Skip to main content

tv   Justice With Judge Jeanine  FOX News  July 20, 2013 9:00pm-10:01pm PDT

9:00 pm
>> judge jeanine: attorney general eric holder takes aim at state's stand your ground laws and the nra fires back. but first, to my open. it happens in a split second. one moment you're dealing with ordinary day to day stuff, and suddenly out of nowhere, like a thunder bolt, it hits you. there's no predictable timing,
9:01 pm
no warning. your life and the lives of those who love you are forever changed. i know. i have spent my career on the battlefield where the fight between good and evil unfolds. i've seen the ugliest side of life, the pain people go through for know reason, telling families how death unexpectedly, unnecessarily, and unjustifiably visited a loved one. i've been in the trenches prosecuting crime, crusading to give victims a voice, sentencing criminals, fighting to put dirtbags in the cages where they belong. hello and welcome to justice. i'm judge jeanine pirro. thanks for being with us tonight. this week rolling stone magazine threw salt on the wounds of 267 victims and countless americans, many already suffering from ptsd by
9:02 pm
putting the photo of boston bomber dzhokhar tsarnaev looking like a rock star any kid would want to emulate on the cover of their magazine. their justification? >> we were trying to sort of draw this contrast between the person everyone thought they knew and the person he became. >> judge jeanine: really? now, you guys understand language better than most. if you're really trying to contrast the all-american student to the boston bomber, why not show the student and then the bomber, like this? instead of just an innocent-looking teen. and what's that? you don't have room on the cover for both? now, i'm not a graphic designer, but we did this one in no time. by way of excuse, rolling stone then says well, this is the picture everyone knows. seriously? the one i know is of him in a
9:03 pm
baseball cap right before the bombing, and the good old "new york times" coming to rolling stone's aid, claiming the writer was just describing how a normal american kid could go so wrong. really? i read the article twice. i came away with no explanation as to why he went wrong, why he became a terrorist. maybe he's a terrorist because he wants to be a terrorist, because he chose to be a terrorist, or maybe he was just raised by good old jihady mom to be a terrorist. >> my oldest one is killed. i don'i don't care if my youngee is going to be killed today. i want the world to hear this. if i am going to killed too, okay, and i will say allahu akbar. > >> judge jeanine: maybe he's plain evil like the devil. do i even care why he's a
9:04 pm
terrorist? if i know why, will you be able to stop others like him? hell, the fbi, homeland security and the ice had the family on the radar because the russians who won't even return our spy, no great pals of ours, went out of our way to warn us about these freeloaders and they still bombed us, not to mention these crack federal agencies didn't catch those radical internet videos out there for anyone to see. or the explosives in their homes, enough to blow up the whole block. why? i don't much care why. in fact, i really don't give a damn. let's take a look at this cover. it reads how a popular promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical islam. let's pars it out. popular? you want to know why he was popular? he was a drug-dealing, pot-smoking flunkie failing
9:05 pm
virtually all his classes at umass dartmouth where he was given a scholarship and proceeds to sell the best weed around. his hairbrained friends felt badly because he couldn't afford tufts. his cambridge friends said they couldn't imagine the pressure he was under because he took out a student loan. really? you're a bunch of spoiled brats. get a job like the rest of us did in college, or go to a community college. i'm sure they'd like your special brand of weed, too. another of his cambridge buddies said he was brainwashed. okay. so now these genius kids, many of whom are behind the free dzhokhar movement, have concluded that their classmate was so dumb, so impressionable, and not of sufficient intellect to decipher right from wrong. you think maybe their brains are fried because they're all smoking too much pot?
