Skip to main content

tv   M. Jackson Dr.  MSNBC  November 13, 2011 6:00pm-7:00pm PST

6:00 pm
we are interrupting our regular programming, because there are reports that the singer and pop culture icon michael jackson has died. >> lapd detectives have gone to the home where michael jackson was rents as part of what is a routine death investigation. >> the l.a. county coroner has ruled michael jackson's death a homicide, and the last person to see him alive was his doctor. >> conrad murray figuratively
6:01 pm
and literally abandoned michael jackson. >> conrad murderer! >> though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil. >> justice for michael! justice for michael! >> please be strong. >> dr. murray is not a perfect man. he is an imperfect man, like all of us, but if the prosecution is going to get up here and tell you that he is greedy and callous and reckless, you need to hear the full story about him. in the spring of 2009,
6:02 pm
michael jackson, the so-called king of pop was poised for the biggest comeback of his career. he would perform a record-breaking 50 concerts that summer at london's o2 arena and in financial straits, the concerts would help jackson get out of debt. >> i will be performing the songs that my fans want to hear. >> to get through the grueling schedule, jackson turned to dr. conrad murray, a las vegas-based doctor he knew. >> this is it. i mean, this is really it. this is the final, the final curtain call. >> michael was an incredible human being. the greatest performer of all time. we are friends.
6:03 pm
and i could never, ever betray his trust in me. >> on november 7th, 2011, a los angeles jury found dr. conrad murray guilty of involuntary manslaughter. for two years we followed dr. murray as he awaited and then went on trial. this is his story in his own words. >> my story is one of david and goliath. i have seen the whole world coming at me. that is the goliath. david was clearly not expecting to be victorious, but he had god with him. you cast your faith to the wind, and it is left for others to judge and to make a decision.
6:04 pm
>> conrad murray as the doctor on scene had a legal duty of care to use his best medical judgment to do no harm to michael jackson. he left this vulnerable man filled with valium and midazolam and propofol with no medical monitoring equipment, no necessary resuscitative equipment. dr. conrad murray's actions directly caused the death of michael jackson. >> we believe that the evidence will tell you this that michael jackson wanted to sleep for ten hours. was frustrated and unable to sleep, and his doctor would not give him propofol, the drug he wanted. michael jackson swallowed up to eight lorazepam without permission of his doctors, and
6:05 pm
when dr. murray left the room, michael jackson self-administered a dose of an additional dose of propofol, and it killed him. it killed him like that. and there was no way to save him. >> during his opening statement to the jury, ed chernoff, murray's lead attorney introduced the defense's theory that unbeknownst to dr. murray michael jackson took a lethal combination of drugs that killed him. >> i think that the whole notion that you laid out with lorazepam that killed him went -- >> they were surprised. they didn't know this. and that is because of what the media was portraying. >> am i okay to go around saying, you did hear what happened, what the defense's theory is?
6:06 pm
is that cool to do, ed? >> i told you there was a surprise today. go over the opening statement, and you know what killed him now. and it wasn't propofol. >> for months dr. murray's defense team struggled to get the message across the what they perceived as a hostile media. >> the way that the media is running this is as if dr. murray came from hell up to earth specifically for the purpose of killing michael jackson. >> the entire planet wants to know what happened to michael jackson. >> dr. murray is perhaps the only person who might know what really happened that fateful day. his relationship with jackson began in 2006 in las vegas when he made a house call to care for jackson's children. murray had been recommended by one of jackson's bodyguards.
