Skip to main content

tv   MSNBC Live With Ali Velshi  MSNBC  September 4, 2019 12:00pm-1:00pm PDT

12:00 pm
for this hour. morgan picks things up on a very busy day. >> thanks so much, chris. it is wednesday, september 4th. i'm in this afternoon for ali velshi. a triple threat faces georgia, the carolinas and virginia according to the latest accessoadvisory from the national hurricane center. dorian expected to unleash storm surges as it moves dangerously close to the shore thrashes parts of florida's coastline. the carolinas have already had mass evacuations in preparation for that storm while south carolina braces for the region's worst flooding in 30 years. we're also getting a first look at just how devastating this storm has been for the bahamas. dorian pummelled the island for 48 hours. many parts of the island remain inaccessible. but from the footage we can see, miles and miles of decimated
12:01 pm
areas, some totally submerged under water and the land reshaped. we know that at least seven people were killed there where officials are just beginning their survey of the destruction. the damage is overwhelming. >> what does it mean to be hugging your relatives here? >> everything. a lot of people can't do that. and a lot of them lost their family. >> tell me about your family. what does it mean to you? >> everything. i'm happy to be alive. that's it. i'm just happy that they made it and they didn't lose their lives like so much other people. we need help. we need help. that's all i can say. >> so let's start now with the latest advisory on dorian's track. we have mr. al roker. what can we expect? >> we got a look right now not only do we have to worry about heavy rain and storm surge and winds, but also, morgan, we see in these kinds of situations,
12:02 pm
tornados firing up sometimes. let's take a look. we got right now the risk of severe weather from meritle beach. now, let's get to the actual activity. we are actually seeing tropical force winds in savannah, jacksonville, and still down in melbourne even though the eye of the storm is almost parallel with jacksonville. 105-mile-per-hour winds and it's moving north, northwest at 9 miles per hour. hurricane warnings are still up from melbourne. we've got tropical storm warning inland from -- north of melbourne through jacksonville, up all the way to the north carolina/virginia border and we've got tropical storm watches into eastern parts of virginia and also the peninsula.
12:03 pm
here's the track from the national hurricane center. by thursday morning, it passes by charleston. and then out into the ocean. what we're looking at, the european model now has shifted a little further offshore, but brings in a possible landfall, south of wilmington and another one somewhere near cape hatteras. all of these areas are going to be looking at real impacts. we start with jacksonville. 30 to 60-mile-per-hour winds. a storm surge of 3 to 5 feet. the tropical-storm-force winds extend out 175 miles out from the center. tomorrow charleston is under the gun, 8 to 15 inches of rainfall and then we move into friday. wilmington, 55 to 85-mile-per-hour winds, 4 to 7 feet storm surge, rainfall 6 to 15 inches.
12:04 pm
that is pretty incredible. the storm surge potential tonight is around midnight to 1:00 a.m. as far as high tides. and then storm surge onto of that, from jacksonville, up to charleston, and cape hatteras. the rainfall anywhere from five to ten inches of rain but we can't rule out up to 15 inches. and the other big problem, power outages. you're looking at more palm trees from jacksonville down to west palm beach. but you get to the georgia border, south carolina, north carolina, leafier greens and trees. those are now still -- fall hasn't happened. they still have leaves. we've got the extensive possibilities of power outages, along the coast. but the real deal, morgan, is
12:05 pm
we're talking about storm surge, heavy rain, and winds so from -- the north coast of florida, the coast of georgia, all the way up through the carolinas and now virginia all have to worry about these damages. even though it's a category two, don't worry about the category. >> why is it moving so slowly. >> until we see this -- that ridge really break down and it's allowed to get caught up by this trough of low pressure that's to the north. it's moving slowly, still faster than it was over the bahamas. in fact, this storm is on record as being the slowest major hurricane in the atlantic in a 24-hour period. it sat over the bahamas for 51
12:06 pm
hours, 41 of it over those northwestern islands. we've had satellite images of upwards of 60 inches of rain falling on those islands. that's why you saw the devastation you saw. here it's a category two, but you can have catastrophic damage with those storms. these acan still do tremendous damage. we're not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. >> one of our brightest minds. thank you so much. appreciate you being with us today. and joining me on the phone from nassau, bahamas, the director general of the bahamas ministry of tourism and aviation. i want to thank you so much for being with us by phone this afternoon. and just to start us off, what
12:07 pm
