Skip to main content

tv   The Beat With Ari Melber  MSNBC  July 31, 2019 3:00pm-4:00pm PDT

3:00 pm
we are just two hours away from round two of the second month of democratic debates. be sure to stay with msnbc tonight. we'll bring you expert analysis hosted by brian williams. it all starts approximately at 10:30, but as soon as the debate's over, you know where to switch. we'll be back tomorrow with more "meet the press." >> you know, chuck, you know where to switch. you're not asking political junkies to do anything other than switch once they take in the debate. >> them know where to go, man. all you got to do, here's what we know, hit the prev button. we know, folks, hit the previous but the. >> and we have a lot to get to in this edition of "the beat." joe biden, kamala harris heading for a rematch. later, we'll be joined live by marianne williamson the most googled person on stage last night. and new s why mitch mcconnell is
3:01 pm
outraged over the attacks like moscow mitch. we begin tonight with ten more democratic candidates taking this debate stage. and tonight's debate has several famous names including kamala harris and joe biden some arguing he has to bounce back from the rough night he had at the first debate. >> there was a little girl in california who was part of the second class to integrate her public schools. she was bussed to school every day. and that little girl was me. >> that's a miscarrieization of my position across the board. i agree that everybody -- my time's up. i'm sorry. >> everyone knows debates are a type of performance. that meets expectation dozen matter. biden now previewing a strategy saying he won't be "as polite" tonight. he's personally assuring donors things are still on track. these debates are about reaching donors for lesser known
3:02 pm
candidates. this is the main way people are meeting them. 11 million people watch the debate on tv or online last night. some of these candidates sparking the kind of moments or interesting that will generate necessary polling to continue. most candidates still haven't qualified for the next debate in the september. all this is after the first round debated last night with leading progressives in that race, sanders and warren squaring off over what came to be a push and pull with the moderates whether these ideas are big and bold and the way to take on trump or somehow so "extreme or unrealistic they could backfire." >> i don't understand why anybody goes do all the trouble of running aring for president of the units just to talk about what we want do and shouldn't fight for. >> i think democrats run when we run on real solutions, not impossible promises. when we run on things that are workable, not fairy tale economics. >> i get a little bit tired of
3:03 pm
democrats afraid of big ideas. >> let's not just talk about plans that are written for press releases that will go nowhere else. >> identify heard some people here tonight, i wonder why you're democrats. you seem to think there's something wrong about using the instruments of government to help people. >> snap. >> i'm joined by jason johnson, politics editor for the root, darrick hamilton at ohio state and has advised several of these democrats running for president including on policy, sanders, warren harris and booker. ar zerlina maxwell director of progressive programming for sirius xm. nice to see you all here. your first time on "the beat," sir. >> proud moment. >> people know universal income. they know baby bonds, a lot of the issues you've been writing about. your work cited by more than one candidate when this comes to this debate over big and bold or more tax cuts, what did you think came through last night?
3:04 pm
>> i think there was clear distinctions about a vision that was one of economic inclusion towards rights of health care, rights towards a job, rights for an environment that we all can have in a sustainable way versus more moderate middle of the road approaches. >> did you think that was a sick burn by elizabeth warren saying you're running for president, tell us what we can't do? >> there were a few sick burns in that debate last night. i think sanders had one, elizabeth warren had one and marianne williamson had one that you just showed, >> i'll ask her about that. she's on later. what did you see? >> i think it showed elizabeth warren is doing something different than some of the other candidates. she's showing up with plans on what she is going to do if she becomes the president. and that's very clear. no one can ask, what does elizabeth warren stand for and what will she do as president. every candidate has the job of explaining that and for some reason, she's the best at it. bernie sanders was good at it
3:05 pm
and effective at communicating his message last night. i think that that moderate progressive fight was substantive so that's good. but i think in some ways it's misguided to say that the democrats are going way too far to the left. oh, no, this is so scary because just a few years ago, we were debating the same thing when we were talking about obamacare and republicans were saying the same things about the aca which is now actually the moderate position. so if we don't have am nearby yag collectively in this moment, we can look back to that debate because it can inform this debate. essentially, we're a little further to the left, right? we're starting further to the left. before we were starting at as a public option. now we're starreding with medicare for all. maybe we'll end up with a public option. negotiating requires push and pull. >> the overton window or what are people seeing as possible. warren, jason, to her point is ved comfortable doing that. when she wants to reframe and
3:06 pm
given the intelligent academic she is, she's got at it. i'm going to reframe. i'm going to play a little bit. you saw that on health care and how they went back and forth. take a look. >> we are the democrats. we are not about trying to take away health care from anyone. that's what the republicans are trying to do. >> it used to be just republicans wanted to repeat and replace. now many democrats do, as well. >> what i am talking about and others up here are talking about is no deduct be deductibles and no payments. jake, your question is a republican talking point. >> no one's ever won election by saying you know, yes we can't or yes, we kind of should talk about it. elizabeth warren her and bernie are the only people who understand that casting a vision, right, for what you want the country to be is what you're supposed to do. there's a second thing that was unique to her different from
3:07 pm
bernie. bern a ran in 2016. his supporters will say bernie can win. elizabeth warren caught a body last night with delaney. she put him out. even though he was never going to be a candidate. >> do you think there's probable cause there. >> 911, i'd like to report a murder. >> just saw a murder. that was a good moment for her because it didn't show i've got a vision, it showed i'm willing to fight for this. i love the fact she and bernie did a mr. and mrs. smith and knocked out all the moderates and said we're going to make in about us, too. it was a good night for both candidates. >> this goes to something that gets very litigated in democratic primaries which is the sort of notion of being, quote unquote, responsible or adult which can start to sound patronizing. war is expensive and presidents in both parties have started big wars. nobody said we can't possibly do that.
