. >> we are short on time so we're going to give a couple of questions . there will be a book signing.
1:32 pm
>> first question is going to come to somebody special. he wanted to be here tonight. he will face the screen. [cheering] >> i have one question for jesse, how did the book influence the way he lived his life. and everything in general. i imagine it had a huge impactbut i'd like to hear it from him. thank you . >> one of the chapters of the
1:33 pm
book i actually read direct quotes from the club that we sell during the commercial break. now, if they sell the commercial break conversations because we have the best show on television but also distorted. it's going to get us canceled . i'll just give you an example, this is a direct quote from filled in a commercial break . the best way to kill your wife, take her hiking. that's terrible. w >> and i'm not answering that stupid question. >> right here in the center road, the first question from you guys . >> one of the questions my wife and i wanted to know is what was the genesis of the
1:34 pm
handholding of dana perino? >> so nothing would be more delicious for the left if i was canceled. it's clear. and we've been talking about that so i think be careful because we're on television. it's a pretty dicey topic. obviously involving women. and i think it was a palatine commercial so it was about weight loss and it was really treacherous. so i had some commentary that i thought was a little on the edge and i said i'm about to address the topic but i want you to hold on and squeeze it . if i start going off the rails. and she couldn't do that during the pandemic. so that's why i love it. >> thank you for being here.
1:35 pm
my question is do you about. did you read your own book for audible? >> i was going to read it but i had literally just saw jesse. and we had gathered back from thehospital that day . i would've had to spend the first entire week asking jesse and she got backfrom the hospital at 4 pm recording the audiobook . and i was not going to do that so i asked with a much cooler voice. >> john kasich, batting by? >> i don't talk thereon.
1:36 pm
>> i don't know ron personally but he's not backing him there . [inaudible] >> believe it or not, he's a lot more difficult to deal with than bill. >> hi jesse. to capture theyouth of america it seems like we need to express conservative values in a way that is funny, and cool .i have you gotten any tips on stephen colbert, it seems like they're embracing this idea between the attack and the rest ofyou young conservative media, is that something we can look forward to seeing more of the younger conservative voices ?>> being conservative is cool.
1:37 pm
it's cool when you're 80 and it's cool when you're 19. because you have the facts on your side. and you're unafraid. that's always been in this country, the risktakers, the pioneers, thewildlife . the jokesters. so the people that are willing to put dollars their cells out there and say things that could be controversial. those people have already been involved in comedy comedy tis willing to push that edge.and you can't use that edge seriously. so you have to have a platform what fox that's willing to stand by people to take risks because we can't develop that kind of personality if they're going to get canceled or if they have a small platform and no one seesitself fox , i mean
1:38 pm
you're going to do jobs supporting as your younger more politically conservative young ties. and i think you could ask except more of that. >> my name is bob and i'd like to ask all your colleagues at fox to start speaking english. if they say they're going to take away your fastest news, i asked everybody at the gym they say art you going to be with these dinosaurs? i tell them they are taking away their gas and their hair. >> i'd also tell them to stop saying jim crow. i asked the people in the gym what did that mean they say is that a bird or something?
1:39 pm
it's segregation. >> that's an amazing point. and i have no trouble on the job. >> one of the things i may do so effectively is he spoke like the first. and if umyou're smart, you don't have to try to sound smart. if you're actually informed, you're going to have to prove how you are in and use very big words. you just want to communicate simply and powerfully and effectively and get right to the point. so i will no longer say fossil fuels. [applause] >> or jim crow. >> your way back here in the room at the back.
1:40 pm
where going to ask our last j question and get into this book signing. i'm going to reiterate we cannot do personal revisions at this book signing . we've got to be quick. it's going to be the fastest book signing everdone. it's the largest crowd we've ever had so last question . >> my name is chris. i had a question. how does fox justify calling arizona for biden in the last election of 2020.>> you saved the best forlast . >> obviously the decision desk i hadnothing to do with it so don't blame me . she found it. >> let's give our speakers on other hand .
1:41 pm
and of course, of course our guests come to the nixon library for the lavish gifts that we give them some tonight where giving jesse the commander-in-chief. because he's a commander-in-chief of comedy. there we go. there we go. thank you all very much.[a that's exciting. >> roused the earliest correction of c-span products, apparel, books, home decor. there's something for every fan and every purchase helps support our nonprofit operations . shop now or anytime at c-span shop.org.
1:42 pm
>> these six presidents recorded conversations in office. your many of those conversations on c-span's new podcast presidential recordings. >> season one focuses on the presidency of lyndon johnson. whatever about the civil rights act, 1964 presidential campaign , gulf of tonkin incident, march on selma and war in vietnam. not everyone knew they were being recorded. >> certainly johnson for terry's new because they were tasked with transcribing many of those conversations. in fact they were the ones who made sure the conversations were take as johnson would signal to them through an open door to his office and there's . >> you also hear blunt talk. >> i want to report on the number of people assigned to kennedy the day he died. the number assigned to me now
1:43 pm
. in fact, i promise you i'll go anywhere, i'll just stay right behind these gates. >> presidential recordings on the c-span now mobile app. >> now on book tvs "after words" program heather magee examines the cost of racism for all americans. she's interviewedby author and harvard university professor giovanni mohammed . >> i am so delighted to be here today with heather magee of whom i am a huge fan. i got to know her when she was the president of demos and everything she's done both they are incensed has been incredibly inspired by

40 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on