is the status of the island? what's operating and not working? >> good afternoon, morgan. and thank you, once again, for having us on your show, to allow us to let the world know what is happening in the northwestern region of the bahamas. as you said, i am in nassau, the capitol and it's business as usual. although on everyone's mind is the devastation that occurred in abaco and grand bahama. and i think al roker said it, he said it in ways that we didn't even know. 51 hours for hurricane dorian to sit over the bahamas, that explains so much and that explains the level of devastation, destruction and just the way those islands for most parts been wiped out. >> give me a sense, are you getting what you need? how is the coordination with the u.s. government been, for
12:08 pm
example? >> okay. so this is almost a two-part story in that abaco was the first island that was hit. of course they went through 24 hours of what they would probably call hell. but they emerged and so we were able to get stories out. we've been able to get rescue, missions out to them and begin to offer the level of assistance that they require. but grand bahama, the storm left them yesterday evening. and so today it's the first that people have been able to get into grand bahama, to tell stories or relay stories back to us and the rest of the world. although we were seeing images throughout the hurricane. but in terms of partners, this is an opportunity just to say thank you to the caribbean, to our partners to the north, the united states, the support the people of the united states and the government have lent through
12:09 pm
the u.s. coast guard, by allowing us the use of their helicopters and going and doing rescuing -- rescue missions. it has been monumental. and of course they have people on the ground. all of this is helping us because it still is so soon and we're trying to regroup, we're trying to figure out. we're trying to get through it and everything and everyone is helping. >> joy, i'm so heartened to hear you say that because of course our hearts go out to you. give us a sense, a forecast, of your own, if you will, so many of our reporters have been there on the ground. they're talking to residents, business owners, how devastating is this going to be for your island's economy? >> morgan, such a great question. it centers around the fact that tourism is the number one industry for the bahamas. in fact, it accounts for
12:10 pm
probably just under 60% of our total gdp. and when we look at abaco and grand bahama, those are our second and third largest tourism centers as well as population centers. so in terms of visitor arrivals, grand bahama is -- sorry, abaco, especially, it was a dream. talk about sheer physical beauty, a boaters' paradise because of all of the keys. for those two islands to be pretty much out of operation for the foreseeable future, it will have an impact. but if you would allow me to balance that with the fact that nassau is open, paradise island, which is our main -- the capital of the country, our main tourism destination. those islands are open.
12:11 pm
people are asking how can they help. and we're asking people, please don't cancel your vacations if you're visiting one of those islands. because you're contributing to the economy and you're enabling us to help ourselves as well and help our fellow bahamians. this is going to have a big impact on people's lives, livelihoods, and on our economy generally. >> i understand just how important that tourism is to the caribbean economy. thank you so much for being with us. we really appreciate your time and our thoughts, our prayers, our hearts are with you and your people. also on the ground in nassau is msnbc, we've been following residents there throughout the day. i've been watching you on television all day. you've been talking to residents who are detailing things, they're talking about the trauma, the devastation. how are those recovery operations going today?
12:12 pm
>> morgan, according to most people i have spoken to here at the heart, the center of the relief effort, the relief is not coming fast enough. many people here, over a dozen here on my right-hand side, waiting for their family members to come in for their friends, for their neighbors, this is an extremely complex relief effort because as we heard from the prime minister, the airport in abaco island is practically under water. i was in touch with the folks here, the communications people which is where this relief effort is taking place and they told me that only two planes can land at a time. that means that people are starting to trickle in here from abaco and the grand bahama and other areas ever so slowly. many of them with broken limbs. we've seen diabetics, patients of dialysis. a woman was placed on one of these buses in a wheelchair with a broken leg.
12:13 pm
it's almost hard to describe and hard not to break down after you hear some of these stories. one woman describing it literally as living hell. and i want to bring in one of the young people that's waiting for her family. come join us today. how long have you been waiting out here? >> since sunday, 2:50 p.m. i've been waiting here. >> you have no news of your mother at all? >> as it stands now, no, i have no news of my mother. only my uncle, aunt and my grandmother. and my sister, she found safety inside of a shelter. >> where is your family? >> my family is spread over abaco, to be exact. as of now, the majority of my family is north abaco which needs much needed attention. you know about your uncles, your aunt, where is your mother? is she in another area?