3:08 pm
it starts to become a kind you have trick. and i raise that in the context of what you're saying with a new video out from joe biden that shows two things. one, he's somewhat shook because he's making an attack on -- he doesn't know how the debate's going and he's already attacking other people. if you believe you're the front-runner, you don't do that. two, he is comfortable staking out the position and maybe he would argue with his washington experience that he's the one to do it that some of the health care ideas are too expensive. >> all this done without a middle class tax hike. >> yes. >> 30 trillion over ten years. >> there are ways to pay for it. >> people got to the pay more in taxes, yes. >> so yes, i'm with bernie on medicare for all. >> smart move by joe biden. here's why. what you saw last night is how difficult it is to actually be a moderate in this environment and the fact that he's managed to maintain his front-runner status
3:09 pm
while being a moderate has been really, really difficult. he's saying look, i can give you everything you want. i'm going to increase health care and give you middle class tax cuts. it's a smart move by joe biden. i don't know that he's going to be able to maintain the status if he has a second screwed up debate. >> seems like the party on the population in general is beyond the biden democratic frame that took places in 2008. i guess it's hard for him to run on something that would be against what evers originally in 2008, but we can look and see what the policies are and where the temperature is. and we can see that bernie sanders' historic run that last time kind of paved the way for these people. >> professor, are you saying it's hard out here for a moderate? >> which is a good thing. >> i mean, i think this is smart. back to squampb's point. that's the only lane he can go in in terms of this particular
3:10 pm
issue because you have so many candidates staking out a very pure position on medicare for all and anything seen as not truly pled care for all, you're copping out. but i think that the danger here is to act like the aca is perfect. and is in no need of any improvements. i don't think any democrat would say that that's true even democrats that support the aca. i think that while this is effective, i think he should at least allow there to be an opening to say look, the aca was a giant leap in the right direction but here's what i propose to improve upon it. he is talking about a public option. that was always a necessary piece of the puzzle because it would keep costs down. that's one of the major problems with the current law. >> one of the other things about this comes back to where people think they are. barack obama really did see himself as a bridge builder and essentially a center left figure although the iraq war bun issued him in a way with the base and
3:11 pm
other people had ideas about him. there were people who thought he would be more progressive than he was for various reasons which don't you tell you who someone is, what's inside if you want to go back to kindergartener. >> and does biden think he's more liberal than he is in today's party? you the both referred to him defacto as a moderate. i'm not sure given his history and some of the votes he took back in the day, he's got a long record that's mixed, i'm not sure he thinks he's a moderate. >> he doesn't. i'm friends with a black guy, that makes me a liberal. what's strange to me about joe biden's lack of awareness about himself, why do you think barack obama picked you? it's because you were the moderate. he needed the old white guy to talk to people in the senate who the wouldn't talk to him. joe biden doesn't realize who he is. >> who he is today. >> but everybody wants to project something on him. barack obama's best friend, uncle joe, the guy with the trans am on the front porch. if he can still maintain this
3:12 pm
image of i'm everything you want to be in addition to how i imagined myself in my head, he can stay the front runner. >> the party is more diverse and more inclusive. there are people in positions of power that are representative and who look like, the attacks on the squad are instructive because the democrats need to vote for them in order to win look like the squad that's why that fight was instructive because you need somebody who can stand up for people who look like you. and if you can't stand up for the squad, you're not going to run for president and stand up for me. >> i would say it's more than just a party. the whole population changed. geo-joe biden's strength has historically been foreign policy. we're not here to relitigate the obama presidency. it was a missed opportunity and the democrats are trying to seize on that and create new opportunities where we can ultimately get to the society we want to get to. >> i've got to take a break. we have a candidate on tonight. jason, derek and zerlina thank
3:13 pm
you so much. zerlina will be part of our coverage of post debate night later on. the inside story of this moscow mitch nickname and why is it rattling mcconnell. a secret tape not one but two american presidents and the republican party. we'll get into that. it is new and later, as mentioned, marianne williamson is here live on "the beat" and a look at the best debate memes and even some of the punch lines plus a special conversation with a very young 2020 reporter who is blowing up the net. ry young o is blowing up the net. >> i'm trying to help them with their vote. i'm not trying to push them to vote for a specific candidate but to you know educate themselves on the candidates. e but to you know educate themselves on the candidates >> we'll get educated on that and a lot more tonight. i'm ari melber. you're watching "the beat" on msnbc. u're watching "the beat" msnbc. ♪
3:14 pm
let's go! ♪ before discovering nexium 24hr to treat her frequent heartburn, marie could only imagine enjoying freshly squeezed orange juice. now no fruit is forbidden. nexium 24hr stops acid before it starts for all-day, all-night protection. can you imagine 24 hours without heartburn? for all-day, all-night protection. if you have moderate to thsevere rheumatoid arthritis, month after month, the clock is ticking on irreversible joint damage. ongoing pain and stiffness are signs of joint erosion. humira can help stop the clock. prescribed for 15 years, humira targets and blocks a source of inflammation that contributes to joint pain and irreversible damage. humira can lower your ability to fight infections.
