in an5 IT^istor^
J. L. WEIR
UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH LIBRARY
3 llflfl 0]iD3bbbl
DA e?0.G5 M19
ORIGIN AND HISTORY OF GLASGOW
STREETS / BY HUGH MACINTOSH
Zbc (S^rigin anb Ibtstor^
By HUGH MACINTOSH
JAMES HEDDERWICK & SONS
UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH
It is impossible within the limits of a single volume to
give the origin or history of every street — a great many
having fancy names, to discover the meaning of which
would be somewhat of the nature of a conundrum. An
•instance occurs in Belmar Terrace, Pollokshields — the
original proprietor of which having two daughters, Bella
and Marion, took the first syllable from each of these
cognomens, and produced a fair-sounding title for his
property. Royalty and nobility are likewise utilised to
a considerable extent, and although no pretence is made
in this work as to an exhaustion of the subject yet it may
safely be asserted that it contains more information anent
the principal thoroughfares of this city than any previous
publication. In regard to personal names connected
with trades, from which they accrued, there are at present
in the city, one Mason, a builder ; Hair, a barber ; Baxter,
a baker; Clouts, a tailor; Soutar, a bootmaker; and
Finnie, a fishmonger.
In compilation I have to thank Mr. Renwick, depute
town clerk, for valuable information most courteously
tendered ; as also Messrs. Hedderwick & Sons, who gave
me permission to give extracts from some articles which
I contributed to their Saturday Weekly Citizen some _years
ago ; likewise C. J. Maclean, Esq., for notes on the
The Diocesan Records, the City Protocols,
the Regality Publications. " Origines Parochiales,"
by Innes ; " History of Strathbrock," by the Rev. James
Primrose ; " Glasgow : Past and Present," Jamieson's
" History of the Culdees," '' The Country Houses of the
Old Glasgow Gentry," "Commissariat of Govan," Scott's
" History of Langside," " Scottish Pasquils," edited by
Maidment; "The Harlot's Progress," by Balzac; "Glasghu
Facies," Clelland's " Annals of Glasgow," " Glasgow : its
Municipal Organisation and Administration," by Sir
James Bell and J. Paton ; " Scottish Market Crosses,"
by J. W. Small; " Cunningham," by Timothy Pont.
the patron saint of Glasgow, was also called
Saint Kentigern. His father was Ewen ap Urien,
a prince of Strath-Clyde ; his mother was Thenaw, a
daughter of Loth, King of Northumbria. Thenaw was
visionary, and dreamed of being a second Virgin Mary ;
but her paternal parent was too matter-of-fact, so he
sent her to sea in a little boat, which was ultimately
driven to Culross, where Saint Kentigern was born, and
partly educated by Saint Serf, who latterly handed him
over to the care of Semanus. Bishop of Orkney, who, after
taking the good little boy in charge, found him so loving
and kindly in disposition that he called him bj^ a pet-
name of his own — Mungo, from the Norwegian phrase
Mongah (my friend or dear one), and this stuck to him —
hence the name Saint Mungo. Kentigern, his first title,
The Arms of Glasgow.
The tree denotes the frozen branch with which, by
blowing into a flame, Saint Mungo re-kindled the
monastery fire at Culross. The bird is the robin
he brought back to life after it had been decapi-
tated. The fish and ring are emblematic of a
miracle, by which he restored to Langueth, the wife of
King Ridderch of Strathclyde, a love token she had lost ;
and the bell represents that which he brought from
Rome. He died about 601, and for more than five
centuries after that date Glasgow has no authentic
The Streets of Saint Mungo.
Up till 1750 there were only thirteen streets in
Glasgow. These were — Bell Street, Bridgegate Street,
Candleriggs Street, Canon Street, Drygate Street, Gallow-
gate Street, High Street, King Street, Princes
Street, Kottenrow Street, Saltmarket Street, Stock-
well Street, and Trongate Street. At the present
time there are approximately two thousand one
hundred streets within the bounds of the city, and,
in addition, several squares, quadrants, and parades. The
total length of streets maintained by the Statute Labour
Department is two hundred and sixteen and one-third
miles, the actual cost of maintenance and repair of
which for the year 1901 was £73,072 16s. 4d. Sixteen
new streets, 3589 yards in length, were taken over as
public during the course of the twelve months. The
Dean of Guild Court in the same time granted linings to
the number of 460, the valuations of which were
£1,430,312. In the previous year the linings
granted numbered 579, and the value was £2,019,822.
The streets were first lighted in 1717 with a few oil
lamps which were hung on brackets ; but in 1780 the
first lamps were placed on the south-side of Trongate
Street. They were erected as a reward for the formation
of a pavement by the local proprietors between the Cross
and Stock well Street. Gas was first introduced for street
lighting on 15th September, 1818. Early in 1893
several of the leading thoroughfares were lighted with
electricity ; and to\Nards the end of the same year the
Welsbach incandescent mantle was utilised with satisfac-
OF ST. MUNGO),
Abercrombie Street, opened in 1802, and named in honour of
Sir Ralph, who fell in Egypt in 1801. It had previously been
known as South Witch Lone.
Adam's Court Lane, named for John Adam, a contractor, who
built the first foot-bridge over the river at Jamaica Street in
1768. He afterwards built several tenements in Argyle Street
east of Jamaica Street and extending to this lane.
Adelphi Street was opened early in last century, and named
in honour of the brothers Hutcheson.
Aird's Lane, named for John Aird, who was five times elected
Provost of the city, the last time in 1721. His old mansion
stood here till a few months since, when it was removed for
Albany Street (Bridgeton), named for Charlotte Stuart,
Duchess of Albany, who was the daughter of Prince Charlie.
Burns sings of her as the Bonnie Lass of Albany. This lady was
born in Paris and baptised at Liege on 29th October, 1753. Her
mother, Clementina Walkinshaw, was the youngest daughter of
John Walkinshaw of Barrowfield, and she died at Fribourg, in
Switzerland, so late as 1802.
Albion Street, opened in 1808. It had been church lands, and
the market for salt was for a time located in it.
Allander Street, named for the river of that name in Dum-
Allan's Pen. Pen in common parlance means to coop up or
confine. In the present instance, in East-end vernacular it is a big
close or passage. Thus a close was generally taken to be a passage
about five feet wide, but a pen close was always considered to be
wide enough for the passage of a horse and cart. Allan's Pen
however, so far as the writer can remember from the remnant
of it remaining in his day, through which he has passed many a
time, would be about eight feet by eight. It was virtually a
subway or tunnel, the side walls of stone and arched with brick,
extending from the south-east exit of Glasgow Green to Euther-
glen Bridge, and was constructed by Alexander Allan of Newhall
to give him unbroken access from his demesne to the river. This
was done by turfing over the erection. It was an outrage on the
public rights, but no action was taken as happened later in the
Harvey's Dyke case. But the river coming down in high flood
with broken ice during the ensuing winter destroyed the greater
part of the structure, on seeing which the proprietor made only half-
hearted efforts at repair. Meantime his action had incensed the
Bridgeton people, who were at that period mostly employed as
hand-loom weavers and nearly all strongly imbued with Radical
ideas. The result was that every one became Mr. Allan's enemy,
and he, while largely interested in the sugar trade of the West
Indies, was also a manufacturer in the city and gave out webs to
be woven. In this he was boycotted, as the weavers declined to
work to him, even at increased rates. This was the first check
that his arrogant and over bearing attitude to the public got. But
coming events cast their shadows before, and worse was in store for
him, as a year or two later a panic in the Indian cotton market,
simultaneous with a big drop in sugar, led him to do some very
foolish things, which ultimately caused him to take flight to Ireland,
which was then, as America became later on, the receptacle of the
greater number of those who left their country for their country's
good. He never returned, dying there in 1809. The mansion of
Newhall had been built by him, and as showing the extravagance of
the individual, the flues of all the chimnej^s were lined with copper,
under the mistaken idea that this would obviate sweeping. The
building stood near the eastern extremity of Newhall Terrace, and
was taken down several years ago. After Mr. Allan's flight the
lands of Newhall were divided and sold. William Dixon of
Govanhill, having bought the minerals, tried to sink a shaft near
the southern boundary, but the attempt was vain, and after using
up all the ideas of the most skilful mining engineers as well as
many thousands of pounds in cash, the project was abandoned.
The coal was reached several times, but the shifting mud always
closed the shaft. Clydeview Terrace is built almost over the spot
where the operations took place, and it was this, no doubt, which
caused the subsidence of these buildings some years ago, creating
considerable alarm among the residents. The mansion with a few
adjoining acres were acquiied by Mr. Hussey, who was an extensive
cotton-spinner, and son-in-law to Henry Houldsworth (see Houlds-
worth Street). Mr. Allan's daughters, the spinsters, resided for
many years after their father's decease in a building which had
originally been intended as offices for the mansion, while a widowed
daughter (Mrs. Martin) resided with her family in a small
jointure house within the grounds. The first-mentioned dwelling
abutted on the boundary wall of the Green, the windows looking
into the Planting, this being the local name for the pathway which
runs parallel to the boundary wall of the Green eastwards from
John-street to the river. At that time it was in great part a deep
hollow or ravine thickly studded with saiigh trees and the lower
part filled with a dense undergrowth, and towards nightfall it had
rather a weird appearance, police in this locality being unknown
at this period. The gamins made frequent raids from the Planting
into the garden of the Allans, and occasionally defied the ladies,
one of whom had rather prominent teeth, which had been operated
upon by a clumsy dentist, who had left the metallic fixings quite
too apparent, and in the course of her expostulations with the
raiders the addition to her molars was spotted at once by the
belligerents, who dubbed her " Jenny with the iron teeth," and this
title getting exaggerated as time went on, the youngsters of the
East End came to the belief that a veritable ogre existed on the other
.side of Green head wall, the result being that for many years
children in their peregrinations through the paik invariably
avoided the Planting through fear of Jenny. A year or two since,
a correspondent in one of the daily papers, who claimed to be the
representative of the Allan family, suggested that a metal tablet
should be fixed up to mark the site of Allan's Pen. Rather a
strange desire on the part of a descendant to have the memory of
an ancestor perpetuated whose most notable action was that of
depriving the public of a right of way, and who wound up a some-
what chequered career by ignominious flight. Byron in his
"Childe Harold" thus descants on an individual of this sort:
" But one sad lozel soils a name for aye,
However mighty in the olden time,
Nor all that heralds rake from coffined clay
Can blazon evil deeds or consecrate a crime."
Alston Street, now swallowed up in Central Railway Station,
was named for John Alston, grandson of Mr. Miller of Westerton,
the maker of Miller Street.
Anderston, the village of, was formed on the eastern portion of
the estate of Mr. Anderson of Stobcross.
Annfield Street, after Ann Park, who was the wife of James
Tennant, a wealthy tobacconist, who built the mansion of Annfield.
Ann Street (Bridgeton), after a daughter of John Walkinshaw
of Barrowfield, of which estate this formed a part.