9:06 pm
and failed by his family. wait a minute. his parents divorced after he became an adult. how come kids from 50% of american families that are divorced aren't cooking up a few bombs in their kitchen? you want to know about kids failed by their families? i can tell you about kids failed by their families. the ones who go to sleep in their own beds to become victims of unspeakable torture and abuse. the ones senselessly beaten, brutally murdered in ways that i cannot describe on television. and he fell into radical islam. fell? what did he do, fall off a cliff and land in al-qaeda alley? is there a crash somewhere or a chasm somewhere in cambridge, a ditch in dartmouth, some pot hole so deep you can't climb out of them? and then rolling stone describes the pain he was in, the pain he
9:07 pm
was hiding. really? the only pain i care about is the one his victims are still suffering. you know, our system is so consumed with the rights of criminals that even its name gives them the top billing. we call it the criminal justice system. it should be the victim justice system. the victim. the person who never chose to be a part of this in the first place. we coddle cri criminals as if ty were violated, not the ones doing the violating. we've got it backwards. we cloak them with respectability, make them look hip and rocker cool, and our hearts bleed for the ordinary kids. surely a good boy gone astray. he doesn't seem so bad. we long to find sensible reasons for the most brutal of crimes as we stitch together a quilt of
9:08 pm
excuses, student loans, divorced parents, failed by his family, falling into radical islam. and then we engage in a national therapy session. how did we lose him? where did we go wrong? why do we look so hard to find excuses? this dirtbag worked hard to maim and kill innocent americans who themselves worked hard to train their bodies to run a marathon, only to come face-to-face with evil. before our eyes, the terrorist has turned into a rock star. i have an idea. how about you put pictures of the victims before and after the bombings, pictures of them minus arms and legs and eyesight? i'm talking about the people rolling stone didn't bother to give a voice, the people whose trauma was denied, who are trying to repair their broken lives and will view the future
9:09 pm
through the prism of that one singularly traumatic event. for you out there saying he's presumed innocent, let me tell you the truth about the presumption of innocence. the phrase innocent until proven guilty does not mean that those of us who have examined the evidence before trial must stick our heads in the stand and draw no conclusion whatsoever. we don't drag people into court because we assume they're innocent. we indict them because we believe they're guilty and there's probable cause and extremely damning evidence that supports that. dzhokhar, i don't like your mother, and you take after her. you came here to feed off the fat of our land like the rest of your family, to suck us dry. you shouldn't have been allowed here in the first place, and you hate us? you write f america on the
9:10 pm
inside of the boat that you were corned in? i'd like to respond to that one, but my mother's watching. dzhokhar, you're not the one in pain. you're not a rock star. you're not a cover boy. you're a damn terrorist, the spawn of satan who should go directly to hell sooner rather than later. coming up, the latest on the zimmerman verdict aftermath. last year president obama said if he had a son, he'd look like trayvon martin. yesterday he said he could have been trayvon. and vote in tonight's poll. facebook or tweet me @judgejeanine. did rolling stone cross the line by putting the boston bomber on its cover?
9:11 pm
9:12 pm
9:13 pm
[ male announcer ] let's say you had an accident. and let's say you bought cut rate insurance and you weren't covered. oh, and your car is a time machine. [ beeping ] ♪ would you go back to when you got that less than amazing policy and go with esurance instead? well, they do have tools like coverage counselor to help you choose the coverage that fits you. it's like insurance from the future.
9:14 pm
actually, more like insurance for the modern world. thank you! esurance. now backed by allstate. click or call. i think it would be useful for us to examine some state and local laws to see if they are designed in such a way that they may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the florida case rather than diffuse potential altercations. >> judge jeanine: president obama yesterday speaking out on the george zimmerman verdict following attorney general eric holders remarks at the naacp annual convention earlier this week. >> we must stand our ground to ensure that our laws reduce violence and take a hard look at laws that contribute to more violence than they prevent. >> judge jeanine: with me, virginia congressman and member
9:15 pm
of the congressional black caucus bobby scott from virginia beach and outside counsel to the nra stephen hallbrook. good evening, gentlemen. congressman, i'll start with you. when the president decided to say what he said, that created somewhat of a controversy, many people thinking that he was basically inflaming the upcoming protests and some people thinking it was the exact moment for it to happen. what's say you? >> well, there's going to be an ongoing protest because of the situation where a young man obviously innocent gets skittles and iced tea walking home, ends up dead. the question on these stand your ground laws is as the attorney general indicated, whether they add to violence or detract from violence. >> judge jeanine: excuse me, congressman. let me interrupt you for a second. are you and the president saying that the jury got it wrong here?