3:15 pm
serious and sometimes fatal infections including tuberculosis, and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened; as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. help stop the clock on further irreversible joint damage. talk to your rheumatologist. right here. right now. humira. but dad, you've got allstate. with accident forgiveness they guarantee your rates won't go up just because of an accident. smart kid. indeed. are you in good hands? {tires screeching} {truck honking} [alarm beeping] (avo) life doesn't give you many second chances.
3:16 pm
but a subaru can. (dad) you guys ok? you alright? wow. (avo) eyesight with pre-collision braking. standard on the subaru ascent. the three-row subaru ascent. love. it's what makes a subaru a subaru. here, hello! starts with -hi!mple... how can i help? a data plan for everyone. everyone? everyone. let's send to everyone! [ camera clicking ] wifi up there? -ahhh. sure, why not? how'd he get out?! a camera might figure it out. that was easy! glad i could help. at xfinity, we're here to make life simple. easy. awesome. so come ask, shop, discover at your xfinity store today.
3:17 pm
many members are escalating confrontations with donald trump tonight with the nut dems. when republicans ran the house in 2017, about 30% of dems voted to impeach. when that same bill cam back to the floor last month, the number jumped to about 40% of democrats.
3:18 pm
with new democrats endorsing impeachment tonight, the figure has jumped for the first time to 49%. or 114 democrats. what you're looking at may be a new center of gravity for a caucus that has largely stopped short of advocating impeaching trump. the house shift is part of the context for new pressure on the top republican in the senate right now, mitch mcconnell blocking a series of election security bills despite warningsings from u.s. intelligence that russia is still at it. some dubbed him moscow mitch running bill boards in his home state of kentucky, plus images this one going viral on social media imagining him in a russian military uniform. mcconnell has taken to the floor to protest that kind of politicking stretching his past opposition to putin and arguing this is red scare tactics against him. meanwhile, there's reporting he
3:19 pm
is genuinely fuming about all this. >> for the first time in my memory, i agree with nancy pelosi. i am indeed the grim reaper. >> the accusation that i am quote un-american was broadcast on msbc. i don't normally take the time to respond to critics in the media. this modern day mccarthy yich is toxim. >> richard blumenthal's election security bill would require campaigns to report any offers of foreign assistance, one of the proposals blocked by mcconnell and malcolm nancy from the u.s. military. good evening to both of you. >> good evening, thanks for having me. >> senator, let's get to the bill. but first, i got to ask, does the senator have a point in his criticism as he mentioned the media, he mentioned msnbc, he mention what had he views as mccarthyism. is any of this out of bounds in your view or no. >> the plain fact is we have no idea why mitch mcconnell has
3:20 pm
made it his unrelenting business to block these measures three times i've gone to the floor for the duty to report act which requires any campaign, any family member, any candidate to report illegal offers of foreign assistance or acceptance of them because donald trump has said i take it. his son said during the campaign, i love it. and the reason why is he blocking these measures is simply has no explanation. maybe it relates to the fact we're seeking greater access to the ballot box for ordinary americans or ending the impact of big business on those elections. but the simple fact is, that he takes pride in being called the grim reaper. not so much moscow mitch. >> malcolm? >> well, when joe scarborough named him moscow mitch, he made quite an argument that mitch mcconnell's behaviors were in support almost direct support of the strategic objectives
3:21 pm
outlined in the mueller report about russia's attack on the united states and damage to its electoral process. no other person has ever stood for a foreign power tore intervene in our elections. and now we find out that in august of 2016, mitch mcconnell was the one that harry reid was talking about when he said that there was opposition to naming names as to who was actively attacking the united states. three years on, almost to the month, we need to understand whose interest does he work for. does he work for the people of the united states? problem it. defend this nation with your oath of office by giving us the election security we have. otherwise, that nome de gere is going to stick with it. >> we look at what we learned
3:22 pm
from the mueller report and the senate investigations which has to do with whether as mueller said ongoing and where it is. i want to put up something that is pretty straightforward. here's a map of the united states and here are the states thought have been targeted by russia according to senate report. eagle eyed viewers will note every state is red because every single state was targeted. what does that tell us? >> what that map tells us is that this effort is ongoing and as robert mueller said it's ongoing by quoeting him, many other nations. there was a report last week about the iranians conducting a disinformation campaign. so it's not just moscow. it's other foreign governments that want to interfere in our election. and it is perhaps one of the greatest threats to our current national security, our nation is under attack. and yet, the republicans are
3:23 pm
blocking common sense measures. they're a matter of simple morality and patriotism. common sense is a term overused in this city that displays common senseless often than it should. but these matters ought to be bipartisan and they would be bipartisan but for the republican leadership. >> let me press you. part of what we're discussing here is the nature of the attacks on mitch mcconnell which as reported got his attention but which are impugning him. it was liberals who efforts to tie them to the red scare, to tar them and all these type of things. you're talking about why he opposes it. i want to give senator mcconnell's view some air time. he cites several reasons and this is from reporting a long-standing resistance to federal control over state elections, right? which is something many republicans talked about pretrump, newly enacted security improvements shown to have worked in 2018.