12:14 pm
>> my mother is in the same area, treasure key, but i'm figuring she went to a church, which is a shelter now. but i haven't heard any news from them. if i can give advice to the coast guard, i would ask them to land -- not land, but to inspect the area around the church, because i know there's a large area where they can land if they check on it. >> i can't imagine what you're feeling just waiting here for every single chopper to land wondering if your mom or aunt or uncle are going to come out of it. >> i am really anticipating great news from the abacos. i understand that everybody is waiting for their family and i am too. but, honestly, it's really devastating to not hear from your mother in four days and it's really taking a toll on me. my family is really spread all over abaco. i have a niece all the way down in the area, and i have my
12:15 pm
center and her husband, my mother and other family is at treasure key and my sister is there as well. if i can give advice, there are very much a lot of areas down in north abaco where the coast guard can land, if they need any advice of where to go, go to the church, look at the area. see if they can land. because the shelter -- they can land in the park. >> the family members that you have been able to speak to, what kinds of conditions are they describing on the ground? >> as of now, all of their homes are gone. literally everything is gone. but they have life so i'm thankleful for that. >> any supplies that they need? >> nobody is saying anything. yesterday i sent some supplies. i'm hoping they get it, though. >> we're hoping they get it too. thank you so much for speaking with us. i know this is a tough time for you and your family.
12:16 pm
morgan, she's just one of -- seeing them from here, it's over a dozen families waiting for their family members to be brought here from abaco, from grand bahama. i've also been in touch with princess margaret hospital here in nassau. 38 medical evacuees have been brought in. you can see why it's challenging to keep them coming fast because the way that the area has been decimated. and i have to say, just from speaking -- especially to the young children here, they're completely traumatized, morgan. the recovery here is going to be complex and it's going to be months in the making as one mother described to me. >> we hope that antonio finds her mother and she gets information. thank you so much for being with us. and just a reminder as you heard joy mention earlier, the bahamas, they're going to need all the help they can get after
12:17 pm
being decimated by hurricane dorian. so just a reminder, you can donate to the red cross, to the salvation army or team rubicon. they deliver food, water and even medical supplies to people who need it. i would like to bring in the deputy administer for the response and recovery at fema. give us a sense there, what recovery efforts are in place for the bahamas. what's the priority there? >> well, as you can see from the imagery that's coming out of -- especially grand bahama and abaco, as well as the stories you heard in the lead-in segment there, truly a devastating scenario unfolding there that will take time both to mount an international response as well as a long road to recovery. the key at the early stages of these types of events is to re-establish communications, to start getting food and water
12:18 pm
moving to where it is going to be needed and as it relates to the u.s. government's responsibility in supporting the bahamas, that work is -- the u.s. agency for development which has deployed a response team to the area. >> and, david, i want to ask you a question about the homeland security department inspector general just released a report, and it showed that their response to hurricanes were hindered by the agency's i.t. system. is that an issue that the agency feels it has under control now for dorian? >> i would say that our i.t. systems get better and better with each passing day. no question we have faced challenges in the past. you know, for 2017 it was a series of three really devastating storms that affected a wide area, never mind the additional disasters we're
12:19 pm
facing in california and in the pacific at the same time. but for today, i think it's really important to not lose sight of the fact that the very dangerous hurricane dorian that remains off of the coast of the united states, we have a mandatory evacuations that are in effect in north carolina, south carolina, and georgia. we have tropical storm warnings still in effect for the eastern coast of florida, georgia. hurricane warnings posted for north carolina and south carolina. it's important that people not become complacent with hurricane dorian. >> thank you so much for your time this afternoon, david. >> thank you. and just moments ago, president trump said that the u.s. coast guard is helping the bahamas by sending numerous helicopters at the request of the bahamian government. >> we didn't have to worry about
12:20 pm
it. we're taking supplies from other places and we're going to be bringing them over to the bahamas where they really need it very badly. that was a very hard hit. we're right at that point right now. but i think georgia is going to be in great shape. everyone is going to be in great shape because we're going to take care of it regardless. >> and while the u.s. mainland braces for impact, the president says he's still comfortable with his voice to divert $150 million from the fema disaster relief fund to address his concerns with the u.s. southern border. the defense secretary signed off on a plan to divert $3.6 billion for military construction funds to pay for fencing along the southern border. that move will impact more than a hundred military construction projects. joining me down to break this down, we have jeff bennett who's live with us now from the white house. we know that the carolinas are bracing for impact of hurricane