9:16 pm
that our jury system does not work? >> the jury spoke, but the question -- >> judge jeanine: does the jury system work, congressman? >> it's the best we've got. >> judge jeanine: you're reluctant to say it works. >> well, no. sometimes they get it right. sometimes they get it wrong. i mean, if you look at people being exonerated from death row by dna evidence after the jury verdict of guilt and the imposition of death. you can't say they always get it right. that's absurd. >> judge jeanine: i'm talking about this case. what's the difference between stand your ground and self defense? a lot of people don't understand that. you've written a book on this stuff. >> they're really part of the same thing. notice the jury in florida was instructed that you had a right to use deadly force if you reasonably feared death or imminent bodily injury. whether we have stand your ground like did you try to flee
9:17 pm
or something was not in this case because there was no opportunity to flee. the stand your ground law, basically says if you're in your own home or you're in a place where you have a right to be and you have not started any kind of altercation, you can defend yourself. this is part of human rights. martin luther king talked about the right to self defense with weapons being a moral right recognized in any society. >> judge jeanine: okay. but congressman, i'm going to go back to you. now, the department of justice is getting involved in a potential civil rights charge, a criminal civil rights charge. do you believe that there is evidence of that based upon the sworn testimony that came out of the jury trial? >> the question is whether trayvon martin was profiled and pursued because of his race. that would constitutio constitue
9:18 pm
of a hate crime. that's where the investigation is going. what happened after the assault? i mean, if you listen to the -- to the telephone calls. >> judge jeanine: i think the issue, congressman -- >> he obviously felt he was under attack. at that point a crime has been committed. what happens after that does not exonerate -- >> judge jeanine: it's not whether he was racially profiled, it's whether he was killed as a result of the hatred or bias. >> that's the murder charge. >> judge jeanine: are you saying a -- >> that's the murder charge. he's been acquitted of murder. the question. >> judge jeanine: i understand that. >> the question is whether or not he committed a hate crime and an assault chasing somebody down because of their race. you don't get exonerated from that crime because subsequent to that something else happens. >> judge jeanine: so are you saying that he was chased down when just about all the witnesses said he was the one on top beating george zimmerman and zimmerman had the injuries? >> well, you're starting the clock at the fight.
9:19 pm
how did you get there? if you got there by virtue of zimmerman tracking him down because of his race, profiling him because of the race, ignoring the police admonition to stay in your car. >> judge jeanine: that was not against the law, congressman. it was not against the law for him to get out of his car. >> it's not against the law to get out of the car. it is against the law to track somebody down and put them in fear of their life. >> judge jeanine: well, what evidence did you hear of that? let me go to you, steve halbrook. talk to us about the issue of the president basically saying that if trayvon had a gun, he could have shot zimmerman. >> the president made two remarks that were totally wrong in terms of what the law is in every state in the country including in the stand your ground states. one is that president obama said well, could mr. martin have used a gun and stood his ground and stayed on the sidewalk? well, of course he could have
9:20 pm
had he not engaged in behavior that the jury considered to be an as secondly, he said that you've got -- if he feared that he was being followed, could he use deadly force? well, remember the jury instruction and the law is that you have to reasonably fear great bodily harm or death. of course, just a car being in the vicinity or somebody being out of their car, that's not a reasonable fear of bodily harm or denth. >> judge jeanine: all right, gentlemen. we're coming up against a hard break here, but very quickly, the attorney general saying he wants to change the laws in the individual states? what about federalism, state laws, congressman? >> well, the question is what the stand your ground laws add to self defense. you have the right to use reasonable force, proportional force. the problem with the stand your ground laws is they invite vigilante and disproportional choice and this is interesting.
9:21 pm
>> judge jeanine: quickly. >> usually you don't have any witnesses. you have a dead body and a story presented to a sympathetic jury. >> judge jeanine: congressman, stephen, i have a hard break here. thanks. [ heart beating, monitor beeping ] woman: what do you mean, homeowners insurance doesn't cover floods? [ heart rate increases ] man: a few inches of water caused all this?
9:22 pm
[ heart rate increases ] woman #2: but i don't even live near the water. what you don't know about flood insurance may shock you -- including the fact that a preferred risk policy starts as low as $129 a year. for an agent, call the number that appears on your screen.