3:24 pm
he's suspicious that democrats, i guess this would be you, sir are, trying to gain a partisan advantage through these proposals. so taking him seriously, what is your response to that? that's not just the trumpian thing of can't talk about russian meddling because it undermines trump. he's saying he and kentucky have had a long skepticism of manufacture election meddling in election. your response. >> point by point. first of all, no federal control would result from these measures. certainly not from my duty to report act. not from providing funding for election security. states would continue to control their own elections. not from the setting auditing or cyber security standards. not from requiring paper ballots which most states now have, and the states themselves, contrary to what mitch mcconnell said are asking for this additional funding that we want to provide yes, $380 million has been provided but a lot more is
3:25 pm
necessary. and a lot more certificate absolutely a matter of national security. finally, as for the partisan advantage, these measures would be bipartisan. if mitch mcconnell allowed them to be. he needs to lead or get out of the way. >> you want him to come to the table. malcolm, what's the most important thing you're watching for as people wonder, if mueller said it, are we at risk. >> the thing i'm watching for senior what senator blumenthal said. he needs to show some leadership. let me give him advice as an old navy chief. get up do your job. it is not partisan to defend the flag. it is not partisan to defend the account constitution. what is it going to take for him to understand that this is critical. will it take the iranians to hack votes against him in the next electioning? and make him lose his positioning? that is possible. the north cranes can do it, the
3:26 pm
russians can do it, anyone can attack us and leaving us defenseless is just malpractice of the worst sort. >> senator, malcolm, thanks to both off you. important topic. a 1971 tape of reagan and nixon exchanging blatant lit racist remarks with a lot of context when we're back in 30 seconds. when we're back in 30 seconds. . nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪ now we turn to new information in context for president trump's race-baiting
3:27 pm
rhetoric and discriminatory policies. donald trump has been rebuked as racist by the u.s. house. he's been called out by civil rights leaders across is the nation recently and his new approach is to blame everyone else. >> i think the word has really gone down a long way because everybody's called a racist now. i'm the least racist person there is in the world. >> critics note trump uses that exact line as a taunt. he doesn't appear to believe it or expect most others to given that he entered politics pushing the birth err conspiracy, ran for the presidency on a ban that was so discriminatory his own lawyers claimed he never tried to enact it and now these attacks with minority members. of congress. as a political project, trump's figured out how to you appeal to some americans' desire to go back in time. hence the plagiarized reagan slogan" make america great again
3:28 pm
and the echoes of nixon's appeals to law and order. there are those hose argue that trump has corrupted those otherwise acceptable types of appeals that those words could mean something different in trump's hands. that's what he makes this newly released audio recording from the nixon presidential library so relevant right now. with what america is going through right now. as you are about to hear, this is repugnant racist language deployed by former top american officials. recording is from 19 1. then governor reagan called presidentnismon who was opposed at the time that the u.n. had just recognized the people's republic of china, a complex piece of history. in this call, when the two believed they were speaking privately, you have reagan blaming the african delegations in very particular language. this is all newly released historical material.
3:29 pm
it is in the news but first a warning. it is deeply offensive. so keep that in mind if you choose to keep the sound on. last night, i tell you to watch that thing on television as i did. >> yeah. >> to see those those monkeys from those african countries damn them, they're still uncomfortable wearing shoes. >> and then they, the tail wags the dog there doesn't it? >> yeah. >> tail wags the dog. >> yeah, president nixon laughingly appeared to agree with reagan's stats not all objecting to the language and then placing a call to secretary of state william rogers is basically invoking rag gran gan's depiction for a conversation about policy within the nixon administration. >> i for example, just had a called from reagan, california, and he's been out there and so forth and as you can imagine, there's strong feeling that we
3:30 pm
just shouldn't -- because he said he saw these cannibals on television last night and he says, they weren't even wearing shoes and he says here the united states is going to submit his fate to that and so forth and so on. but that's typical of a reaction which is probably quite strong. >> this is new from history. what people say can be revealing. especially when they don't think it will get out. what they do can be revealing given account civil rights record of that same nixon administration and how reagan would campaign. what did make america great mean? then? what does it mean now? the politics of the southern strategy, the attacks on welfare queens by reagan, the fixation on law and order by nixon, law and order by a president who was found by his own party among others to be committing high crimes in office. so it's not all just history.