Argyle Street was without the West Port, and was at first
known as Dumbarton Road, then it changed to Wester Gate, and
previous to assuming the patronymic of Archibald, Duke of
Argyle, it was called Anderston Walk. In May, 1761, the
corpse of Argyle, who had met his death in England, lay in state,
while en route to the ducal burying-place at Kilmun, in the Black
Bull Hotel, then known as the Highland Society's House, in this
street, which but a short time previously had been named in his
honour. The old hotel still standing between Glassford Street and
Virginia Street, is now engrossed in the premises of Mann, Byars,
Argyle Arcade. The tenement fronting Argyle Street which
forms the entrance to this popular promenade was built by John
Reid, the father of " Senex," about 1 780, but the Arcade was formed
by John Robertson Reid of Gallowflat, who was of the same family.
A practical joke was carried out here by an officer who was
quartered with a troop of the Lancers in the Cavalry Barracks,
which were at that time (about seventy years ago) situated in Eglin-
ton Street. This officer and gentleman took a bet with some of his
compeers that he would ride through the Arcade at mid-day in full
military tog, including carbine, sword, and lance, and he did it
entering at Buchanan Street and emerging at Argyle Street. The
private constable had for the nonce been invited into a tavern by
an emissaiy, which left the course clear, and the horse carrying the
warrior pranced through the flagged way, much to the astonish-
ment of the toyshop men and terror of the milliners. The soldier
man, however, had to pay sweetly for his little escapade at the
Police Court next dciy. The Argyle family, like another ducal line,
are unduly commemorated in our city, which was never in any way
indebted to them, and their record does not read well. The first
peer of the family, Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochow, founded the
Collegiate Chiu-ch at Kilmun in the year 1442, and he died eleven
years thereafter, and was buried in the church which he had set up
From that time Kilmun became the burial-place of the Argyle
family, and among the chiefs whose bones repose here may be
mentioned that singularly unhappy nobleman, Archibald, first
Marquis of Argyle. He was decapitated by the guillotine or
'• Maiden " at the Cross of Edinburgh on the 27th May, 1661. His
head was stuck on the Tolbooth on the very pinnacle where the
head of his heroic adversary the great Marquis of Montrose had
been exposed for ten long years. The remains of Argyle were
more tenderly dealt with, as on the 8th of June, 1664, King Charles
the Second granted a warrant to have it taken down and deposited
beside his body in the tomb of his ancestors at Kilmun. The son
and successor of this peer, Archibald, ninth Earl of Argyle, was
fated like his father to die on a scaffiDld at Edinburgh, but his dust
found a resting-place in the neighbouring church of Greyfriars.
Archibald, first Duke of Argyle, died under rather peculiar
circumstances in England on 28th September, 1703. In extracts
from the Argyle papers by James Maidment, advocate, Edin-
burgh, it is shown that John, Duke of Argyle and Gi-eenwich, was by
no means the estimable person represented by Sir Walter Scott in
his " Heart of Midlothian." Woodrow does not speak favourably of
him, saying his talents were much over-rated. Glover, in *' Political
Memoirs," at pa.ge 9, states that he was in his own person a most
shameless prostitute to power, and extremely avaricious. He would
sell nothing but himself, which he continually did with every circum-
stance of levity, meanness, and treachery. The late Duke was an
eminently self-contained individual. His nature was cold and
somewhat unsympathetic, and while in lesidence at his castle in
Inveraray there was not much of that kindly intercourse between
peasant and peer that tends to ameliorate and bridge the dividing
gulf. He was a voluminous and versatile writer, and in his early
day a fair orator, as older citizens can remember, when overflow-
ing audiences were always the result of a lecture announced to be
given by his Grace in the City Hall. The subject-matter, how-
ever, of several of these oratorical shows was but shadows from
the works of Hugh Miller and others. But the lecturer was a
Duke (something of a o^ara avis in Glasgow), and the people
Arthur Street (Bridgeton), named for William Rae Arthur
who was Lord Provost in 1869.
Bain Street, in honour of Sir James Bain, who was Lord
Provost of the city in 1874.
Balgray. The town of the flock, such as sheep or goats.
Balmano Street, opened 1792, was formed on the garden
belonging to a lady of that name. Her son was a well-known
surgeon and druggist in Trongate Street.
Balshagrie. The windy town.
Baltic Street was formed on gi^ound acquired by The
Baltic Jute Works Co., who built extensive factories here.
It did not succeed, and was wound up after a few years'
Bankier Street, aftei- William Bankier, a former Provost of
Bardowie Street, named for the estate of this name in the
parish of Baldernock and county of Stirling, on the margin of
Bardowie Loch. It is about six miles from the city.
Barrack Street, opened 1795. It formed the eastern boundary
of the Infantry Barracks, which were built on lands anciently
known as the Butts, where the citizens practised archery. A
battle was fought here during the reign of Queen Marie between
the Regent Arran and Lennox and Glencairn. Upwards of three
hundred fell on either side, and the town suffered severely, as it
was given up to pillage. A large portion of these lands was
granted to the Government in 1795 as a site for an infantry
barracks, for which purpose they were utilised for well-nigh a
century, but the locality becoming unsuitable, new quarters were
erected in the north-west portion of the city. In the circum-
stances it was fully expected that the ground which the War Office
authorities had so long enjoyed the free use of would have been
handed back to the city to be utilised as an open garden space,
which was much needed in the district, but with that parsimony
which is invariably shown to Scotland in things Imperial a deaf
ear was given to all remonstrance, and the place was sold for a very
large sum to a railway company.
Bartholomew Street, named for John Bartholomew of Cotton
Hall. He was an extensive cotton spinner and proprietor of
several factories. He died at Helensburgh, 30th September,
Bath Street got its name from William Harley, a specu-
lative character, who early in last century built public baths and
also extensive dairy premises at the north-east end of this
Beaconsfield Road, in memory of the famous political Earl,
who first gained notoriety through an attack made upon him in
Parliament by the redoubtable Dan, who in his diatribe styled him
a veritable descendant of Judas Iscariot and no doubt closely
related to the thief upon the cross.
Bedford Lane, previously known as Puddock Row, this title
doubtless having arisen from the multiplicity of frogs in the
district, these little reptiles always having been numerous in the
open lands on the south-side of the river, particularly so in the
districts of Little Govan and Polmadie.
Bellahouston. This place is mentioned in a Crown charter
granted in 1597, where it reads Ballahawstene. In a charter of
the following year it is printed Ballahowstene. Balla is from the
Celtic haile (a town), and the name Howstene following would lead
to the supposition that it meant Howstene's town, but the name
Houston of old was written Hewston or Hughston, the town of
Hugh, and was therefore complete in itself. This is clearly defined
in the case of Houston in Renfrewshire, as likewise in the notes
on Houston House in the parish of IJphall, given in the history of
Strathbrock by the Rev. James Primrose, which would give rather
a strange rendering of the name. A supposition that the place
may have been held at one time by a rentaller of the name of
Houston is also open to objection from the difference in spelling.
The name is evidently purely Celtic, and its true meaning will
have to be sought for in a Gaelic dictionary. These notes have
been given in rectification of the popular idea that the place had
been named by a former proprietor after a favourite daughter
Bell Street (City), opened 1710, and named for Sir John
Bell, who was Provost in 1680.
Bellfield Street, named for Isobel, wife of John Macdonald,
who had a villa in it.
Bellgrove Street, previously known as Witch Lone. It is
said to have been originated by the masons who built the Cathe-
dral, they living in Rutherglen. It was also a drove road for
cattle crossing Clyde at Dalmarnock Ford.
Bishop Street (Anderston) was formerly called Bishop's or
Parson's Croft, having been church lands. After the Reformation
King James the Sixth gave these lands, which consisted of about
thirteen acres, to John Andrew, who was clerk of his Secret
Council. It afterwards became the property of the Incorporation
BisHOPBRiGGS derives its name from a bridge erected by a
Glasgow bishop to facilitate communication with his rentallers in
Blythswood Square, was laid off and opened in 1823 undei
the name of Garden Square, this title being given to it by William
Hamilton Garden, who was a son of Francis Garden of Fetteresso.
He was at that time head of a well-known West India firm in
the city, and speculated extensively in porperty. He resided in the
Crawford mansion, having bought it in 1813, the site of which is
now occupied by the station of the North British Railway.
Blackburn Street (Plantation) was so named after the
Midland town by one of the trustees of Mr. Maclean, because he
had business connections with it.
Botanic Gardens, opened in 1832, on ground extending to 21|
acres which was feued from Campbell of Blythswood. They did
not succeed as a company concern, and were taken over by the
Corporation in 1892 at a cost of ^59,531. The banks of Kelvin
extending to 18| acres have been added since then to the gardens
at a cost of X9360. What was called the Old Botanic Gardens
were situated on the north side of Dumbarton Road west of
Claremont Street, and are now built over.
Bothwell Street. This thoioughfare was exploited by James
Scott of Kelly about the middle of last century. He expended a
large sum of money in forming it, having got a special Act of
Parliament to enable him to construct the viaduct at its western
extremity to carry it over Bishop Street into St. Vincent Street ;
but the scheme was a little too premature, as it is only now taking
shape to rank as a leading thoroughfare.
Brand Street, named for Harvey Brand, who was proprietor of
the ground on which it was formed.
Bridgegate Street, opened in 1100, and previous to the
erection of the bridge over the river. It was known as the
Fishergate from the fact that the fishers and fish dealers had
incorporated themselves into a society and had built the greater
part of it,
Bridgeton is formed upon a part of the lands of Barrowfield
called Goosefauld. It was laid off for feuing by John Walkinshaw,
the proprietor, in 1705, but it was very slow in being taken up, and
the place was of little account until Butherglen Bridge was built
l;i 1775. The bridge cost .£1800, of which sum Butherglen
Bridgeton Cross. The place at present so named is a
misnomer. Camlachie Burn is the boundary between Bridgeton
and Calton, and this so-called Cross, being on the west side of the
burn, is therefore in Calton. The Cross proper is at the junction
of Reid Street and Dale Street, and the spot was for many years
marked with a cross in the roadway by stones sunk in the macadam.
The writer has also seen it referred to in the minute-book of the
Bridgeton Feuar Court, which was the governing authority pre-
vious to annexation to the city. This minute-book unfortunately
got mutilated accidentally, and there is only a small portion of it
now in existence. But sufficient has been stated to locate the
Cross of this suburb, although there is no historic record to prove
it, as Mr. Renwick seems to think is awanting in the case of the
Cross in Bottenrow. Record indeed ! Bridgeton is of yesterday,
no building or house in it being yet 200 years old. J. W. Small, in
his "Scottish Market Crosses," published last year, says: — "In
many cases I did not find any Cross where I had been led to suppose
a Cross existed, but in one exceptional case I found a cross marked
in the causeway." So it was with Bridgeton, but on making a pil-
grimage to the shrine a few weeks since I found the vandals had
swept the mark away. Sanitary affairs were conducted in rather a
primitive fashion in Bridgeton up till 1830, when the contractor for
cleansing was bound to sweep the streets only six times during the
year, for which he got the handsome remuneration of <£3 10s.
