Skip to main content

tv   Greta Van Susteren  FOX News  November 3, 2011 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
>> i meant billions. this liberal's going to say -- joe the plumber. thanks for being with us. >> let not your heart be troubled. we'll be back tomorrow night. >> they want to see president obama's blackberry messages. now, we spoke with the committee chairman cliff stearns tonight. congressman, nice to see you. >> greta, good to see you, i guess. >> i know, you can't see me and you are looking into a camera. >> right. >> congressman, tell me, why the subpoena for the white house? >> well, you know, we issued a subpoena on july 15 for omd. and the democrats all voted against t. we sent a letter to
10:01 pm
the white house, end of september, greta. then we sent two more letters in october, asking for information, specifically. when we met with the white house counsel yesterday, we couldn't get any details. so we felt that they were slow walking this whole process and we felt, greta, that we just had to move forward. we passed, out of the subcommittee today, a request for a subpoena. and probably a subpoena will be delivered sometime today, we are hoping. >> when is the return? you are asking for documents, not testimony? you are asking for documents. >> that's right. >> is there a return date when you want these documents produced by? >> well, i can't tell you the exact return date. but i think we want to get it sooner rather than later. we have been working with the white house for two and-a-half months, and surely after eight and-a-half months of investigation, you would think we would be ready for us. we announced very early we
10:02 pm
wanted to show four things. one is their political influence that contributes to the selection of solyndra and propping it up. and two, why didn't they react, or if they did react to the red flags coming from doe. and thirdly, what about the subordination? did they know about it and fourthly, just to think about it, you have the leader of the free world involved with this type of investment, why was he involved and what was his motive? so i think those four questions, the american taxpayers should get an answer to. >> this is going to go over like a lead balloon at the white house. i assume you know that. if you met with them, this is not going to be received well. do you agree with that? >> i think that's true. i think the vociferousness on the committee today and how they tried to adjourn our committee. then after that, they tried to amend the resolution and they fought it tooth and nail. so i assume that they
10:03 pm
coordinated with the white house and with the white house counsel and all of their staff. of course, greta, we met all of them and we invited mr. waxman, the ranking chair and mrs. duget, the ranking member on the committee. so we gave them every opportunity to talk to the white house counsel and to hear our comments to the white house counsel, too. so we were transparent and open with the white house counsel. we thought the democrats should see it. >> well, i anticipate that the defense to the subpoena will be that they will raise executive privilege, that you are asking for information to which you are not entitled. i mean, i assume that's what the white house counsel told you in advance of today, right? >> you know, it's not. she has not issued that they would use executive privilege. it is our understanding that they're going to provide the documents. now, if somehow they do, greta, that doesn't mean we don't get documents. they have to, under the law, delineate which particular documents they are talking about, which affects national
10:04 pm
security and the president's privacy for consulting. so we have to see the delineation of those. then we can decide whether, if we agree with them or not. if we do agree, there are still many more documents that we would like to see, in the inner circle, the top advisers to the white house and get their communications. >> i'm curious, now this is directed at the white house, but in the broader picture of solyndra -- i don't know why i seem fixated on this. i guess it's because i have a lawyer and i have some idea what legal bills are like. but i haven't figured out that solyndra had a legal bill that taxpayers had to foot, having to do with this whole application for the federal loan. and i wonder, if you have taken a look at what the legal bill was, because it seemed rather high to me for this. but i am sort of curious. maybe it's legitimate. i am curious, have you gone through solyndra's records to see what the american taxpayers really ended up paying for. >> well, right now, it's in
10:05 pm
bankruptcy. i think if the bankruptcy is transparent, we should be able to find that information. but we are thinking about asking solyndra themselves for a copy of it. obviously, they could turn it down. whether it's -- shall we say, relevant to our investigation, i'm not sure. but i think it goes to the larger message that they wasted so much money, they spent $2.5 million in a very short period of time, to a law firm whose counsel was related to mr. stephen spinner, who was pushing solyndra in the department of energy. so you had that conflict of interest. obviously, that's a good question, what was the $2.5 million spent for? >> there was another bill, they paid $1 million, august 17, they said without an infusion of cash that they would indeed fail and they went belly up about two weeks later. but that bill to one of those -- the company investigating them was a significant -- was a significant bill that i assume the taxpayers will end up having