3:31 pm
it is the foundation of discrimination and racism and the politics of hate that has long stained america. be wary of anyone who wants to deny history or facts because we need a firm grasp of both to overcome so many of our nation's mistakes. we have a lot more to come tonight, including all kinds of highlights and some of the low lights from these big debates and what mike stick in voters' minds. >> you don't know that. >> second of all, i do know it. i wrote the damn bill. >> and many saying marianne williamson had a breakout night at the debate. the most searched name on google across the poohflation. she's right here live on "the beat" next. oohflation she's right here live onth "e beat" next if you have moderate to severe psoriasis, little things can be a big deal. that's why there's otezla. otezla is not a cream. it's a pill that treats plaque psoriasis differently. with otezla, 75% clearer skin is achievable.
3:32 pm
don't use if you're allergic to otezla. it may cause severe diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. otezla is associated with an increased risk of depression. tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or suicidal thoughts or if these feelings develop. some people taking otezla reported weight loss. your doctor should monitor your weight and may stop treatment. upper respiratory tract infection and headache may occur. tell your doctor about your medicines, and if you're pregnant or planning to be. otezla. show more of you. ♪ so, every day, we put our latest technology and unrivaled network to work. the united states postal service makes more e-commerce deliveries to homes than anyone else in the country. e-commerce deliveries to homes liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, hmm. exactly. so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪
3:33 pm
do you want ready to wear clothing without all the hassle? you can, with bounce dryer sheets. we dried one shirt without bounce, and an identical shirt using bounce. the bounce shirt has fewer wrinkles, less static, and more softness and freshness. bounce out wrinkles, bounce out static. ♪ applebee's all you can eat is back. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. (groans) hmph... (food grunting menacingly) when the food you love doesn't love you back, stay smooth and fight heartburn fast with tums smoothies. ♪ tum tum-tum tum tums
3:34 pm
we have communities particularly communities of color and disadvantaged
3:35 pm
communities all over this country who are suffering from environmental injustice. i assure you i lived in grosse point. what happened in flint would not have happened in grosse point. this is part of the dark underbelly of american society. >> 2020 candidate marianne williamson getting cheers and applause you heard in detroit has a lot of folks thinking about her today. some calling her the breakout winner and the standout performance. trending on twitter and the most searched democratic candidate on google in fact, look at the map if you want to win this country. she was the most searched name in 49 states thanks to last night's performance. there were many passionate answers including this moment on preparations. >> what makes me qualified to say $200 billion to $500 billion? if you did the math of the 40 acres and a mule given that there was 4 million to 5 million slaves atted the end of the civil war and they were promised
3:36 pm
40 acres and a mule for a family of four, if you did the math today, it would be trillions of dollars. >> thanks for coming back. >> thank you so much for having me, ari. >> of course. what do you think you got across last night? >> well, i hope i got across a more meaningful discussion ask of race. you have such a short period of time. but i hope with the answers that i gave about race, about flint, about health, about the environment, and about politics in general, that i think was a larger theme which is that we have to go deeper than just talking about external fixes. we have to have a politics that speaks to more than just watering the leaves. we have to water the roots. i think the theme came through. >> you mentioned roots. you're clearly tapping when we mentioned folks searching. they're watching and looking for more. that suggests depth as you say longer than the short answers these debates require. and with that in mind, i want to play one of your other answers
3:37 pm
last night where you talked beyond just what many democrats see as the crisis of trumpism and about what's really going on. take a look. >> racism bigotry and the entire conversation that we're having here tonight, if you think any of this wonkiness is going to deal with this dark psych source of the collecty advise the hatred this president is bringing up in this country, then i'm afraid the democrats are going to see very dark days. eswe need to say it like it is, it's bigger than plint. it's all over the country. it's particularly people who do not have the money to fight back. if the democrats don't start saying if why would those people people vote for us. >> how do you define that collectivized hatred as you put it. >> we have a serious problem on our hands. you take racism and bigotry and homophobia and xen know phobia anise lam phobia all those worst aspects of human character, you
3:38 pm
put them all together in a collective field and social media and then you have a president of the united states who is not above harnessing all those things for political purposes, you have a problem on your hands. that brob cannot be defived in strictly political terms. this man, our president is a nom nonand an insider politics game will not be able to defeat that. we need to create a politics which is a phenomenon of equal strength and power. and that will only come from a deeper conversation, a deeper level of truth telling, a willingness for america to get real about telephone self in a way that the current political establishment is not used to doing. >> you say all that. there is that depth. you're what many would call an untraditional candidate. you want to be president. there's questions what you believe in your policies. let me play something that you said that's gotten some real criticism about depression. take a listen. >> i've lived two periods of time that by any by any means
3:39 pm