9:23 pm
9:24 pm
>> separate and apart from the case that has drawn the nation's attention, it's time to question laws that senselessly expand the concept of self defense and have dangerous effects in our neighborhoods. these laws tried to fix something that was never broken. >> judge jeanine: mounting backlash in florida as the debate over stand your ground continues to gain momentum. motown legend stevie wonder announcing at a concert that he will not perform in florida until stand your ground is
9:25 pm
repealed. the singer also said he would boycott all of the other states that have that law on their books. with me, two men at the center of the controversy, florida state representative dennis baxley who co-sponsored the stand your ground bill back in 2005 and florida state senator and democratic leader of the florida senate, chris smith. good evening, gentlemen. this law was just passed in florida in 2005. did nobody think about this? i'll start with you, representative scott. >> which one? >> baxley. >> okay. sure. yes. the nemesis for this was we were post hurricane with five hurricanes. we had an incident in the panhandle where a couple, an elderly couple was in a fema trailer. they did have an intruder on their property, came in there, and he shot and killed this
9:26 pm
gentleman. it was months before this law-abiding citizen who was just defending himself and his property primarily defending his wife that he knew whether or not he would be charged, and when the senator brought me this, i said that shouldn't be the case. in florida we want to stand by law-abiding citizens, and if you're doing nothing wrong and you're actually stopping a violent attack, no one should be beaten, raped, or murdered and wonder whether or not they have the authority to act to stop a violent crime. that's the nemesis of it. >> judge jeanine: well, i understand that that really is the beginning of it, but i'll go to you, senator smith. at the end of the day, do you think that this will be overturned because of the trayvon martin case? >> well, we're hoping that it at least gets amended. back in 2005 when we did this bill, i was one of those saying that this was going too far and i voted against it in 2005
9:27 pm
because i thought this would happen. what we're trying to do is just amend the law to take out now that we've gotten some real world examples and some problems with it, we're trying to amend it to make it more sensible in the state of florida. >> judge jeanine: you know, jesse jackson had said that florida is an apartheid state. do you agree with that, gentlemen? >> i think that's very dangerous rhetoric. i'm very proud of the martin family's restraint. some of the rhetoric is very dangerous for other people and it's driving a racial wedge into this which shouldn't be there. in fact, this law has protected many african-americans from prosecution who were simply stopping a violent act. 33% of those who utilized this defense were african-americans, and proportionally that means it benefitted them twice as much as the general population. this is what i've been trying to communicate to my friends like
9:28 pm
senator smith. this protects everyone. >> judge jeanine: what do you say to that, senator smith? >> i say that no law is perfect. we pass laws. sometimes we go back later and say hey, these things have happened, so let's adjust the law so that we get good outcomes in florida. for some reason, those that support stand your ground think it's a perfect piece of legislation when we see that it's not perfect. we're just asking for a chance to make some changes to it, make some common sense changes to it like allowing police to detain someone when they have a stand your ground claim. the way this bill is written, if you kill someone and the police come up and you say i was standing my ground, under the wording of the statute, police can't even detain you while they investigate. that should be changed. >> judge jeanine: gentlemen, the department of justice began an investigation into this in 2012 right after it happened, but in july the fbi announced that they found no evidence that racial bias played a role in the zimmerman trial.
9:29 pm
that seems to have been confirmed by the defense attorneys, the prosecutors, and the victim's family. why are we stirring this up right now, and i'll start with you, representative baxley. >> yes i think what you're seeing is they're trying to dial back the rhetoric on that because they know they don't have a case that professionally they can't bring a hate crime in this situation because they've investigated this to death, and there's just no evidence of it being racially motivated on the part of mr. zimmerman. so now they're trying to instead divert and attack the self-defense law when, in fact, we think that it's a good law >> judge jeanine: senator smith, let me go to you very quickly. they found no evidence of racial bias. do you disagree with the fbi and the jury's finding? >> i think there's clearly some racial bias. >> judge jeanine: do you disagree? >> yes.
9:30 pm
>> judge jeanine: you do? >> i disagree. was it the approximate cause of it, i don't know. there was some racial bias. to put our hands and say there was none is -- put our heads in thinthe sand and say there was s wrong. coming up, the irs scandal started in cincinnati, right? wrong. shocking new details next. later, the royal baby bump watch continues. will tonight be the night we meet william and kate's bundle of joy? stay with us.
9:31 pm
9:32 pm
9:33 pm
live from america's news headquarters in los angeles, demonstrations from coast to coast saturday for what marchers called justice for trayvon. many demanding changes to self-defense laws. a week ago ago saturday a
9:34 pm
florida jury acquitted george zimmerman for the death of trayvon martin. his mother addressed supporters in new york city saying their vigil is not only about the verdict but preventing another trayvon situation from happening. >> in laguna hills 20 homes have been evacuated following the appearance of a giant sink hole cause bid a ruptured pipe. fire officials fear it may trigger a massive landslide. i'm robert gray, now back to justice with judge janine. the . >> when you have the spokesperson for the president of the united states make a definitive statement that it was two rogue agents and start poking at these people who have no power to do anything about it, that is wrong.