Two years later, when the contractor was James Roberton, farmer,
Dalmarnock, it is mentioned in the minute-book that he was
awarded an additional ten shillings for having given the streets an
extra touch up. This gentleman, by the way, it may be mentioned,
was the father of a late leading legal luminary in this city. Sir
James Roberton. Pavements in this district up till this date were
unknown, and, without even the Auld Reekie warning of " Gardie
loo," buckets of slops were shot out from front doors on to the
common thoroughfare, so that wayfarers had to be wary or they
Brook Street, so named from its contiguity to Camlachie
Burn, which used to be spanned here by a footbridge.
Broomielaw, a grassy slope or meadow with broom growing on
it. The first quay or jetty, with a weigh-house and crane, were
erected here in 1662.
Broomward Street was formed on the lands of this name,
whereon the Dunlops of Craigton early in last century erected
extensive cotton-spinning works. The father of the late John
Elder, of Fairfield Shipbuilding Yard, who had come from
Strathaven as an operative, superintended the fitting up of the
machinery when the place was being built.
Brown Street (City), opened in 1800. It was formed on the
bleachfield of Brown, Carrick, & Co., and named for the senior
Buchanan Street, opened 1780, and named for Andrew
Buchanan, of Buchanan, Hastie, & Co., who were leading
merchants in the city. He was proprietor of the gi'ound on which
it was formed as far north as Gordon Street.
Brunswick Street, opened 1790, named in honour of the House
of Hanover. This street was formed on the garden attached to
the house of a w^-^ll-known sporting man, Mr. Baird of Craigton.
Byres Boad was formed through a small village or clachan
called the Byres of Partick. Sometimes it was called the Bishop's
Byres. An attempt was made some years since to change the
name to Victoria Road, but the public would not have it.
Calton is from a Gaelic word, coiUdui7i, meaning w^ood on the
hiU. It had been known for some time as Blackfauld, and formed
part of the Barrowfield estate. It was ultimately raised into a
Burgh of Barony, and annexed to the city in 1846. The Cross was
at the junction of Main Street and King Street, the latter at that
time being known as New Street.
Oamlachie or Cambuslachie are both Celtic terms, meaning
the wild duck hollow or glen. Camlaiche, another form, means
the muddy bend of the burn.
Campbell Street, opened 1784, from Gallowgate Street to
Grseme Street, was formed on ground belonging to James Camp-
bell of Petershill.
Campbell Street (West) is named for Campbell of Blythswood.
Camperdown Street, to commemorate Camperdown's Red
Fight, when Admiral Duncan routed the Dutch on 11th October,
1797. The local authorities forbade illuminations in celebration
because (it was said) the Dutch were Protestants. From this it
would appear that pro-Boerism is not a creation of yesterday.
Candleriggs Street, opened in 1724. A candle work formerly
occupied a site at its north end.
Canning Street (Calton) is named for the Honourable
George Canning, who died in 1827, Prime Minister of Great
Britain. It had previously been known as Barrowfield Road,
being the highway to the manor-place of that name.
Canon Street, opened in 1360, was formed upon the site of
what had been a seminary for canons.
Carlton Place, opened 1802. It was laid off by James
Laurie of Laurieston, who put up gates at either end to stop
cart traffic, but the attempt failed. The internal decoration,
particularly the plaster work, in some of the lodgings in this
terrace, which was executed by artificers from Italy, has not up
till the present time been equalled by local tradesmen.
Garment Drive, named for Dr. Carment, of Carment, Wedder-
burn, and Watson, the well-known legal firm in Edinburgh who
are the agents of Sir John Maxwell of PoUok, on whose estate
this thoroughfare is formed.
Carmunnock means the round hill of the monk.
Carmyle, from the Gaelic cathirmaol, meaning the bare town.
It was a poor little hamlet till 1741, when Mr. Mackenzie, a
Glasgow merchant, started a muslin manufactory in it.
Carrick Street, opened 1800, was formed on the bleachfield of
Brown, Carrick & Co., and named for the junior partner.
Carstairs Street, named for the residential estate of Henry
Castle Street, opened 1100, was the highway to the Bishop's
Palace or Castle, which was used for either purpose as the
exigencies of war or religion demanded.
Cathcart Street (Hutchesontown), opened 1798, named for
Cathedral Street, opened 1840, previous to which date there
was a nai-row road called Potter-row Lone a short distance south
of the present street, which ran in the same direction, but the
operations of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Co. swept it
away and altered the locality.
Charles Street (Mile-end), named after a former East-end
proprietor. There was a close or entry in the locality that was
known as Charley's Close, and it latterly had an unenviable
notoriety from being the haunt or gathering-place of the roughs
of Calton and Bridgeton. Who Charley was history sayeth not,
but when he departed this life it was found that he had left a
legacy to the East-enders in the shape of a small gi-een which
was to remain an open space for ever, but the little oasis has been
utilised by a railway company, who have not given an equivalent.
Charles Street (St. Rollox), named after Charles Tennant the
elder, grandsire of the present Baronet. He founded St. Bollox
Chemical Works in company with George Macintosh of Dun-
chattan in 1788.
Charlotte Street, opened 1779, and named for the gran dam of
our late Empress Queen, Victoria. It had previously been known
as Merkdaily, that is the daily market where fruit and vegetables
were sold. David Dale the Socialist, and founder of Lanark Mills,
had his town house here, still standing at the south-west corner.
He built it in 1782 at a cost of £6000. It and the garden were
acquired in 1850 for an Eye Infirmary, at the price of £2800.
Charlotte Lane. Previous to the formation of London Street
in 1824 this was a labyrinthine passage extending from Great
Hamilton Street to Saint Andrew Square. The operation cut it in
two, and the eastern portion became for a time London Lane. But
the dwellers in the East liked not the title, and imagined that
they saw some resemblance in the passage to the narrow way
where the Mesopotamian soothsayer and his poor old donkey
encountered the celestial messenger with such marvellous results,
so they named it Balaam's Pass, pronounced Balaum's Pass, and it
was better known by this cognomen than any other for many years.
The authorities have lately put up fresh name-plates bearing the
legend Charlotte Lane.
Cheapside Street, after the thoroughfare of this name in Lon-
don, which got its title from having been the site of a cheap
Church Place (off Main Street, Anderston) has been the site
of a place of worship for well nigh one hundred and fifty years.
The Rev. James Stuart, who was the second minister of the
Kelief Church here, was ordained in 1775, having previously been
assistant at Saint Andrew's Church. He was a son of Prince
Charles Edward Stuart, and was born in Dunblane in 1745. He
died in 1819.
Claythorn Street was formed on the lands of Clay thorn, which
belonged to John Luke, who was an extensive merchant in the
Clyde Street (Great) was formerly known as the Horse Brae,
from the slope that led down to the ford. H ere the fairs and
markets were held for the sale of all kinds of quadrupeds.
Clyde Street (Calton) was formed on the property of John
Clyde, who was a biewer in Craignestock (which is in the vicinity)
in 1777. This family were the maternal ancestors of Robert
Dalglish of Kilmardinny, who was for many years a popular
representative of the city in Parliament.
Clyde (River), from the Gaelic word clith, meaning strong. It
is not to be confounded with Clwyd in Wales, it being the name
of the son of Cunedda Wledig, who conquered the Gwyddel or
Irish settlers in North Wales.
Cochrane Street, opened 1787, named for Andrew Cochrane,
who was Provost in 1760. It had previously been known as
Cotton Street, from the fact that it was almost entirely taken up
with the offices of cotton brokers, spinners, and yarn agents. The
Bird Market was held on the north side of this street previous to
its removal to a lane on the north side of Bell Street, City.
CoLEBROOKE STREET, named for Sir Thomas Edward Colebrooke,
Bart. He was for many years a popular Lord Lieutenant of
College Street, off High Street, was formed by the Corpora-
tion in 1794.
College Street (West) was formed on the site of a monastic
establishment, which at the Reformation was bestowed by the
Crown upon the College of Glasgow.
Collins Street, in honour of Sir William Collins, who was Lord
Provost in 1877. He was senior partner of William Collins,
Sons & Co., the well-known publishing firm.
Commerce Street was at first called Queen Street.
Cook Street, named for James Cook, a well-known engineei-
whose works were there. He engined some of the earlier steamers
on the Clyde.
Cornwall Street, Plantation, was named for a relative of Mrs.
Maclean, wife of the first proprietor of that name.
CoRUNNA Street, commemorative of Sir John Moore's victory
over the French on 16th January, 1809.
CowcADDENS Street was formed through the village of. So
named from being the place where cows were milked.
CowLAiRS was part of the commons belonging to the town. In
the burgh records of 9th March, 1631, it is recorded that part of
the lands of Cowlairs was let for ^6 13s. 4d., and the mikle hill
nearest Flemington, the Sagie Holm, part of Kowlairs, and
Channel Moss were let for 52 merks.
Craigtehall Street. This was the name of the greater part of
the Plantation estate, on which this street is formed, previous to
its acquisition by Mr. Robertson in 1783.
Cranstonhill was formerly called Drumother Hill. Some
sapient historian twisted this ancient title into Drumover Hill,
stating that it had acquired the latter cognomen from being the
spot to which all vagabonds were escorted when to the tune of the
" Rogues' March " they were drummed out of town. This was a
pure invention. The vagabonds were ejected at the Gallowgate
Port, so that they might benefit by a sight of the permanent
gallows (which stood on the Butts) en passant. '' Senex" mentions
that he saw a Highland woman escorted to Cranstonhill. This
must have been an exceptional case, and may have been done to
give her a chance of getting back to her native wilds. The true
solution of the name is to be found in two Gaelic words — druim
odhar — pronounced somewhat like "drumover," and meaning
the grey ridge. Peden, the Scottish prophet, prognosticated that
the Cross of Glasgow would ultimately be on this spot. At the
present rate of extension in this direction his prediction seems
likely to be fulfilled at no very remote date.
Crosshill deiives its name from an ancient cross which stood
on a height still named the Cross Hill. This monument was
about ten feet high and three-and-a-half wide, and bore a
sculptured representation of Christ entering Jerusalem riding on
an ass. It was removed by some vandals about the end of the
Crossmyloof. The origin of this name has been ascribed to
Queen Mary. The village, however, was not in existence in her
time, and the lands went under that name long anterior to the
Battle of Langside. It is said by A. M. Scott, the historian of
Langside, to be a compound of Latin and Gaelic in connection
with a cross of elm wood with which it was customaiy in Catholic
times to maik the boundary of the parish,
Crownpoixt Egad deiives its name from Crown Point House,
built here in 1761 by William Alexander, the name being that of
a famous stronghold on the Canadian frontier which was taken
from the French by General Ameihst.
Cumberland Street (Hutchesontow^n) is marked on M'Arthur's
map, made from actual survey in 1778, as Shields Lone.