10:06 pm
to pay as well. but yenned why it took a huge investigation because it cost them more to manufacture the product than they would get if they sold it. so it seemed like, why in the world were they trying to figure out whether the company was going to make it or not? no company's going to make it with that. >> well, no. as you pointed out, they can't even manufacture these products and sell them for a profit. it was pretty apparent early because the solar market for solar panels dropped almost 40%, in some cases, even down to 60%. so once they knew this, why were they continuing to try troprop this up, bring in two hedge funds and double down with $150 million, they gave them $75, subordinated taxpayers. so the question is: why were they doing this? was it because of political influence or because they had contributors who were involved? those are the questions that i think the american taxpayer wants to understand. since the three loan guarantees
10:07 pm
that were put out, two of them are now in bankruptcy because the second one went bankrupt over the weekend. we are starting to see others start to fail here. that's why the president now has appointed has appointed herb allison on the commission head to look into all the loan guarantees with the department of energy. lo and behold, i think the president realizes just as we do on the subcommittee that this loan-guaranteeing scheme is not working. and he wants to get ahead of it with mr. allison. >> i guess in all of these investigations that i assume there is some caution that has to be exercised that we need to respect executive primg, when it's appropriate and not engage in a fishing expedition for political reasons. and so i guess i am hoping that in the end that this is done with, you know, enormous good judgment and we get to the bottom of it and it is not simply one party battling another. >> i agree. that's what we are trying to do. of course, this is an eight and-a-half month investigation. we are not just jumping off the cliff here. we are trying to do this
10:08 pm
systematically and methodically. i think you will see from the emails we are able to reveal that we are successful. >> congressman, thank you. i look forward to seeing what happens. i am sure this willing an interesting discussion. if you get the documents, i am curious of what is in the documents of any note. thank you, sir. >> thank you. >> now to the fiery hot race for the g.o.p. nomination. newt gingrich supporters are saying, watch out! the speaker is seeing a mild surge in the polls. a sexual harassment scandal doesn't seem to be stopping herman cain's campaign. the latest rasmussen poll puts cain on top. and time magazine's deputy washington bureau chief, michael crowley is here. michael, what do you make of the fact that herman cain is on top, it's a telephone poll, but nonetheless, he's on top of this one? >> hi, greta. thanks for having me.
10:09 pm
it's a remarkable thing. i think it's further evidence that everything about this campaign, there was a line from that internet video that got so much attention where cain's chief of staff was smoking a cigarette. but the line atep of that was that the country had never seen a candidate like herman cain. i think this is further evidence that cain is defying the laws of politics in various ways. he's leading the polls in iowa, despite the fact he's not been there in about a month. his supporters don't seem to be troubled by the mounting allegations. i will say, i think that could change. i don't think this story's going away and i think it is getting worse and i don't think he's handling it well. however, there does seem to be some resilience in his support and it's a remarkable thing. >> when you see a situation like this, when the pundits or the journalists are all aghast at different things or suspicious of things, when the polls suggest something different, i always think it's a message that we don't get it. >> i think you're right, greta.
10:10 pm
i think, you know, i say this intutively and anecdoteally from talking to cain supporters, one of the things that really attracts people to herman cain, he really strikes them as an outsider. he's not part of the system or the establishment. he's different. his style is different. his background is different. now, in truth, he has a little more washington experience than i think he likes to let on. but it's part and parcel of that. there is a sense that he's an outsider that wants to change washington and tick it to washington and washington is fighting back. now, i don't think that's entirely accurate. but i suspect that that is part of what is keeping him aloft right now. >> meanwhile, while the attention is on mr. herman cain tseems like speaker gingrich is slipping up the side. like the kentucky derby, the horse sneaking up the side that people are not paying attention to. but he's moving up, not hugely, but he has moved up to third place. >> yeah. what i would say about newt, i think he has put himself in a position to capaitallize.