9:35 pm
how dare anybody suggest that we're at the end of this? this is the beginning of this. we have to make an example of it. >> congress jason chaffetz blasting the obama administration over the iers scandal, saying the investigation into targeting political enemies is just beginning. as republicans step up the pressure, the question is how high does it go? with me is ryan clayton from d.c. and tony sayage. good evening, gentlemen. initially it's two rogue agents, and then it's those lying people in cincinnati, and then it's i'm going to plead the fifth and now it's you know what? you're not going to lay the blame on me. tony? how do you interpret this? >> judge, two major defenses of the irs, and i would also say of democrats, have been debunked by the testimony this week which is
9:36 pm
absolute correct. this is breaking news. this is truly something that's going to change this conversation. cincinnati was the excuse, like in benghazi the muslim youtube tape, was the fabricated excuse of the administration to say it was not our fault, nothing to do with the irs, nothing to do with us. let's just lay the blame in a place it doesn't belong. now we know from the cincinnati field manager of this tax-exempt unit that all these applications, not only did they go to washington, they went to the general counsel in the irs who was one of only two political appointees of president obama. >> judge jeanine: all right, ryan. hit it. how do you respond to that? >> well, you know he, the real scandal the irs should be looking into is all these super pac funds that are taking millions of dollars and dumping them in our electri electoral s. why aren't they investigating that? >> judge jeanine: that's the genesis of this, by the way. that's why we're looking into it.
9:37 pm
when you get a woman who testifies under oath and isn't taking the fifth like the rest of them, like lois lerner, and she says you know what? it came from high up. what do you take from that, ryan? do you think that she was lying to congress? >> i think most americans see through what's going on here, and it's just the republican operatives are excited now that the zimmerman trial is over to get back to the politics of scandal to take down the united states presidency. here's what we know. both conservative and progressive groups were investigated. >> that's hogwash. hogwash. >> judge jeanine: you've got 298 groups investigated, seven were progressives. as far as i'm concerned, the ineptitude that we've seen from the irs suggests that's just their margin of error, that they wanted them all to be investigated, all the conservatives to be investigated. >> i just want to be clear. so you're admitting that the irs investigated both progressive and conservative groups as a routine part of doing their job?
9:38 pm
>> judge jeanine: no. i'm saying they made a mistake and accidentally looked at the progressives. >> it's, of course, the irs' role to rightfully review these investigations. in the natural course of their job, there are going to be some. seven progressive groups. what they're not allowed to do is wholesale targeting of groups based on their political beliefs filiations. that's why when you have 291 conservative groups, 100% of groups that had tea party or patriot in them investigated, that's where the wrongdoing occurred. now you have the testimony of mr. carter hall, a 48-year attorney for the irs, a career guy saying i told miss lerner, and now we know why lois lerner pled the fifth. i told her all these applications have been reviewed and should go through the normal progress of being approved. she said no, we're going to create a multi-layer approach for these guys and kick these seven progressive groups back into the normal process where they got fast tracked, by the way. >> gulf of mexic i've got to sa. there should be more investigations.
9:39 pm
we should definitely investigate all these super pac groups that are poisoning the electoral process in america, groups like american crossroads. those are the groups we should be investigated. >> judge jeanine: that's the law. if you want to change the law, change the law, don't bring in your irs people who lie to congress. >> the law says they have to serve a public purpose. the majority of their activity can't be electioneering. >> they gave the average american citizen who wanted to participate in a democratic process the same first amendment rights that we have always given labor unions, and you, by the way, have just played your hand because judge pirro once said correctly this all happened after the president obama criticized a ruling in the 2010 speech. >> judge jeanine: ryan, i'm glad you don't like unfair electioning or whatever you called it, but at the same time,
9:40 pm
while it's still the law, isn't it legal for people to do what the law permits them to do? >> well, what the law says is that 50% or more of your activity has to be non-electioneering. you can't have that as your primary purpose. >> judge jeanine: i know what the law says. >> there's no evidence of that. >> these groups spent the majority of their money, most of their money on attack ads on television. what tony said is a case in point. citizens united is ruining this country. >> judge jeanine: i'm glad you don't like the supreme court's decision in citizens united. we have to call it. >> you can't target. >> it's against the law, buddy. >> judge jeanine: coming up, the world waits for birth of the royal baby in england. we're going to bring you the latest developments, ie, did her water break? don't forget to vote in our instant poll. did rolling stone cross the line by putting the boston bomber on its cover. facebook or tweet me @judge
9:41 pm
jeanine.