Cumberland Street (Calton) is intersected by Canning Street,
and was originally known as North and South Cumberland Streets
respectively. There are no less than four thoroughfares of this
name in the city, and why the Butcher of Culloden comes to be so
unduly commemorated is past the comprehension of any patriotic
Scotsman ; but in the earlier days it was sufficient for those who
imposed those titles to sink all national feeling in the bigotry and
superstition of the time, and only to remember that he crushed
for ever the hopes of a pseudo Roman Catholic in his aspirations
to the throne. Tolerated somewhat in the same spirit, there
ramps as the chief ornament at the Ci'oss of our city the bonnet-
less and sandalled effigy of one whose whole life was permeated
with holy zeal, yet he lent himself to the carrying out of the
Massacre of Glencoe and the destruction of the Darien Expedition.
Dalbeth. This is a Celtic word signifying the field or meadow
covered with birchwood.
Dale Street (Bridgeton), named after David Dale, of Lanark
Mills, See Charlotte Street.
Dalmarnock Road was the highway to the estate of this name,
which is said to have been derived from Saint Marnock, who had
a cell at Kilmarnock; but this is mythical. In 1174 it was
written Dalmurnech, which is purely Celtic, from two words dael
and muranach, meaning the meadow or plain abounding in bent
Dean Street was formed on the lands attached to the Deaneiy.
Deanside Lane adjoins.
Delftfield was that part of the Broomielaw Croft which lay
between Robertson Street and Brown Street. It was named
after the town of Delft in Holland. A pottery was for many
years in operation here under the name of the Delftfield Co.,
which had been established in 1749.
Dempster Street, opened 1792, is only a fragment of its
oiiginal size, it having originally extended over a great part of
what is now Love Loan. It was named in honour of George
Dempster of Dunichen, who was M.P. for the Perth Burghs from
1761 till 1790. Dempster visited Glasgow in 1787, and as he
had opposed the repeal of the duty on French cambrics he was
made the hero of a torchlight procession which was organised by
the Bridgeton and Anderston weavers. This street when first
opened was called Botany Bay. Burns alludes to Dempster in his
epistle to James Smith.
Dennistoun. This suburb comprises seveiul properties acquired
iit different times, the first purchase being Golfhill by James
Dennistoun, who bought it from the trustees of Jonathan
Anderson in 1814. He built the mansion-house, where he
resided till he died on 11th October, 1835. His heirs and
successors continued to purchase adjoining lands up till 1864,
when the estate m cumulo extended to considerably over 200
acres, which is now fairly well covered with tenements and villas.
The Dennistouns have had a long and honourable connection
with this city, both as Virginia Dons and cotton magnates, and
politically they followed their heart more than their own interest,
jind it is well known that they gave more than sympathy to the
mifortunate Prince of the Forty-five when he honoured Saint
Mungo with his presence. The Colgrain bi'anch is the recognised
head of the name, they having a pedigree that goes back beyond
history when their ancestor gave the place-name to the district
beyond Finlayston in Renfrewshire. The Maxwells of Stanely
Castle came into possession of that holding through intermarriage
with the Dennistouns, it having been granted to Sir Robert de
Danielston by King Robert the Third on 24th August, 1392.
Dixon Street, named for William Dixon of Dixon's Blazes.
He was born at Govan in 1788. His wife, Elizabeth Strang, was
a sister of the City Chambei'lain. He died in 1862, and was
succeeded by his son, the late W. S. Dixon.
Dobbie's Loan is in great part an old Roman oi' military road,
and was until the beginning of last centuiy a straggling path
which in the sixteenth or seventeeth century foimed the access
to the crofts and common pasture on the north-west of the city,
and apparently had its name from John Dobbie, who owned land
early in the seventeenth century outside the Stable-Green-Port,
and members of the Dobbie family continued to hold land in the
district for a hundred and fifty yeai's afterwards.
Douglas Street, named for James Douglas of Mains. James
Campbell, the younger brother of Colin Campbell, the' fifth of
Blythswood, was left the estate of Mains by his mother's father,
and he then assumed the name of Douglas.
DovEHiLL (Great and Little) was originally the Dow Hill,
which was intended to mean dew hill. In Gaelic it is dhu ov
black hill. The monkish conveyancers, however, rendered it the
Hill of Doves.
Drury Street. Two youths residing here when it was in a
state of chaos, having got stagestruck through reading about
Drury Lane Theatre, and wishing to impart as much of a
theatrical air as possible to their envii-ons, got the name piinted
and posted on a corner building, w^hei-e it stuck to the wall, and
has stuck to the locality ever since.
Drtgate Street is undoubtedly the oldest thoroughfare in the
city. In Jamieson's histoiy of the Culdees it is stated that the
Pagans brought the word dry from Germany, as being the name
by which every Gei-man piiest was called. In ancient times,
anterior to our ecclesiastical history, a Druidical place of
worship stood on the site of the present Necropolis, the only
approach to which must have been the Diygate, hence it was
designated the priests' road. A mint-house was erected here
during the reign of Robert the Thii-d.
Duke Street, opened 1794, is named for the Duke of Montrose,,
whose lodging overlooked it. Previous to 1801 it extended as
far west as Balmanno Street, the name being cut deep in the
east corner tenement. It was at first known as Carntyne Road,
and is the longest street in any city in the United Kingdom,,
which came out in the following way : — In the course of a
controversy in a weekly periodical on this question, a prize being
ofiered to the person who solved the matter, Oxford Street,
London, was given and accepted as the longest ; but our respected
townsman Mr. M. Gemmel, the well-known property agent, had
reason from his own knowledge to be dissatisfied with the awai-d,
:in(l he had the street measured, it turning out to be, as he
expected, considerably longer than Oxford Street.
DuMBRECK is a corruption of the Gaelic word dunbreac, meaning
the hill speckled with daisies, otherwise the spotted rising ground
or ridge where heathei', bracken, and pasture alternated. The
name at present embraces a large area, but originally applied only
to Bellahouston Hill, now included in the public park. This in
the olden time was the property of the Rowans, one of the oldest
teriitorial families in Govan. The old mansion of Holmfauldhead,
near Linthouse, and at present (1901) in course of demolition,
was their last residence in the district. By the way, the late
Earl of Dufferin's lady is the eldest daughter of the late Archibald
Rowan Hamilton of Killyleagh Castle, County Down, whose
grandsire was Archibald Hamilton Rowan, a son of Old Holm-
fauldhead, as he was called. This Archibald was rather advanced
in his politics, and went to Ireland, where he became secretary to
the Society of United Irishmen in 1793, in which year he came
to Edinburgh, and for challenging the Lord Advocate of Scotland
to fight a duel had to cut and run. Time toned him down, and
he behaved better after.
Duncan Street (Calton), named in honour of Admiral Duncan,
the hero of Camperdown.
DuNDAS, Port, named for Sir Laurence Dundas, who cut the
first sod of the Forth and Clyde Canal on 10th June, 1768, and the
eastern portion, on his own estate, was the foundation of Grange-
mouth, of which the Earl of Zetland, his descendant, is the
DuxcHATTAN STREET is formed on the lands of Dunchattan, of
which George Macintosh was the proprietor. The name means
the hill of the Cattanach or Clan Chattan, of which The Macintosh
DuNLOP Street, opened 1772. Colin Dunlop of Clyde Iron
Works, who was Provost in 1770, opened this street, and built
the mansion fronting Argyle Street in 1 750. It is the second
from the east corner, and is the oldest building in the street.
George Murdoch, Avho was Provost in 1766, had a residence at the
corner. It was almost identical with Dunlop's, and latterly was
for many years occupied as the Buck's Head Hotel.
Eaglesham Street (Plantation), after the village in Renfrew-
shii^e of this name, where the paternal ancestors of the present
proprietor of this estate had been engaged in cotton-spinning,
they having been proprietors of the factory there in the palmy
days of the trade. The late John Ramsay of Kildalton, who was
M.P. for the Falkirk Bui^ghs in 1874, was in his youthful days a
clerk in this factory when it was being run by Mr. White.
EglTxNton Street was originally called Marlborough Street, but
at the opening of the Paisley and Johnstone Canal, of which
concern the Earl of Eglinton was chairman, the name was
Finxieston Street was formed on the lands of Stobcross, at
that time held by John Orr of Barrowfield, who named it
after a Mr. Finnic, who was a tutor in his family.
FiRPARK Street formed the northern boundary of what was
previoush^ known as the Fir Park, now the Necropolis.
Flemington Street. Part of the lands of Cowlairs, through
which this street was formed, was known of old as Flemington.
FoRDXEUK Street, as its name denotes, was the ford in the
corner over Camlachie Burn.
Fox Street, named in honour of Charles James Fox, the cele-
Franklin Street, named in honour of the American Benjamin,
who was at once statesman, scientist, and philosopher.
Eraser Street, named for D. D. Eraser, a well-known clothier
in the east end of the city, who speculated extensively in
Frederick Street, opened 1787, was named for the Duke of
French Street. It was at first called Papillon Street, after
Pieri'e Jacques Papillon, who was brought from Rouen in France
in 1785 by George Macintosh to superintend a Turkey-red dyeing
estabHshment, which latterly assumed such large dimensions in
the hands of Henry Monteith & Co.
Gairbraid Street was formed on the lands of this name, which
was the patiimonial estate of Miss Mary Hill.
Gallowgate Street was formed through the Gallow Muir,
which was outwith the Gallowgate Port, near St. Mungo's Lane.
Gardner Street (off Dumbarton Road) was formed on the
lands of IMuirpark, which had been acquired by Mr. Gardnei',
Garscadden Street, after the estate of this name in the parish
of New Kilpatrick and county of Dumbarton.
Garscube Road, named for the estate on the bank of the
Kelvin, in the parish of New Kilpatrick, and about four miles
from Glasgow. It is the seat of Sir George Campbell, Bart, of
Garthland Street, opened 1793. William Macdowal of Garth-
land, having bought the Shawfield mansion, formed this street in
the garden which w^as behind. It extended to the Back Cow
Lone, now Ingram Street.
George Square, opened 1787, and named in honour of King
George the Thii-d, of whom it was intended to have a statue in
the centre. The public were incensed when it was enclosed, and
drew down the railing several times.
George Street, east from George Square, was opened in 1792,
and is named for King George the Third, its extension westward
being called West George Sti-eet.
Germiston Street, after the lands of that name, which are on
the north side of the Monkland Canal, east of Saint Rollox.
Gibson Street (Hillhead), named for John Gibson, the superior.
It had previously been called King Street.
Gibson Street (off Gallowgate Street) is named for James
Gibson, a joiner, who feued the ground and formed the street.
Gilmorehill, whereon sits the College. The first part of the
name is purely Celtic, the latter English, and means the servant
of Mary's (Saint Mary) hill.
Girgenti is the rather foreign-sounding title of the small estate
which has been acquired for the isolation of habitual inebriates.