6:07 pm
>> this is where i met him. i took care of himself and his three children initially. and then we developed a relationship as of that time on. the paparazzi was here, and everybody was around and everybody looking into the property. we escaped many a times -- actually in this said vehicle. he would climb into the back seat. he would tell security don't follow. they have no authority. my heart pounded a little bit. but he liked those risks. i think that he kind of cheered it on. >> one thing that murray says that he and jackson had in common was a difficult relationship with their fathers. he says that his father did not publicly acknowledge him until his mid-20s. >> in some ways there was a mirror part of our lives in that we didn't have full appreciation
6:08 pm
of the fathers. i had a dad that was affectionate for me, but i could not allow the affection to be known publicly. and of course, that was tough to handle. he had a dad who never hugged him. never hugged his own children. >> i've seen him cry so many times. i told him it's okay to cry. it's okay. it's okay, michael. you can cry. he lived a life greater than a
6:09 pm
hundred years of pain of any human on earth. ♪ >> all of his life, he was searching for a friend. he had have many close acquaintances. but friends he did not have. he said of all of my life, i have found one friend which is you. dr. conrad. is facing some tough challenges right now. two of the most important are energy security and economic growth. north america actually has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. a large part of that is oil sands. this resource has the ability to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. at our kearl project in canada, we'll be able to produce these oil sands with the same emissions as many other oils and that's a huge breakthrough.
6:10 pm
that's good for our country's energy security and our economy. is to dig right in. but as his dentist, i know that to do that, he needs to use the brush more dentists use. oral-b. trust the brush more dentists and hygienists use. oral-b. life opens up when you do. but my nose is still runny. [ male announcer ] truth is, dayquil doesn't treat that. really? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus fights your worst cold symptoms, plus it relieves your runny nose.
6:11 pm
[ deep breath] awesome. [ male announcer ] yes, it is. that's the cold truth!
6:12 pm
the los angeles county coroner ruled that michael jackson's death was homicide. the autopsy stated that an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol killed him, a drug that murray admitted to
6:13 pm
police giving jackson that morning. >> i'm holding the item 119, your honor, containing two 200 millimeter propofol bottles. i'm opening the bag. >> the use of propofol in jackson's home was the most damning evidence against murray, but the defense argued that the 20 milligrams of the drug that he said he gave michael was not enough to cause the death. >> we are not communicating well here, doctor. i asked you a question, what amounts of propofol do you use? >> in my practice of procedural sedation, i couldn't imagine i would give 25 milligrams to an otherwise healthy male. because i would not think that
6:14 pm
would produce any sedation amount i would want to achieve. >> so what you are saying is that 25 milligrams is a small amount of propofol to give a patient? >> 25 milligrams would not be a sufficient dose in most patients. >> and what did you think of the performance of that? >> well, she would start off with 60 milligrams and the doctor starts out with 25, and he is obviously not overmedicating. >> this is a word of encouragement. letters. >> the point is that to get the information no the jury, and you did that perfect. i got it. they got it. i saw that. >> we will not start until the prosecution finishes. >> justice for michael!
6:15 pm
>> i kept going back and forth there, because i knew i was forgetting things in my head, and i was seeing things, but i could not see. >> murray's defense team hadn't been paid for months, because dr. murray is financially strapped, so to save money, michael flanagan, the l.a.-based member of the team and his wife susan invite ed chernoff the lead defense attorney to stay in their home outside of l.a. chernoff comes from dr. murray's old hometown houston and prides himself on the closeness with clients and saying on the website that clients consider him a savior and a friend. >> everybody flocks around him. there's got to be 100 cameras, and what about michael jackson being so screwed up, and you see dr. murray? that is what happens when dr. murray is not around. >> and the fact that he is fantastic, but you shouldn't
6:16 pm
call him murphy. >> what's his name? >> four months before his death, murray says that jackson began pressing him to close his las vegas and houston practices and become his full time physician. he wanted murray to keep him in top health for the 50 "this is it" concerts. >> he said, dr. conrad, i have watched you. i have looked at you for so long. i said, why are you looking at me? what is that about? he says, i looked at you, because i tested you. you are the one. >> in april 2009, murray agreed to make michael jackson his only patient. he shut down his private
6:17 pm
cardiology practice and moved to los angeles to live with michael in the beverly hills mansion rented for michael by the concert promoter aeg live. >> i had reign of everybody i wanted in the house. the only people in the home would be the children, michael, and myself. security were never permitted to come into this house. >> but there was a second bed chamber and adjoining chamber that was off limits to everyone but michael. >> he always had a chamber that was exclusively his. that chamber was reserved and completely locked down. not even the maid could go in there. and the children would not go in there. that was off limits. the bedroom that he slept where i worked with him during the night, that i had to persuade him to eventually have it
6:18 pm
cleaned, because it was mildewed and did not smell good. and i had to get it clean. >> dr. murray's never been in that bathroom. that was off limits even to him. nobody has been in that room. and it looks like it has not been cleaned for months. when those pictures start coming out and the public finally sees what that bathroom looks like, what are they going to think? they will start turning around. >> explain a 50-year-old man who sleeps with a baby doll and has pictures of basically infants to 2-year-old children looking at him every night. >> i think everything about him is sick. it's weird. >> he's amazing in his field of music.