today would be called clinical depression. even that's a scam. all that means is somebody in a clinic said it. >> should people take from that that you don't believe there is real clinical depression and how would you approach what doctors and science says is depression as part of mental health treatment if you were president? >> yes, that clip that you just showed was a podcast i did with russell brand. maybe i was trying to impress russell brand. i was speaking glibly. i was not a candidate yet. when i said that of itself is such a scam, that was wrong of me to say. i'm sorry that i said it. there is such a thing as serious serious depression for which i'm sure that psychotherapeutic drugs are helpful and life saving. i believe that about bipolar and schizophrenia. however, what i have talked about and written about and stand behind is the idea that there has been a medicalization you have what has traditionally been considered a spectrum of normal human despair. and about that, i feel that
3:40 pm
there is a very legitimate conversation in this country when you see you know, just the idea as i've said it before, a divorce, a heart break because somebody that you know left or died or you went through a financial hardship or breakup or you're in your 20s. these things are difficult but not mental illness. the idea of turning everything that is a sad day into a reason for such a quick jump and a knee jerk jump that is often played today to the question of pharmaceuticals, that is a very legitimate question. we're living at a time when attorney generals all over this country are indicting big pharmaceutical executives for their role in the opioid crisis. predatory pharma is a serious serious issue. it is a legitimate thing to talk about in our country. and i don't understand why anyone would think that now given everything we know about the role of big pharmaceutical executives in the opioid crisis,
3:41 pm
why should we just assume in every other area they're a paragon of virtue and pure intent and concerned for common good. if you add to that the lack of regulatory oversight that i think most americans assume on the part of the fda, 75% of the review process for drugs in our country is done by big pharma. so i think that the average american is coming to realize that the role of our regulatory agencies in many areas not only having to do with big pharma and the environment, when you look at something like the epa overturning the ban on the sale of pesticides that we know harm a child's brain because of our current head of the epa or the one before that, whether it was the chemical executive, the oil company executive met in a houston hotel room with dow chemical executives, i would think america would go want a presidents who looks into these things deeply. >> you laid out a detailed answer and you apologized for
3:42 pm
the wording there. i interviewed candidates. i can tell you that's a little different than what we hear from certain candidates. i guess to press new the follow-up and to be have this conversation in the depth that it warrants one of the questions is one that's often posed sometimes about republicans knocking, for example, climate science which is these are your views. where do you come down on how get your cues from on medicine or science. in a related issue, there was this is question on vaccinations. you just mentioned the well-being of children and pesticides. you had cast skepticism on vaccinations. i wonder if you could better explain where you come down on that given the science and concern that vaccinations do work and people need them to keep these communities safe. >> well, once again, it's an overstatement to say that i cast skepticism on vaccinations. on the issue of vaccinations i'm pro vaccination. i'm pro medicine and pro science. on all of these issues what i'm bringing up that is very legitimate and should not be
3:43 pm
derided or marginalized in a free-throw society is questions about the role of predatory big pharma. >> i'm going to jump in and let you respond. just so my viewers are keeping up with us, i'll read a little bit of what you said since you're talking about the depiction. the quote here was "it's no different than the abortion debate. the u.s. government doesn't tell a citizen in my book what they have to do with their body or chair child. vac even man the date were in your view at the time draconian or orwellian." i hand it back to you. >> the sish of draconian or orwellian. this is the issue, when i was a child we took far fewer vaccines. there was much less bundling and much less chronic illness. i don't know why, this is not a topic that i have consciously chosen, this is not a big topic for me. >> do you think vaccinations are contributing to things being worse now? is that what you're suggesting?
3:44 pm
>> no, what i'm saying is that in 1986, there was this vaccine protection law. there was and there have been $4 billion in vaccine compensation payments that have been made. there was much less chronic, something like 12% chronic illness among our children previous to that law and there's 54% now. i don't see why in a free society you know, what is going on here? when you look at the fact that big pharmaceutical companies lobby congress to the tune of $284 million last year alone as opposed to oil and gas which has lobbied congress to the tune of $125 million last year, when you look at all the money spent by pharmaceutical companies even on our news channels, when loo you look at the fact there are two pharmaceutical lobbyists for every member of congress and when you look at the tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars paid into the coffers of even presidential candidates, why are we -- why are we so okay with the complete shut down of any
3:45 pm
conversation about this topicing? once again, i would think that the american people. >> i would argue, it's not that we're shutting down the topic but engaging it as we do. >> i hear that. thank you. i wasn't saying that you were shutting it down. >> i appreciate you on that. is the science and the medicine in a potential administration of yours going to be guided by the surgeon general by doctors, et cetera, or is it -- >> i'll tell you who. i'm pro -- i want more scientific, more scientific research. i want more scientific research that is not paid for by big pharma. in a williamson administration, there will be more scientific review, more signs. what has been happening and you can see this with this president is about cutting money to the fda like he wants to cut money to the centers for disease control and to the national institute of health, what i want is more scientific review. i want less scientific review paid for by big pharma.