12:21 pm
dorian. but does the president have any reservations about his decision to move that disaster relief funding? >> to hear him tell it, no. earlier the president was having a closed briefing from dhs officials, coast guard officials. at some point, the president saw fit to open that meeting up to reporters. so the white house pool of reporters was ushered into the room. the president made a brief statement and he was asked directly whether or not he had any concerns about diverting that fema funding. take a look at how he answered that question. >> well, first of all, we're using much less here than we anticipated. we thought this was going to be a direct -- this was going to be a direct hit into miami and we're -- we would have been satisfied anyway. we need help on the border. >> so to hear the president tell
12:22 pm
it because puerto rico and florida were spared by the storm, he says that money, and we all know that government funding is a finite resource, he says that money is better spent at the border. a point which of course will be debated. >> jeff, thank you so much. up next, an eye-opening report on the disinformation tactics in the 2020 presidential election. some of the social media platforms that you and i use every single day are now ground zero for foul play. plus we will keep tracking hurricane dorian for you. stay tuned. you're watching msnbc. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance,
12:23 pm
so you only pay for what you need. i wish i could shake your hand. granted. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
12:24 pm
12:25 pm
stay tuned. stay tuned. stay tuned
12:26 pm
as the 2020 presidential complain kicks into gear, an issue that hurt the last campaign, could cause problems again. a new report warns that fake videos and other misleading information could once again be used to influence the presidential campaign. the report also lays out steps that social media companies can take to counter the threat and says that russia may not be the only bad actor. joining us now, the report's author, paul, i want to thank you for joining us this afternoon. >> glad to be here. >> the most interesting thing for me out of your report, you talked about how russia was an issue, possibly iran and china. but you also said, reading from
12:27 pm
your report, in 2020, a greater volume of information probably will come from domestic u.s. sources. who are these sources? >> they range from individuals on peripheral sites like 4chan and 8chan where there's a lot of racist activity, all the way up to the president of the united states who uses twitter on many occasions to make pronouncements that turn out to be false. >> it's interesting too the way that they're using and the vehicles they're using for this disinformation campaign because back in 2016, the big warning was against facebook and twitter, but in your report, you're talking about we actually have to look out for instagram and whatsapp. why is -- and they're both owned by facebook. why is that? >> disinformation is increasingly coming in the form of imagery, as opposed to text. and of course that's what instagram is all about. images and video. and to a greater degree than
12:28 pm
most people realize, goim was already implicated in disinformation in 2016. whatsapp is a problem because it's encrypted from start to finish and it was abused terribly in elections in brazil and india. that's why it's a cause for concern here in the united states. >> bring me back to the united states. we were talking about these dark forces, why is that a bigger threat than the international ones? >> it's a question of volume. it's not necessarily a bigger threat. it's a question of where the material comes from. if you actually go online and look at where information that is false is coming from, that's defaming politicians and getting involved with other public issues, much of it comes from within the united states. >> when you say we're doing this to ourselves, what do you mean? >> i mean it's easy to conceive of russians operating from
12:29 pm
aboard and pretending to be americans and issuing divisive material that tells african-americans that the democrats don't care about you so don't bother to vote. from within the united states, you have people who are issuing the same type of voter suppression material saying, for example, the democrats vote on wednesday this year, not on tuesday. again, trying to discourage people from going to the polls. >> which is malicious and incredibly dangerous for our democracy. one last question for you, have you actually seen the social media companies make changes and if so, how would you rate them? >> they are making changes. they are removing suspect accounts in great numbers. but the problem is, is that that activity shows just ouch there is out there in the first place. so it's a huge problem, the social media companies have made some progress, but we're urging them to make even more. >> all right, paul, we appreciate you joining us. and we continue to keep a
12:30 pm
close watch on hurricane dorian as it slowly makes its way north along the east coast. the latest advisory shows it is headed straight for the carolinas. just earlier, the mayor of charleston, south carolina, urged the city to brace for the worst. >> hurricanes matthew and irma, the high tide was nearly 10 feet, not quite. and what you saw was a goodly portion of downtown and other parts of our city were inundated with water. this could lead to some significant flooding. so that's why it's so important if folks haven't evacuated already, to stay in place, to stay safe. don't come out and try to be driving around or anything for the next 24 hours. >> so i want to go now nine miles south of charleston to folly beach, south carolina, where we find cathy park. what are you seeing there now?