6:19 pm
>> the media made him appear weirder than he is. >> you have to be kidding me? he cannot appear any weirder than he is. >> after moving to los angeles, murray's relationship with jackson deepened. it was then that dr. murray says that michael confided his vision that god had asked michael to reach out to the world's children to save the planet from destruction. >> michael felt that he was ordained. >> murray says that michael asked him to be his partner in this great endeavor. >> he says we are selected to do this. that is coming from his lips. we are selected to do this. we can do it. we have to do it. we can do it.
6:20 pm
>> a more troubling take on this conversation was played in court. a recording of a conversation that michael had with dr. murray. >> god wants me to do it. god wants me to do it. i'm going do it. conrad -- that's the next generation that's going save our planet. >> a religious man, dr. murray had his own revelation less than a month after michael's death. >> the past few weeks commencing with the passing of michael and as of july 15th, 2009, 3:00 a.m., things changed. a holy spirit came to me, and i could feel the warmth. i can see his face.
6:21 pm
i could see his garment as he came down to touch me. he lifted me out of full of darkness, and he brought me to light. he saved me. he protected me. i am protected, and he will put me and keep me safely in the secret chambers of his tabernacle. thank you, father. thank you, thank you. i love you, lord. big! big, big. big big big big? big big big big big. big big...big. ♪ big big big -big. -big! [ cheers and applause ] ♪ big big big -big big. -big! -big -big! -♪ big -big. -big big big. big big big.
6:22 pm
big big big. small. big big big big. small! [ male announcer ] the space-saving, eco-friendly, totally unique smart. unbig. uncar. ♪ see? he's taking his vitamins. new one a day vitacraves plus omega-3 dha is a complete multivitamin for adults. plus an excellent source of omega-3 dha in a great tasting gummy. one a day, gummies for grown-ups. congratulations. congratulations. today, the city of charlotte can use verizon technology to inspire businesses to conserve energy and monitor costs. making communities greener... congratulations. ... and buildings as valuable to the bottom line... whoa ! ... as the people inside them. congratulations. because when you add verizon to your company, you don't just add, you multiply. ♪ discover something new... verizon.
6:23 pm
not financially. so we switched to the bargain detergent, but i found myself using three times more than you're supposed to and the clothes still weren't as clean as with tide. so we're back to tide. they're cuter in clean clothes. thanks, honey. yeah. you suck at folding. [ laughs ] [ female announcer ] just one cap of tide plus bleach gives you more cleaning power than six caps of the bargain brand. visit facebook.com/tide to learn about special offers. that's my tide. what's yours? m amatheea fssere's noerouioo yo g
6:24 pm
june 2009, the rehearsals taking place at l.a. staples center for michael's "this is it" tour were not going well. in the trial, the prosecution showed footage of the rehearsals to show the vigor and health of michael prior to his death. what they didn't show is the footage of the many earlier performances where michael was late or didn't complete the rehearsal. >> the producer had made several statements that this could not go on. if michael was not going to do what he was expected to do, they could not have a show.