3:46 pm
>> my last question just so we're clear, your view of federal or state government vaccination requirements is they are valid or you may oppose them? >> there are -- there are with any medical intervention, there are benefits and risks. the government always has to come down onside of the public good. absolutely. i was vaccinated. my daughter was vaccinated. of course, i am. i just want to know when it comes to review of our drugs and all issues related to drugs, just as we have to learn what is happening in the opioid crisis, i want independent regulation conducted by the government not paid for big pharma. >> marianne williamson, you appreciate you comings back on "the beat." many people thought you had a big night last night. i appreciate your time. >> thank you so much. >> thank you. >> when we come back, we have a lot more including the must see debate moments and the ones that
3:47 pm
went viral. plus a preview for tonight. onet went viral plus a preview for tonight ance, so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪
3:48 pm
(groans) hmph... (food grunting menacingly) when the food you love doesn't love you back, stay smooth and fight heartburn fast with tums smoothies. ♪ tum tum-tum tum tums
3:49 pm
(pirate girl) ahoy!!!!! gotcha! (girl) nooooooooooooo! (man) nooooo! (vo) quick, the quicker picker upper! bounty picks up messes quicker, and is two times more absorbent. bounty, the quicker picker upper. i used to book my hotel room on those traalways a catch.here was like somehow you wind up getting less. but now that i book at hilton.com, and i get all these great perks. i got to select my room from the floor plan... ic.. i know, i'm good at picking stuff. free wi-fi... laptop by the pool is a bold choice... and the price match guarantee. how do you know all of this? are you like some magical hilton fairy? it's just here on the hilton app. just available to the public, so... book at hilton.com and get the hilton price match guarantee. if you find a lower rate, we match it and give you
3:50 pm
25% off that stay. ♪ how do you like it, ♪ how do you like it ♪ ♪ more, more, more ♪ how do you like it, how do you like it ♪ all you can eat is back. how do you like that? applebee's. now that's eatin' good in the neighborhood. my car insurance, so i only pay for what i need. and this is me now! any physical changes to this man's appearance are purely coincidental. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪ that'smr. arson here only knows how to blow sh... up.. no offense, she hulk here only knows how to smash. [ screaming ] look at the two of you. the fate of the world is in your hands and you can't even get along. what do you think i'm stupid? of course i think you're stupid. woo! i got him. no i got him. no i got him.
3:51 pm
you know what it is. we have your must-see debate moments. the good, the bad and even the memed. i am joined now by comedian and friend of "the beat" chuck nice, and former "the apprentice" contestant tara dowdell. nice to see you both. >> good to be here. >> let's get right to it. sanders/ryan clashing.
3:52 pm
>> medicare for all is comprehensive. it covers all health care needs for senior citizens. it will finally include dental care, hearing aids and eyeglasses. second of all -- >> but you don't know that, bernie. >> i do know when i wrote the damn bill. >> you got to love it. let me just say this. one, it's nice to see that senator sanders is writing legislation for himself, and two -- >> you think he had help? >> no, i'm just saying, dental, glasses and hearing aids. >> oh, i get it. just saying. just saying. >> ba-da bump bump. >> the other thing, what is it with bernie where everything, i don't care what he says, no matter how important it is it sounds like you kids, go play where you live. >> you're getting that vibe from him? >> it's like he is telling them off. >> politically, does it help when they snap back like that, do you think? >> i think for bernie because he is always yelling.