10:11 pm
if herman cain -- cain likes to joke that he's the black walnut ice cream, not the flavor of the week. but if the black walnut ice cream melts into a puddle, newt has put himself into a position to capitalize on that. he has moved up, only to where he was when he joined the race in the spring. he joined the race in the low single digits. he had a terrible launch and sank down a few points. he's back to where he was. i think if this story does bring cain down and his followers scatter, i think newt is a natural landing place for a let of -- for a lot of those people. he has positioned himself to be ready to capitalize on a cain meltdown. >> he will be on our show tomorrow night. so we will ask him a lot of questions about the race. i am curious, governor romney has been quiet and stepped out and let everybody duke it out. where is he in this race now? >> lyou know, there has been
10:12 pm
some joking, i think politico coined the phrase, the mittness protection program. i think mitt romney is the default choice. you know, no one really seems to love him. but he has a strong lead in new hampshire. he's a close second or tide for first in iowa, with herman cain, whose candidacy is in some doubt. he is doing very well in the national polls and i think that romney is hoping he can be the last man standing, that the candidates rise up and fall back. so michele bachmann came and went. rick perry came and went. maybe he will come back, maybe not. cain is having his moment, but maybe crumbling. romney is hoping at the end of the day, republicans don't love him but they can accept him. he wants to stay out of the way, not answer too many questions about his long record of flip flops or record in massachusetts. i think he's very happy to lay low. i think he is looking pretty good right now. if you are betting, he has to be
10:13 pm
the default nominee, though we have a long way to go. >> indeed. we do. who do you think the white house right now, tonight, would least like to run against? >> well, you know, you can spin that a lot of different ways. i have to say i think it's romney because i think the presidential elections are fought out in the center. the problem romney has with the primary voters is that he is too moderate and has had positions that are fairly liberal. but in a general election, he is close to the center. i think some of the other republican candidates, particularly perry, for instance, are more hard right. i think that plays well with the primary audience. but the white house feels they have a better job tearing down a conservative on the right than going toe to toe with someone in the center, particularly someone like romney with a businessman record with very good credentials on the economy and the job. i think it's romney they fear and that's who you hear, with the campaign for obama
10:14 pm
spokespeople, they are targeting romney. >> now to the nation's unemployment crisis, 9.1% for the third straight month. could it possibly be worse? here's house minority leaders nancy pelosi. >> from a policy standpoint, i think it's really important to know that president obama was a job creator from day one. now, was the ditch that we were in so deep that when you are talking to people and they still don't have a job that that is any consolation to them? no. but i'll tell you this, if president obama and the congressional democrats had not acted, we would be at 15% unemployment. again, no consolation to those without a job. but an important point to make. >> one year after the republican majority took over the house, speaker john boehner has a very different view. nice to see you, dana perino -- in new york! >> in new york, indeed. anyway, the statement by the
10:15 pm
minority leader pelosi that it would have been 15% or much worse? >> so this is a question that she probably should not have answered in that way. you can imagine that behind closed doors, this is what democrats tell themselves, that -- things would be so much better if we had been able to hold on to the house. one of the key interesting things is, boehner, who has been the speaker for the past year, one of the reasons he is is because in 2010, in the midterm elections, the american people said, we are not for the democrats. we don't think that the health care bill was the right thing and we really don't like that stimulus bill. they think that that is what hurt the economy. so i think what she is saying is falling on deaf ears. plus, they really need to stay away from specific targets. so, for example, when president obama passed -- asked the congress to pass his stimulus bill, they promised that unemployment would -- would go to 8% or below. in this case, she doesn't know