6:25 pm
and they could not get michael to conform to what they wanted. michael, on the other hand, was saying that they were working him too much, and he did not want to be worked as a machine. he felt like a machine. >> kenny ortega, the director of "this is it" warned of michael's condition in an e-mail he sent to his boss five days before michael's death. >> my concern is that he appeared quite weak and fatigued this evening. he had a terrible case of the chills. was trumabling, rambling and obsessing. tonight i was feeding him, wrapping him in blankets to warm his chills, and i believe that he really wants this. it would shatter him, break his
6:26 pm
heart if we pulled the plug. he is terribly frightened that it is all going to go away. it broke my heart. he was like a lost boy. sincerely, kenny. >> london welcomes the king of pop. mr. michael jackson. >> with aeg live advancing a great deal of money for the production, in fact, aeg live was bankrolling michael's house and staff and agreed to pay dr. murray $150,000 a month. it was no surprise that ortega's e-mail resulted in an emergency meeting at michael's house with randy phillips the head of aeg live. michael, ortega and dr. murray. in court phillips was asked about that meeting. >> kenny opened up the meeting by talking about his concern
6:27 pm
that michael needed to really focus and to really pay attention to this production, that it was massive, and that they couldn't do it without him. >> all right. and what was michael jackson's response? >> michael didn't respond immediately. okay. dr. murray spoke for michael on the situation, and michael's focus and michael's showing up, and guaranteed us that michael would get into it, and would connect. >> jackson's problems at the rehearsals stemmed in part from a severe sleep disorder he had been dealing with for years according to dr. murray and others who testified at the trial, jackson treated the problem by having doctors give him propofol. murray, himself, admits to giving michael propofol shortly after becoming his full-time physician. >> because of the concept that he needed sleep so he could
6:28 pm
compose properly, be ready for the performances and this is only because of the concert. >> and the pressure was stepped up on murray to help him get the sleep he needed to perform. >> he said, i want 15 to 18 hours of sleep. that is what most doctors give me. give me ten minutes. give me 20 minutes. i said to him, why would ten minutes help you? it doesn't make sense. how would 20 minutes make a difference? it will. it will. it really helps me. i can really composing at this stage of the production. >> and i now spiked the bottle of propofol. >> and the prosecution's case is built with the belief that murray never should have given
6:29 pm
michael propofol at home to help him sleep, and that the drug in fact caused his death. >> to be treating him with a potent anesthetic which has no proven role in management of insomnia is really hard to really grasp. it is inconceivable. >> to win the case, the defense needs to successfully undermine the prosecution's expert medical witnesses who are hammering away at the use of propofol and it should never be administrated at home. because of his strong background in criminal cases, michael flanagan will be the defense's attorney in cross-examining the witnesses. >> now, how much propofol did he give him? >> he gave 25 milligrams of propofol and then started him on a drip. >> it doesn't say he started him on a drip, does it? >> i think it does, yes.
6:30 pm
>> it doesn't. >> it doesn't? >> no. >> can i look at the report? >> sure. >> i think that the doctor -- i can cross-examine him and he does not stand a chance. i can slice him like a sword. he is stupid. however, i take a offense when my damn attorney is not prepared for that matter. >> he never said he gave a drip. >> i disagree with you. he gave a drip. it says here. he says a dose and a drip. line 22. he says it. about that night. >> flanagan got a wakeup and he needs a lot of pit bull or red bull after lunch, and end of story. this is why i said i'm available, ask me questions. i am the source. talk to me. spend time with me. get to understand it. i'm available. when you go up there and you're fumbling around, of course it
6:31 pm
pisss me off. that's not what i expect. okay? stop. i'm talking to him. please don't interrupt me. >> the dose and the drip is referring to what he handled, and didn't you understand that to be referring to what he handled before finding? >> no, i don't see it that way. he didn't say i didn't give a drip. he said i gave a dose and a drip. can we agree to disagree? >> i probably should have controlled him a little bit better. i think if the prosecution rested right now, they win. when you have tough pain, do you want fast relief?
