Journal Title: North Dakota Farmer Original Uploaded Format: Searchable pdf Creator: Coleman Museum, Ellendale ND Purpose: Heritage Studies, Historical Research
This monthly journal was published from 1899 to about 1920, and was continued under other auspices. The journal usually consisted of 36 pages. It was first published under the name of North Dakota Farmer and Sanitary Home. Emblazoned beneath an engraving of a farmer with horse, livestock, cultivated fields, and farmstead was the motto WE CATER ONLY TO THE INTELLIGENT FARMER.
Articles in this journal focused largely on wise farm management, including crops, animals, marketing, rural development, and progressive viewpoints about the role of farmers in the fast-changing world of the early twentieth century.
The North Dakota Farmer was richly illustrated with photographs and drawings, with many farm scenes. It contains many illustrated advertisements for a wide variety of products and services that would have been of interest to farmers. Many of these products were produced in the state or region. Some were national or international.
The journal was published in Lisbon, N.D. & Fargo, ND. Professor E.F. Ladd of the ND State Agricultural College, Fargo, was the editor, W.G. Crocker of Lisbon ND was the publisher. Associate Editors were Prof. J.H. Shepperd, W.B. Richard, and C.B. Waldron. John H. Worst (1850-1945), who served as president of the ND Agricultural College from 1895-1916, contributed many articles. Professor E.F. Ladd, a chemist who gained fame for his efforts on behalf of pure food and drug laws, served as Agricultural College President from 1916-1921, and in the US Senate from 1921 to 1925.
KEYWORDS: North Dakota Farmer, North Dakota, Fargo, Farming, Lisbon, Ladd, Crocker, Shepperd, Country Life Movement, Progressivism, J.H. Worst, livestock, Red River Valley, Agriculture, Agricultural College, NDSU, North Dakota State University
Coleman Museum, Ellendale North Dakota Uploaded 3-25-16