12:31 pm
>> reporter: morgan, good afternoon, after watching and preparing for dorian here in south carolina, we're starting to feel the impacts of this hurricane right now. we are seeing heavy rain showers and i want to point something out to you. over to my right is water, you can see how close, how dangerously close it's getting to these homes. a lot of these folks have boarded up. but something to point out, hero told that 70% of the people here are actually hunkering down and weathering this storm. overnight we're told that conditions are expected to deteriorate, when you factory in high tide which is supposed to happen add 1:00 a.m., and add the storm surge, and you could be looking at extreme flooding especially in downtown charleston. we're going to be monitoring the situation here. but it seems like the conditions are getting worse and time is running out to prepare. morgan? >> thank you so much. let's go now 50 miles
12:32 pm
northeast of orlando where we find julia. so far officials in central florida say there have been no reports of major damage. what are you seeing? >> largely the case here where the story is the waves. the pounding surf that you're seeing here. in fact, the farthest pilon is where high tide usually stops, but it's coming up the street. right now i want to go ahead and bring in daytona beach mayor to talk about this. mayor henry, you told me you're seeing this for the first time. what are you thinking when you look out there and see these waves. >> i'm thinking that i hope visitors who are still here will stay out of it. we don't want anyone in that water. it's very dangerous. but it could have been much worse. >> and of course, now, some people able to return back to
12:33 pm
their homes. what is your message to this community? it looks like you ducked a big one. >> we did. it's better to be prepared than to be sorry. we saw what transpired in the bahamas. this storm gave us plenty of time to be prepared. we executed a good plan and we were fortunate. we hopeful it will continue to go out to the abyss and not disturb our neighbors to the north. >> these waves pounding the beach. what do you do when dorian goes away? how do you assess what's left here on the stand. >> the sand is going to replenish itself over time. i'm not as worried about the erosion from the storm because the storm is more of a natural consequence. i'm just worried more about residents. this could have been much worse. our sea walls are in pretty good shape. i feel comfortable with where we are. >> it sounds like you're breathing a sigh of relief. >> very much so. that's putting it mildly.
12:34 pm
>> thank you so much for joining us. and so just as you can see here, residents waiting for dorian to go ahead and move on out, more than 1,000 people who took shelter here, they have been sent home. the bridges are open again. i saw a man starting to shovel away sand because it's going to be a cleanup job pretty soon. >> have you seen the conditions change throughout the day at all? >> we have, morgan. and just looking at where we are now and how ferocious this ocean is, consider dorian being so far offshore, but the waves come in so quickly. we've seen a lot of families coming to take a picture, to take a look at the surf here and then suddenly the water sweeps right off and it can sweep you off your feet as well. something to be careful about here, morgan. >> i appreciate you being there for us. stay safe. coming up next, with women
12:35 pm
making up more than 50% of the voting electorate, we're looking at what candidates can do to win them over. the cofounder of a new women's political action group joins me just after the break. stay with us, you're watching msnbc. msnbc. hiv controlling, joint replacing, and depression relieving company. from the day you're born we never stop taking care of you. liberty mutual customizes your car insurance, from thehmm. exactly.orn so you only pay for what you need. nice. but, uh... what's up with your... partner? not again. limu that's your reflection. only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty ♪
12:36 pm
12:37 pm
i felt completely helpless. trashed online. my entire career and business were in jeopardy. i called reputation defender. they were able to restore my good name. if you are under attack, i recommend calling reputation defender. vo: there's more negativity online than ever. reputation defender ensures that when people check you out,
12:38 pm
they'll find more of the truth, not trash. if you have search results that are wrong or unfair, visit reputationdefender.com or call 1-877-866-8555. into our subaru forester. we fit a lot of life (dad) it's good to be back. (mom) it sure is. (mom vo) over the years, we trusted it to carry and protect the things that were most important to us. we always knew we had a lot of life ahead of us. (mom) remember this? (mom vo) that's why we chose a car that we knew would be there for us through it all. (male vo) welcome to the all-new 2019 subaru forester. the longest-lasting, most trusted forester ever. we are continuing to monitor hurricane dorian, a category two hurricane as it starts to pound florida's east coast. you're looking at a live picture of daytona beach, florida, and
12:39 pm