6:32 pm
try bayer advanced aspirin. it's not the bayer aspirin you know. it's different. first, it's been re-engineered with micro-particles. second, it enters the bloodstream fast, and rushes relief to the site of your tough pain. the best part? it's proven to relieve pain twice as fast as before. bayer advanced aspirin. test how fast it works for you. love it, or get your money back. test how fast it works for you. ♪ ♪ ♪ when the things that you need ♪ ♪ come at just the right speed, that's logistics. ♪ ♪ medicine that can't wait legal briefs there by eight, ♪ ♪ that's logistics. ♪ ♪ freight for you, box for me box that keeps you healthy, ♪ ♪ that's logistics. ♪ ♪ saving time, cutting stress, when you use ups ♪
6:33 pm
♪ that's logistics. ♪ you know what else is early? medicare open enrollment. now through december 7th. can i stick with my old medicare plan? sure! or find a new plan with better coverage, less cost, or both. medicare plans give you free cancer screenings and wellness visits and 50% off on brand-name prescriptions when you're in the doughnut hole. it's part of the healthcare law. so it's time to look, compare... and choose the right plan for you. learn more at 1-800-medicare or medicare.gov.
6:34 pm
i'm melissa rehberger. here's what happens. president obama is to hold a speech at the end of the summit in hawaii. it is to focus on jobs. and he says he will get to work quickly on trying to form a
6:35 pm
new government assuring they can heal their financial situation. he replaces berscoloni who resigned yesterday. now back to "michael jackson and the doctor." michael jackson's performances in the rehearsals at staples center had not been going well. after the crisis meeting at michael's house between michael, murray, and the producers, the doctor decided to try to wean him off of propofol. murray says that two days before jackson's death, he managed to get jackson to sleep without propofol. the impact on jackson's performance at rehearsals was immediate and could readily be seen in the footage played at trial in kenny ortega's testimony. >> he entered full of energy, and desire to work and full of
6:36 pm
enthusiasm and it was a different michael. we had two very successful days at rehearsal, and michael was feeling great and he looked at me and asked me if i was happy and i said i was happy. i asked him if he was happy, and he said he was very happy. >> as you know now, he never returned to staples center. following that rehearsal, michael was taken home and arrived home at 1:00 in the morning and the question is what transpired then from 1:00 in the morning to michael's death. >> his last rehearsal was one that all agreed was wonderful and murray says that when michael jackson arrived home, he was excited, but anxious to get his sleep for the next day's rehearsal. according to murray's police statement, at approximately 2:00 a.m. he gave michael valium and lorazepam, heavy sedatives, but no propofol. at 3:00 a.m., the doctor gave
6:37 pm
him another sedative midazolam, and despite the drugs, jackson could not sleep. hours passed and murray says that he begged for propofol, and because of the milky color, jackson called milk. >> he was basically hysterical, he really could not sleep. and he begged and pleaded and asked me, please, please, dr. conrad. i need some milk so i can sleep. if i don't get any sleep today, i cannot perform. i cannot do anything. the agent will be upset, and everything will basically go down the drain. he looked to me during that morning to be like the "thriller." have you seen the "thriller" image when he was made-up?
6:38 pm
he looked that. now, i did not want to give him the medication, because i'm trying to show him a different path, but here's the pressure he puts on me now. he can't practice. he can't go to concert. aeg is going to be on him. the tour will fall apart. it is not going to happen. this is it. it is over for this man if he does not make this happen. i thought and struggled. i rubbed his feet. i felt such a weight.