10:16 pm
what it would possibly be. and 15% -- that would be another 9 million jobs. surely they are not trying to take credit for 9 million jobs. >> it's sort of the scare. i tend to look at the facts. if we are going to be fanciful to say 15%, can we say if -- if it weren't as it is now, with a perhaps a republican president, that it would be 7%? >> sure! >> if we are going to be fanciful in one direction, can't we be fanciful in the other. >> america's ceos today are more pessimistic than ever. one thing they point to is excessive government spending, stimulus bill; and uncertainty, health care. those are two pieces of legislation passed in the democratic congress that they are being held accountable for. >> if i were a democratic member of congress, i would instead, instead of the fanciful stuff, i
10:17 pm
would look at the trend. a year ago, unemployment was 9.6%, and now it's 9.1. i think that's something you can put your hands around better than the numbers and say it would be so much worse. >> look at the way president obama's relate rick has changed in the past couple of weeks. remember, he ran on hope and change. when you are running for re-election, you don't want so much change, you want time and you are asking for patience, with just a little bit more time this, trend, as you say, has been heading in the right direction, but at a snail's pace. maybe it won't be appreciably better by the time the election rolls around. most economists think that that's true. but she is also basing her comments on a study that assumes 3.5% growth. and that certainly is fanciful. >> i think any of these numbers, whether it's the federal reserve's predictions that came out about gdp or unemployment in the next couple of years, is that we never know the
10:18 pm
assumptions upon which they are based. that's so important in economics, what your underline assumptions are. we toss around the numbers and there is so much uncertainty and we use it as such a political weapon. >> with almost every economists. it's a good thing we don't have three hands -- the one hand, on the other hand and if there was a third hand, they would use that, too. >> is the president trying to work with the congress? is congress trying to work with him? >> i -- no. president obam needs a villain. he needs someone to run against, they have decided that running against a do-nothing congress is the best thing. they have gotten the free trade agreements in a bipartisan fashion, the 3% withholding tax, that will pass next week. today, the democrats rejected in the senate, a commonsense reform to extend the highway bill and two of them joined republicans to defeat president obama's infrastructure bill. i think if they wanted successes, they would stop
10:19 pm
sending up legislation that even democrats can't support. >> troubling the way they play with each other that way. straight ahead, senator john mccain says heads should shroll. he is fired up about fannie and freddie. he is using the words corruption and fraud. chaos in greece, the turmoil is contagious, leaving effects worldwide. and john bolton goes on the record. president obama just got a letter from the texas attorney general. you will find out. the texas attorney general is here to go on the record. juice drink too watery? ♪ feel the power my young friend. mmm! [ male announcer ] for unsurpassed fru and veggie nutrition... v8 v-fusion. could've had a v8. congratulations. congralations. today, the city of charlotte can use verizon technology
10:20 pm
to inspire binesses to conserve energy and monitor costs. making communities greener... congratulations. ... and buildings as valuable to the bottom line... whoa ! ... as the people inside them. congratulations. because when you add verizon to your company, you don't just add, you multiply. ♪ discover something new... verizon.