that's where the surf is churning. those winds are whipping and residents are trying to stay safe and trying to cleanup. coming off of the momentum of the 2018 midterms, which sent a record number of women to congress, progressives want to maintain the support from female voters in 2020. a new organization is focused on mobilizing american women to become organizers ahead of the presidential election. in less than two weeks, the supermajority education fund, they're going to get on the road for a bus tower where they plan to speak to women across the country about the issues that drive them to the polls. they'll host contenders themselves while they're doing the tour. joining me now is one of the cofounders of the group. i want to thank you for being here with us. we've seen a record number of women elected to congress. we have a record number of women running for the white house. why did you all decide to start
12:40 pm
this group now. >> because what we saw across the country, particularly after the 2016 elections is every single town i go to, a woman will stop me and say i want to do more. they realize they're becoming a powerful political force in the country and want to make sure that the issues they care about are part of the debate. we've been amazed, literally hundreds of thousands of women have raised their hands and said they want to do more. and women are poised to be the deciding voters in the presidential elections as well as elections across the country. >> four of those deciding voters, especially for a lot of democrats and certainly progressives, simply reversing trump's policies isn't enough. what are the members of your organization hoping to hear from contenders? >> i think it's a good point, morgan, because i think what women have aspirations is more than changing who's in the white house. for a long time, issues that
12:41 pm
women think about every day, getting access to affordable childcare, taking care of their aging parents while holding down a job, being able to actually get equal pay for the jobs they're doing. these are issues that women want to see reflected in the presidential debates and in the conversation and they want whoever goes into the white house to take these issues seriously and not be, you know, put off as a side issue. the other thing that's been interesting is to see how many men care about these issues as well. i think a lot of issues, particularly childcare, has been regul relegated to women. partly because we have women running for president, a lot of these issues are being talked about it. but it's important that not just women talk about them, but men as well. >> you mention things like affordab affordable childcare. have you noticed the issues change?
12:42 pm
i remember doing an interview in south carolina, a woman said i'm voting on -- according to women's issues because i never thought they would be under threat. and it struck me that she said that. are you noticing what women care about is changing? >> it is in a way, we came out -- we got out of the field after polling women across the country. i think there's a couple of things that were striking. two-thirds of the american people, including a lot of men, believe that women do not have equity in the job -- in the workforce, in our economy, and that is -- that is a concern. and there's also more and more women who are saying they can't put their finger on it, but they feel like they're losing their rights -- >> losing ground. >> losing ground and that is worrisome and i think that's going to be a very motivating factor for voting, for women wanting to be more active in their communities. that's the idea of supermajority and we're so excited to be launching in atlanta with stacey abrams on september 15th,
12:43 pm
traveling all across the country and ending up with one of the top presidential contenders, senator kamala harris in las vegas, nevada, on october 2nd. >> i like what you said about this being an inclusive movement. it's more men and people who care about -- >> when women do better, everyone does better. >> thank you so much for joining us. we appreciate your time. and coming up, boris johnson is blindsided as the british parliament takes control of the brexit debate. you're looking at live pictures. all the details right here just after the break. stay tuned. you're watching msnbc. at my bes. in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured and left those doubts behind. i faced reminders of my hep c every day. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. even hanging with friends i worried about my hep c. but in only 8 weeks with mavyret, i was cured. mavyret is the only 8-week cure for all common types of hep c.
12:44 pm
before starting mavyret your doctor will test if you've had hepatitis b which may flare up and cause serious liver problems during and after treatment. tell your doctor if you've had hepatitis b, a liver or kidney transplant, other liver problems, hiv-1, or other medical conditions, and all medicines you take including herbal supplements. don't take mavyret with atazanavir or rifampin, or if you've had certain liver problems. common side effects include headache and tiredness. with hep c behind me, i feel free... ...fearless... ...and there's no looking back, because i am cured. talk to your doctor about mavyret.
12:45 pm
wayfair's got your perfect mattress. whether you're looking for a top-brand at a great price. ready to upgrade. moving in. moving on up. or making big moves. deliveries ship free and come with a 100-night free trial. no matter your budget. or your sleep style. we have quality options for everyone. so search and shop. save and snooze. and rest easy, knowing that we've got your back. literally. that's what you get, when you've got wayfair. so shop now. you should be mad at leaf blowers. [beep] you should be mad your neighbor always wants to hang out.