6:39 pm
i was so, so worried about this man who is my friend thinking about where aeg's promise of the future would lie. >> it was dawn now and dr. murray's medications were still not working. >> you know, there was several times that he would walk away from me, and go into the other room. to me, that was a break. that was a break. that the longer he stayed awake is the less i had to deal with the fact that i could not get him to sleep. after he begged and pleaded, it was, you know what. if i give him just a tiny amount
6:40 pm
of propofol, 25 milligrams, slowly infuse, i may just put tip him into sleep. and the other medications may have a chance to work, because he had a fair amount of medication aboard and the medications he had aboard before we even got to that point, i told him, i said, michael, i could put an elephant to sleep. this is not normal. it is not normal. he fell asleep. i was very pleased. >> by now according to murray's police statement, it was 10:50 a.m., and murray says he watched over michael for 25 minutes until he felt the small amount of propofol had worked its way through the system. he then began making phone calls. >> so it was not unusual for me to make calls or return calls
6:41 pm
during the morning hours while he was still asleep. it was not unusual. >> his last call was to a waitress he had met recently, and he never completed it. >> i said, hello, hello? i didn't hear anything. that is when i pressed the phone against my ear, and i heard mumbling of voices. it sounded like the phone was maybe in his pocket or something. >> during this call, dr. murray sees that his patient michael jackson has stopped breathing. >> he was not breathing. so my concern was as those agents the valium, the adavan, the veset acted in concert has now overwhelmed him once he went to sleep. not 25 milligrams of propofol. >> instead of dialing 911
6:42 pm
immediately, murray tries to revive jackson while calling for help from the household staff. >> i saw him come down in the kitchen in a frantic. >> what did he shout? >> get help. get security. get prince. >> the first security showed up when he finally realized that there was a emergency he got to the door named alberto alvarez. he got to the door and he remained static. >> i was reaching for the phone in my pocket, and as i did that prince and paris came up behind me. paris screamed out "daddy." >> i told security to get the kids away from there, and get the kids away from there because i did not want them to see their father having cpr or a resuscitative event. >> dr. conrad murray said don't let them see their dad like this. i proceeded to turn around to the children and kind of ushered
6:43 pm
them out and said, kids, don't worry, we will take care of it, everything is going to be okay. >> he says, oh, doctor, doctor, what happened? i need help. i am doing cpr and mr. jackson is not breathing. come in here, and get me help. call 911. i need you to call 911. >> what is your emergency? >> sir, we have a gentleman here who needs help, and he is not breathing. he is not breathing, and we are trying to pump him, but he is not. >> okay. >> in addition to me doing cpr, chest compression and trying to resuscitate this patient, he is, i'm controlling him on the 911 call, how old is this patient? 50. >> we have a personal doctor here with him, sir. >> you have a doctor there? >> yes, but he is not responding to anything, and he is not responding to cpr or anything. >> oh, okay. >> i said, tell them where we are and get the [ bleep ] over here. get here immediately.
6:44 pm
i need you to come. come on! help me. >> sir, you just -- if you can please. >> we are on the way. i am just passing my questions on to the paramedics they are on the way. >> well, sir, he is pumping on the chest, and he is not responding to anything. sir, please. >> okay. okay. we are on the way. >> you as the on site emergency doctor authorized the paramedics to pronounce the patient dead? >> yes. hey, everyone's eating tacos outside bill's office.
6:45 pm
[ chuckles ] you think that is some information i would have liked to know? i like tacos. you invited eric? i thought eric gave you the creeps. [ phone buzzes ] oh. [ chuckles ] yeah. hey. [ male announcer ] don't be left behind. get it faster with 4g. at&t. ♪ big, big. big big big big? big big big big big. big big...big.
6:46 pm
♪ big big big -big. -big! [ cheers and applause ] ♪ big big big -big big. -big! -big -big! -♪ big -big. -big big big. big big big. big big big. small. big big big big. small! [ male announcer ] the space-saving, eco-friendly, totally unique smart. unbig. uncar. ♪ see? he's taking his vitamins. new one a day vitacraves plus omega-3 dha is a complete multivitamin for adults. plus an excellent source of omega-3 dha in a great tasting gummy. one a day, gummies for grown-ups.
6:47 pm
6:48 pm
with the trial drawing toward a close, dr. stephen schaffer, an expert on propofol is proving to be an effective witness for the prosecution. >> dr. schaffer, you have clearly described 17 egregious violations of the standard of care. the 17 violations individually were likely to result in injury or death to michael jackson? >> yes.
6:49 pm
>> murray's defense team will call its own propofol expert, dr. paul white, to the stand, and the pressure is growing on chernoff and flanagan to persuasively counter the prosecution's strong case. >> they have no examples of that. >> when he presented dr. murray as a non-doctor -- >> and i think the jury believes that. we have to bring them back to the issue of causation. >> we have to get it to be a cardiac arrest that starts this thing, otherwise you lose mathematically. >> you honestly think that in the cross-examination of schaffer, he is going to admit that it is a cardiac arrest, and we will have that argument? that conversation? >> no, he has to admit that he doesn't know, because he has never studied the effects of propofol. >> and when i ask him, i will say, isn't it true na you don't know, and he will say, i do know, because of this and this and this and we won't get into the science with this guy, because that is what we have a scientist for. >> no.