10:21 pm
10:22 pm
10:23 pm
>> senator john mccain says it is unconscionable, the visibly angry senator, expressing outrage over the multi-million-dollar bonuses for fannie and freddie execs i felt if fanny and freddy are synonymous with mismanagement, waste, outright corruption and fraud and their federal regulator has the audacity to approve $12.2 million dollars in bonuses to people who make $900,000 per year. this body should be ashamed if we let this happen. it seems to me, the least we do
10:24 pm
is cancel these bonuses, make sure it doesn't happen and maybe ask for some qualified, experienced, talented americans to come in and take over this agency. and the first guy that i think ought to go is the guy that approved of these mortgages, who i understand -- i mean that approved of the payouts, mr. edward jay demarco. >> there is more. today freddie mac asked for $6 billion in additional aid. taxpayers have spent almost $170 billion to rescue fannie and freddie. ben is here from the financial quarterly. tell me, why does the person who this -- demarco think that these bone useses should be paid out? >> hi, greta. thanks for having me here. you know, edward demarco says the way to get talented executives running fannie and freddie is to give generous compensation. they're tasked with maintaining and conserving the taxpayer
10:25 pm
dollars, some $5 trillion in mortgage assets and the way to do that, he says, is to attracts talented folks with high compensation packages. >> does he mention anything about the fact that this last quarter they lost $6 billion and the same quarter a year ago, it was $1.4 billion, so there is a downward trend in terms of their success? >> that's a good point. i haven't heard him say that. the thing to remember is that these losses that fannie and freddie are coming up with are largely bad loans that were made before the financial crisis back in 2008. so we might be seeing losses from fannie and freddie for sometime to come. >> i take it nobody's making the executives keep the jobs. if they are so talented, they could go elsewhere, right? >> that's right. >> i am curious, do you have any clue how much they make without the bonuses, what their salary range is? >> you know, i think senator
10:26 pm
mccain says in the range of $900,000. clearly, that's a lot of money and it's no surprise that you found lawmakers on both sides of the aisle expressing concern with these compensation packages. you had senator john mccain, calling for demarco's dismissal. senator tim johnson, the democrat who heads the senate banking committee announced he was going to have a hearing on this issue and would bring mr. demarco, as soon as possible he said. >> demarco is the regulator over fannie and freddie, right? >> that's right. >> so is he the one -- is he the one who actually authorizes the bonuses, or is it congress? who authorizes it? he supports them and thinks it's a good idea and a good way to attract talent. but who greenlights it? >> in the end, mr. demarco has to sign off on this. the federal housing finance agency is an independent agency that congress created in 2008. and they didn't intend --
10:27 pm
congress didn't intend for the agency to be around 3 years on, it was supposed to be a temporary thing. but congress and the administration have not really figured a way to -- to replace fannie and freddie or to figure out what to do next, so this temporary conservatorship continues to this day. >> does he have any sort of reflection that he might have a tenure? they have lost $2 billion more this year than last year in just a quarter, from $6 billion to $4 billion was the difference. so they are so unsuccessful that they need another bailout of $6 bill whereon and they make incomes in the range of $900,000. usually we reward those who are extraordinarily successful or great visionaries, but these are not the statistics in a competitive marketplace, you know, would warrant, you know, someone wanting to reward people with a bonus. >> yeah. i think mr. demarco says, he said that they have cut down on the total compensation that
10:28 pm
executives used to get before fannie and freddie were bailed out. he also has made it clear that these executives who are leaving, they were not at the helm when fannie and freddie collapse and the housing market collapsed and fannie and freddie needed to be seized. so they shouldn't get all the blame. >> it's not a question of the blame. it's credit if they have done something extraordinary. but if they are asking for more mon nea bailout and they are doing worse than they did a year ago and they are getting paid $900,000 and no one made them take the job, it's hard to understand. they i hear you. >> who does demarco answer to? how did he get his job? >> he doesn't really answer to anybody in a sense. he had his job in -- he was brought on in 2008 when the agency was established. and became acting director under president obama in 2009. but he has been criticized strongly by democrats for not doing enough to use fannie and
10:29 pm
freddie's huge market power to boost the market and shake things up there. he has tried to conserve the taxpayer dollars, but obviously, this is one instance where lawmakers don't think he's doing a good enough job. >> ben, thank you. >> thanks so much for having me. >> here's what's coming up. >> the up oners are getting more riulent. we will have shocking pictures and tell you what is going on behind the scenes. a verdict in the janet jackson super bowl deal, that's coming up. >> 11:00 p.m. eastern time. coming up, turmoil in greece and it's rattling our economy. is there something president obama can do or should do? ambassador john bolton is here, capital one's new cash rewards card
10:30 pm
gives you a 50 percent annual bonus. so you earn 50 percent more cash. if you're not satisfied with 50% more cash, send it back! i'll be right here, waiting for it. who wouldn't want more cash? [ insects chirping ] i'll take it. i'll make it rain up in here. [ male announcer ] the new capital one cash rewards card. the card for people who want 50% more cash. what's in your wallet? sorry i'll clean this up. shouldn't have made it rain.