12:46 pm
and you should be mad your smart fridge is unnecessarily complicated. but you're not mad, because you have e*trade which isn't complicated. their tools make trading quicker and simpler. so you can take on the markets with confidence. don't get mad. get e*trade and start trading today. don't get mad. that's why with dell small business technology advisors. you'll get tailored product solutions, expert tech advice and one-on-one partnership. call an advisor today at 877-buy-dell. ♪
12:47 pm
and we're back now with a live look at the waves in jacksonville beach, florida, where hurricane dorian is bringing with it strong winds and sending residents there scrambling. you can see those waves. they're crashing onto the shore. and to the latest on what seems to be a never-ending saga of chaos, confusion and humiliation known as brexit. just minutes ago, lawmakers approved a bill designed to avoid a no-deal brexit. >> the ayes to the right, 327.
12:48 pm
the noes to the left, 299. >> the bill goes to the upper chamber of parliament and president shared his thoughts on all of this. >> boris is a friend of mine and he's -- he's going at it, there's no question about it. he's in there. i watched him this morning. he's in there fighting. and he knows how to win. boris knows how to win. don't worry about him. he's going to be okay. >> and joining us now to make sense of all of this is a senior contributor for the intercept and host of the deconstructed podcast. thank you for joining us this afternoon. but we saw president trump speaking and he said in the past that boris johnson is britain's trump. is that really the case? >> he is britain's trump in many ways in terms of the way he came to office, demonizing immigrants, attacking islam, pretending to a populist.
12:49 pm
and they've become kind of close allies in recent months. but you have donald trump saying he's a winner, he's going to win, as usual trump asking us to deny the reality in front of our faces. he lost yesterday, boris johnson, his first ever vote in parliament as prime minister which has not happened to a prime minister since 1894 in the uk. he's lost again today. this bill that british lawmakers have put forward to delay brexit, get an extension on saying in the european union until a deal is done, he lost that today. yesterday he lost his majority of one. he had a majority of one seat in parliament. it's gone down to minus 43. one important difference is he's got people in his party who rumble against him, trump doesn't. >> what about the deadline? because the original brexit deadline was march 29th? then it moved to early april,
12:50 pm
then october 31st, now it can get moved to january of next year. is it possible that brexit may not happen at all? >> it's a great $64,000 question. i don't think anyone knows. i don't think anyone imagined we would get to this point where the referendum was in the summer of 2016 and we're now in 2019. the brexit is the pro-frustrated are just get on and do it. anti-brexit pointed out three years ago none of this debate happened. why are we having this debate now? there was no promise of leaving without any agreement, without any deal, just crashing out and leaving britain at the mercies of all sorts of economic he headwinds. 5 1/2% drop in growth, double in unemployment. retailers said there could be shortages of fresh food in the united kingdom, one of the richest countries in the world, even a shortage of toilet paper. >> wow. you were talking about some of the rebellion with boris
12:51 pm
johnson's own party. but there will have to be an election at some point in the near future. what will it luook like and wha are boris johnson's chances? >> indeed, the third party have become popular recently because they have taken a strong anti-brexit stance and britain is divided not between left and right, labor and conservative, but leave and remain, people who want to get out and people who want to stay. british politics is polarized. no one knows what an election result would look like. if boris johnson would lose, he would be the shortest serving british prime minister in all of british history which is ironic because he spent all of his life trying to be prime minister. we don't know will happen or if there will be an election. he suspended parliament for five weeks because he's trying to find a way to get around the fact the majority of parliament does not want to crash out of the eu because they know it would be mad to do that on the 31st of october.
12:52 pm
>> it's interesting because you mentioned the fact he would them be the shortest sitting person but what would be the efforts if he did lose and brexit could go through? >> so britney last week at the g7 talked about this big trade deal and since boris is his friend, he will offer a bigger-than-ever trade deal. we know donald trump's means nothing, the fact he's promising a trade means nothing. they cannot make a deal based on a possible trade deal. it will be a huge economic shock if britain pulls out of european union it's been a member of for ou over four decades without a plan whether it's boris johnson or whoever it is, there's no plan and britain is sparing in the abyss. >> uncertain times. thank you so much for joining us. we appreciate your time. and we will be right back after this quick break with a live update from savannah,
12:53 pm
georgia, on hurricane dorian. but we're also a cancer fighting, hiv controlling, joint replacing, and depression relieving company. from the day you're born we never stop taking care of you. our mission is to provide complete, balanced nutrition for strength and energy! whoo-hoo! great-tasting ensure. with nine grams of protein and twenty-six vitamins and minerals. ensure, for strength and energy.