Timothy Pont, at page 61 of his " Cunningham," mentions, in
relation to it, that a small section of the Barony of Bonshaw was
acquu-ed by a Captain John Cheape of the army, who resided on
it during the last 20 years of his life. This obscm^e little farm
had been previously known by the name of Muirhead ; but the
new owner changed the name to Girgenti, in compliment to the
town of that name in the island of Sicily, to which place in his
former peregrinations he mayhap had found cause to form an
attachment. He resided here from 1829 till his death, which
occurred in the spring of 1850. The property consisted of about
50 Scotch acres. He built a new mansion-house and expended
iibout ^6000 on a property the original cost of which was £1350.
Glassford Street, opened 1793, is formed on the site of Henry
Glassford of Dougalston's garden. The Shawfield Mansion was its
southern boundary, the eastern wing of which is still there, though
considerably altered; and the writer lemembers seeing, pre-
vious to the last alteration, the hooks in the wall whereon had
hung the old garden gate. Since the foregoing was written, the
remaining remnant of the old mansion has been swept away, the
site having been acquired for a bank.
Glebe Street, as its name denotes, was formed on church lands.
GoosEDUBBS Street originally extended from Stockwell Stieet
to the Old Wynd, but railway extension has curtailed it. The name
originated from the geese belonging to Provost Aird, who resided
in Aird's Lane, which adjoins, disporting in the dubbs or puddles
in the street.
GoRBALS. Garbales is an old term in Scotch law meaning
teinds, which may be the oiigin of the name. The Magistrates
and Council bought the lands of Brigend or Gorbals from Sir
Robert Douglas of Blaickerston in 1647 for £81,333 6s. 8d.
Scots — the half for Hutchesons' Hospital, and the other half
between the City and the Trades' House. This purchase included
Kingston, Tradeston, Laurieston, and Hutchesontown, bounded
on the south by Sti'athbungo.
Gordon Street, opened 1802, was formed on ground belonging
to ]Mr. Gordon of Stirling, Gordon & Co. They were extensive
merchants. The family are now represented by Henry Erskine
Gordon of Aikenhead.
GovAN. Chalmers, in his " Caledonia," says the name is a
modifictition of a Gaelic word gamhau, pronounced gavan, and
signifying a ditch. Leslie, a historian, thinks it comes from two
Saxon words, god and tviii, signifying good wine; but this is
too far fetched, as the burgh never had much to do with wine, so
that the fiist is the more likely origin.
Grace Street is formed on the lands of Stobcross, and is
named in memory of the youngest daughter of John Geddes of
Yerreville Pottery, she ha^'ing been burned to death one night
when dressing for a ball.
Gr^me Street (oflf High Street) was named after Robert
Graeme, a former Sheriff- Substitute.
Grahamston, a district in Anderston, on the north side of Argyle
Street, was named for John Graham of Dougalston, who died in
GuiLDRY Court (ofi' Bridgegate Street) is immediately behind
the site of the Old Merchants' House, which was begun to be
built in 1651, but the steeple was not finished till 1663. It is
still in existence, but the grand old hall was taken down many-
years since. The Merchants' House Corporation returns five of
the nine members who constitute the Dean of Guild Court, in-
cluding the President or Lord Dean.
Hallside Street, after the estate of this name, which is in the
parish of Cambuslang, and is distant about seven miles from
Hamilton Street (Great), opened 1813, and named for John
Hamilton of North Park, who was Chief Magistrate. It had
previously been a footpath known as The Pleasants, and was inter-
spersed with self-contained houses, which had gardens back and
front. It was at that time nine or ten feet above its present
level, and culminated in a hillock about fifteen feet high near its
eastern extremity, where stood the toll-house. The Green
reached in at this point with a clump of trees, whose branches
overhung the roadway till within the last fifty years. The street
ends a few yards east of this, where a small burn or gott crosses it,
and this burn was of old the dividing line between the City and the
burgh of Calton.
Hamilton Street (Little), opened 1791. This street had
previously been known as the Beggars' Bow.
Hangingshaw, a place where people were executed. Aitken-
head Road and Prospecthill Boad converge upon and cross each
other in this district, and both of them, previous to assuming
their present titles, were known as the Hangingshaw Boad.
Hangman's Houses. This was a row of small dwelling-houses,
which stood on the north-east boundary of the ground pertaining
to the College, on the line of Drygate Street. They are marked
on a map printed in 1775. The last of the professionals who
resided there was known as Hanging Wattie. Tam Young, who
died in 1835, was the last of the stock executioners, and " Senex"
mentions that his family, ashamed of the odium attached to the
calling, went into a far country and sank out of sight. Tliey did
not do an}i}hing of the kind. Tarn's son and name-beaier, who
was well known to the wiiter, followed a professional occupation in
this city till the day of his death, which took place several years ago,
Hanover Street, opened 1787, and is named for the Electoi- of
Hanover. This title was borne by the kings of Biitain from the
time of King Geoi-ge the First till the death of William the
Fourth, when, in vii'tue of the Salic law, it passed by inheritance
to Ernest, Duke of Cumberland. This thoroughfare had previously
been called David Sti-eet.
Harvey Street (off Paisley Road), from the Christian name of
Harvey Brand, who was proprietor of the ground on which it was
Harvey Street (Port-Dundas), after Thomas Harvey, who
was originally a cartel- ; but he ultimately became proprietor of
several licensed shops, where he sold meal and whisky, and
amassing considerable wealth, he built a distillery in this street,
and became proprietor of the lands of Westthorne, which abut
upon the banks of the Clyde near Belvidere, where he resided.
To secure complete privacy in his domain, he tried to stop the
light-of-way by the river bank, and built a high wall close down
to the water. The public threw it down, only to be rebuilt, this
time surmounted with a cheveitx cle frise and a watch- to wei-. A
gang from Biidgeton, assisted b}^ some miners, blew up the greater
part of the little fort with gunpowder. The military latterly had
a skirmish in the affiiir. Meantime Harvey's shops weie
boycotted. The matter was fought in the Court of Session,
culminating in the House of Lords in favour of the public, which
spelled ruin for Tam Harvey of Harvey's Dyke.
Harvie Street (off Dalmarnock Road), named for Douglas
Harvie, sometime a contractor there.
Havannah Street, opened 1763, and named by Gavin
Williamson in honour of the caj^ture of the capital of Culm. He
had been with the naval contingent, and with his prize-money
hnilt the fii'st tenement in it. This thoroughfare has been
swallowed up in extending the College Railway Station.
High Street, opened in 1100. Tt led to the highest part of
the town, but it was of little account until the University was
erected in it.
HiLLHEAB. Andrew Gibson had been tenant of these lands
conjointly with those of Byres of Partick up till June 1702, when
he became proprietor, his forbears having been rentallers of the
same for a considerable period prior to his succession. The same
family were also proprietors about this time of the estates of
Overnewton and Balshagrie, and as showing the state of society
in the good old days, we find it on record that John Gibson of
Hillhead is outlawed for non-appearance at the Court of Paisley
in 1687 to answer a charge of robbing an orchard at Whyteford,
and. in company with others, committing an outrage upon the
proprietor, Mr. Kibble, who was ancestor of the Kibbles of
Greenlaw. Another member of the same family w^as a sort of
Greirson of Lagg in regard to the Covenanters who came under
his ban while holding the office of Chief Magistrate.
Holm Street foi-med the southern boundary of the holm or
hollow called Blythswood Holm.
Hope Street, v/hen first opened, was called Copenhagen Street.
Hospital Street is formed upon the site of St. Ninian's Leper
Hospital, founded by Lady Lochow in 1350.
HouLDSWORTH Street is named after Henry Houldsworth. He
came from Nottingham towards the end of the eighteenth century
to manage a cotton-spinning factory which stood on the banks of
the Kelvin. His success was phenomenal, as by the beginning of
last century he was running on his own account a large factory
in Cheapside Street and also a machine shop in John Street
(City), where he was the first to make cotton-spinning machinery
in Scotland. On the decay of the cotton trade he merged into
that of iron, by starting the Anderston Foundry ; and the family
are now represented by the Houldsworths of Coltness, which
estate they purchased in 1836.
Howard Street (City), opened 1798, and named after the
famous philanthropist. Tiiis street was in gi-eat part formed upon
the line of the old rope walk, which extended at one time from
Ropework Lane to Oswald Street. The eastern part of the
street from Maxwell Street to Stockwell Street is called East
Howard Street, and it occupies to a considerable extent the grave-
yard of the old Town's Hospital, which stood a few yards east of
Saint Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral.
HoziER Street (Biidgeton) was named for James Hozier of
Mauldslie, who was Superior of the Barrowfield estate. The name
was originally M'llhose. His grandfathei' was a maltman in
Gallowgate Street, and built the tenement at the south-west corner
of Candleriggs Street. The family are now represented by Lord
HuTCHESOx Street, opened 1790, occupies the site of the first
Hutch esons' Hospital. George Hutcheson, the founder, was born
sometime between 1550 and 1560. He was joined in the work by
his brother Thomas. Their father was Thomas Hutcheson of
Lambhill. George was a lawyer and money-lender. His office
and house were on the north side of Trongate Street, near the site
of the Tontine. In 1611 he built a house in Partick on the banks
of the Kelvin. He died in 1639.
Hyde Park Street was foinied through the demesne of Hyde
Park, whereon were a mansion-house, a tan-yard, and its adjuncts.
Ibrox is both British and Gaelic, and is said by a local historian
to mean the haunt of the badger (brock, Gaelic hruic, a badger).
Another savant thinks that the name may have come from a
rentaller, Broc — this name, and Brokas, both occurring in the
rental book of the Diocesan Registers. In a charter dated 1580
the name is written Ibrokes.
Ingram Street, opened 1781, is named for Archibald Ingram,
who had been Provost in 1762. It was previously known as the
Back Cow Lone.
Jackson Street (from Stockwell Street to Dunlop Street) was
formed by Mr. Jackson, who built the first theatre in Dunlop
Street in 1782. This thoroughfare is now swallowed up in the
G. & S.-W. Railway Station.
Jamaica Street, opened 1763. This was about the height of
the rum and sugar trade, hence the name.
James Watt Street, in honour of James Watt, the inventor
of the steam engine. It had previously been known as Delftfield
Lane. An old mansion which stood here till 1849 was known as
Watt's House. It was said to have been utilised by him as a
workshop for several years. A sketch of this house is given in
Simpson's " Glasgow in the Forties."
Janefield Street was formed on the lands of that name, which
had been acquired by Robert M'lSTair, grocer in King Street
(City), and named for his wife, her maiden sobriquet being Jean
Holmes. The place has since then been converted into a burying-
ground — the Eastern Cemetery.
John Street (City) was named for several municipal magnates
at that time (1785) in office ; therefore it should have been Johns'
John Street (Bridgeton), named for John Walkinshaw, third
Keir Street, named for the patrimonial estate of the Stirlings,
who were the successors of the Maxwells of Pollok.
Kelvin, the wooded river.
Kent Street, opened 1802, and named for the Duke of Kent,
father of our late beloved Queen. It is formed on part of the
Round Croft, which belonged to Mr. Struthers, the brewer. He,
like another townsman, had a penchant for English names, and
styled the other street on the croft Sufiblk Street.