10:31 pm
you know what else is early? medicare open enrollment. now through dember 7th. can i stick with old medicare plan? sure! or find a new plan with better coverage, less cost, or both. medicare plans give you free cancer screenings and wellness visits and 50% off on brand-name prescriptions when you're in the doughnut hole it's part of the healthcare law. so it's time to look, compare... and choose the right plan for you. learn more at 1-800-medicare or medicare.gov.
10:32 pm
10:33 pm
>> right now, greece is on the edge and the european union is willing to bail greece out, but only if it tightens its belt and agrees to austerity measures, but the people of greece don't seem too wild about that. should you care about greece isn't answer is yes because it's rattling our economy billbig-time. john bolton is here. good evening, sir. greece essentially took its books, we didn't know how bad it was, they're in the european union. now they need help. the european union wants to bail them out, but they don't want to cut spending and the prime minister said let's have a vote
10:34 pm
in january. everybody got mad so they are going to do away with that but have a vote of confidence or no confidence on the prime minister. is that where we are? >> that's basically right. we will know whether the prime minister's government can survive. but in a sense, i feel sorry for him because what he said was we have agreed to make changes in greece that will cause enormous pain to our population, maybe that's what they deserve. but he said, why don't we have -- what was that ancient greek word -- ah, democracy! let's have the people vote. and the leaders of the european union, the chancellor from germany and france said, democracy! are you kidding me? and they prevailed. >> sean: suppose hypotheticalally, greece said we are not going to dieten our belt. we are not going to do that. the e.u., murkle and sarkozy
10:35 pm
say, okay. does greece get kicked out of the e.u.? >> i think that's what should happen. i think a greek default is the healthiest thing for a recovery of their currency, see it devalued and get back to making it a place where people are willing to paik put their mon ne. but the key european leaders, it is not the european economy, not the u.s. economy. it is a political imperative they have been following. if they wanted this currency, for economic reasons in part, but for political reasons, as well. to set up europe as a pole in the world, as an alternative to the united states. they're perfectly free to try that and they are perfectly free to fail at it. it's nothing we should come to rescue them from. >> all right. why should we care? is it because we are good citizens of the world? or is there a direct economic impact on us, whether they fail or not fail? whether they accept the austerity measures and take the
10:36 pm
bailout from europe? and what should the president do or not do? >> li think it's certainly appropriate for the united states to protect its interests, as europe's currency goes through this enormous turmoil. but on the other hand, i don't have a lot of sympathy for u.s. financial institutions. let's take former governor corzine's now bankrupt firm, which bet on sovereign debt from countries like greece getting high yields from that investment on the theory that they would never default because the government's wouldn't thereto happen. too bad for them if that's the mistake they have made. so i think there is room to be concerned on the financial side for the united states. but i don't have that much concern for american who is bet on the europeans and ultimately us bailouth their bad investments. >> we will see what happens tomorrow with the cftsdz or no-confidence vote for the prime minister in greece. thank you, ambassador. >> thank you. >> coming up, the attorney general of texas sends a letter
10:37 pm
to president obama. why did he do that? attorney general goes on the record next. he'll tell you. a big shock or live tv. even the newsers get the shock've a lifetime and that's shock've a lifetime and that's on camera, coming upú(h cúcqhp [ artis brown ] america is facing some tough challenges right now. two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands.
10:38 pm
this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands ojobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough. that's good for oucountry's energy security and our economy. where they grow america's favorite d for ouwpotoes. idaho,y security everyone knows idaho potatoes taste great. but did you know they'reood for you too? they're high in vitamins and potassium. and idaho potatoes are now certified to carry the heart checkmark from the american heart assoction for foods low in saturated fat and cholesterol. so they're good for my family, and for yours. heart smart idaho potatoes. always look for the grown in idaho seal. ...was it something big? ...or something small? ...something old?