12:54 pm
and twenty-six vitamins and minerals. if you have postmenopausal osteoporosis and a high risk for fracture now might not be the best time to ask yourself are my bones strong? life is full of make or break moments. that's why it's so important to help reduce your risk of fracture with prolia®. only prolia® is proven to help strengthen and protect bones from fracture with 1 shot every 6 months. do not take prolia® if you have low blood calcium, are pregnant, are allergic to it or take xgeva® serious allergic reactions, like low blood pressure trouble breathing; throat tightness; face, lip, or tongue swelling rash; itching; or hives have happened. tell your doctor about dental problems as severe jaw bone problems may happen or new or unusual pain in your hip groin, or thigh, as unusual thigh bone fractures have occurred. speak to your doctor before stopping prolia® as spine and other bone fractures have occurred. prolia® can cause serious side effects, like low blood calcium; serious infections which could need hospitalization; skin problems; and severe bone joint, or muscle pain. are you ready? ask your doctor how prolia® can help strengthen your bones.
12:55 pm
12:56 pm
we continue to track hurricane dorian as it churns off the east coast. the eye of the storm near georgia, and the state took no chances and ordered a mandatory evacuation of coastal areas.
12:57 pm
nbc's molly hunter joins us live from savannah. molly, what are you experiencing there on the ground? >> hey, morgan, good afternoon. we're getting a little dry cell right now. we're starting to feel the outer bands about a half hour ago, just getting pounded with rain but it's turning off the coast of georgia so we're just starting to feel it. this morning we were on the tybee island and getting hammered out there. strong tropical storm winds. mandatory evacuation, even building bigger dunes to protect the low-lying areas. we spoke to the manager who said everyone had to be out by noon or shelter in place. the biggest fear is the storm surge meets and coincides with really high tides. this afternoon we had one of the highest tides georgia had seen in months, coinciding with the
12:58 pm
high mark of dorian. so county officials are saying do not move or get on the road. shelter in place. there's another curfew from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. because around 2:00 a.m. the high water mark from dorian, dorian will be churning very close to savannah and that will coinside with another high tad. the worry, of course, this beautiful boardwalk down here will flood. i will just pan a bit so you can see. this is the river everybody's worried about flooding, this the the boardwalk. you see that ship down there, the georgia queen, even with the sidewalk i'm standing on, but the high tide watermarks were not quite as high as officials thought, it hasn't come over the sidewalk but we will be careful going into the afternoon and morning. >> tell me about the beaches disappearing, high tides and curfew, what what is the feeling like there? what are people saying they need? >> very different vibes in tybee
12:59 pm
island and savannah. you have hard-core surfers, kitesurfers out there catching crazy, rough, gnarly surf that looks like you could drown within minutes. you have gnarly surfers and die-hard residents who weathered matthew and are ready for this and staying in place. the real worry is not the atlantic coast but actually inland where all of the marshes flood up. so that's what city officials were really worried about. the roads that go from savannah to tybee is flooded. so that road has been cut off from the mainland. that, of course, was the big worry of officials, look, get off the island or you will be in place several hours. we actually got on the island because we didn't want to be trapped out there. in savannah though it's pretty calm. we are feeling outer rain bans but there are a couple of bars open, people taking pictures, checking it out but i imagine
1:00 pm
that mood will shift when the rain starts to come. >> molly hunter from savannah, georgia, enough for being with us. that wraps up the hour for me. be sure to stay with msnbc for all of the latest on hurricane dorian. you're looking live at jacksonville beach in florida where the category 2 storm is bringing whipping winds and rising waters. thank you very much for watching. you will see ali velshi live from south carolina tomorrow afternoon and "deadline: white house" with nicolle wallace starts right now. hi, everyone, it's 4:00 in new york and we're watching hurricane dorian as it closes in on south carolina on what could become the most dangerous storm day for the u.s. mass evacuations are ordered for south carolina, which is bracing for its worst flooding in decades. we will get a report from al roker in a minute. but it may have been these

102 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on