KiLLERMONT Street, after the lands of this name, on the banks
of the Kelvin, in the parish of New Kilpatrick, about four miles
from the city.
King Street (City) and King Street (Calton) were both
called New Street till early in last century.
Kingston consists of the western portion of the lands pur-
chased by the Magistrates and Council from Sir Robert Douglas
in 1647. They extended from West Street to Kinning House
Burn, and from the River Clyde to the lands of Shields.
Kingston Dock, authorised by Parliamentary Acts of 1840-46,
was not completed till 1867. It was formed on the lands of
Springfield, which had previously been occupied by the cotton-
.spinning factory of Todd & Higginbotham.
Kinning Park. This burgh was formed on the lands of the
name. The mansion of the estate (Kinning House) stood till
within the last thirty years a few yards east of Kinning Place, on
Paisley Road. The name is said by a local historian to signify
"rabbit park," but this is a misnomer. The true derivation is
from cunyie or cunnyng, a corner. As shown in old maps,
Cunnyng Park was a field formed into an angle by the intersection
of the burn and the road.
Kirk Street (Townhead), opened 1 1 24, or earlier. A distillery
was ill operation here in 1786, carried on by William Menzies,
who was the first in the West of Scotland to have an entered
still, his license being the fourth in Scotland, the duty at that
time being about one penny per gallon, and the best malt spirits
were sold for three shillings per gallon. The name of this street
has disappeared in the march of improvement. It was formerly
the westei'ii boundary of Cathedi'al Square, being a continuation
of High Street till it joined Castle Street.
Ladywell Street. The name originates from a well, which is
in a niche in the wall on the north side of the street, which is
bounded by the Necropolis ; and it having contaminated the water,
the well, which is in the form of an urn, was closed some years
Lambhill Street (Plantation) was so called out of compliment
to the late William Graham of Lambhill, he having been one of
the trustees of Mr. Maclean, proprietor of the estate.
Lancefield Street was formed on the lands of this name, which
were acquired early in the last centmy by David Napier, the
father of iron shipbuilding and marine engineering on the Clyde.
Landressy Street should be Landres Street, after a small
village in France, from whence came one of the Turkey-red
operatives, who built the first house in this street. It was the
division between the lands of Burn Nook and Silver Grove.
Langside is rich in historic names. Battlefield and Battlefield
Road are there to commemorate the struggle which quenched in
blood the hopes of Scotland's beauteous but unfortunate Queen.
The memory of her secretary, Maitland of Lethington, is revived
in Maitland and Lethington Avenues, and that of Lord Claud
Hamilton, the commander of her forces on that inauspicious day,
in Hamilton Avenue. The four Maries, as the old song runs —
There was Marie Beaton,
And Marie Seyton,
And Marie Carmichael and me
— are each brought to mind in Beaton Road, Seyton Aveiuie,
Carmichael Road, and Queen Mary Terrace, with Queen Mary
Avenue in Crossbill.
Laurieston. This is a district on the south side of the rivei-,
which was feued from the trustees of Hutchesons' Hospital about
the beginning of last century by James Laurie, son of David
Laurie, timber merchant, Jamaica Street. It was bounded on
the west by Bridge Street and Eglinton Street, on the east by
Buchan Street and Portugal Street, on the south by Cavendish
Street, extending north to Carlton Place, at the river side. Mr.
Laurie had a penchant for high-sounding English names, and in
laying off the lands gave us Bedford, Cavendish, Cumberland,
Norfolk, Oxford, Portland, Salisbury, and Warwick Streets. These
cognomens have remained, but Bridge Street, which he had named
Bloomsbury, has got a more suitable title.
London Street was foimed by the Corporation. It cut through
a densely-populated locality. The foundation-stone of the first
tenement in it was laid Avith Masonic honours on 30th April,
1824. It was originally intended to carry this street eastward in
front of Monteith Row and through the lands of Greenhead to
join London Road at what is now called Bridgeton Cross. This,
it was considered, would have been a more convenient route for
the stage coaches from London to enter the town than via
Gallowgate ; but the advent of railways and opposition of pro-
piietors caused the scheme to be abandoned, and the street
i-emains with an awkward twist at its eastern extremity.
MaCx\lpine Street, opened in 1800, was formed on the bleach-
field of Brown, Carrick & Co., and named for a junior partner.
Macfarlane Street, opened 1815, is named for Alexander
Macfarlane of Jamaica, who founded the observatory which
formerly stood on the summit of the Dowhill, which is now
occupied by a railway company.
Macintosh Street was formed on the lands of Dunchattan,
which had been acquired by George Macintosh about the beginning
of last century. He was proprietor of the Cudbear Works in
Duke Street, and the original partner of the Hurlet and Campsie
Alum Co. He was also associated with the St. Rollox Chemical
AVorks when the fiim was Macintosh, Tennant & Co. His son
Charles was the inventor of the waterproof coat.
Maclean Street (Plantation), named for William Maclean,
who acquired this estate in 1828.
Macphail Street, after Dugald Macphail, who was an extensive
cotton-spinner, and proprietor of several factories. His mansion,
which fronts the Green in Greenhead Street, is now occupied as
the Buchanan Institute.
Macpherson Street was formed on ground belonging to John
Macpherson of Blantyre Farm, whose coat-of-arms is emblazoned
till this day on the tenement at the south corner fronting High
Street. Saint Thomas Chapel stood at the eastern end of this
street in the olden time.
Main Street (Anderston) was called High Street previous to
Main Street (Gorbals) was called High Street up till the begin-
ning of last century.
Mains Street, for the estate of Mains, which came to the
Campbells of Bljrthswood through intermarriage with a Douglas of
Mains on the female side. About 1844 the name of this street
was altered to Minto Street, but it soon reverted to its old
Mair Street (Plantation), after John Mair, a former proprietoi-
of this estate.
Malta Street. This little street, 'which formed the east end of
Norfolk Street and led into Main Street, has disappeared in the
march of improvement. It was at first called Malt Street, from
the circumstance that from time immemorial it liad been inhabited
by maltmen, who made malt and brew^ed ale.
Maryhill was named for Mary Hill, proprietrix of the estate
of Gairbraid. She, with the consent of her husband, Robert
Graham, feued a plot of ground on 21st July 1793 to Robert
Craig, grocer, one of the conditions of the feu contract being that
the plot w^as in all time coming to be known as Maryhill. This
was the foundation of the burgh.
Mason Street was originally the site of the manse of the
Rector of Renfrew. It was acquired in 1598 by John Rankene,
a mason ; he named it after his trade.
Mauldslte Street is named for the residential estate of Lord
Newlands, whose ancestor, James Hozier, was superior of the
Maxwell Street, opened 1771. The ground upon which it is
formed belonged to John Maxwell of Fingalton, from whom it was
bought by Stephen Maxwell of Morriston, who was an extensive
coppersmith. He was also chief partner in the Merchant Bank,
the office of which was in this street, and it was he who named it.
Merchants' Lane is the eastern boundary of what was the old
INIerchants' House property.
Merryflats, rather a strange title for a poorhovise. It was
originally the muiry or miry flats. In the commissariot of Go van
John Rowand or Rowane is mentioned as proprietor of Merrie-
Miller Street, opened 1760 by Mr. Miller of Westerton, whose
property it was carried through.
Mitchell Street derived the name from a Mr. Mitchell, who
had a distillery in it.
Molendinar Burn was in ancient times called the Gyrth or
Monteith Row. In 1819 lining was granted for the erection
of a terrace south of and parallel to Great Hamilton Street, to front
the Green, and to be named in honour of Henry Monteith, who w^as
at that time Provost of the City. He was one of the Turkey-red
magnates and the founder of the Carstairs family. John
Mathieson, who was manager to Henry Monteith & Co., built the
first tenement in the Row. The Carstairs estate passed lately into
tlie possession of ex-Lord Provost Sir James King.
MoNTEiTH Street (Bridgeton) is also named foi- Heniy
Montrose Street, opened in 1787, was named for the Duke.
This is one of the steepest streets in the City, and the writer's
paternal parent, while attending an educational establishment in
it during the early years of last century, was in the habit during
the course of a severe winter of tobogganing down the slope in
company with his schoolmates. One day, while half a dozen of the
little wretches were careering down on their temporary sleigh, the
boy in front got skeered, and at this moment Dr. Rankin, of the
Ram's Horn Church, which is in the vicinity, came stepping out of
Richmond Street, halfway down the slope, carefully watching his
footing on the ice-bound street and all unweeting of the
avalanche behind. It was on him in an instant, and in rushing
past, one of the boys, in desperation, grabbed the reverend gentle-
man's nether limb, with disastrous results. Instantly his heels were
in the air ; hat, cane, and spectacles — where, oh, where ! He w^as
virtually a wreck, and never thoroughly recovered the shock, dying
not long after in February 1827, in ignorance of the author of his
unfortunate coup. Montrose is perhaps unduly commemorated in
having two streets named for him, but as he is the only Duke on
record that had a residence of his own in town, he is perhaps
entitled to the extra recognition, as even at the present day the
patent nobility seem to eschew this city, every titled personage
having a residence in it, with three exceptions, having acquired
their honours from civic services.
MoRDAUNT Street, for Lady Mordaunt, who gained considerable
notoriety some years since.
Mount Florida was at first called Mount Floiidon. Advei-
tisements anent these lands can be seen in files of the Glasgow
Herald of seventy years ago.
Mount Vernon was named after a tobacco plantation in
MuiRHEAD Street (Gorbals) was named for Robert Muirhead,.
who was a Bailie in the town in 1798. It w^as, however, for many
years better know^n as Wai-ni Water Street, from a flow of waste
liot w^ater that came from a factory and ran dowai the side of the
street into the river.
MuiRPARK Street was formed on the lands of this name, which
]iad been acquired by Mr. Gardner, flesher, Partick.
Xapiershall Street was formed on land belonging to Thomas
Xnpier, wlio was a watchmaker in Glasgow in 1763.
Xelsox Street (City), opened 1797, was named in honour of
Xewhall Street was formed on the lands of Newhall, which
were oi-iginally possessed by Mr. Allan.
XiCHOLAS Street w\as formed on the site of St. Nicholas
Hospital, which was founded in 1450.
XoRFOLK Street. See Laurieston.
North Street (Anderston) was formerly known as the Lang-
Xuxeaton Street w^as formed on the property of the late
George Wilson, coalmaster, and his widow, who had gone to reside
in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, thought so much of it that she named
the new street for it. The name comes from a nunnery founded
by Robert, Earl of Leicester.
Orr Street is named for the superior who succeeded John
Walkinshaw in the Baii'owfield estate.
Oswald Street (City), opened 1817, is named for James Oswald
of Shieldhall. He and James Ewing of Strathleven represented the
City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832. It was the
western boundary of this gentleman's property, which extended
eastward to Stockwell Street, and the rope w^alk, which was in
operation till Avell on in last cent my, reached the entire length,
crossing Jamaica Sti-eet in an ovei-head gallery.
Oswald Street (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to
Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same
gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the
north-east corner of George Square.