3:53 pm
he brings that fire. that's that get off my lawn fire. >> mo fire. >> get off my lawn fire. look, i think it was a good moment for him. the audience responded well. it was immediate and organic reaction from the audience, and it was telling. >> if this is your brand or your vibe you don't fight it. you lean into it. maybe that's part of the next thing we're going show you. sanders also getting testy with john hickenlooper. >> i think if you're going to force americans to make these radical changes, they're not going to go along. throw your hands up. >> i will. >> that was very real. >> that was real. >> you can't coach a candidate to do that in the moment, right? >> no, exactly. that was somebody just cut me off on the l.i.e., you know what i mean? >> some people, chuck, are saying it was bernie's outkast
3:54 pm
moment. >> oh really? >> throw your hands in the air. >> ba-da bump bump. >> here is the meme. for folks at home who don't want to go on the internet we got it for you this. is what the internet is doing. it's replaying the moment. >> bernie was ready. he was ready last night. my favorite thing about bernie was he was literally going after jake tapper too. in the first part of the debate, he was debating jake tapper. >> this is where the jokes meet the politics. historically, republican debates tend to pick on the media more. here you saw, as you just said, sanders and warren, when pressed on things where they said well, we mentioned this earlier in our politics blog, not at our fun block, oh, if you can afford wars and everything else, why are liberal dems being told it's only their stuff you can't afford? >> see, this is what democrats are getting much better at. do not argue within the frame of the republican party. >> right. >> that is republican party framing. and both elizabeth warren and
3:55 pm
bernie sanders and some of the other democrats too were ready for it and they were arguing their point and framing the conversation themselves. and that's the right thing to do. you don't win arguing within your opponent's frame. >> right. because that's set up against you. >> right. >> the other moment i want to look at viral, also viral, big theme, elizabeth warren, john delaney. it's not so much what she says, it's what she does. >> congressman delaney, i'm coming to you now. your estimated net worth is more than $65 million. that would make you subject to senator warren's proposed wealth tax on the assets of the richest 75,000 homes, households or so in the united states. >> going viral here. because people notice, that's what they call a gif. some people call it a gif. >> the birdman. >> she was licking her chops. >> put some respect on my name. but put some zeros in my tax
3:56 pm
plan. >> right, exactly. >> your two cents. i'm about to take your two cents, not give you my two cents. that's what she is saying. >> you're here as a performer, and this a performance. how much do you see performers' techniques where she does that because she knows it's going to play better than a long speech? >> i think that was a genuine moment, like yo, this is about to go down. this is good. i'm feeling this. i really do. i don't think she did that for the camera. >> so i said this. if you're going into a debate, be ready to be attacked. be ready to be attacked on all fronts. so i think that the candidates took that lesson from what happened to joe biden. and so i think people were ready. they were ready to defend their positions. with know what the attacks are. if you're elizabeth warren, you know what the attacks are. they're going to come for you, your opponents, the republicans are going to come for you around health care. most of these candidates know where the attacks are coming from, so they all should be doing this. >> exactly. let me show you a little bit.
3:57 pm
>> stay ready. >> stay ready. what some of your fellow brethren, the late night comedians made of all. this. >> it's hard to sum up what happened tonight, but most of it was a bunch of guys with no chance to win the democratic nomination yelling republican talking points at the people who can. >> instead of jumping straight into the debates, cnn started with a long fight night promo, right? and then an endless stream of all the democratic candidates shaking hands with each other which took forever because there are like 50 people on the stage. >> ultimately, this was a deeply substantive debate that showcased genuine differences among the candidates on key policy questions. and no matter what you think of any of them, eventually one of them is going to go up against a guy whose campaign slogan is basically -- >> i know nothing! [ laughter ] >> that was the best one of them all. >> was it too much handshaking? >> yes, it was, without a doubt. that's like wu tang shaking
3:58 pm
hands before a concert. >> the segment is not even over. [ laughter ] >> i want to give a shout out to something really great. so often in the news, we're dealing with conflicts. we're dealing with politics. we're dealing with division. i got to meet through the television last night a young reporter, jaden, who just got this exclusive, which he bragged about a little bit, and well earned with senator warren, and he is doing all this reporting online. he is out pounding the pavement. his name is jaden. he is 11 years old. here's how he recapped the night last night. >> i would definitely say from what i've seen i can tell that elizabeth warren and bernie sanders, they kind of had a friendship today, and many people were hinting at that, that they do have a friendship, but they're still competitors. candidates like elizabeth warren, who also made a lot of great points today, you know, and really trying to get out
3:59 pm
there to the people and bernie sanders, i would definitely say those two are the people that were really trying to reach to the american people. >> bernie and liz, sitting in a tree. i like it. >> jaden jefferson, 11 years old? does it give you hope? >> oh, tons of hope. what an inspiring young man. he was amazing. i watched the interview last night. i thought he was super. >> you saw live. >> yes. >> i know i'm putting you on the spot, but he really was something. >> you were asking him questions the way you would ask a colleague questions that is your age. and he handled the questions with aplomb. he was amazing. >> he was okay. >> chuck's jealous. hater! hater. >> i was speaking to someone before i got on set today. it wasn't like 11 going on 20, but 11 going on 30, like research. >> impressive guy. >> and wasn't it drake -- >> take notes chuck. >> take notes. take notes. wasn't it drake who said tell these kids to keep dreamin because they sure do come true. >> nice.
4:00 pm
>> ending on a hopeful note. want me to shake your hand again? >> you know what? i'll take that. >> now we really are going to go, because it's time for "hardball." thanks for watching "the beat" tonight. thanks to chuck and tara dowdell. brian williams takes over after that. but don't go anywhere because "hardball" starts now. rematch. let's play "hardball." >> good evening. i'm chris matthews out in detroit again. well, the candidates will take the stage in the next hour for round two of the second democratic debate here, and all eyes will be on center stage, of course, as front-runner, former vice president joe biden gets a rematch for senator kamala harris. whether he wants one or not. biden has said he plans to be less polite in tonight's debate.

386 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on