10:39 pm
...or something new? ...or maybe, just maybe... it's something you haven't seen yet. the 2nd generation of intel core processors. stunning visuals, intelligent performance. this is visibly smart.
10:40 pm
like, keep one of these over your head. well, i wasn't "supposed" to need flood insurance, but i have it. fred over here chose not to have it. ♪ me, i've got a plan. fred he uh... fred what is your plan? do i look like i have a plan? not really. [ female announcer ] only flood insurance covers floods. for a free brochure, call the number on your screen.
10:41 pm
>> from america's news headquarters, i'm marianne rafferty. the atomic energy department will have a report, with mounting evidence that iran may be building an atomic bomb. a member of the obama administration saying that the islamic regime has been unable to demonstrate peaceful intent of its nuclear program. the country insists it's only interested in energy. a texas judge who was secretly filmed beating his teenaged daughter will not face criminal charges. since it happened in 2004, authorities say the statute of
10:42 pm
limitations has passed. in a graphic video, judge william adams can be seen hitting his disabled daughter with a belt. the daughter posted the video online, generating millions of views. now back to "on the record." for your latest headlines, go to foxnews.com. >> president obama just got a letter, he probably won't be wild about it. it's from the attorney general of texas. what's in the letter? the texas attorney general is here. good evening. you wrote the president a letter. why? and what's in it? >> well, greta, this is a follow-up letter, i sent the president a letter last year when bullets struck a city hall in el paso, texas. i warned the president at that time, if he didn't take action and do a better job of protecting the border, american blood would be shed. now i sent a follow-up letter, pointing out to the president that my prediction has come
10:43 pm
true, a shootout occurred on sunday between operatives working for the gulf cartel and hilldago county, where they shot a sheriff's deputy who is still in the hospital right now. but so important to understand, this is just one of the signs, one of several we have seen just this week, of the cartel operatives, operating much more extensively across the state of texas. it is imperative for the president to step up, give us more manpower on the border if we are going to be able to keep our fellow americans safe. >> you wrote the first letter june of 2010, a year and-a-half. did you get a response in any form? and two, has there been any sort of inexrees in on the border from the federal government after that letter and between them then and now? >> a long time after i sent that letter, direceive a reply letter from a low-level operative from
10:44 pm
an office title i have never heard of before. with regard to the increased efforts we have seen and the manpower on the border, that has been slim and in inadequate. we have more than a 1200-mile bord wer mexico. we see on a daily basis, the operatives working for the cartels or cartel members or cartel member who is are trying to reside in the state of texas, that is increasing constantly. the violence is increasing constantly. and the boots on the ground that we need and the resources we need from washington are not here. >> i know the letter's dated november 3 and says, i implore to you aggressively confront this escalating threat. so have you obviously put it on the line for the president. the president, of course, out of the country. but i am sure he has his white house counsel or somebody. do you have any reason to believe this one has been received, or is it en route to the white house? where is this?
10:45 pm
>> it was received by the white house yesterday, when the letter was sent because we sent it electronically and by mail. so we know they have already received t. but more importantly issue we know that the president really understands the dangers that exist on the border and by failing to step up and provide the resources and manpower we need to protect our fellow texans and men and women up and down the border, he is turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to our pleas and our needs and every time -- >> do you think he does that because a., he doesn't agree with you? b., he thinks he's doing enough? c., there isn't the manpower and the mony? what is your thinking about why you don't have more? >> first of all, greta, whenever human lives are at risk, the government has to supply the manpower and the money. the primary reason for a government to exist is to protect the people. if the president doesn't have this as his top priority, he has
10:46 pm
his priorities out of order. secondly, he know what is to do, it is offense testify us when it came to el paso, to declare the border near secure than it is ever been, he knew for a fact because he has better intelligence than vi, that the border is penetrated on a daily basis. if i know it, the president of the united states either does know it or should know it and he's failing to give us the resources that we are asking for and the resources we need. >> attorney general, thank you. i hope that the deputy sheriff gets better quickly and gets out of the history. >> thank you, greta. >> straight ahead, a live lottery drawing sent a tv news studio into a frenzy. what caused it? it's caught on camera. usually, weddings are about the bride and the groom. but this time, someone else steals the show. the amazing wedding video you can't miss in just minutes. now, this is the weirdest of weird, weird stories. a man who got married years ago
10:47 pm
wants to recreate his wedding. sound romantic? it is not what you think. stay tuned for this one. that's why i recommend crest pro-health clinical gum protection. it helps eliminate plaque at the gum line, helping prevent gingivitis. it's even clinically proven to help reverse it in just 4 weeks. crest pro-health clinical gum protection. ♪ [ gong ] strawberry banana! [ male announcer ] for a smoothie with real fruit plus veggie nutrition new v8 v-fusion smoothie. could've had a v8.