Oswald Street (Whiteinch) and the lands of Scotstoun belong
to another branch of the same family.
Oxford Street. See Laurieston.
Overnewton Street is formed on the lands of that name, which
was the patrimonial estate of Walter Gibson, who was Provost of
the town in 1688.
Partick, of old Perdyec, from the Gaelic aper dim ec, meaning
the place at the confluence or mouth of the dark river.
Peel Street, named in honour of Sir Robert Peel, who passed
the Reform Bill of 1832. From his name originated the title of
" peeler," as applied to the police ; and from the interest he took in
the cause of Orangeism, the irrepressible Dan frequently prefaced
his attacks upon him in Parliament by addressing him as his
friend *' orange peel."
Phcenix Park is formed on the site of the Phcenix Foundry,
which was carried on for many years by Thomas Edington & Sons.
Piccadilly Street, after the thoi'oughfare of that name in
London, which got its title from a tailor named Higgins, who had
introduced piccadille, a French term for a kind of trimming set
round the edge of a garment, by which he made a fortune.
Pitt Street, named in honour of William Pitt, the celebrated
Plantation. These lands are composed of several smallei-
properties conjoined, the largest of which was Craigiehall, and this
was the name it was known by till 1783, when John Robertson,
who had sugar and cotton plantations in the West Indies, became
proprietor and changed the name to Plantation. In 1793 John
Mair, a native of Paisley, became proprietor. He had been a
builder, and while repairing a steeple there slipped and fell a con-
siderable distance, only saving his life by catching hold of a
projecting stone. He then gave up the building trade and
commenced the manufacture of muslin, in which he was so
successful that he ultimately made sufficient money to purchase
this estate ; and in the garden attached to the house he built a
stone seat, mounted with pinnacles overhead, to represent the
Paisley steeple, and he used to sit there and ponder on his fall,
which he said had been the cause of his rise. He died in 1824.
Plantation was next held by William Maclean, who got possession
in 1828. He died in 1867, and his son Joseph, who succeeded him,
laid off the lands for feuing, he removing to the adjoining cottage
of Haughead, where he had Mr. Mair's seat and appendages re-
erected. This property having been acquired by the Clyde
Trustees, Mr. Maclean was once more on the move, and having
built a spacious villa on the neighbouring estate of Dumbreck he
bestowed on it the title of Craigiehall, and here he resided till his
death, which occurred some years since.
Playfair Street is formed on part of the lands of Dalmarnock,
and here for many years a family of that name resided in a mansion
near the bridge.
PoLLOKSHiELDS, Wester SHIELDS, Shieldhall, and Shieldmuir
are all from a word signifying a bield or place of shelter.
PoLLOK Street is named for the estate on which it stands. It
is the widest street in the City, and was originally designed to be
continued over the railway to Saint Andrew's Road, Pollokshields.
PoLMADiE, although close to the City, was, from its peculiar
position, comparatively little known until within the last few years,
hence arose the saying, " Got o' the woil', and into Pomadee." The
name is derived from two Gaelic words signifying the stream oi-
pool haunted by wolves; and doubtless in the olden time
quadrupeds of this description were plentiful in the locale. Pre-
vious to 1249 an hospital was erected here for the maintenance of
the old people of both sexes.
Portland Street, opened 1802, was named in honour of the
Duke of Portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister.
Preston Street (off London Eoad) was named for John
Preston, who had a rope walk here during the greater part of last
Princes Street (from Saltmarket Street to King Street),
opened 1724, has disappeared through the operations of the City
Improvement Trust, It had previously existed as a thoroughfare
known as Gibson's Wynd, after Walter Gibson, who was Provost
in 1688. He was the eldest son of John Gibson of Overnewton, and
was widely known as a bitter persecutor of the Covenanters.
Queen Street, opened 1777, is named for Queen Charlotte. It
was formed on the property of Mr. M*Call, a zealous loyalist. It
was previously known as the Cow Lone.
Queen Mary Street (oflf London Road) is contiguous to the
site of Barrowfield House, where the legend, common to nearly
every old mansion in the country, is that the Queen spent a night
in it, hence the name.
Renfield Street and Renfrew Street. Campbell of Bl}i;hs-
wood's estate, near Renfrew, was called Renfield, and on his
residential property he bestowed the name of his much more
valuable Glasgow holding; but to make amends he named
two of his new streets in the city Renfield and Renfrew respec-
Richard Street is named for the son of "William Gillespie of
Wellfield, whose mansion stood on the west side of North Street
till within the last three years.
Robertson Street is on the Broomielaw Croft, a portion of
which had been acquired by the Smithfield Company, founded in
1734, and of which Mr. Robertson of Plantation was managing-
partner. It was, when first opened, called Madeira Street.
RoTTENROVV STREET. Tliis tliorouglifare comes next to the
Drygate in point of age, and it must have been a place of import-
ance in the olden time, for at its eastern end, at the intersection of
High Street and Drygate Street, stood the Cross of the town ; in
proof of which it is recorded in the protocols of the city that on
11th October 1575 James Rankin is "fund in the wrang and
amerciament of the Coui-t for the taking down at his ain hand of
ane great croce in Rattonraw^ pertaining to the town, and therefore
he is becoming in the Provost and Bailies will and dwme given
thereupon." Mr. Ren wick, Depute Town Clerk, who has edited the
protocols up to date, seems to doubt that this was the Town Cross,
from the fact that it was not supported by historical evidence.
(In regard to the historical argument, see Bridgeton.) Had this
been a holy cross to the memory of a saint or bishop, the indict-
ment would have mentioned it, and the dignitaries of the Church
would most likely have taken the punishment in hand, or at least
have had a say in it, but the Church is silent, and the Cross is
clearly stated to belong to the town, and, standing in the position it
did, points almost indubitably to it being the Town Cross. As to
the origin or meaning of the name Rottenrow, papers innumerable
on this subject have been written, and the most commonly accepted
finding is that it arises from Routine Row, a mixture of French
and English ; but this is too far-fetched. The word at present is
mis-spelled, and it was the first part of the name (rotten) that
upset theorists. Rottenrow Street is a misnomer ; it was not at
first called Rottenrow Street, but the Ratton Raw, as it still is
denominated by the older generation of plain-speaking Scotch
people, Row by this class being invariably pronounced Raw ; and
the original meaning of the w^ord Ratton or Rattoun having been
forgot, it easily became altered to Rotten, and it was this which
bred so many " rotten " theories respecting tlie name. In a book of
Scottish Pasquils of date 1568-1715, it occurs in the Bannatyne
MS., and was published by James Maidment, advocate, Edinburgh,
in 1868 for the first time. A ballad in this volume, entitled
"Woman's Truth," contains the word "rattoun," as applied to and
meaning a woman. In Balzac's "Harlot's Progress" (J. M.
Dent & Co.'s 1896 edition), at page 14, the word "rat" is used in
alluding to a young woman. It may have been a slang term some-
what similar to the word "maul," which is in common use in
designating their sweethearts by the lower order of youths in this
city at the present day. Slang as a rule only lives for a season, but
there are exceptions, a]id in this case it is quite evident that in
these far-back days "rat," "ratton," " rattoun," be they slang or
not, were terms signifying and applied to young women. This, I
think, clearly establishes the fact that the Ilattoun Row was the
woman's row or ladies' mile of that period, and there are good
reasons to support this theory, from the fact that in its pristine days
the Eow occupied the best natural position in the township. Being
situated on the ridge of a hill, with a southern exposure, which
guaranteed a dry site for dwellings, and with the gardens of the
Deanery spread out on the slope below, it certainly was the most
attractive street in the town, and as such would naturally become
the favourite parade of the ladies, hence the name. In fact, the
thoroughfare retained its favourable character up till within the
last seventy or eighty years, when the residenters were in the habit
of letting their houses as summer quarters, advertisements anent
which can be seen in old files of the Glasgow Herald. Tlie
University commenced its career in a small building in this street
in 1454, and this also might be adduced as another proof in favour
of the locality.
RuCHiLL, originally Roughill, was in the seventeenth century
the property of the Peadies, who were at that time a leading-
family in Glasgow, but has since then been held successively by
the Dreghorn, Dennistoun, and Dundas families. From the last
it was acquired by purchase early in last century by the late James
Davidson ; but he, having built a residence at Wemyss Bay,
resided mostly there, and Ruchill House was long tenanted by
the late J. H.- Young, a well-known manufacturer in the city.
In 1893 the Corporation purchased for a public park, from the
trustees of Mr. Davidson, 53 acres of the demesne at the price of
=£29,176 5s., on part of which they have since built an extensive
RuMFORD Street is named in honour of Count Rumford. His
name was Benjamin Thomson, and he got the title eonferied upon
him by the Elector Palatine. He was a philosopher of the
Saixt Andrew Square, opened 1787. It for a time was the
most fashionable part of the town. The roof of the poitico of
Saint Andrew's Church, which stands in the centre, contains the
first example in Scotland of what is known in architecture as the
flat arch, and it was looked upon as a marvel at the time.
Saint Andrew Street, opened 1771.
Saint Enoch Square was opened in 1782, the first church
and the present steeple having been erected two years prior.
The church having become unsuitable, it was taken down in 1827
and the present one erected. The name comes from Saint
Thanew, whose cell was on the site of the Tron Church in
Trongate Street ; and, despite statements to the contrary, there is
no proof of any building for religious purposes having occupied
the square previous to that of 1780. But anterior to the anni-
hilation of all landmarks in the locality by the operations of the
G. (fe S.-W. Railway Co., there was on the east side of Saint Enoch
Lane, about midway between Argyle Street and Howard Street,
a very old building of three storeys, with crow -stepped gables and
small square windows, which apparently had never been glazed ;
but all of them on the street and first flat had at some time been
fitted with iron bars. The walls were thick, and the floor, which
had been flagged, was about three feet below street level. This
building, when erected, had apparently faced the east, as there
was a built-up arched doorway that had been garnished with
pilasters in the back wall, which fronted a small yard that
intervened between it and a tenement in Saint Enoch Wynd. It
had all the appearance of having been a conventual or monastic
institute, and from this fact, and its contiguity to the square, may
have arisen the statement as to the existence of a previous church ;
and the only reason that can be ascribed for this ancient mass of
stone and lime having been overlooked by local archaeologists is
from the fact that it was the back of the building which fronted
the lane, the front, which presented its only striking architectural
features, being shut out from public view.
Saint Mungo Stree'L' (off Gallowgate Street) is nearly opposite
the Dovehill, where in ancient times stood the chapel and yard of
Little Saint Mungo, which was endowed by David Cunningham,
Arch-Deacon of Argyle in 1500.
Saint Ninian Street is formed upon Saint Ninian's Croft.
Saint Rollox is a corruption of Saint Roche. The chapel of
Saint Roche, the Confessor, stood on the common moor, on the
north side of the city, near the place now known as Saint RoUox.
In the Burgh Records, under date of 22nd May 1647, the Dean
of Guild is ordained to visit Saint Rollok's Kirkyard, and to set
up the " merche stanes."