9:42 pm
[poof!] [clicks mouse] there's doughnuts in the conference room. there's doughnuts in the conference room. automatic discounts the moment you sign up.
9:43 pm
9:44 pm
the great kate wait continues. royal watchers in england and around the globe have their eyes trained on st. mary's hospital
9:45 pm
where kate middleton is reportedly going to give birth to the next british royal. with me is the author and royal watcher and commentator imogen lloyd weber. i understand that kate is going to be giving birth at the same hospital where her husband, william, was born, of course, where diana gave birth to him. do we know if she's at the hospital yet? >> we will be told when she is inside the hospital. she's giving birth in st. mary's. that's the plan, anyway. that's indeed where diana gave birth to william 31 years ago. that was unusual at the time. before that heir foru presumptis were born in royal residences. the queen didn't go to a hospital to be treated until 1982. diana was having none of that. she was going to give birth in a hospital amazingly with charles by her side. william, of course, will be absolutely by kate's side when
9:46 pm
she gives birth any minute now. >> i understand that the obstetrician has given up drinking for the last month. he put off his retirement so he can deliver this baby. boy, that's pretty special, huh? >> well, i mean there is going to be the third in line to the british throne. >> okay. let's talk about that. third in line. we've got charles. >> charles. >> william. >> and then the baby. >> the bump. >> we call it the bump. >> the bump bumps prince harry down. >> i like harry. harry gets bumped out by the baby. >> harry will be thrilled by that. >> you make a good point. >> it's a big relief. >> wasn't he in vegas playing poker. >> he's in the military. he has a proper job as well. that's the very interesting thing about the young royals. they all do work. william is in the military. harry is in the military. zahra phillips, their cousin, is an 0 olympic equest equestrian. >> i heard something about an
9:47 pm
ease yell where an announcement is made, tell me about that. >> this baby will not be announced on twitter. this is not a kim kardashian moment. > >> judge jeanine: thank god it's not a kim kardashian moment. i'm not going there. >> there will be a proclaimation outside buckingham palace, a 41 gun salute. we'll hear about it on twitter and press releases, but they want some show business. that's what the royal family does is push the show business forward. >> it's great for the economy. >> judge jeanine: kate has been great for the economy. i understand that the queen has to be told first. >> yes. >> judge jeanine: and that she's not to be wakened during the night, is that true? >> i didn't hear that. she apparently through an encrypted phone william will call the queen, and then the public will know by proclamation. the queen obviously has to hear first. >> judge jeanine: i hear if it's in the middle of the night, she will not be woken. >> we shall see on that. if it's
9:48 pm
on the middle of the night, the easel will appear the next morning and we'll hear by electronic press release but no twitter. >> judge jeanine: are there odds whether it's a boy or girl? >> daughter is the favorite because women make better monarchs. we make better queens. >> judge jeanine: absolutely. you're on the right show to say that. what about names? >> i like victoria. i like victoria afte. you need to go with a distinguished monarch. a favorite is alexandra with the bookies. >> judge jeanine: i look that with the bookies? >> the bookies are going crazy. they're betting on everything in britain from hair color to baby weight. there's a lot of time we seem to have on our hands waiting for this baby. >> judge jeanine: you know, i understand that the press has been very respectful given the way diana died and the problems that she had with the paparazzi and that they're very respectful of kate. is that the case?
9:49 pm
>> on some levels. william has a bit of a smiling hatred of the media because he believes they drove diana to her death. as a result, i think he'll be very amused that the press have been waiting for three weeks outside the hospital. >> judge jeanine: who came up with the date july 13th long past? >> kate did. she said it was during the middle of july, so she does what every young mother does. she's late. >> judge jeanine: thanks so much for being with us. as a mother o, the first one always comes late. coming up for the first time we have a hero of the week. stick around to see who it is. this is your last chance to vote in our instant poll, facebook or tweet me and let me know what you think. did rolling stone cross the line by putting the boston bomber on its cover? facebook or tweet me @judgejeanine. geico's defensive driver,ke 13.