10:48 pm
congratulations. congralations. today, the city of charlotte can use verizon technology to inspire binesses to conserve energy and monitor costs. making communities greener... congratulations. ... and buildings as valuable to the bottom line... whoa ! ... as the people inside them. congratulations. because when you add verizon to your company, you don't just add, you multiply. ♪ discover something new... verizon.
10:49 pm
10:50 pm
10:51 pm
>> okay. have you seen our top stories, but here's the best of the rest. you see it all the time, lottery drawings on live tv newscasts. but this time, it shocked a canadian news team. >> barry delaney i. congratulations. congratulations, barry. we are going to give you a call right now. back to you, guys. >> barry delaney. not barry delay. >> no, no. actually, let's take another look. i think it's barry deli, i think? deli? >> deli. >> yeah. >> that's even closer. how's it spelled? >> d.e.l.e.y. >> that's barry. >> no, it's not! >> barry, i'm on the air. they threw a name, barry dell deley, in port moody. >> you know people are going to think this is fishy, don't you? >> it's a barry deley in port
10:52 pm
moody. how many are there? port moody? >> i think just me. >> congratulations, you got -- what did he win? >> he is going to retire now. >> he won a $2 million house or something. >> are you serious? >> i'm telling you. >> i had a dream about this. >> hold up. >> it never comes true. >> lucky winner was their sportscaster and he was at the grocery store when he got that call. >> a father/daughter dance like none other. a texas wedding, treated to quite a show. the bride and her father danced to 10 motown and top 40 hits. it started out with a typical temptations classic, but after that, nothing was typical. take a look...: [cheering and laughter]
10:53 pm
>> and the dancing duo got a final laugh, they ended with beyonce's hit, single ladies. now a widding story with a very different ending. a new york city man has filed a lawsuit against his photographers, todd remusis
10:54 pm
seeking $48,000 to recreate his 2003 wedding. now, he says the photographers missed the last dance and bouquet toss and he wants a do-over. he wants to bring everyone back to new york and recreate the big moment and take brand-new photos. but here's the problem. the marriage has ended in divorce. and the bride, well, she's left the country. this one may not end well. there you have it. the best of the rest. coming up, your last call. you don't have to be rich and famous to go to the dinner with the president, but you might want to bring your wallet.
10:55 pm
10:56 pm
10:57 pm
10:58 pm
>> greta: 11:00 is almost here, time for last call. president obama may have found a way to raise money and pay off the national debt. here is jay loneo -- len yes. >> in an effort to raise money from ordinary people, president obama sponsored a
10:59 pm
dinner with barack fund-raiser. ordinary americans for $5, there is a chance you can have dinner with the president. the winners were two teachers, a postal worker and a small business owner. here is the video of the dinner, watch what happens here. not a real fancy place. but they're in there talking. watch what happens when the check comes. the check is put down. the president slides over. look how much the check is. $14 trillion. $14 trillion. >> and that is your last call. we're closing down shop. we'll see you again tomorrow night when country music star brad paisley will be here to go on the record. make sure you go to greta wire.com and you can tell us everything you want about tonight's show. keep it here on fox news channel, most powerful name in news, o'reilly

246 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on