Saint Vincent Street, to commemorate the victory of Sir
John Jervis, on February 15th, 1797, off Cape Saint Vincent.
Sai<tmarket Street, opened in 1100. It was then known as
Walcargate, deriving this name from being the residing place of a
colony of cloth waulkers or fullers. About 1650 the name was
changed, when it became the market for salt.
Saracen Street was formed on part of the lands of Possil,
which had been acquired by Walter Macfarlane & Co., of the
Saracen Foundry, for their works, which had originally been in
Saracen Lane, which formed the eastern boundary of the old
Saracen Inn, which fronted Gallowgate Street. The building is
still in existence, and it was in it that Dr. Johnson, on his return
from his Highland tour, rejoiced to find himself sitting once more
in front of a coal fire.
Sauciiieiiall Street derives its name from being formed on a
haugh or meadow where saugh trees grew. It is a corruption of
the Scotch word "sauchiehaugh," and is quite apart from its
meaning. The provost or flesher's haugh in Glasgow Green might
as well be called the provost's hall, which would be absurd, as hall.
in the common acceptance of the term, means a dwellmg. This
anghcising of Scotch words by ignorant and conceited persons is
veiy common, and leads to frequent erroi'. The eastern end of
this street, from Buchanan Street to West Nile Street, was
previously called Cathcart Street.
ScoTSTOux most likely got its name from Alexander Scott, who
in 1296 owned a considerable portion of Partick.
Shettleston. In the Origines Parochiales, published by the
Bannatyne Club in 1850, Shettleston is given as Schedinestun,
and it is said to have been so called from a daughter of Saint
Patrick's brother, or perhaps derived its title from some Saxon
colonist ; and the place is enumerated among the Bishop's
possessions in 1170. It is really wonderful the fertility of brain
possessed by some pundits. Shedinestun, when looked at broadly,
is only another way of spelling Sheddinston or Sheddinstoun,
the town at the Sheddins. The latter, from the Latin schiduis,
meaning cleft or split, is an old Scotch term signifying where the
road split or divided. As is the case at Shettleston, there are
several clachans or hamlets in the country styled "The Siieddans,"
and this entirely owing to their position at the divergence of the
roads. Shettleston is therefore plainly a corruption of Sheddinston,
and it undoubtedly derived its title from its position at the parting
of the ways; so the daughter of the patron saint of Ireland's
brother will require to get something else to keep her memory
green than this little spot at the east end of our city.
Shuttle Street was formed on the lands of Shuttlefield. It
had previously been known as Greyfriar's Wynd, the friars having
had a monastery here under a charter granted to them by King-
James the Third in 1479. One of the side walls of the old build-
ing stood till within the last three years, and a fragment can yet
be seen behind St. Paul's Parish Mission Hall by going up the
close or entry number 14.
SiLVERGROVE Street. The lands of Silver Grove were acquiied
by Mr. Ure, the writer's maternal ancestor, towards the end of the
eighteenth century. They had previously been occupied as a farm,
and the steading, with out-houses, which formed a square near
the south end of what is now Silvergrove Street, was converted
into small houses by Mr. Ure, entry to which was got by a slap or
lane at the south-west corner of Duncan Street, which adjoins,
and this isolated little hamlet was for many years known as The
Grove. On the portion of the lands fronting Canning Street, then
known as Barrowfield Road, the proprietor built a villa for
himself, likewise two cottages, one for his brother and the other
was said to be for his daughi er ; but she married an Edinburgh
solicitor named Donaldson and went off the scene. Tl e ground
was gradually feued off and built upon, but the villa and cottages,
one of the latter having quaint diamond-shaped window panes,
remained in a dilapidated condition till within the last fifty years.
When Silvergrove Street came to be formed they were swept
away. The name arises from a row of silver firs which bordered
the Camlachie Burn, which formed the south-east boundary of the
Stirling Ho ad was made as an approach to the Canal by
William Stirling &, Son, who were extensive merchants and manu-
facturers in the city.
Stirling Street (City), opened 1797, and named for the senior
partner of William Stirling & Son.
Stobcross Street was formed on the avenue leading to Stob-
cross House. The name arose from a wooden cross which stood
near the spot where the bye-road to the Clyde, now Finnieston
Street, branched off from the main highway leading from the
Bishop's Castle to Partick.
Stockwell Street derives the name from a, well which stood on
the east side, about half way down the street, and was wrought
with the old-fashioned wood stock, which vanished with the
introduction of the iron lever. This street was utilised as a buchts
or feeing maiket till the opening of the mai-ket in Graham Square.
Strathbungo is a Celtic word having some connection with a
stream running swiftly in a confined channel. In Johnston's
" Place Names of Scotland " it is given as Srath ^Fou Gah, YaUey
of Sainii Mungo, or the dear one. This is evidently manufactured,
as " mon gah " is pure Norse.
Struthers Street was named for Robert Struthers, brewer
who was the first Provost of Calton.
Sword Street is named for James Sword, through whose lands
of Annfield it was formed.
Texxaxt Street, after Charles Tennant, the elder, of Saint
Rollox Chemical Works.
Thomson Street (off Dake Street), after Bailie John Thomson
of Annfield Pottery.
Tradestox consists of that portion of land allocated to the
Trades House out of the purchase made from Sir Robert Douglas
by the Magistrates and Council in 1647. It is bounded on the
east by Bridge Street and Eglinton Street, on the north by the
River Clyde, on the west by West Sti'eet, and on the south by the
Paisley and Johnstone Canal. It was laid off for feuing by John
Gardnei", optician, who was the associate and friend of James
Watt. The names of almost every street in the section have been
changed since the plan was made. Centre Street alone excepted,
the first house in which was built by Thomas Craigie in 1790.
Trongate Street was at first known as Saint Thane w's Gate,
but the name was changed on the introduction of the Tron.
weighing establishment. The old title being cariied westward,
and getting metamorphosed, was imposed upon Saint Enoch
Tureen Street. A Mr. Bagnal ha(l a potteiy here, who made
a speciality in the manufacture of tureens; hence the name. He
was a Fi-enchman and a Roman Catholic. Duiing a fanatical
outburst in February 1780, the Protestants wrecked his place,
and smashed his crockery. He had also a shop in King Street
(Gity) which met the .same fate. For this considerate treatment
he was fortunately indemnified by the authorities.
Turner's Court, on the south side of Argyle Street, nearly
opposite Queen Sti-eet, was named for John Turner, spirit mer-
chant, Argyle Street. He died about 1797. This place during
the present year (1901), has in the course of re-building been
entirely swept away.
Union Street was called Union Place till Gordon Street was
opened in 1802. Sir Andrew Orr, who was Provost in 1854, had
a considerable monetary interest in this street, and he tried to
boom it, but it would not work, being too far west at that time
for high-class shops. The first Unitarian Chapel in the city ^vas
in this street, on the site now occupied by the office of the Weekly
Mail, the entrance to the church being by a stair in front. The
sect were not populai' at the time, and it was commonly remarked
that among the things not generally known in the city one of them
was that the highway to destruction was up an outside stair in
Union Street. But the sect, notwithstanding this Christian anti-
pathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then.
Ure Place, which forms three sides of a square at the north-
east corner of IMontrose Street, was named for John Ui'e, who
was a merchant in Gallowgate Street early in last century. His
business premises ^vere on the south side of the street, immediately
east of the Gallowgate Bridge. ^
Virginia Street, opened 1753, got its name from Provost
Andrew Buchanan of Drumpellar. He built the Virginia
Mansion, which stood at the north end, the site of which is now
occupied by the Union Bank.
Waddell Street, named foi- Mi-. Waddel of Stonefield, through
whose estate it was formed.
Walkinshaw Street, named for John Walkinshaw of Bairow-
field. He was an ardent Jacobite, having been out both in the
Fifteen and Forty- Five, and was ultimately taken prisoner, but
escaped by the aid of his wife, who was the sister of Sir Hugh
Paterson of Bannockbiirn.
Warroch Street is named for the junior partner of Murdoch,
Warroch & Co., who had a brewery here in 1765. In 1766 Mr.
Murdoch, the senior partner, was Provost of the town, and during
his tenure of office he was presented, when in London, to King
George the Third, who remarked that he was the handsomest
Scotsman he had ever seen.
Washington Street was named by Miss Mary Reid, the
proprietrix of the gi-ound on which it was formed, in honour of
the founder of American Independence, in accordance with hei
Weaver Street formed part of the lands belonging to the
Incorporation of Weavers. It was laid out for feuing in 1792.
West Street (South Side) formed the western boundary of
Tradeston. During the greater part of last century a railway
occupied the centre of this street throughout its entire length.
It was owned by William Dixon, of Go van Colliery, who utilised
it in the transport of coal direct from the pit to the harbour for
West Street (Calton) formed the western boundary of the
lands which lay between Mile-end and Broom ward.
Western Road (Great). The formation of this thoroughfare
was begun in 1839.
Whitehall Street was formed through the lands of Whitehall.
The old mansion, still standing, smoke-begrimed and weird-like,
is used as a store, and in appearance belies its name. In its
palmy days the lawn reached down to the river.
Whitehill Street was formed through the lands of White-
Whitevale Street was named in compliment after Whitehill
House. It was for many years a semi-private street, with a gate
at the end of it.
William Street (Anderston) is named after a son of Wilham
Gillespie of Wellfield, through which lands this street was
Wilson Street (off Candleriggs Street), opened 1790, derives
its name from a charity school, which stood on the north side It
was founded by George Wilson in 1778.
Windmill Croft. Sir George Elphinston, whose lands ex-
tended westwards from Gorbals to Kinning House Burn, erected
here, near the foot of West Street, a windmill for the use of his
tenants. It stood till 1749.
Wish art Street, named in honour of Robert Wishart, a
patriotic Bishop, who was the firm friend of Wallace and Bruce,
and he did not scruple at times to throw aside his vestments and,
buckling on his armour, take the field with his countrymen
against the Saxon invader. He had previously been Archdeacon
of Lothian, and was one of the Regency on the death of Alexander
the Third. He was elected to the See in Glasgow in 1271, and
died 26th November 1316, and was bm'ied in the Cathedral
between the altars of Saint Peter and Saint Andrew.
WoDDROP Street is formed on the lands of Dalmarnock, and
named for the Superiors who were among the original portioners
of Glasgow. James Woddrop of Dalmainock and James Woddrop,
younger, are witnesses to the later will of John Blackburne,
minister of the Baronie of Glasgow, who died May 1623. The
lands of Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by the Woddrops
Wood Lane (off Broomielaw Street) led to a timber yard, south
of Madeira Court. It is now engrossed in the Central Railway
YoEK Street was named for the Duke of Yoik, who was foi-
a time Commandei'-in-Chief of the British Army, witli frecjuent
YoRKHiLL. In the beginning of the eighteenth centuiy the
westmost section of the lands of Oveinewton, including the park
of Yorkhill, became the property of Robert Fulton Alexander,
merchant in Glasgow, and he, about 1805, built the present
mansion and gave the general name of Yorkhill to it and the
lands he had acquired.