9:50 pm
good student and multi-policy discounts could save you hundreds of dollus. engineer: uh geico's discounts could save you hundreds of "doll-ars." it sounds like you're saying "dollus." dollus. engineeif you could accentuate the "r" sound of "dollars." are...are... are... engineer: are... arrrrrr. arrrrr. someone bring me an eye patch, i feel like a bloomin' pirate. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. honestly, i feel like i nailed that. >> with hotwire's low prices, we can afford to take more trips this year. hit the beach in florida... >> and a reunion in seattle. when hotels have unsold rooms, ey use hotwire to fill them. >> so we got our four-star hotels for half price! >> men: ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e, hotwire.com. ♪
9:51 pm
9:52 pm
9:53 pm
♪ now for the results of our instapoll. we asked did rolling stone cross the line by putting dzhokhar tsarnaev on the cover? about 98% of the thousands of people who responded thought rolling stone went too far. julie tweets cross the line? about three times. he's not a musician. he's not famous, and it's disrespectful to the victims and families. james says they should have put up the picture of the child who was killed. wd writes we start glorifying terrorists and we just get more of them. and then there was cecil. no, that's why we have freedom of speech. well, cecil, maybe you ought to listen to beth.
9:54 pm
freedom of speech is a good thing. however, sometimes we don't have to open our mouths and prove that we're idiots. rolling stone had other defenders as well. mary said no, they did not. if anyone is going to do an objective story, i'm adding about this pot smoking kid, it would be rolling stone. the hype against the magazine is fueled by ignorance. and finally, pamela. i've never been a fan of rolling stone but i feel compelled to say that everyone should be considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. now, normally at this point we bring you our creep of the week. tonight, though, i want to recognize a man who deserves to be called the hero of the week. his name is sergeant shawn murphy, a massachusetts state trooper, who was their tactical photographer. he's the man who took these pictures of boston bomber tsarnaev the night he was captured, and he was so furious with rolling stone's cover,
9:55 pm
glamourizing the terrorist, that he released the images showing the real dzhokhar, and that he was suspended. murphy's picture show the bomber bloodied, disshelfed and with the red dot of the sniper's laser on his forehead. here's to the officer who showed remarkable restraint there and didn't pull the trigger. according to our hero murphy, tsarnaev is evil and his photos show the real boston bomber, not someone fluffed and buffed for the cover of rolling stone. the problem is, the massachusetts state police didn't authorize the release of the photos, and according to boston magazine which published the photos, murphy has been relieved of duty pending a hearing next week. murphy himself said what rolling stone did was wrong. this guy is evil. this is the real boston bomber, not someone on the cover of
9:56 pm
rolling stone that you saw. sergeant murphy, thank you for doing what you did, and standing on principle. we need more people like you, and so you're our hero of the week. that's it for us tonight. thanks for joining us. make sure to pick up a copy of my new book, clever fox. it makes a great summer beach reading. danny fox, the young woman prosecutor torn between two men and what she doesn't know can hurt her. as she navigates the male crime is not so much about whodunit but how politics influences cases, and she finds out about the biggest darkest secret in law enforcement, the turf war between the feds and the locals. go to amazon, barnes & noble, readers have given the book five out of five stars. and it's gotten great reviews from publishers weekly and book lists. thanks very much. remember to friend me on facebook.
9:57 pm
follow me on twitter @judgejeanine. we'll see you next week, same time, same place, same me. have a good night. let's get the ball rolling. in cities like charlotte, atlanta, and chicago, we're revving people up to take a lap around the legendary nascar race track with drivers from the coca-cola racing family. coca-coca family track walks give thousands of race fans the chance to get out, get moving, and have fun... all along the way. it's part of our goal to inspire more than three million people to rediscover the joy of being active this summer. see the difference all of us can make... together.
9:58 pm
car insurance companies say they'll save you by switching, you'd have like, a ton of dollars. but how're they saving you those dollars? a lot of companies might answer "um" or "no comment." then there's esurance. born online, raised by technology and majors in efficiency. so whatever they save, you save.
9:59 pm
hassle, time, paperwork, hair-tearing out, and yes, especially dollars. esurance. now backed by allstate. click or call. >> with hotwire's low prices, i can cross even more places off my travel wish list.
10:00 pm
this year alone, i hit new york and texas. see, hotwire checks the competition's rates every day so they can guarantee their low hotel prices. >> men: ♪ h-o-t-w-i-r-e, hotwire.com. ♪ this is a fox news alert. i'm geraldo rivera reporting that peaceful rallies in new york, l.a., atlanta, miami, and scores of other cities around the country today honored trayvon martin. exactly one week after a florida jury found george zimmerman not guilty of killing the unarmed teenager. >> we cannot have a society where any one of our children can be taken down. they have the right to stand their ground. what about

96 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on