6:50 pm
>> i'm not going to argue with you about methodology. >> i will keep my mouth shut. >> no, i won't have an argument with the guy on science. >> [ bleep ] you. with a guy o signs. >> [ bleep ] you. >> you want to spend three hours doing that, go ahead. >> no. no. you don't see the issue. >> got you. >> he's got it all mapped out for you and you're missing it. >> all right. see you guys tomorrow. >> thank you, doctor. thank you, your honor. >> mr. walgren, thank you. at this time, cross-examination by the defense, mr. chernoff. >> thank you. >> thank you. >> their dispute over strategy led chernoff to remove flannagan from the final examination of
6:51 pm
dr. shafer. >> one of the things that you were asked your opinion about that you testified about yesterday was the actual i.v. infusion, how michael jackson receives the propofol in his body. you do understand the difference between opinion and fact, don't you? >> objection. >> you understand that everything you said in the last two days is your opinion. you understand that, right? do you understand that? >> it might be the opinion that i have as a physician but i believe it's an -- >> the interesting question -- >> chernoff's cross of dr. shafer resulted in a falling out with flanagan, causing chernoff to move out of flanagan's house. >> my theory with experts is that you don't cross experts in their area of expertise.
6:52 pm
you're asking for trouble. you've got to be smarter than the expert. it's important enough for me and that's why i took it over. you know, i'm fighting the judge any way, fighting the prosecution any way. i'm hoping that it will all pan out. but it may not. >> with his personal liberty clearly at risk, dr. murray has re-evaluated his own relationships, especially with jackson. >> i do not think that he would have had an active intention to do me harm. but i think through his most intense desire to have me there with him, it was inter-winded with a degree of betrayal.
6:53 pm
>> teach me a way, oh lord and do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries. for false witnesses have risen against me. be of good courage and he should strengthen my heart when i say unto the lord. >> yes. >> they want you to convict dr. murray for the actions of michael jackson. poor conrad murray. everyone is to blame but dr. conrad murray. >> this kind of medical treatment has never been seen. it was a pharmaceutical
6:54 pm
experiment. justice demands a guilty verdict. >> we've been dancing around this for six weeks. somebody's just got to say it. if it were anybody but michael jackson, would this doctor be here today? >> ladies and gentlemen of the jury, i'm advised that the jury has reached a verdict. >> we the jury in the above entitled action find the defendant, conrad robert murray guilty of the crime of involuntary manslaughter. >> guilty! guilty! guilty! >> the judge, michael pastor, denies conrad murray bail and sends him to the l.a. county
6:55 pm
jail. >> it was so sad. i remember running down the hall and i was punching the wall. i was punching the wall. i didn't want to lose him. i loved him. i don't want to talk anymore.
6:56 pm
the employee of the month isss...
6:57 pm
the new spark card from capital one. spark miles gives me the most rewards of any small business credit card. the spark card earns double miles... so we really had to up our game. with spark, the boss earns double miles on every purchase, every day. that's setting the bar pretty high. owning my own business has never been more rewarding. coming through! [ male announcer ] introducing spark the small business credit cards from capital one. get more by choosing unlimited double miles or 2% cash back on every purchase, every day. what's in your wallet? s coirtrublend ot r okeu t s meou. yeah, i toog nyguil bud i'm stild stubbed up.
6:58 pm
[ male announcer ] truth is, nyquil doesn't un-stuff your nose. really? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus liquid gels fights your worst cold symptoms, plus it relieves your stuffy nose. [ deep breath ] thank you! that's the cold truth! congratulations. congratulations. today, the city of charlotte can use verizon technology to inspire businesses to conserve energy and monitor costs. making communities greener... congratulations. ... and buildings as valuable to the bottom line... whoa ! ... as the people inside them. congratulations. because when you add verizon to your company, you don't just add, you multiply. ♪ discover something new... verizon.
6:59 pm

61 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on